Minneapolis, MN - Comcast - Page 106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 40Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #3151 of 3172 Old 06-09-2016, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Posts: 2,697
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Just a heads up for Atmos owners. Last night I was playing around with my DVR and I came upon some Atmos trailers and they have a Black Sails Atmos episode. Even though I dont have an Atmos setup but a modest 7.1 setup the sound coming from my system was incredible! It looks as though Comcast might be living up to their promise of having Atmos sound going through their set top boxes for Atmos owners. Right now its just a few trailers and one episode of Black Sails but if Comcast fully implements Atmos for surround sound then I'm upgrading my surround sound system ASAP!!!!


steve1971 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3152 of 3172 Old 06-09-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blitzen102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Story on a la carte cable:

http://www.latimes.com/business/laza...nap-story.html

Thank you, HBO, for moving to allow internet-only (not cable, not Sat) subscribers. This was a major loosening of bundled logjam.
blitzen102 is offline  
post #3153 of 3172 Old 06-09-2016, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blitzen102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Just a heads up for Atmos owners. Last night I was playing around with my DVR and I came upon some Atmos trailers and they have a Black Sails Atmos episode. Even though I dont have an Atmos setup but a modest 7.1 setup the sound coming from my system was incredible! It looks as though Comcast might be living up to their promise of having Atmos sound going through their set top boxes for Atmos owners. Right now its just a few trailers and one episode of Black Sails but if Comcast fully implements Atmos for surround sound then I'm upgrading my surround sound system ASAP!!!!


Why upgrade if it already sounds fantastic? Atmos home theater only supports a max of 7.1.
blitzen102 is offline  
post #3154 of 3172 Old 06-10-2016, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Posts: 2,697
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post
Why upgrade if it already sounds fantastic? Atmos home theater only supports a max of 7.1.

Why upgrade to Atmos? Because one I have always wanted to since it first hit and second I have the perfect video display in my book in my 55W900A and now I want the sound system to complement it.
steve1971 is offline  
post #3155 of 3172 Old 06-21-2016, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehren in MN View Post
The funniest thing is I got this notice as well last week. When I talked to someone via the Comcast chat they claimed to look at my future 2 bills and that the rate would not in fact be increasing, at least in the interim.
Well I got my new bill and BAM 4.50 broadcast fee on the bill. I chatted with them and basically was told "thats what the new fee is..." (and deal with it)
unclehonkey is offline  
post #3156 of 3172 Old 06-21-2016, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 44
ON the plus side starting today NFL (ch 180, 736) and NFL HD (ch 181, 876) will be moved from the Digital Preferred package to the Digital Starter package
worachj likes this.
unclehonkey is offline  
post #3157 of 3172 Old 06-22-2016, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Posts: 2,697
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
Well I got my new bill and BAM 4.50 broadcast fee on the bill. I chatted with them and basically was told "thats what the new fee is..." (and deal with it)

Well what did you expect Comcast to do. They have to pay the content providers to carry the channels and the content. If they don't then the channel get's dropped and people bitch that they cant watch their favorite movie's and show's. Last time I checked Directv did the same thing so paying a broadcast fee is not unheard of.
steve1971 is offline  
post #3158 of 3172 Old 06-22-2016, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Well what did you expect Comcast to do. They have to pay the content providers to carry the channels and the content. If they don't then the channel get's dropped and people bitch that they cant watch their favorite movie's and show's. Last time I checked Directv did the same thing so paying a broadcast fee is not unheard of.
Since your wife works for Comcast I'd expect a response like that from you. But first off Directv does not charge a broadcast fee (neither does Dish). Directv does charge a RSN fee which they just started here this year.

My situation is unique as we get limited basic as part of the rent. But since you need a box for everything as soon as you get the "free" SD box now you're charged almost $6 on something we get "for free". I got smart and have a cable card for my Tivo but I still pay the taxes and the FEES.
(I pay for internet but own my own modem...$10 a month for a modem? screw that)

In all honesty I don't need the cable portion. I have an antenna bolted to my deck railing that gets me the extra channels I watch that Comcast doesnt carry like GetTV (23-4) and the 43's (Bounce, Laff, Cozi, Escape).
unclehonkey is offline  
post #3159 of 3172 Old 06-22-2016, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I see in the Tivo guide they added a couple channels (one was NBC Universo sports and one was something that just says TBA in the guide) and also renamed 191 from Leased Access to Sonlife (so there is guide info) and 599 which looks like a Latino programming preview type station.
unclehonkey is offline  
post #3160 of 3172 Old 06-22-2016, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,890
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Somewhat off topic - what does it take to get Comcast to roll out service in an area they don't serve yet? I moved into a new construction subdivision where there are houses on my block that have Comcast but they won't run the service to us.

