Minneapolis, MN - Comcast - Page 104 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #3091 of 3112 Old 01-26-2016, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 32
New Comcast sub here as of yesterday

Moved into a place that has Comcast as part of the rent. But had to call to set up account since as we all know everything but the EAS station is scrambled. So called and they give you a SD box as part of it. Uh no thanks. Want HD. Went to the office off Excelsior to get a cable card. Came back and put it in Tivo Series 3 and wont work. They cant send the activation to make it work. UGH!
They could send a tech out Wednesday...screw it. Went back to office and got new card and it was up and running within 1/2 hour of putting new card in (it had to do firmware update). What was weird is Tivo said on 1st card "CISCO" yet it was a SA (Scientific Atlanta) card. 2nd one was a CISCO card.

I went and bought a modem from BB because I'm not paying $10 a month for modem. I asked the dedicated rep how that works for pricing as I paid for the internet but the TV is free. Its not a bad deal after credits. $25 for 25MB internet isnt too bad. They said the price is for 1 year.

So internet $25
TV free (it looks like digital starter which to me is the cable I remember in 2002 when I last had cable + some channels above 99)
no charge for HD
no charge for modem fee

All I hope is that I am not liable for those pesky "fees" (broadcast, RSN if there is one)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 3112 Old 01-26-2016, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
...They said the price is for 1 year.

So internet $25
TV free (it looks like digital starter which to me is the cable I remember in 2002 when I last had cable + some channels above 99)
no charge for HD
no charge for modem fee

All I hope is that I am not liable for those pesky "fees" (broadcast, RSN if there is one)
Sounds nice, so what will the price be after the first year? I'm betting it could double, or at least be $20 more, which again would be close to double.
Nice you were able to get a working CC, I wonder if you'll have the customary $2 CC fee?.....time will tell.
post #3093 of 3112 Old 01-26-2016, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just signed up for Prism TV - 2 HD boxes, whole-home DVR, Preferred channel lineup (also with phone and 20 meg internet). $146.90 is what they are saying my monthly bill will be. My install is next Thursday - February 4th. We'll see how it goes.
post #3094 of 3112 Old 01-26-2016, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Sounds nice, so what will the price be after the first year? I'm betting it could double, or at least be $20 more, which again would be close to double.
Thats a year down the road. I'm not worried right now about that
Quote:
Nice you were able to get a working CC, I wonder if you'll have the customary $2 CC fee?.....time will tell.
I thought there was no fee for a CC (the 1st one)?
post #3095 of 3112 Old 01-31-2016, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

well got my bill and there is no fee for the CC....but I should get a 2.50 credit for "owned equipment" but didnt

As for the pricing I see a bundle of 25MB internet + digital starter...then a boatload of credits (remember....I get TV for free) and some more credits to get the $25 price for internet

No RSN fee but a 1.50 broadcast fee
post #3096 of 3112 Old 02-10-2016, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I see Comcast added a new HD channel (OWN on ch.399). But what is different, including the fact it is in an unusual location at ch.399, is that I believe it is in MPEG4 and not like the others in MPEG2. There was no announcement about this new addition so I am wondering if they are testing MPEG4 here in the twin cities.

I think it is in MPEG4 instead of MPEG2 because it shows up and works on my TiVo Premiere Series 4 but does not display on my TiVo Series 3 HD unit. On the TiVo Series 3, it just displays a blank screen, (no video or sound) just the channel info.
steve1971 and thomasfxlt like this.
post #3097 of 3112 Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hafer View Post
I see Comcast added a new HD channel (OWN on ch.399). But what is different, including the fact it is in an unusual location at ch.399, is that I believe it is in MPEG4 and not like the others in MPEG2. There was no announcement about this new addition so I am wondering if they are testing MPEG4 here in the twin cities.

I think it is in MPEG4 instead of MPEG2 because it shows up and works on my TiVo Premiere Series 4 but does not display on my TiVo Series 3 HD unit. On the TiVo Series 3, it just displays a blank screen, (no video or sound) just the channel info.
They aren't testing, you are seeing the work in progress.

See this post older post for details on what they are doing:
Comcast HDTV
steve1971 likes this.
post #3098 of 3112 Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post
They aren't testing, you are seeing the work in progress.

