Lubbock, TX - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1128 Old 07-20-2003, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I attended the Parade of Homes in Lubbock this weekend and Cox was setup in one of the houses demoing all of their services including their High Definition Service.

The Cox reps couldn't provide much info except that it will be available in the fall. One guy said the last time he checked the schedule, it showed Sept 12th for the launch date. Said not to count on that because it was originally scheduled for July.

They didn't know if they will rent the boxes or require users to purchase them...said it hasn't been decided yet. They were using a silver Motorola box for the demo...don't know what model it was...5100 maybe? They said pvr boxes would not be available until sometime next year.

Channel lineup sounded the same as everywhere else...ESPN, Discovery, HBO, Showtime, and the locals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1128 Old 08-07-2003, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I talked to a guy at Hi-Fidelity yesterday and he said that Cox is going to be selling the boxes and Hi-Fidelity is going to be their exclusive retailer. He confirmed sometime in September. Not too surprising really, considering Cox is making customers purchase the box in most of their markets now. This is disheartening for many reasons, the 2 main ones are the 5100 (which is most likely the box they are going to be using) doesn't have a DVI output, and if they do upgrade to a PVR box, such as the 6200, I get the feeling they won't have any kind of upgrade plan.

Now, I used to work for Cox, so I got used to having to defend their business decisions, but this, to me, is just monumentally stupid. The one advantage that cable always trumpets over satellite is "no equipment to buy", so why make us purchase a STB? If I wasn't so dependant on my cable modem, I might consider dropping cable and going with a dish to get HDTV.
post #3 of 1128 Old 08-15-2003, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not buying a box that doesn't have PVR. In fact, with basically no locals in HD, I probably wouldn't even buy one with PVR. There just isn't enough programming available right now for me to justify spending much more money on HD.

Interest in HDTV seems to be extremely low in Lubbock so I doubt they are going to have more than a handful of customers...even if they rent the boxes.
post #4 of 1128 Old 08-26-2003, 10:06 PM

You mentioned locals in the original post. Besides KCBD (NBC), who else is broadcasting HDTV in Lubbock?

Jason
post #5 of 1128 Old 08-27-2003, 08:44 PM

I stopped by the Cox office today. The customer rep there said to look for HDTV on Cox by November. Whether the boxes would be rented or sold was still up in the air. She said to look for movie channels and the locals. About 10 channels in all.

I guess something is better than nothing.

Jason
post #6 of 1128 Old 08-29-2003, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

All of the locals are broadcasting a digital signal, but KCBD (NBC) is the only one broadcasting in 1080i. The others are all low-power 480i.

KCBD has three digital channels: 11-1 (NBC 1080i), 11-2 (NBC 480i), and 11-3 (Local Weather 480i).

I don't expect the other locals to upgrade to HD anytime soon.
post #7 of 1128 Old 08-29-2003, 08:44 PM

Will the Cox feed be HDTV from the offending local's network broadcasts? I guess I need to seek out someone more knowledgeable at Cox. Maybe you still have some connections collven?

I have been within an inch of pulling the trigger on a new HDTV, but the lack of network HDTV programming (and programming in general) puts the brakes on every time. I don't think there is anything more disappointing than SD cable on a giant RPTV.

Jason
post #8 of 1128 Old 08-30-2003, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It is good to hear that Cox is coming with HD, at least where you guys are. I am in Tyler, and I too am real close to pulling the trigger on a new Mits HDTV. But I am told by the Mits dealer that Cox here is way behind on going HD. Like years away. I wonder how I would find out what kind of timetable they are on? I know if I just call their local office people, they won't really know anything.

post #9 of 1128 Old 09-12-2003, 10:03 PM

I talked to the guys at Hi-Fidelity again yesterday. They again claimed that they will be the exclusive retailers for Cox's HD boxes. He said they will be the Motorola 6200 series, so I guess it will be this box. If so, it is a PVR. Now the bad news, it's not coming until the middle of November and the price will either be $599 or $699, I can't remember which. I'm pretty sure he said $699. For that price, I may as well go with a dish.
post #10 of 1128 Old 12-03-2003, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Cox called me yesterday with their monthly "can I sign you up for digital cable?" call. I gave them my usual response of "do you have high-def yet?". The answer was "not yet, but it should be in the next few weeks". The guy said he is going to a training class in a few days to learn about the service and he will follow up with me when he has all the details.

