Minneapolis, MN - Comcast - Page 100 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #2971 of 2984 Old 05-13-2015, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Nothing like a price increase right after a failed merger, huh?

Looks like a total $2.50 increase coming in the form of $1.50 "Broadcast TV Fee" and another $1 "Regional Sports Fee". Get a DVR from Comcast? That's also going up about $2.

According to my bill, these take hold June 1st. Glad I ditched Comcast's DVR for a Tivo all those years ago. The last time I upgraded my Tivo 2 years ago, I paid a hefty $1000 for a Pro with Lifetime service. Looks like that investment will now break even for me in 50 months, and I'm sure that box will last well over 5 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 2984 Old 05-14-2015, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnxmfan View Post
Nothing like a price increase right after a failed merger, huh?

Looks like a total $2.50 increase coming in the form of $1.50 "Broadcast TV Fee" and another $1 "Regional Sports Fee". Get a DVR from Comcast? That's also going up about $2.

According to my bill, these take hold June 1st. Glad I ditched Comcast's DVR for a Tivo all those years ago. The last time I upgraded my Tivo 2 years ago, I paid a hefty $1000 for a Pro with Lifetime service. Looks like that investment will now break even for me in 50 months, and I'm sure that box will last well over 5 years.

Whats great for me is I dont have to worry about price increases from Comcast. Why? My wife now works for them so our cable, internet and phone is FREE!!! All we have to pay for is the boxes and new X3 router which comes to about $45.00. Directv and Dish is also rising their prices as well I hear so its not only Comcast.
post #2973 of 2984 Old 05-14-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Whats great for me is I dont have to worry about price increases from Comcast. Why? My wife now works for them so our cable, internet and phone is FREE!!! All we have to pay for is the boxes and new X3 router which comes to about $45.00. Directv and Dish is also rising their prices as well I hear so its not only Comcast.
Yeah, to be honest, I'm surprised we haven't been hit with these fees sooner, as they started showing up in other markets years ago.

That said, with the cost of "Starter" cable now pushing $80 per month, I wonder how many more price increases the market can bear, especially with the number of new entertainment options available today. It seems like something the programming providers should be thinking of when they continue to demand more and more per subscriber, because eventually they will price themselves out of the market (and your bill largely goes to the programming providers). $960 a year seems like a lot to pay for TV.

Also, I am not impacted by these price increases, because I live in an association that has negotiated a bulk rate for cable, that comes in around $30 per month per resident. I think if I WERE paying $90 (including the HD Technology Fee) I might start considering other options, especially since with each passing day I'm watching less and less Cable TV.
post #2974 of 2984 Old 05-15-2015, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Anyone have a feeling on CentryLink potentially providing cable TV in Minneapolis? I saw a blip on it on KARE?? last night and it sounded like CL was petitioning the city to allow them to compete for cable service in Minneapolis, saying it would lower the cost and give people more options.....now I'd imagine they'd just be leasing the existing cable lines to provide their service? Apperently the city is actively considering it as we speak and CL was waiting for approval, they said if passed they could start providing service as soon as next month......considering that they'd have to be leasing lines vs running anything new. Personally I seriously doubt Comcast/Xfinity would allow this to happen but what do I know.
post #2975 of 2984 Old 05-15-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Anyone have a feeling on CentryLink potentially providing cable TV in Minneapolis? I saw a blip on it on KARE?? last night and it sounded like CL was petitioning the city to allow them to compete for cable service in Minneapolis, saying it would lower the cost and give people more options.....now I'd imagine they'd just be leasing the existing cable lines to provide their service? Apperently the city is actively considering it as we speak and CL was waiting for approval, they said if passed they could start providing service as soon as next month......considering that they'd have to be leasing lines vs running anything new. Personally I seriously doubt Comcast/Xfinity would allow this to happen but what do I know.
They would actually use Fibre to provide service to people in Minneapolis, which is why they are only rolling it out there for now. It's being done in some smaller communities today, and it is generally cheaper and faster than Cable service.

Since Centurylink is already doing this in order to provide 1gbps internet in this area, the addition of TV is actually pretty easy, since it would use the same infrastructure (similar to how Cable rolled out phone over existing cable internet).
post #2976 of 2984 Old 05-15-2015, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

CenturyLink isnt going to offer half the channels Comcast does and its will be years before they are even able to. No matter. My Comcast is free so thats where I will stay!
post #2977 of 2984 Old 05-16-2015, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Sounds like Minneapolis gave CentryLink the go-a-head to provide TV, call me surprised. I totally agree with steve1971, running new lines it would be many many years before CL would be available to more than a handful of people. Heck I live in the middle of a large(60k) suburb, houses to the left and right, yet the best internet CL is able to provide to my entire neighborhood is 1M It really ticks me off every time I see a CL ad touting 1G internet speed(in select areas) when my large neighborhood is lucky to get 1/1000th of that! I'd be happy with 1/10th or even 100th(which both my mother and father in different cities get) which might be competition for Comcast, 1000th is a total joke and every time I ask them when it will get better, all they can say is "they are upgrading areas all the time, but no dates yet"
For the foreseeable future Xfinity is my only choice for HS internet, at least with the ability to stream anything but Youtube.
post #2978 of 2984 Old Yesterday, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 25
It is not like the build-out for this is just happening now. CenturyLink already has been constantly upgrading and has fiber to the neighborhood nodes. It has been installing fiber in all new construction for years. My house was built in 2007 and there is fiber 20 feet away from my house in a box in my neighbor's yard - I saw it while it was being installed. This will roll out in Minneapolis much quicker than many people are thinking.

Also, their Prism TV service's best package has "320+ channels". I can't see any big gaps.
http://www.centurylink.com/prismtv/#...el-lineup.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CenturyLink

I welcome the competition. Hopefully we'll get more details from CL in June.
post #2979 of 2984 Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM

This will happen in Minneapolis quite quickly, as they do have the fiber in many areas. Remember, this is one part of their 1gbps internet rollout, so areas that have that available will have TV as soon as it is set up at the front end. They will provide MORE HD channels, because they will have more bandwidth to work with than Comcast does since it is 100% fiber to the home, and doesn't operate on QAM.

Since they don't have the bandwidth limitations that QAM and Copper have, they will have the capability to offer more HD channels and faster internet. What will take time is running the Fiber to areas that don't have it yet. While true that new developments have Fiber already, I believe they are dark until Centurylink completes the circuit. Good for them thinking ahead though, as that's less Fiber that will be needed once they do get to those areas. Hopefully they will increase investments in this area, as I'd like to see the competition. In other areas where the phone company is providing TV and 1gbps internet, it is usually slightly cheaper than Cable (and usually causes cable companies in these areas to either match the speed or the price or both to stay competitive) Look at areas that have Google Fiber, they pay less for Cable, and have access to higher speeds too.
post #2980 of 2984 Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Comcast is going fiber optic very soon in the St Paul/Minneapolis area and what that will essentially do is up the Internet strength, allow better and more streaming options, more HD Channels ect and thats coming from my wife, my own personal inside source! I'll stick with Comcast thank you very much!!!
post #2981 of 2984 Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The more competition, the better. As seen in other markets that have gotten Google Fiber, Comcast steps up their game when they actually have someone to compete against.

I can't see Comcast fixing their customer service any time soon, however. No matter what their CEO says.
post #2982 of 2984 Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNate View Post
The more competition, the better. As seen in other markets that have gotten Google Fiber, Comcast steps up their game when they actually have someone to compete against.

I can't see Comcast fixing their customer service any time soon, however. No matter what their CEO says.

I think your wrong on the last part. Comcast is overhauling their entire CS and Billing Support. Changes will not be quick and it will take some time as they get new blood in there but those areas will be fixed.
post #2983 of 2984 Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You don't go from being the most hated company in America to respectable in a short timespan.

Happily, my dealings with Comcast have gone fairly smoothly. I had to threaten to sue them once via certified mail to their main office in Minneapolis, but once I did that my issues were resolved quickly. Sad that it even had to come to that to get proper assistance...
post #2984 of 2984 Old Today, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Comcast is going fiber optic very soon in the St Paul/Minneapolis area and what that will essentially do is up the Internet strength, allow better and more streaming options, more HD Channels ect and thats coming from my wife, my own personal inside source! I'll stick with Comcast thank you very much!!!
I'm glad to hear it. I'm mostly a happy customer, but as internet needs continue to rise with higher quality streaming, that 50mbps pipe is going to start looking very slow. Since I have seen very little innovation on the infrastructure side, I'm glad to hear they are feeling the effects of competition and upping their game. As has been pointed out, in areas where they have to compete, they offer faster speeds for lower prices, almost always, and are still very profitable doing so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception