Pittsburgh, PA - Comcast - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 2382 Old 08-10-2003, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
depends on how good the comb filter is in your tv versus the one in dtc-5100 box. actually, an RF connection is never better than pretty much any other connection under any circumstance. however, in this case it would give you the benefit of being able to use the TV's tuner instead of the box's tuner. but you'd only get the analog channels. but if that's not something you're after, i'll tell you what i'd do: my loewe has a fantastic comb filter in it. compared to just about anything else, it's better. what i'm probably going to do is hook up the component for HD and hook up a regular old composite video connection for the SD channels. that's right, composite is better than s-video in this case. why? because the sdtv signal itself is composite. therefore, in order for the box to create an s-video signal, it would just be using its chroma filter. which i seriously doubt is anywhere near as good as the one in my tv. this probably holds true for you too, as i'm assuming the chroma filter in the 5100 is el cheapo. in which case, anyone with a good hdtv will want to use the tv's filter instead. component for hd, composite for sd. if you want to be able to use the tv's tuner (if it's faster and you only ever watch non-digital sd or something), then use rf for sd. i hope that all made sense.

dan

"There's a... big machine in the sky... Some sort of... electric snake. It's headed right for us..."
"Shoot it."
"Not yet. I want to study its habits."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2382 Old 08-10-2003, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

I was thinking the same thing Dan. I have a Pioneer Elite 610HD RPTV and I wouldn't be surprised to find its comb filter is better than the 5100's. So I'm going to try a composite connection in addition to experimenting with S-video. It's too bad that the 5100 isn't better with SD material.
post #63 of 2382 Old 08-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Armstrong's HD commercial is now promoting the Steelers game.
post #64 of 2382 Old 08-10-2003, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

sweet. i really hope nothing goes wrong with my install. they've run out of boxes at one or two of the locations already. hope by friday they've got one with my name on it...

"There's a... big machine in the sky... Some sort of... electric snake. It's headed right for us..."
"Shoot it."
post #65 of 2382 Old 08-11-2003, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Agtiny, the game will be produced out of the Comcast Sportsnet HD truck which will be coming in from Philly...most of the crew will be freelancers like myself who specialize in sports television.

Mark Vidonic
mark.vidonic@gmail.com
post #66 of 2382 Old 08-11-2003, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Great! Good thing it's not KDKA's first attempt at HD programming, and I'm glad Comcast is letting KDKA broadcast it instead of keeping it all to themselves.
post #67 of 2382 Old 08-11-2003, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mark,
Is Philly getting HD also?
post #68 of 2382 Old 08-11-2003, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Kent, that show is done by the Eagles Preseason Network. They are not in HDTV.

Mark Vidonic
mark.vidonic@gmail.com
post #69 of 2382 Old 08-11-2003, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Seems like such a waste....doesn't it?
How many seperate productions of this game are there?
post #70 of 2382 Old 08-11-2003, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Comcast Sportsnet in Philly won't get to see this in HD and it's their own production? I don't think I will ever understand the broadcast television industry...
post #71 of 2382 Old 08-11-2003, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

no, it's not a Comcast production, the Eagles have another company do the shows, sell commercial time, etc.
Kaa, there are 2 separate productions. No, it's not a waste, it keeps people like me working!

Mark Vidonic
mark.vidonic@gmail.com
post #72 of 2382 Old 08-11-2003, 10:34 PM

Hello everyone... I just got my 5100 today from Comcast... I tried to hook it up via a DVI cable and I got nothing... Is DVI enabled in the Pittsburgh area? Thanks
post #73 of 2382 Old 08-12-2003, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

i didn't even know the dct-5100 had dvi. as i understand it, although the motorola box is offered with a variety of potential features (like usb and firewire), comcast goes the el-cheapo route -- s-vid and composite out, l&r audio outs, coax and optical digital outs, component video outs, and that's all. could be mistaken though. i'd be really, really happy if they did actually have firewire. i'd be able to give my windows media encoder a day in court! or more...

"Shoot it."
post #74 of 2382 Old 08-13-2003, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

According to the Motorola DCT5100 FAQ, the DVI is not active.
post #75 of 2382 Old 08-13-2003, 06:58 AM

Thought you guys would like to see the User Manuel for the Motorola 5100. It tells you what is active and whats not.

http://www.comcast.com/images/ImageL...%20April03.pdf
post #76 of 2382 Old 08-13-2003, 03:50 PM

Well: got the Comcast Pittsburgh box. Lots of breakup on ESPN. Locals not much worse than OTA digital antenna but sound not near as good.

Service installer said DVI was enabled. Is said: "Are you sure?" Installer: "Yes" I should have had a clue when he said the component leads need 4 cables and connected up the SVideo. I connected up the component leads after he left.

Well the DVI is not enabled. Bought a $62 Belden and had a black screen. I should have known.

Talked to Comcast service who didn't know whether the DVI was enabled or not. But he was a nice guy and escalated the call (what ever that means.) He just called back and said installer was wrong and it is not DVI enabled.

Comcast and I are dickering of a $62 useless Belden DVI cable. My position is that I relied on the installer and Comcast should either enable the DVI or pay me for the cable which I will be happy to send to them (not that they can use it either)

Regards, Dick
post #77 of 2382 Old 08-13-2003, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Can't you just return the cable?

What do you mean the sound is not as good? Dolby Digital is Dolby Digital...
post #78 of 2382 Old 08-13-2003, 08:16 PM

Return cable:
Box is opened and via internet. Also, there is a certain amount of principle involved. Would not have ordered it if Comcast installer had not said DVI was active.

Sound:
Hitachi 65xwx has only LR RCA stereo inputs ..or.. of course the firewire which Comcast hasn't activated either. Cable box seems to be compressing or altering audio compared to same OTA digital signals. Yes I have gone through all the audio settings in the cable box and there is a major difference between the cable box LR audio outputs and that from the 65xwx internal tuner with an OTA signal, particularly with WQED digital. BTW, the only way to get the Dolby into the tv is if you have a coax or optical input which the Hitachi does not. This is definitely something in the Comcast tuner box as the same inferior audio does not exist with an OTA digital signal or with a DVD input going into the same LR RCA jacks

Regards, Dick
post #79 of 2382 Old 08-13-2003, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

You need to get an audio receiver. I know the Moto boxes do some funky stuff to analog audio signals, read the FAQ posted above it has some info about the proper audio compression setting. If you've tried them all and they all suck... then I guess you really need to get a digital receiver.
post #80 of 2382 Old 08-14-2003, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

I guess all of you have been waiting with apprehension for my Tues. install that took place on Wed. The "box delivery person" was not prepared for my new cable drop. He had no connectors for such a situation, so he allowed me to connect my own box while he connected lines to my splitter. He left manuals and wished me luck. It took another truck and two visits before the heavy duty drop was properly married to the splitter.

Anyways, I had connected video several ways hoping to have a wide choice of various qualities. I have a direct cable into my RF (only provides analogs of course), the HD component input, an s-video input, and a composite video input. Are you placing your bets yet? It is surprising.

First of all, I had Dish for 2 years and really forgot a lot about cable. I came back for the local HD channels (there had better be more upcoming) but I am getting sidetracked. With Dish, I only used component input for HD. All the other channels were up converted to a soft mush. I used an s-video unput for all but HD. It made for musical remotes, but that was necessary for the optimum Dish picture.

I made all of these same connections on the Motorola 5100 expecting the same results, but they did not occur. The component input provided the best of the choices. The differences among the connections made were so small that I am not sure I ever saw a difference. With that in mind, the component input wins by default, no changes necessary to go from HD to SD. If the 5100 is up converting, it is doing a much better job of it than my Dish 6000 did.

The HD WTAE is very good. I of course did not really have time to evaluate it very much, but Lopez was a visual treat. HD Showtime is just like HD HBO in quality. I'm sure I'll watch it a lot while the free 6 month trial goes on. The HD WQED is just running a demo loop, but the quality was excellent. I guess they will only be showing national productions for quite a while. HD ESPN was not on last night, but the up converted stretched ballgame was. I really have no opinion. Yet!

One unexpected catch. The remote does not do real well through my smoked glass doors. From my Lazyboy all is well, but further back at the sofa, very poor. The door must be left open to get predictable responses from that seating area. My wife, who sits there, routinely is very annoyed for that is really tacky.
post #81 of 2382 Old 08-14-2003, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

I posted a quote from today's P-G in the separate thread. Comcast will have the Steelers-Eagles game Saturday on Channel 775.

http://www.post-gazette.com/tv/20030814owentv2.asp
post #82 of 2382 Old 08-14-2003, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

at last, we have some channel numbers to go on! yay 775!

"Shoot it."
post #83 of 2382 Old 08-15-2003, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally got installed today.

Watched some stretchy tennis today on ESPN-HD, some bad daytime soap on WTAE, and some of the pretty pictures on WQED. I have to say it does seem recompressed, but not in a way that makes it really significantly worse. It's worth it for the convenience of watching through cable. I have yet to see any HD other than QED. Wish Showtime played something other than crap.

Install went well, the guy seemed to know what he was doing. The drop wasn't a problem, shockingly, considering that everything else in my new house is a problem.

I'm noticing that Showtime HD is much, much quieter than the other HD channels, even the other HD channels. I set the dynamic range compression to "heavy" but it didn't help all that much.

I'm also noticing a wavy form of interference in my picture. It literally looks like little barely-noticeable white dotted horizontal waves across the middle of the screen. Is anybody else seeing this? I'm thinkin the component out on the DCT5100 is not that clean. Or perhaps it's my ratty oakland power. A bit of rearranging with the line conditioner may help.

Overall I'm quite pleased. The 1080i upconversion by the DCT5100 is not as bad as I'd heard, the brightness discrepancy between analog and HD channels is not as great as I heard, and what little I've seen of the HD channels so far appears to be essentially equivalent to my OTA reception. Beats shelling out hundreds for satellite hardware. Wish they'd get some more channels on the way...

Dan

"Shoot it."
post #84 of 2382 Old 08-16-2003, 03:13 AM
Advanced Member

While scanning the guide last night, I was surprised to see 775 KDKA HD was already there. It will no doubt disappear after the game tomorrow, but it sure did look sweet in the lineup.
post #85 of 2382 Old 08-16-2003, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Wouldn't it be nice if they just kept KDKA-DT on 775 after the game. Hey, what's the big deal, you've already made the connection, right?

I won't really be happy with Comcast HD until I see CBS and NBC on there.
post #86 of 2382 Old 08-16-2003, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Watching live HD picture from Heinz Field without sound OTA on KD. Not much going on but some players warming up. Picture looks good. Check it out if you care.
post #87 of 2382 Old 08-16-2003, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Sweet!!
post #88 of 2382 Old 08-16-2003, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey, I'm not getting anything on 775 here in Oakland. It's also not showing up in the program guide. My box has been off overnight (not even plugged in) Should I be worried?

Dan

"Shoot it."
post #89 of 2382 Old 08-17-2003, 05:17 PM

FYI - HBOHD is now active on channel 549!!
post #90 of 2382 Old 08-18-2003, 12:09 PM

Glad I signed up today, installation is backed up till Sept 4th, just in time for opening day in the NFL in HD on ESPN....comcast is of course backed up bc of all of us college students coming back.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page