I really love Comcast's PQ over AT&T but if I don't have a choice I don't have a choice.

(side note : U-Verse's gigabit service is pretty awesome until you have an outage, in which case good luck getting them to fix it in a timely manner)
JRock3x8 is offline  
post #3161 of 3172 Old 06-22-2016, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 11,073
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 217
If Comcast is on your street it makes no sense they wouldn't run it to your house Is the service across a large busy street or some other major obstruction? Since Comcast is first and foremost a money making venture(as much as we'd like to consider them otherwise) your best bet is to find as many neighbors near you that would also commit to Comcast. If enough people would be willing to do that(and possibly sign a contract stating such???) they might run the feeder for free. If it's only your house or a very limited number of houses that would probably never expand, the cost of running the line would probably be up to you.
Comcast like most businesses would probably look at the balance sheet, if it's going to cost them $1000s of dollars to run a line to your home, or a limited number of homes and the payback for them would approach the years, they probably wouldn't be interested. Thats what happened in a multi-tenant building I work for, one tenant wanted Comcast fiber but no one else was willing to commit. The tenant ended up paying several thousand dollars(I believe it approached $10k) to run the fiber. Once in the building the connection was in a common demark and since then several others have "tagged" on for only a increased monthly service fee Can't blame Comcast, just trying to keep their shareholders happy
jjeff is online now  
post #3162 of 3172 Old 06-22-2016, 05:42 PM
Member
 
mnxmfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
Since your wife works for Comcast I'd expect a response like that from you. But first off Directv does not charge a broadcast fee (neither does Dish). Directv does charge a RSN fee which they just started here this year.

My situation is unique as we get limited basic as part of the rent. But since you need a box for everything as soon as you get the "free" SD box now you're charged almost $6 on something we get "for free". I got smart and have a cable card for my Tivo but I still pay the taxes and the FEES.
(I pay for internet but own my own modem...$10 a month for a modem? screw that)

In all honesty I don't need the cable portion. I have an antenna bolted to my deck railing that gets me the extra channels I watch that Comcast doesnt carry like GetTV (23-4) and the 43's (Bounce, Laff, Cozi, Escape).
I don't think his wife working there really has anything to do with it. I don't have a relative that works for a cable company, but I understand the need for the fee. If you want to get mad at someone, get mad at the local TV station, and the FCC. A number of years ago, they changed re-transmission consent due to lobbying from local broadcast companies and broadcast networks. Up until that time, Cable companies were REQUIRED to carry any local channels, but did so at no cost to them from the broadcaster. Broadcasters, due to starting to see shrinking budgets and better programming from cable networks that were essentially "double dipping" (selling advertising and charging a fee to be carried) felt that the way to make up this money was to be put on equal ground with the cable companies. So, instead of cable companies getting to carry KMSP for free, they now had to PAY for that privilege, or lose the right to have it as part of the lineup. And depending on the popularity of the channel in question, each channel could charge $1-2 per sub to carry it. So, instead of raising the rates of basic cable, they kept that low but added on a "broadcast fee" to cover those additional costs. (Regional sports fees are similar).

DirectTV and Dish have to pay the same fees, but they have decided that it is more beneficial to them to bundle them into the price of the subscription (if local channels are not available in your area, I have seen that people get $5 off their subscription). It's all marketing. Looking at DirectTV's regular monthly fee (currently $100 if you want ESPN and $111 if you want Fox Sports North too) I'd say that they are more than comparable with the fees charged by Comcast ($75, plus $10 HD Fee, plus $5 broadcast and $2 sports fee, more if you want more rooms or a DVR which is included with DirectTV).

As far as the equipment fees, they are ridiculous. Up until recently I used my own modem (which pays for itself after just 8 months and lasts much longer) and also have a Tivo and a few Minis to get to other rooms. I get that Comcast needs to recoup the equipment cost, but $10 for a modem or cable box is a HUGE markup. I say "until recently" because I also have a unique situation. The association I belong to gets a bulk rate deal for our entire block. This now includes a modem, up to 3 HD boxes, internet, and the HD technology fee. Because of that, I let them give me one of their modems, but I kept my Tivo stuff, for now. Because Tivo was recently acquired by Rovi, and a box with lifetime is now close to $1000, the breakeven point is now almost 9 years (Comcast also dropped the DVR to $10) so this might be the last Tivo I ever get. With the new X1 platform, they are actually in many ways superior to Tivo and a cheaper price (in most ways, many more when Tivo's patents expire soon).
steve1971 likes this.
mnxmfan is offline  
post #3163 of 3172 Old 06-23-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Its a money grab. Plain and simple. So all of a sudden they feel the need to TRIPLE the fee for broadcast stations? And if you have a package with RSN's they TRIPLED that fee too?

