Minneapolis, MN - Comcast - Page 104 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes
post #3091 of 3098 Old 01-26-2016, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 32
New Comcast sub here as of yesterday

Moved into a place that has Comcast as part of the rent. But had to call to set up account since as we all know everything but the EAS station is scrambled. So called and they give you a SD box as part of it. Uh no thanks. Want HD. Went to the office off Excelsior to get a cable card. Came back and put it in Tivo Series 3 and wont work. They cant send the activation to make it work. UGH!
They could send a tech out Wednesday...screw it. Went back to office and got new card and it was up and running within 1/2 hour of putting new card in (it had to do firmware update). What was weird is Tivo said on 1st card "CISCO" yet it was a SA (Scientific Atlanta) card. 2nd one was a CISCO card.

I went and bought a modem from BB because I'm not paying $10 a month for modem. I asked the dedicated rep how that works for pricing as I paid for the internet but the TV is free. Its not a bad deal after credits. $25 for 25MB internet isnt too bad. They said the price is for 1 year.

So internet $25
TV free (it looks like digital starter which to me is the cable I remember in 2002 when I last had cable + some channels above 99)
no charge for HD
no charge for modem fee

All I hope is that I am not liable for those pesky "fees" (broadcast, RSN if there is one)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 3098 Old 01-26-2016, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
...They said the price is for 1 year.

So internet $25
TV free (it looks like digital starter which to me is the cable I remember in 2002 when I last had cable + some channels above 99)
no charge for HD
no charge for modem fee

All I hope is that I am not liable for those pesky "fees" (broadcast, RSN if there is one)
Sounds nice, so what will the price be after the first year? I'm betting it could double, or at least be $20 more, which again would be close to double.
Nice you were able to get a working CC, I wonder if you'll have the customary $2 CC fee?.....time will tell.
post #3093 of 3098 Old 01-26-2016, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I just signed up for Prism TV - 2 HD boxes, whole-home DVR, Preferred channel lineup (also with phone and 20 meg internet). $146.90 is what they are saying my monthly bill will be. My install is next Thursday - February 4th. We'll see how it goes.
post #3094 of 3098 Old 01-26-2016, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Sounds nice, so what will the price be after the first year? I'm betting it could double, or at least be $20 more, which again would be close to double.
Thats a year down the road. I'm not worried right now about that
Quote:
Nice you were able to get a working CC, I wonder if you'll have the customary $2 CC fee?.....time will tell.
I thought there was no fee for a CC (the 1st one)?
post #3095 of 3098 Old 01-31-2016, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

well got my bill and there is no fee for the CC....but I should get a 2.50 credit for "owned equipment" but didnt

As for the pricing I see a bundle of 25MB internet + digital starter...then a boatload of credits (remember....I get TV for free) and some more credits to get the $25 price for internet

No RSN fee but a 1.50 broadcast fee
post #3096 of 3098 Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I see Comcast added a new HD channel (OWN on ch.399). But what is different, including the fact it is in an unusual location at ch.399, is that I believe it is in MPEG4 and not like the others in MPEG2. There was no announcement about this new addition so I am wondering if they are testing MPEG4 here in the twin cities.

I think it is in MPEG4 instead of MPEG2 because it shows up and works on my TiVo Premiere Series 4 but does not display on my TiVo Series 3 HD unit. On the TiVo Series 3, it just displays a blank screen, (no video or sound) just the channel info.
steve1971 and thomasfxlt like this.
post #3097 of 3098 Old Today, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hafer View Post
I see Comcast added a new HD channel (OWN on ch.399). But what is different, including the fact it is in an unusual location at ch.399, is that I believe it is in MPEG4 and not like the others in MPEG2. There was no announcement about this new addition so I am wondering if they are testing MPEG4 here in the twin cities.

I think it is in MPEG4 instead of MPEG2 because it shows up and works on my TiVo Premiere Series 4 but does not display on my TiVo Series 3 HD unit. On the TiVo Series 3, it just displays a blank screen, (no video or sound) just the channel info.
They aren't testing, you are seeing the work in progress.

See this post older post for details on what they are doing:
Comcast HDTV
steve1971 likes this.
post #3098 of 3098 Unread Today, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post
They aren't testing, you are seeing the work in progress.

See this post older post for details on what they are doing:
Comcast HDTV

I dont know if it's hit the St Paul area yet blitzen, my wife since she works at Comcast is going to check for me, but to my eye the HD channels look alot better then they did a few years back. I just wish they would add more to their HD lineup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page