Lubbock, TX - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1113 Old 09-28-2004, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not everything is 5.1. For NFL games, I get DD 5.1 and 720p. Picture is not as good as ESPN-HD, but this is Fox national problem, not a local one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1113 Old 09-29-2004, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I did get an oral confirmation from KJTV that they are indeed broadcasting exactly what Fox sends them. In other words, if the program is 720p and Dolby 5.1 that is what they are sending out. Their current output is 10,000 watts and they have plans to increase their output bwo a higher tower to 1/2 mega watts in the next 12 months or so. They have the potential to lose customers in the far reaching surrounding cities if they don't do this when the FCC deadline occurs (July 06). In other words, if they are currently serving Clovis via analog and their digital signal does not reach that far then someone else could put up a tower in Clovis and take over their market. This is why a strong signal is imperative to these guys. The cost for this is great but their hands are tied.

Regarding UPN, the news is not as good. They do not yet have an application pending for a digital channel yet with the FCC but plan to apply soon. They do not anticipate a digital UPN signal in the next 12 months.

I had Sex with Hitachi. Well, I mean Hitachi raped me. Worse yet, I paid $2600 for the priviledge.
post #93 of 1113 Old 12-23-2004, 06:09 PM

I just found this forum. I live in northwest Lubbock near 28th and Chicago. I have a Samsung SIR-T351 and a Radio Shack U75-R outdoor antenna. I get KTXT-DT,KCBD-DT,KLBK-DT(such as it is); and KJTV-DT, but cannot get but about 0.5 bars of KAMC. I had to erect the outside antenna to get KLBK-DT with 5 bars. Antennaweb indicates that ABC and CBS are about the same distance from me in the same direction, but I bet no signal on ABC while CBS is rock solid (exceptwhen the wind blows). Any suggestions of how to pull in ABS's measly 96 watt transmission from 4.5 miles away. I have ordered a Zenith Silver Sensor indoor antenna maybe it will do what the RS outdoor will not...OH WELL!!!
post #94 of 1113 Old 12-23-2004, 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mitchrc
You'll be able to tell by the placement of the bug during network programming. You'll see a KJTV bug at the very edge of the 16x9 screen.

Glad to see you're keeping up with your old stomping grounds from L.A.
SM
post #95 of 1113 Old 12-24-2004, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm in the same boat as you. I tried an outdoor Square shooter with a rotor, could never consistently get KAMC. I live at South 289 and Quaker, also close to tower. KAMC-DT doesn't look all that good anyway, and I bugged them enough to give me a waiver, so I get the NYC ABC. No HD, but better than analog w/ rabbitt ears.
post #96 of 1113 Old 12-27-2004, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim5506
I just found this forum. I live in northwest Lubbock near 28th and Chicago. I have a Samsung SIR-T351 and a Radio Shack U75-R outdoor antenna. I get KTXT-DT,KCBD-DT,KLBK-DT(such as it is); and KJTV-DT, but cannot get but about 0.5 bars of KAMC. I had to erect the outside antenna to get KLBK-DT with 5 bars. Antennaweb indicates that ABC and CBS are about the same distance from me in the same direction, but I bet no signal on ABC while CBS is rock solid (exceptwhen the wind blows). Any suggestions of how to pull in ABS's measly 96 watt transmission from 4.5 miles away. I have ordered a Zenith Silver Sensor indoor antenna maybe it will do what the RS outdoor will not...OH WELL!!!

I am near 90th and Chicago and can get ABC with a Silver Sensor. I have to aim it more north than I do for KLBK and KCBD and KJTV. I seem to recall it has to do with their core vector of their antenna at KMAC being directed more in a northerly direction. The question then becomes why would you even care. The signal is so damn weak and I get better PQ off of Cox's analog ABC.

I had Sex with Hitachi. Well, I mean Hitachi raped me. Worse yet, I paid $2600 for the priviledge.
post #97 of 1113 Old 12-30-2004, 07:57 AM

KAMC's special permit to broadcast at reduced power is up for renewal in March 2005. I wonder if several hundred or more protestations for its renewal would either block its renewal or prompt them to get off the dime and operate at higher output. At least we could let them know there are people who care that they are dragging their feet.
post #98 of 1113 Old 12-30-2004, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

How would we go about protesting?
post #99 of 1113 Old 12-30-2004, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Is KAMC passing HD? Even if they increased power who cares if they're just simulcasting their SD signal?

Mitch
mitchrc@mac.com
post #100 of 1113 Old 12-30-2004, 09:01 AM

Interestingly, this morning I have been receiving 34.1 and 34.2 from KJTV. 34.2 has no programming, but there is a signal there. I wonder if KJTV is getting ready to multicast something.
post #101 of 1113 Old 12-30-2004, 09:55 AM

There is a comment period for each license renewal. I don't know if this applies to these 'waiver' or 'special' licenses.

