Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1953 Old 03-18-2005, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks folks

I spun my antenna to the north and now receiving channel 50 in DT/HD
on voom. I then use the 6412 and buckeye for Toledo locals.

But I can't keep spending money on voom when they do not come through with a DVR. So it wont last much longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1953 Old 03-19-2005, 07:33 AM

I haven't been able to pick up WTOL's digital signal OTA since yesterday afternoon. Anyone else having that problem?
post #183 of 1953 Old 03-19-2005, 08:56 AM

It is coming in fine (611 &11) fine here.

OTA I do not get since I pointed the antenna north.
post #184 of 1953 Old 03-19-2005, 09:00 AM

WTOL 11-1,2,3 is fine in Monroe. Try a new channel scan and see if it comes in. What receiver do you have?
post #185 of 1953 Old 03-19-2005, 10:06 AM

i want to get ota hdtv on my computer. what equipment do i need, and is it possible. there's a ton of info on this website, but you all live in the area. any help?
post #186 of 1953 Old 03-19-2005, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by lakefront
WTOL 11-1,2,3 is fine in Monroe. Try a new channel scan and see if it comes in. What receiver do you have?

It turns out I have a receiver issue. I'm running a Dish 921 and it won't seem to lock on the digital subchannels of WTOL. It's in the hands of Dish support - which isn't exactly reassuring. Thanks anyway.
post #187 of 1953 Old 03-19-2005, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kilalove21
i want to get ota hdtv on my computer. what equipment do i need, and is it possible. there's a ton of info on this website, but you all live in the area. any help?

You may want to post this question in the HDTV Hardware forum and see if anyone there has some suggestions for you.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=25
post #188 of 1953 Old 03-22-2005, 07:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
For the Voom users in Toledo, I'm able to get everything OTA (ABC 19, CBS 17, NBC 49, PBS 29) except FOX 46. The Voom STB is getting 89 for signal strength on 46, which should be more than enough, but it will not lock on 46 in the scan mode.

Is anyone else having problems getting FOX 46 with the Voom STB?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #189 of 1953 Old 03-26-2005, 05:19 AM

Got this from Buckeye Cable regarding the Fox issue with using FF, Pause, REW, etc. on Buckeye's HD DVR.
Not sure if they're on the right track or not but at least they are working on the issue:

Subject: FOX HD DVR problem - update

I have been working with Motorola on the problem of trick modes (FF/RW) being disabled on DVR recordings of some FOX HD programs. At this point, the problem seems to be related to something that happens during the 10 p.m. switchover back to local programming.

I made three different DVR recordings of FOX 36 HD last night:

9:30 - 9:44 p.m. block - Trick modes worked fine.
9:45 - 10 p.m. block - Trick modes DID NOT WORK.
10 - 10:15 p.m. block - Trick modes worked fine.

Motorola will be scrutinizing the 9:59 - 10:00 p.m. timeframe of the MPEG capture that I sent them to see if they can figure out what is causing trick modes to become disabled.
post #190 of 1953 Old 03-31-2005, 10:19 AM

Ken

I just read your post, sorry but I think I am the only voomer in this Toledo HDTV forum.

I can get all of the Toledo channels including FOX when I point the antenna in the right direction.(I am actually in Bedford Township, Michigan a mile north of the state line)
I currently have the antenna pointed north to get some of the Detroit stations(UPN) in HD.

I am also a little confused on the numbers you are using. Our FOX is 36.

Fullwave2, thanks for your follow up. It got me again last night when I went to watch 24 on the DVR. Glad to know it isn't a plot.
post #191 of 1953 Old 03-31-2005, 01:58 PM

In my never ending quest to have everything, and at a discounted rate...
I am looking at the Sony DHG-HDD500, it is a HD DVR that is both cable and OTA. This would work great for OTA HD from Detroit and Buckeye for Toledo.

It says however that it needs a cable card from the local cable company.
When I ask a CSR they tell me it is a TV card and will not work with a STB.

Any comments?
post #192 of 1953 Old 03-31-2005, 03:30 PM

I am calling BS on Buckeye; CableCard (TM) is the logo in the Sony advertising, and the TV that I saw get setup had the CableCard logo.

Either the CSR does not know what she is talking about (likely), or buckeye is not willing to install their CableCard's into competing equipment (also likely).

Just a warning, the prices are not that much better for the cable card than the box.