I can deal with package increases (to a point) but it seems like "oh lets keep our prices down but we'll just throw on a bunch of fees and maybe nobody will look at them". So if you want a HD box and a modem there is $20 extra on your bill. So for "regular folks" who have the limited basic/25MB internet that is on the site for 49.99 discounted rate. But if you want HD and dont want to buy a modem by the time you're done the bill will be $75 after the money grabs.
unclehonkey is offline  
post #3164 of 3172 Old 06-24-2016, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Posts: 2,697
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
Since your wife works for Comcast I'd expect a response like that from you. But first off Directv does not charge a broadcast fee (neither does Dish). Directv does charge a RSN fee which they just started here this year.

My situation is unique as we get limited basic as part of the rent. But since you need a box for everything as soon as you get the "free" SD box now you're charged almost $6 on something we get "for free". I got smart and have a cable card for my Tivo but I still pay the taxes and the FEES.
(I pay for internet but own my own modem...$10 a month for a modem? screw that)

In all honesty I don't need the cable portion. I have an antenna bolted to my deck railing that gets me the extra channels I watch that Comcast doesnt carry like GetTV (23-4) and the 43's (Bounce, Laff, Cozi, Escape).


First just because my wife work's for Comcast doesnt mean I agree with everything they do in fact I will call them out if I think they are doing something they shouldnt or are charging prices they shouldnt. But I will not blame them for upping broadcast fee's because it's something they simply have to do. And you said Directv dont charge broadcast fee's and neither does Dish? Wrong! Their broadcast fee's are included with their bundle packages I know because my mother and father used to have Directv and they pretty much say it in their fine print on commercials and in paper add's. Again though just because my wife work's for Comcast doesnt mean I wont call them out if I think they deserve it because trust me I will with no hesitation.
steve1971 is offline  
post #3165 of 3172 Old 06-24-2016, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
But I will not blame them for upping broadcast fee's because it's something they simply have to do.
no they don't. No provider HAS to do anything. Its something they do because its a money grab. No different than a provider raising their DVR fee from say $7 to $10 (Dish did that this past winter but they were nice and existing folks were grandfathered at the old rate).

Quote:
And you said Directv dont charge broadcast fee's and neither does Dish? Wrong! Their broadcast fee's are included with their bundle packages I know because my mother and father used to have Directv and they pretty much say it in their fine print on commercials and in paper add's.
ummm try again. Directv charges a RSN fee in most areas (Dish does not...yet). But neither provider charges a "broadcast fee". That is a cable "perk".
Dish and Directv use to charge separate for locals ($5) and you had the option of not getting them. But in 2011 both providers forced you to get locals and raised the package rates $5. Directv in the few (10-12) markets that they dont carry locals there is a $3 discount.

If there was a broadcast fee that either provider charged, I'm pretty sure on places like dbstalk and satelliteguys they'd be bitching discussing about it.
unclehonkey is offline  
post #3166 of 3172 Old 06-25-2016, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Posts: 2,697
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
no they don't. No provider HAS to do anything. Its something they do because its a money grab. No different than a provider raising their DVR fee from say $7 to $10 (Dish did that this past winter but they were nice and existing folks were grandfathered at the old rate).



ummm try again. Directv charges a RSN fee in most areas (Dish does not...yet). But neither provider charges a "broadcast fee". That is a cable "perk".
Dish and Directv use to charge separate for locals ($5) and you had the option of not getting them. But in 2011 both providers forced you to get locals and raised the package rates $5. Directv in the few (10-12) markets that they dont carry locals there is a $3 discount.

If there was a broadcast fee that either provider charged, I'm pretty sure on places like dbstalk and satelliteguys they'd be bitching discussing about it.

Whoever you are SIR!!!!!! I am Tennie Smith, Steve's wife.. NOW I am going to say this once and for all. MY husband DOES NOT favor COMCAST just because I WORK THERE (PROUDLY), Me working there has nothing to do with anything, regarding Broadcast TV fee and Regional Sports fee they are fees we as a company HAVE to pay because we are in a contract with the NETWORKS therefore we as COMCAST has to charge customers including ourselves for the fees as well, If you are complaining about it then go back to the RADIO!!!!!! If Broadcast Fees are not paid then no broadcasting signals will be used. By the Way Direct TV does charge them and WON'T tell customers I knew people who worked there. So DON'T tell ME or my husband we DON'T KNOW what we are talking about.
steve1971 is offline  
post #3167 of 3172 Old 06-25-2016, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 44
feel better? Its funny how after your husband said he doesnt favor Comcast I dropped it....obviously you wanted to get your point across.