I was hoping someone out there would know.

As for KAMC passing HD, I can't even receive their measley SD signal where I live (6 miles from transmitter according to antennaweb). I would like to be able to TiVo the SD signal for certain shows we watch because the analog signal is also erratic (ghosty) here.
post #102 of 1113 Old 12-30-2004, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

To answer someone's earlier question: No, KAMC is not broadcasting HD nor is their other station KLBK. As far as protesting their weakass digital signal, ok count me in. I suppose we can all affix rabbit ears to our TT hats and do a march or sumpin around their parking lot. It could draw some media attention......oh crap........they ARE the media. Nevermind.

post #103 of 1113 Old 01-03-2005, 05:57 PM

KJTV is now broadcasting its weather channel (analog 32) on 34.2 in SD.
post #104 of 1113 Old 01-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

What are they programming on the weather channel?

Mitch
mitchrc@mac.com
post #105 of 1113 Old 01-03-2005, 08:15 PM

KJTV ch 34 also broadcasts an automated weather series on Ch 32 a low power station.

It goes through a visible satelite loop, a radar loop, a local forcast loop, and current conditions over audio from a local talk radio station.

This is now mirrored on digital channel 34.2.

KCBD does a similar thing with its channel 11.3, with no audio.

These weather broadcasts are very valuable in "tornado country".

In times of severe weather live weather alerts and information are substituted for the automated loops.
post #106 of 1113 Old 01-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Jim. I used to work there years ago and am always interested in keeping up with what they're doing. Do you see any of their local talent on this channel or is it just weather graphics?

Mitch
mitchrc@mac.com
post #107 of 1113 Old 01-03-2005, 08:30 PM

On the occasion of severe weather they go to a live feed from their "Weather Center".

Each major network station in the area has very good live weather capabilities including live doppler weather radar and multiple meteorologists (sp) who have excellecnt graphics and forecasting capabilities.

Being both an agricultiral area and in the tornado belt, weather around here IS a big deal.

You may recall that 15-20 years ago downtown Lubbock was struck by a tornado. That'll get your attention!!
post #108 of 1113 Old 01-19-2005, 09:19 PM

Is there a DTV or DHTV users group active here in Lubbock? I was just on the Albuquerque forum and they seem to be much more active than Lubbock as far as posting is concerned.
post #109 of 1113 Old 01-20-2005, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

We sort of are. There just isn't much information. TexaSize owns both KAMC and KLBK, and the General Manager of those stations told me they won't be moving to HD or even full power digital until the government make them.

Ramar owns both UPN and FOX in town. They've told me there aren't any close plans as far as making UPN HD capable, and I know nothing nor care about the WB.

As far as quality:

FOX has some issues, but because of the splicer, it really isn't anything on the local end they can do, if I recall correctly.

Now NBC and PBS bug me. Their multi-casting really looks bad. And I have no idea exactly what PBS HD is. It seems completely different than regular PBS. The Jack Johnson special the other night, did anyone watch? Was it HD?

The only local channel I watch in HD is Fox, and it's hard to know what the deal is b/c FOX national admits there are problems with the splicer.

If you know new anything or have questions, there are a few of us around who pay attention

Welcome to the forum, such as it is.
post #110 of 1113 Old 01-20-2005, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by squicken
We sort of are. There just isn't much information. TexaSize owns both KAMC and KLBK, and the General Manager of those stations told me they won't be moving to HD or even full power digital until the government make them.

They'll start getting pressure from their networks long before the government does anything.

Quote:

Originally posted by squicken
The only local channel I watch in HD is Fox, and it's hard to know what the deal is b/c FOX national admits there are problems with the splicer.

What problems are you referring to with the splicer?

Mitch
mitchrc@mac.com
post #111 of 1113 Old 01-20-2005, 07:12 AM

I have watched KCBD, KJTV and KTXT all in HD from time to time and have found their picture quality to be excellent.

I have a Samsung SIR-T351 and I borrow an Epson PowerLite 81p projector from work occasionally to watch football or when I happen to have it available at home. I have been really pleased with all the HD content that I've seen. I haven't persuaded my wife to replace the SD TV (Toshiba 32") in the living room yet but I'm working on it. She even admitted to the great picture I project on the wall of my 'office'.

Perhaps complaints from us to ABC and CBS directly and specifically aimed at KAMC and KLBK would be in order.

I realize that 5.3 (KTXT-DT3) only broadcasts HD 50% of the time in the evenings, but what I've seen has been impressive - maybe I'm easily impressed. All their 5.3 content is wide screen, some of that is HD. they also tend to show the same thing over and over and over - limited content, I guess.

I look at www.titantv.com to check for HD content, it seems to be pretty accurate.
post #112 of 1113 Old 01-20-2005, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I watch NBC, FOX, and PBS in HD via OTA all the time. The quality has been great with the exception of some of the dramas that are purposefully shot soft. The content and quantity of new programming at PBS leaves alot to be desired IMHO.

I have heard rumors that our TexasSize stations are in financial trouble which could explain their decision to just do the bare minimum as it relates to the FCC. Word has it that they are looking to sell the stations. Hopefully that is correct and there will be a buyer soon that has the finances to bring them forward.

I have heard statements thrown around on local sportsradio talk shows, that certain sports bars in Lubbock offer MNF in HD. I find this hard to believe. If anyone can confirm this and also confirm how I would greatly appreciate it.

post #113 of 1113 Old 01-20-2005, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

The problems with FOX are most evident during some football games. Dancing grass, motion artifacts, grainy or dark looking. In the HDTV Programming forum, these problems are reported in other locals. Apparently the bit rate is being sent out at low levels.

I'm by no means an expert, but football on ESPN HD looks much better than FOX (both 720p) to me. People who work at FOX affiliates admit the dancing grass is a known issue, and it has gotten better recently (although the GN/SEattle game was bad looking.

The only HD show on FOX I watch is Arrested Development, and that looks very nice. I have DirecTV, with the HR!0-250 DVR.
post #114 of 1113 Old 01-20-2005, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by manpig

I have heard statements thrown around on local sportsradio talk shows, that certain sports bars in Lubbock offer MNF in HD. I find this hard to believe. If anyone can confirm this and also confirm how I would greatly appreciate it.

You can "move", so as to get the NY/LA feeds over the satellite dish. TexaSize will also grant you waivers if you live a certain distance from town.
post #115 of 1113 Old 01-21-2005, 08:13 PM

Hi guys, live in Lubbock also; Sunridge area near 98th and Slide. Have Sony Wega KF-50WE610 HDTV (no OTA tuner) and depend on Cox for HD content.

Had considered going with DISH and using 811 receiver to receive the OTA channels. Don't think it is worth it considering that on Feb 1st DISH is raising rates $3.00/mo as well as the problems w/ two of the local network stations you all have been alluding to.

I sent an email to Cox about 6 weeks ago inquiring about the status of HD locals. I need to find their reply and post it here.

WTXD
post #116 of 1113 Old 01-21-2005, 08:26 PM

Welcome to the 'club'.

I have an HD tuner (Samsung SIR-T351) I picked up on eBay, but no HDTV as of yet. I also have A TiVo Series 2 stand alone hooked to a Dishnetwork 301 and a Dish PVR 510. I use my HD tuner with a SD tv, and even there I can see an improvement in the PQ over analog channels no ghosts at all no snow, no static.

As I've said before my only problem is the super low power of KAMC and KLBK. I was going to try to raise my outdoor antenna another 5-10 ft tomorrow, but it looks like the weather is not going to be too pleasant.
post #117 of 1113 Old 01-21-2005, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I still think Dish is cheaper, even with price increase. I believe they don't charge a rental fee for the 811. The only 2 channels you'll have trouble with are KAMC and KLBK. And even if you get them, they're only SD (and they look bad). Also, if I'm not mistaken, Dish has Lubbock locals available through the satellite. Given Cox's reluctance to add HD locals and national HD channels, I strongly recommend satellite for you contnet provider.
post #118 of 1113 Old 01-26-2005, 08:24 PM

Thanks guys for the input. I think I am considering buying an OTA tuner - the Samsung SIR-T145 model - instead of satellite. It will be cheaper in the mid-term and the installation logistics will be relatively quick and easy. Furthermore, I won't have to worrying about all the changes in billing and meeting a one year commitment.

BTW, which local station is working on the tower west of the City of Lubbock Recycling Center on 84th just west of Avenue P South? I know KAMC-28 is east of the intersection. I was at the recycling center this afternoon and there were two workers about 700' up working on one of the loop antenna arrays. Also, the xmtr building at the tower base appears to be undergoing some major renovations.

WTXD
post #119 of 1113 Old 01-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

If I remember right that stick is mostly radio.

Mitch
mitchrc@mac.com
post #120 of 1113 Old 01-27-2005, 08:16 PM

I feel that an OTA tuner is the best way to go. There have been questions about compression on satellite based HDTV signals-causing fidelity loss, and cable has the same temptation. All the OTA I have seen that is HD has been spectacular, noticable better than 'DVD quality'. The only drawback right now is there are really on ly 3 stations doing HD (FOX, NBC and PBS) in Lubbock. I was hoping to get a HD capable set of some kind before the Superbowl, but that may not happen, I'll watch it on KJTV-DT any way, because the DTV picture is clearer than the analog.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page