post #61 of 1126 Old 06-03-2004, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by squicken
KJTV isn't, at least not yet. NBC has .1HD, .2SD, .3Weather. People tell me multicasting is supposed to degrade the HD signal, but I haven't noticed a problem yet.

It does, slightly. It should affect KJTV less since they're using 720p, which takes less bandwidth, if and when they start doing it.

Mitch
mitchrc@mac.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1126 Old 06-03-2004, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by elspankdog
Hey Lubbock guys, Cox is supposedly going to offer HD service in the College Station area this June, and I was wondering if any of you knew if the Lubbock HD local(s) are being passed through unencrypted. I'm a D* subscriber and would really like to avoid digital cable if I could get by with a basic subscription and a QAM tuner. We have some locals here that are unobtainable OTA - FOX at 1 kW and ABC/NBC 80 miles away, so Cox might be our best bet. Thanks for your help.

Cox isn't broadcasting any of the digital locals in Lubbock yet. I'm betting that when they do, they will be encrypted.
post #63 of 1126 Old 06-03-2004, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by wilmo
Cox isn't broadcasting any of the digital locals in Lubbock yet. I'm betting that when they do, they will be encrypted.

Wow, that sucks. I thought you guys were at least getting CBS, but now I see that only Midland and Abilene are. I guess I'm hoping that early on the locals might not be encrypted even though Cox seems to encrypt their locals in other areas.
post #64 of 1126 Old 06-04-2004, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

We won't be getting CBS for a long time because our local CBS/ABC (same ownership) has no plans to upgrade to HD...
post #65 of 1126 Old 06-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

If you're lucky CBS will eventually offer to pick up the tab like Fox has.

Mitch
mitchrc@mac.com
post #66 of 1126 Old 06-04-2004, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I would also be interested in this info, as Cox is beginning HD service here in Tyler in June as well.

post #67 of 1126 Old 06-07-2004, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I am in Lubbock and have analog Cox cable. My STB is QAM compatible and if I run a branch off my analog cable coax to it, I am able to receive NBC in HD. All the other Cox HD offerings in Lubbock are scrambled. Since Cox does not offer PBS or Fox as HD or psuedo HD, I do not receive them via this method. As Wilmo said previously, CBS and ABC are in limbo until TexasSize steps up to the plate. One funny thing is that recently on the NBC HD, I have been experiencing a lot of drop outs. Not sure if this is happening OTA also.

I had Sex with Hitachi. Well, I mean Hitachi raped me. Worse yet, I paid $2600 for the priviledge.
post #68 of 1126 Old 06-07-2004, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks manpig (and I thought elspankdog was bad), that's what I wanted to hear.

Brian
post #69 of 1126 Old 06-10-2004, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have DirecTV and was wondering if you can qualify to pick up the CBS HD Feed from LA or NY on DirecTV since the local affiliate has no intention of upgrading.

Does anyone know if this qualifies or if not if the local station will sign a waiver letter?

Alfred--
post #70 of 1126 Old 06-10-2004, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

It depends on how far you are from the towers. I called and asked the guy at ABC (same company) and he said I was too close to get a waiver. No one in the entire company will give any sort of answer on when they plan to even increase digital signal. There is some talk on other avs threads that Congress might allow HD feeds to unserved HD areas, but it is very unlikely. If you can't get a waiver, you can always go through a Canadian DBS, but it's VERY expensive. Call and see. The worst they can say is no.
post #71 of 1126 Old 06-14-2004, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I heard via a radio sportstalk show (KKAM), that one of the local sportsbars was broadcasting Monday Night Football in HD last season. I can't recall the name of the bar but it seems like it was Jake's. Can anyone verify this? If this is true, then there has to be a way to get a satellite feed from CBS and ABC in HD in Lubbock.

Note to elspankdog: I forgot to tell you that with a QAM STB, you should be able to pull in some of the digital offerings that are on a higher tier with Cox. Exp: Golf channel, and Chicano MTV, Soccer and Tennis channels, IFC, all the music channels, and a few others.

I had Sex with Hitachi. Well, I mean Hitachi raped me. Worse yet, I paid $2600 for the priviledge.
post #72 of 1126 Old 07-17-2004, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Is anyone interested in getting an ISF calibration done in the Lubbock area? There is a highly regarded calibrator in DFW area named Steve Martin. He will travel to Lubbock, but his travel costs must be covered. I was hoping to get some others involved to help share these travel costs. If you're interested, PM me. Here is Steve's website www.smartcalibration.com
post #73 of 1126 Old 07-19-2004, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

I had my Hitachi calibrated last summer by Bill Gambrell from Denver. He did a great job. It was definitely worth the money. Even my wife noticed a big difference!
post #74 of 1126 Old 07-23-2004, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cox downloaded new firmware to their boxes last night to enable the DVI and firewire ports on the back of the box. Finally! Now I gotta find me a DVI cable.

Squicken, I would love to have my set calibrated, but I really don't think I could afford it right now. About how much is it going to be?
post #75 of 1126 Old 07-23-2004, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

It depends on your set and how many inputs. If you have a DLP or LCD, prices start at $300. Plasma and CRT-RPTV can get $500+ in some cases.
post #76 of 1126 Old 07-23-2004, 08:00 PM

I would be interested in a calibration sometime later this year. How many calibrations would we need to schedule in order to make this worthwhile?

Any news on additional HDTV channels from Cox? I keep checking the website and I keep being disappointed. The firmware news is very nice to hear. I will be interested to hear if you see any improvement using DVI collven.