Also they may not know how to set one up, the directions they have my be only for TV's, but I am sure that the Sony device will have directions.

I think an Email to Judy at Buckeye is in order... But I don't have her email address.

Good Luck
post #193 of 1953 Old 04-10-2005, 01:07 PM

Can anyone tell me if Buckeye Cable supplies the local HD affiliates using unencrypted QAM? I am wondering if I would be able to use one of the QAM-capable HD PCI cards (like the Air2PC or HD-3000). I'd be willing to bet that they do not, but figured I would ask.
post #194 of 1953 Old 04-12-2005, 02:44 PM

Guys, saw this in one of my trades, thought you might be interested.
Videditor

After more than a year of promoting Blu-ray as the best technology to replace DVD for storing HDV and winning proponents including Apple, a top executive at Sony, one of Blu-ray's major backers, has opened the door to the possibility of unifying the format with its arch rival, HD-DVD, said a report by IDG News Service.

Listening to the voice of the consumers, having two rival formats is disappointing and we haven't totally given up on the possibility of integration or compromise, Ryoji Chubachi, Sony's president-elect, said at a news conference last week in which he discussed the company's performance and future strategy.

The rival camps have assembled consortiums of major electronics companies, disc makers and Hollywood studios to promote the formats in a battle that echoes one fought a quarter of a century ago between Betamax and VHS.

HD-DVD backers, which include NEC and Toshiba, say HD-DVDs can be produced for about the same price as DVDs and are backward-compatible with DVDs and CDs, making the format more convenient for both consumers and the industry. HD-DVD movie titles, PC drives and players are all due out by the end of the year.

Sony has steadfastly promoted Blu-ray as a technology that has greater capacity, saying this makes the format more useful because more content can be stored on a disc. The technology also has wide support in the technology industry, although release dates for movie titles have not yet been announced.
post #195 of 1953 Old 04-29-2005, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Folks,

Just got Buckeye HD and the DVR. I read that the firewire ports are outputing a signal.

Is this still true? I called Buckeye and they told me no (after a long wait)...but I got the feeling they were being less than truthfull.

Are the wirefire ports active?

Tom

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #196 of 1953 Old 04-29-2005, 06:08 AM

Tom,
The firewire ports I have heard are active, check out some of the earlier pages in this Toledo thread. However, it's not your 1394IEEE firewire signal, meaning you cannot connect your camcorder or dvd-recorder and record from, say the dvr to archive a show. Many of those connectors are not active at this time.
The only activity from the firewire port came from someone who imported shows into his computer for playback. I have not done my homework on this box, but remember what has been said & what I have tried. I know Motorola is still upgrading software for this box, hopefully a true active consumer firewire signal will be part of it.
Hope this helps, maybe some others will chime in.
Videditor
post #197 of 1953 Old 04-29-2005, 07:54 AM

Unless something has changed, it is possible to capture HD and SD content to your computer using the firewire connectors on the 6412 from buckeye...

Here is the link on how to do this, be sure to follow the directions to the word:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=403695

As far as other consumer devices, many people are capturing content to DVHS and to Firewire enabled TV's with the 6412. I don't see why this would not be possible on our boxes, because all the software does on the computer is simulate a JVC DVHS recorder. You will not however be able to see any of the GUI (Graphical User Interface), like the guide, or time indicator that appears when fast forwarding or pausing, through this interface.

Let me know if you need more info!
post #198 of 1953 Old 04-29-2005, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys! This is the info I needed.

I am going to give the PC emulation of the JVC DVHS a shot first. I may then pick up a DVHS machine to archive to tape.

Tom

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #199 of 1953 Old 04-29-2005, 12:37 PM

1. Can the Firewire be used for input to the 6412?

I am looking for a way to input OTA (preferably HD) from my Voom stb box to the 6412. That would give me some use for the box and I could then have Detroit HD through the 6412?

2. Could the firewire be used as input to a DVD recorder?
I could then record from 6412 to DVD at a better PQ than composite.
post #200 of 1953 Old 04-29-2005, 01:53 PM

Answer to #2: As of now, the firewire will not go directly to a DVD-Recorder. I have tried the FW output into my DVD-R & camcorder - does not work. Like I said above. Seems only this PC transfer works. I have many buddies at BCS, and talking to one today he said this about Motorola: "they are NOTORIOUS for putting attractive ports on the box, then saying it's for future deployment." He is checking with Motorola about future software changes to see if these connections will ever become "ACTIVE".
More when I get it.
post #201 of 1953 Old 04-30-2005, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay folks...I hooked up the Moto box to my puter today.

The Good News: It works....kind of. I can record Leno, Conan and any other HD programming from any of the BROADCAST HD channels

The Bad News: Buckeye has disabled the HD channels such as HDnet or TNTHD these are NOT streamed out of the 1384 port!

From what I read...this seems to be a trend among cable providers.

ANyway...the stuff I really want to record is on the networks (Masters/Oscars/Grammys/Olympics).

Probably gonna pick up a DVHS machine now that I know I can get something out of the firewire jacks.

Tom

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #202 of 1953 Old 05-01-2005, 10:11 AM

Yeah, Buckeye is most likely encoding those premium content channels with 5C protection. The PC emulation is not 5c compliant. This is something that many broadcasters/copyright owners require (or want to require) so that we can't record a HD movie and then don't have to buy it.

There are SEVERAL people on this forum recording/archiving to DVHS (including some 5c material), but I would make sure that you have a good return policy just in case; and I think that I read about archiving to DVD recorder with the 6412. It has been my experience that buckeye is pretty much following the rest of the cable industry. So if other people are using the 6412 & TV Guide interface to do something we in Toledo should be able to also.

A quick search did not turn up anything about DVD recorders and the 6412, but maybe a post in the HDTV Recorders and Players forum, might help with a broader audience... If you find something out, let us know.

videditor, I don't doubt that it does not work with your DVD recorder, and I doubt that the firewire ports on the Moto box are 1394 compliant, but because they are not compliant, a different brand recorder my work to archive. Have you tried SD channels, analog and digital?
post #203 of 1953 Old 05-01-2005, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Guys,

Well I picked up a cheapie JVC 3000 DVHS (yes I am aware of the controversies of thr 30K) and indeed I can now time shift all of the HD channels with this unit with the exception of TNT-HD which is copy protected.

I did have some problems recording a previously recorded program from the DVR Hard Drive (seems like a data flow/hard drive issue) but live realtime seems to work well.

I have bag loads of SVHS tapes that I can use with this unit (soldering iron in hand!)

Tom

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #204 of 1953 Old 05-02-2005, 08:14 AM

Great to hear it, Tom!

Let me know how that 30K works out for you, if I could find one cheap, I may do that to archive off some shows... It would be easier than the PC...
post #205 of 1953 Old 05-02-2005, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

So far the 30K has been perfect. Playback looks great through components to my plasma.

One question....do you guys get occasional dropouts or freezeups with your DVR? I'm getting the scattered freezup every once in a while. It is not a big issue...but just wondered if it is my DVR box.

I recorded two episodes of Hogans Heroes to the DVR earlier today and in both episodes I got a brief freeze. Is this a network feed issue or a Buckeye issue or a DVR issue? Is this just one of those things that happens with digital cable?

Thanks!

Tom

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #206 of 1953 Old 05-04-2005, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

A followup....I swapped DVR boxes today. I had a late night of freezes last evening and Buk suggested a new box. SO far seems like this has resolved the problem.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #207 of 1953 Old 05-04-2005, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I spoke too soon...got some minor pizelization/freeze tonight on HDnet movies. I assume this is just a part of HD life.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #208 of 1953 Old 05-06-2005, 07:30 PM

From info I received today, there is a solution for the no FFWD/REV etc on some of those Fox shows we have discussed in the past. Should happen in the next couple weeks. Motorola has worked around a Fox issue. Seems to come from Fox's 720P HDStream when the National feed switches back to local feeds for the final time. (Fox developed a black box to keep the HD feed from hitting baseband video.)
A situation I don't remembering anyone having on this forum, was where during the recording you could FFWD on the other playback channel (same show), etc BUT once the feed did the switch, you could no longer FFWD.
Have not heard many issues about this recently, but thought I'd pass this along to all of you.
post #209 of 1953 Old 05-07-2005, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Another followup on my freezing issue.

The problem was on HDnet and Hdnet movies only. Odd because nationally I wasn't reading about others having the problem.

Buckeye sends a tech to my home yesterday....the problem was on buckeye's end...he said they were tormented for two weeks with this issue that plauged the whole system...the techs finally tracked down and fixed the problem early Thursday morning.

Sure enough...for the first time in two weeks...I was able to record HDnet shows with freezes every 10/15 minutes.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #210 of 1953 Old 05-07-2005, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member