Maybe it's getting closer...
post #11 of 1128 Old 12-08-2003, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Wilmo,

Keep us posted on Cox. Here is some info on OTA in Lubbock:

KLBK and KAMC (cbs and abc) are neither broadcasting in HD currently.
I received an email from Mike Randolph and in it he explained that both stations were broadcasting a low level digital signal (480i) currently and that they have no plans to broadcast HD until sometime in 2006. This is not good news but it does at least explain why I have not been able to pick it up. I am angry in that I have been told by countless people who should have known that they were both broadcasting in HD.

I can tell you that both KCBD (nbc) and Fox are both broadcasting HD in Lubbock OTA. I am able to pick up both signals with a Silver Sensor antenna. The NBC signal is 1080i and the Fox signal is 720p.

I have not been able to get info on PBS yet, although my guess is that they are not HD ota now either.

I had Sex with Hitachi. Well, I mean Hitachi raped me. Worse yet, I paid $2600 for the priviledge.
post #12 of 1128 Old 12-08-2003, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

That's exactly what I was told by an engineer at texassize back in the spring...except he didn't give any timeframe. I was pretty sure they hadn't changed because the 480i signal is coming in on -1, not -2 like kcbd.

I know how you feel. I've been told by people at Hi Fidelity, Soundwave, Cox, etc. that they are all HD. I think a lot of people think HD and digital are the same thing.

I'm getting both nbc and fox. Too bad fox still doesn't have any HD programming...at least it's widescreen.
post #13 of 1128 Old 12-09-2003, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Wilmo,

The Sunday NFL game on Fox is being broadcast HD at 720p and I am able to receive it that way. Also, the show "24" is being broadcast HD, but the quality is a bit soft to me. There are a few others as well.

I had Sex with Hitachi. Well, I mean Hitachi raped me. Worse yet, I paid $2600 for the priviledge.
post #14 of 1128 Old 12-09-2003, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Fox does not have any HD programming yet. They only have Fox Widescreen and Fox Enhanced Definition, or something like that, the resolution on those is either 480i or 480p.

We are only seeing it as 720p because our local station is upconverting it. It's the same way when you watch local NBC stuff on 11-1 with the blue-gray bars on the sides, it still says it's 1080i because that's what they are broadcasting.

You can't tell the resolution of the source material by what your receiver says.
post #15 of 1128 Old 12-09-2003, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Wilmo,

ok, you are no doubt right on this. It still looks better than those crappy digital signals that Cbs and Abc are broadcasting locally. JMHO

post #16 of 1128 Old 12-09-2003, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it's definitely better.

Fox is supposed to start primetime shows in HD next fall.
post #17 of 1128 Old 12-11-2003, 02:02 AM

I've been meaning to talk to the guys at Hi-Fidelity but I haven't gotten a chance. I know they will be carrying the boxes for Cox, so maybe they will know when the boxes will be here. Last time I talked to them, they said November.
post #18 of 1128 Old 12-14-2003, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Our local PBS station just started broadcasting HD. 39-3 is carrying HD programming in 1080i. Farm Aid is on right now and it looks really good. 39-1 and 39-2 are both 480i and carrying regular PBS programming. It looks like they have a seperate channel (39-3) just for the HD stuff.
post #19 of 1128 Old 12-15-2003, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Check out the classifieds in the AJ today in the legals for the Cox announcement. Talk about pathetic.

post #20 of 1128 Old 12-15-2003, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

from their website. not exactly what the legal notice says in the AJ

http://www.cox.com/westtexas/hdtv/

What will I need to get High-Definition Service from Cox?

In order to view High-Definition programming you will need:
An HD Capable TV
An HD Converter
In order to view HD programming, you need only purchase an HD-Capable set (the one without the tuner built-in) You will be able to lease or purchase the equipment necessary to view HDTV signals delivered via Cox Digital Cable. To work with our first generation HDTV offering, your HDTV set or monitor must have a YPbPr component input.

How much is High-Definition Service from Cox?