Jason_J

Jason
post #77 of 1126 Old 07-23-2004, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I think 3 or 4 total will be enough. It depends on exactly what is required. I'm still waiting on additional information from Steve. Round trip airfare would be about $80, and assuming he doesn't require a hotel (if all done in 1 day) or rental car, it would only cost us each $20-$30 for travel.
post #78 of 1126 Old 07-24-2004, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jason_J
I would be interested in a calibration sometime later this year. How many calibrations would we need to schedule in order to make this worthwhile?

Any news on additional HDTV channels from Cox? I keep checking the website and I keep being disappointed. The firmware news is very nice to hear. I will be interested to hear if you see any improvement using DVI collven.

Jason_J

My DVI cable is on order. I'm really not expecting much of an improvement in quality. I mainly just need an available component input.
post #79 of 1126 Old 09-17-2004, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

2 months since the last post here???? is there no new news on HD and Cox?

I am still using OTA, and have to say that last weeks Dallas and Minnesota game on Fox was out of this world. I could see sweat bubbling on the arms of the players. Too bad Dallas lost tho.

I have been having some problems with NBC OTA. The Olympics were great but since have had times where a HD program is not being displayed in HD. Then at other times other shows do come in as HD. I sent an email to the station asking if they were having some problemos and got no response. Can anyone else confirm this? Are Cox customers getting NBC, PBS, and FOX in HD yet? Any word on ABC and CBS getting any public pressure to get their act together?

post #80 of 1126 Old 09-17-2004, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by wilmo
I had my Hitachi calibrated last summer by Bill Gambrell from Denver. He did a great job. It was definitely worth the money. Even my wife noticed a big difference!

Wilmo,

I have heard alot about Bill Gambrell. Not suprised you were pleased with his efforts. Which Hitachi do you have and what was the cost of the isf?

post #81 of 1126 Old 09-17-2004, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by manpig
2 months since the last post here???? is there no new news on HD and Cox?

I am still using OTA, and have to say that last weeks Dallas and Minnesota game on Fox was out of this world. I could see sweat bubbling on the arms of the players. Too bad Dallas lost tho.

I have been having some problems with NBC OTA. The Olympics were great but since have had times where a HD program is not being displayed in HD. Then at other times other shows do come in as HD. I sent an email to the station asking if they were having some problemos and got no response. Can anyone else confirm this? Are Cox customers getting NBC, PBS, and FOX in HD yet? Any word on ABC and CBS getting any public pressure to get their act together?

In Lubbock, they temporarily had NBC-HD for the Olympics. But now it's gone. No networks, and nothing else added. They told me their trying to work out deals with the networks and are out of bandwidth for the others. If you can get OTA, I think you're better off. FOX in HD was OK this past weekend, and is supposed to keep getting better.
post #82 of 1126 Old 09-17-2004, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

manpig - I have a 65xwx...I think that's the right combo of letters...it was the top of the line model when I bought it. I think I paid about $400 including part of his travel expense. He was making a long tour of Texas so the travel expense was shared by several people. That was more than a year ago and I think he was about to raise his rates.
post #83 of 1126 Old 09-21-2004, 04:02 PM

Cox does have PBS in HD now. That's still it as far as anything local. I still think, as far as KCBD, they are trying to force Cox to carry all of their multicast channels.
post #84 of 1126 Old 09-22-2004, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks wilmo. Good news Collven. It will be great for you Cox customers when you get the Fox also. Regarding KCBD, I can tell you that at least OTA, that the HD offerings were better this week so far. I received Father of the Pride in HD this week and it was unbelievable. I also received Vegas and one of the Law and Orders in HD.

Sidebar: I was wondering the other day just how many HD sets have been sold in Lubbock thus far. It has to be a pretty large number by now.
I would also conclude that those people who own a HD set are big spenders and as such should be the target of the advertisers spending their marketing dollars with the television stations in Lubbock. As a HD television owner, I find myself gravitating to the HD offerings. I don't think I am alone in this. I guess I just don't understand why our TexasSize ABC and CBS stations are not getting on board. I've called them several times and voiced my displeasure, and I would guess maybe some of you others have as well. Maybe I should start my focus on their advertisers. Maybe then they will wake up and smell the coffee if they lose their revenue source. JMHO.

post #85 of 1126 Old 09-26-2004, 11:08 AM

Good idea manpig.
post #86 of 1126 Old 09-28-2004, 08:24 AM

So, did KJTV turn on their signal yet? I heard someone say they have, but according to the official Fox thread, it's still pending.
post #87 of 1126 Old 09-28-2004, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

You'll be able to tell by the placement of the bug during network programming. You'll see a KJTV bug at the very edge of the 16x9 screen.

Mitch
mitchrc@mac.com
post #88 of 1126 Old 09-28-2004, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, KJTV is on. The NFL games look great!
post #89 of 1126 Old 09-28-2004, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

The official fox thread at avs in the programming area does show KJTV as pending. I called Fox and one of their people confirmed they are broadcasting in HD. I asked him if it was 720P and he said huh? He said I would have to talk to the head engineer to find that out and I said ok put me thru. I got voice mail and left a message. I will confirm if he calls me back. I agree with wilmo that they are indeed broadcasting in 720P and on my Denon Receiver the audio stream comes in at Dolby 5.1.

post #90 of 1126 Old 09-28-2004, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

My tv shows 720p, but not 5.1 for kjtv.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page