See this post older post for details on what they are doing:
Comcast HDTV

I dont know if it's hit the St Paul area yet blitzen, my wife since she works at Comcast is going to check for me, but to my eye the HD channels look alot better then they did a few years back. I just wish they would add more to their HD lineup.
post #3099 of 3112 Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
I dont know if it's hit the St Paul area yet blitzen, my wife since she works at Comcast is going to check for me, but to my eye the HD channels look alot better then they did a few years back. I just wish they would add more to their HD lineup.
If you have a DCX set-top box you can check yourself by going to channel 399 and then going into the diagnostic mode. It will show whether it is MPEG-2 or 4.
post #3100 of 3112 Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you have a DCX set-top box you can check yourself by going to channel 399 and then going into the diagnostic mode. It will show whether it is MPEG-2 or 4.

Ok I have channel 399 but how do I get into diagnostic mode?
post #3101 of 3112 Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
I don't believe you can with the X1 system.

Another thing you can't do - as far as I know - is to program a 30 second skip into the remote. I believe the only way to skip through commercials when watching a recorded program is to use the FF button.

Vizio M80-C3
Denon AVR-X7200WA
Odyssey HT-3 Plus
Infinity Prelude MTS
HSU ULS-15 MK2 DualDrive
Oppo BDP-83
post #3102 of 3112 Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It has been a while since I've had a DCX but I think it is....

Use the swap button and set BOTH tuners to 399 so there is less confusion in diagnostic mode.

Turn the STB off and press OK/SELECT on the remote within 2 seconds to enter the diagnostic menu.
Press the DOWN arrow and then OK/SELECT to select the "d04 INBAND STATUS" option.
I think it is d04 which displays whether it is MPEG-2 or 4, if not, try the other selections.
The up/down arrows switch between the two tuners.

As far as i know, you can't actually change channels while in Diagnostic mode. If you want to look at a different channels or channels, you need to turn the unit back on again, change the channel, then go back into diagnostic mode.

Last edited by blitzen102; Yesterday at 01:51 PM.
post #3103 of 3112 Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I saved the full diagnostic mode instructions in a Word file, so if you want me to email those to you just send me your email address. It's rather long and involved, with pictures of screen shots, but it starts out like this:

DCT 5100 / 6200 series On Board Diagnostics Screens

Inside of the Motorola DCT STB's there is a diagnostics screen that you can use to troubleshoot problems with your box. Mostly these screens help with problem you maybe having with your digital channels (ch 100 and up). These problems can be video dropouts, tiling, micro/macro blocking, ect. Lets start with how to enter into the Diagnostics screen:

Turn the DCT OFF > press SELECT (within 2 sec)
Using your ARROW KEYS to move up and down the list and press the SELECT button to see more information. Pressing SELECT again will then take you back to the main menu.

Vizio M80-C3
Denon AVR-X7200WA
Odyssey HT-3 Plus
Infinity Prelude MTS
HSU ULS-15 MK2 DualDrive
Oppo BDP-83
post #3104 of 3112 Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a service today. Talking to him he said soon all HD channels will move to mpeg4. It does sound like 1 channel is already. He was noting that after knowing I have tivos. All my tivos are mpeg4 compatible.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
post #3105 of 3112 Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It also sounds like those old silver cable boxes will be listed as standard definition boxes since they are not mpeg4 compatible.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
post #3106 of 3112 Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I can get to channel 1995 on my X1 box - it obviously shows my box is good to go. 599 comes in fine for me.

Again, see this post for some excellent detail:

Comcast HDTV

According to the post, if channel 1995 is active, the transition has started.
steve1971 likes this.
post #3107 of 3112 Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I can get to channel 1995 on my X1 box - it obviously shows my box is good to go. 599 comes in fine for me.

Again, see this post for some excellent detail:

Comcast HDTV

According to the post, if channel 1995 is active, the transition has started.

Yep it looks as though my X1 box is all set to go. Channel 1995 is active on mine.
post #3108 of 3112 Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yep it looks as though my X1 box is all set to go. Channel 1995 is active on mine.
Just checked all of mine and they are good to go!