You can lease the HD converter from Cox for $9.95 per month. The HD Converter will replace your current digital converter if you are a Cox Digital Cable customer. With the converter, you will receive local programming available in your area as well as InDemand HD1, InDemand HD2, ESPN HD, HBO HD and Showtime HD (HBO HD and Showtime HD are available as long as you are a current digital HBO and/or Showtime subscriber). There is a $49.95 installation fee for HD Service.

For an additional $4.95 per month you can add our Discovery HD Tier with Discovery HD Theater.*

*You must be a Cox Digital Cable customer in order to receive
High-Definition Service from Cox. Cox Digital Cable pricing starts at $52.74/mo.

post #21 of 1128 Old 12-15-2003, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by wilmo
Our local PBS station just started broadcasting HD. 39-3 is carrying HD programming in 1080i. Farm Aid is on right now and it looks really good. 39-1 and 39-2 are both 480i and carrying regular PBS programming. It looks like they have a seperate channel (39-3) just for the HD stuff.

Wilmo,

I just checked PBS out. Wow, incredible image on 39-3! Thanks for the heads up.

post #22 of 1128 Old 12-18-2003, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

The PBS HD schedule is here. Note that the times are EST.

The travel show that comes on at 6:30 has some really incredible images.
post #23 of 1128 Old 12-18-2003, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

That's a great link. Too bad they show so much of the same stuff because it really is amazing. I did watch the travel show on Belgium....wow! I am not exactly interested in Belgium, but I could not escape the PQ.

are you and I the only ones in Lubbock enjoying this or what?

post #24 of 1128 Old 12-19-2003, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Wilmo,

Here is a pretty good site:

http://www.titantv.com/ttv/Home/Home.aspx

post #25 of 1128 Old 01-15-2004, 03:22 AM

Well, it's official. Cox HD is now available to order. Here is the link to their site for info. I'm calling today to get setup. Not much programming yet. The 2 HD InDemand channels will offer free programming, not PPV. I wonder about KCBD, since they don't list it on their site. Hopefully, it's available. I checked Midland and Amarillo, they both list their local CBS affiliates as available. Too bad KLBK isn't available here yet.
post #26 of 1128 Old 01-15-2004, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

NBC, PBS, and Fox are all broadcasting HD (technically Fox isn't HD, but they do have 480p widescreen shows). I don't expect to see CBS or ABC anytime in the next year or two.

IMO, this service is not worth the money right now. My tv has a built in tuner so I can already get the locals OTA. I'm not going to upgrade to digital cable, add a cable box, and pay more on top of that just to watch ESPNHD.

I think I'll pass for now...
post #27 of 1128 Old 01-15-2004, 02:38 PM

I don't have a built in tuner, so it's either go with Cox or buy a $400 or $500 STB, which I really don't want to do right now. I would rather wait until STB's with PVR built in come down in price some. This will do fine until then. If you already have digital cable, which I do, it's only $6 more per month, unless you add DiscoveryHD, which I don't plan on doing right now. Also, I found out KCBD is included. It's on ch 709. Unfortunately, I have to wait until Monday to get installed.
post #28 of 1128 Old 01-15-2004, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
What happened to HDNet? Is it not on Cox HD service?

post #29 of 1128 Old 01-15-2004, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I was able to pull in the NBC local from Cox with a STB that is QAM compatible. No Fox and No PBS.

Are other areas charging for Discovery HD? That seems like a rip to me.
I am guessing that CBS and ABC will not be available in HD via Cox until the Texas Size group starts their HD broadcasts. This according to their station mgrs will be in Jan 06 when the FCC makes them.

Sometimes I wish I lived in a more progressive city.

post #30 of 1128 Old 01-16-2004, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

I don't currently have digital cable. I dropped it a long time ago because we rarely watched the extra channels. Most of the channels are still analog, so there was no reason to pay extra for a couple of channels. I also like the flexibility of not having a cable box...PIP, Tivo, etc...

If my tv did not have a built-in HD tuner, then I would be signing up for the HD package. Since it does, and I don't subscribe to the movie channels, it's not worth the additional cost just to watch espn hd.

Other Cox areas are charging for Discovery. In fact, all of the other areas I have looked at are charging $9.95 for Discovery and ESPN. Lubbock is the first one I have seen that includes ESPN in the HD tier. Maybe because we only have one network in HD they feel like they need to include something else in the base ?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page