Now then.....

Quote:
regarding Broadcast TV fee and Regional Sports fee they are fees we as a company HAVE to pay because we are in a contract with the NETWORKS therefore we as COMCAST has to charge customers including ourselves for the fees as well,
no you don't. Companies can either roll it in to the package price, eat the cost, or charge customers. There are other cable companies that dont have a separate line for "broadcast fee".

Quote:
If you are complaining about it then go back to the RADIO!!!!!!
Why would I go back to radio when I can just use my antenna I have outside? Oh wait I do....because I watch GetTV, Laff, Bounce and Cozi on the antenna.
Oh and by the way...I called, complained, and got a one time $20 credit on my bill. So with that credit I basically got the broadcast fee dropped back to what it was (1.50) for the next 6+ months

Quote:
By the Way Direct TV does charge them and WON'T tell customers I knew people who worked there.
ummm NO THEY DONT!!! (see I can use capitalization too). As of January when I dropped D* there was NO broadcast fee nor RSN fee. Directv started charging a RSN fee in Minnesota on the February bills (my stepdad started yelling about that) and as of his current bill (printed 5 days ago) there is no line on the bill that says "broadcast fee". Now if they roll it into the package price when they raised rates in February...not a big deal.

Quote:
So DON'T tell ME or my husband we DON'T KNOW what we are talking about.
well don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about. I know how this works and know what fees both Dish and Directv charge
unclehonkey is offline  
post #3168 of 3172 Old 06-27-2016, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Posts: 2,697
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
feel better? Its funny how after your husband said he doesnt favor Comcast I dropped it....obviously you wanted to get your point across.

Now then.....


no you don't. Companies can either roll it in to the package price, eat the cost, or charge customers. There are other cable companies that dont have a separate line for "broadcast fee".


Why would I go back to radio when I can just use my antenna I have outside? Oh wait I do....because I watch GetTV, Laff, Bounce and Cozi on the antenna.
Oh and by the way...I called, complained, and got a one time $20 credit on my bill. So with that credit I basically got the broadcast fee dropped back to what it was (1.50) for the next 6+ months


ummm NO THEY DONT!!! (see I can use capitalization too). As of January when I dropped D* there was NO broadcast fee nor RSN fee. Directv started charging a RSN fee in Minnesota on the February bills (my stepdad started yelling about that) and as of his current bill (printed 5 days ago) there is no line on the bill that says "broadcast fee". Now if they roll it into the package price when they raised rates in February...not a big deal.


well don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about. I know how this works and know what fees both Dish and Directv charge


I told my wife it aint worth arguing with people here on AVS forum's cause your gonna lose everytime. Your either told you dont know what your talking about or are flamed because you dont support a format or have an opinion that differ's from other's. That being said all I will say is if you dont like Comcast and what they charge then go with Directv and Dish and enjoy power outages and beyond horrible customer service. Your choice and your money.
steve1971 is offline  
post #3169 of 3172 Old 06-27-2016, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
That being said all I will say is if you dont like Comcast and what they charge then go with Directv and Dish and enjoy power outages and beyond horrible customer service. Your choice and your money.
If I could go with Directv or Dish I probably would (I have had both in the past) but being in an apartment thats kinda hard
Power outages? No offence but I've had more outages with Comcast in 5 months than I did with satellite.
unclehonkey is offline  
post #3170 of 3172 Old 08-01-2016, 04:50 PM
Member
 
ibelievein93x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I used to wish you could drop the broadcast channels (and corresponding fees) because you could do cable and antenna in the same TiVo. But now with my roamio, it doesn't matter as much. Still, it would be better to give the choice to drop the channels and the fees.
ibelievein93x is offline  
post #3171 of 3172 Old 08-08-2016, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Posts: 2,697
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibelievein93x View Post
I used to wish you could drop the broadcast channels (and corresponding fees) because you could do cable and antenna in the same TiVo. But now with my roamio, it doesn't matter as much. Still, it would be better to give the choice to drop the channels and the fees.

I agree with you on this one. Customers should be givin the option on what channels they want and dont want. There are so many channels I dont watch and I think its a waste really.
steve1971 is offline  
post #3172 of 3172 Unread Today, 09:06 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I got a letter stating my equipment was obsolete and needed to be upgraded or I would start "losing HD channels"
Do they mean it this time or is it another scare tactic to get me locked into X1?
Are they intending to phase out non-X1 service at some time in the future?
Monte Castleman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off