Vizio M80-C3
Denon AVR-X7200WA
Odyssey HT-3 Plus
Infinity Prelude MTS
HSU ULS-15 MK2 DualDrive
Oppo BDP-83
post #3109 of 3112 Old Today, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Well it look's like mpeg4 will be the standard for all HD channels for Comcast going forward. Its already being implemented in the St Paul MN area. Well I guess I now know why my HD channels look so good and they will be adding yet more HD channels very soon. Bravo Comcast. Also just a heads up for those 4K enthusiast's that are interested Comcast has scrapped plans for a 4K set top box that was planned for later this year. They are taking Sony's view on waiting to see if 4K actually takes off before they issue any 4K set top boxes. Is that a smart move on their part? I say it is. Just like I said it was wise for Sony deciding not to bring out any 4K Blu ray players until they see where 4K is at by years end. Comcast is going the same route and concentrating on ways to make their HD lineup better and by going the mpeg4 route they are on the right path.
post #3110 of 3112 Old Today, 09:02 AM
Lab Rat

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Well it look's like mpeg4 will be the standard for all HD channels for Comcast going forward. Its already being implemented in the St Paul MN area. Well I guess I now know why my HD channels look so good and they will be adding yet more HD channels very soon. Bravo Comcast. Also just a heads up for those 4K enthusiast's that are interested Comcast has scrapped plans for a 4K set top box that was planned for later this year. They are taking Sony's view on waiting to see if 4K actually takes off before they issue any 4K set top boxes. Is that a smart move on their part? I say it is. Just like I said it was wise for Sony deciding not to bring out any 4K Blu ray players until they see where 4K is at by years end. Comcast is going the same route and concentrating on ways to make their HD lineup better and by going the mpeg4 route they are on the right path.
That is the correct move for Cable IMO. If they can make cable channels look like HD bluray (and some do already... especially some of the really high end commercials) that is all we need from our news and live sports, daytime shows etc. Most of the actual shows/programming is going towards streaming/on-demand, so the availability of local feed bandwidth can be mitigated anyway. If they can solve the live-feed issue for new and sports... we're set.
steve1971 likes this.

Vizio M80C3
Pioneer Elite SC-95
Xfinity X1
AppleTV Gen 4
Roku 4
Sony Bluray
post #3111 of 3112 Old Today, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Also just a heads up for those 4K enthusiast's that are interested Comcast has scrapped plans for a 4K set top box that was planned for later this year. They are taking Sony's view on waiting to see if 4K actually takes off before they issue any 4K set top boxes. Is that a smart move on their part? I say it is.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 4K TV's themselves do the upscaling of whatever resolution is sent (1080P in the case of HD programming on Comcast's X1 box). So, what would be the point for a 4K Comcast box anyway, at least until networks and cable channels start sending them programming in 4K? (currently, I believe, it is either 1080i or 720P). I don't think there's any question as to whether or not 4K is going to "take off". Aren't the majority of TV's now being sold 4K?

Please correct me if I'm wrong on anything here as I'm not as up-to-date on this stuff as many others are here on AVS!

Vizio M80-C3
Denon AVR-X7200WA
Odyssey HT-3 Plus
Infinity Prelude MTS
HSU ULS-15 MK2 DualDrive
Oppo BDP-83
post #3112 of 3112 Old Today, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaumgart View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 4K TV's themselves do the upscaling of whatever resolution is sent (1080P in the case of HD programming on Comcast's X1 box). So, what would be the point for a 4K Comcast box anyway, at least until networks and cable channels start sending them programming in 4K? (currently, I believe, it is either 1080i or 720P). I don't think there's any question as to whether or not 4K is going to "take off". Aren't the majority of TV's now being sold 4K?

Please correct me if I'm wrong on anything here as I'm not as up-to-date on this stuff as many others are here on AVS!

No your not wrong. But for some reason companies like Directv are coming out with 4K boxes and as to why is beyond me when networks and cable channels are not going the 4K route at least not for the forseeable future anyway. But it's marketing hype I guess and companies want to jump on the next best thing as they see it, just like they did with 3D and look how that all panned out. Yes 4K tv's will upscale the signal for cable channels just like my 55W900A is set to where it upscales the channel's to 1080p. As for 4K taking off? The manufacturer's are banking on it that it will and they better with all the money they have invested in it. But thats another topic and a whole other story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception