Minneapolis, MN - Comcast - Page 108 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 52Likes

post #3211 of 3232 Old 11-26-2016, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaumgart View Post
Might want to exchange your modem to eliminate that as the possible problem.
Back to normal this morning. Seems to be just a problem for my area last night
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3232 Old 11-28-2016, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Still no Blast speed increase in Eagan. Every day since the announcement I've power-cycled my modem. Seeing around 100mbps down, same as pre-announcement.

post #3213 of 3232 Old 12-06-2016, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Going back to the Comcast change over to MPEG4, it was confirmed they did a down rez from 1080i to 720p on all 1080i channels except for the locals. I am totally disappointed in Comcast for doing this and especially for doing it without letting any of us know.

See: Busted! Comcast Down-Converts native 1080i Channels to 720P!!!
at: http://www.tivocommunity.com/communi...o-720p.542203/
for more info.
post #3214 of 3232 Old 12-06-2016, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hafer View Post
Going back to the Comcast change over to MPEG4, it was confirmed they did a down rez from 1080i to 720p on all 1080i channels except for the locals. I am totally disappointed in Comcast for doing this and especially for doing it without letting any of us know.

See: Busted! Comcast Down-Converts native 1080i Channels to 720P!!!
at: http://www.tivocommunity.com/communi...o-720p.542203/
for more info.
Yeah, I'm planning on getting my antenna set up in the attic this weekend. It's unacceptable for the prices they charge.
post #3215 of 3232 Old 12-06-2016, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Going back to the Comcast change over to MPEG4, it was confirmed they did a down rez from 1080i to 720p on all 1080i channels except for the locals.
There are at least two cable channels that are still 1080i. NBCSN and the Weather Channel. Funny, they're both owned by Comcast/NBCUniversal. I'm not implying that all the channels they own are still 1080i because that's not the case. Why these two left overs?

This recent change gives me even more interest in checking out CenturyLink Prism TV when they light up the fiber that they recently strung in my alley.

Last edited by Ray'; 12-06-2016 at 05:50 PM.
post #3216 of 3232 Old 12-07-2016, 06:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNate View Post
Yeah, I'm planning on getting my antenna set up in the attic this weekend. It's unacceptable for the prices they charge.
Note they are not down-rezzing the locals so you won't really gain anything there, but you should save some cash(I say some because if your getting internet from Comcast you may not save all that much) but in addition to the main locals you'll get tons of sub channels that Comcast doesn't bother carrying. Last scan I got almost 60 channels and after you subtract the religious and infomercial channels I still get ~30 channels I'd care to watch, not too bad for free

Last edited by jjeff; 12-07-2016 at 10:42 AM.
post #3217 of 3232 Old 12-07-2016, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Well if Comcast did indeed down rezz some of their HD channels I sure the hell cant see the difference!
post #3218 of 3232 Old 12-07-2016, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Well if Comcast did indeed down rezz some of their HD channels I sure the hell cant see the difference!
Steve since you work there could you find out and advise the thread followers here what the heck going on? Honestly I was hoping that Comcast would be going in the other direction, working to improve picture quality by gradually shifting to 4k.

Vizio M80-C3
Denon AVR-X7200WA
Odyssey HT-3 Plus
Infinity Prelude MTS
HSU ULS-15 MK2 DualDrive
Oppo BDP-83
post #3219 of 3232 Old 12-07-2016, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Steve since you work there could you find out and advise the thread followers here what the heck going on? Honestly I was hoping that Comcast would be going in the other direction, working to improve picture quality by gradually shifting to 4k.
Will do. I'll see what I can find out and report back in the morning.
post #3220 of 3232 Old 12-07-2016, 03:36 PM

I just checked both The Weather Channel and NBCSN and see Comcast they is still using MPEG2 on them and not MPEG4 like all the other HD channels. I guess that explains why these two orphan channels are still in 1080i and not down rez to 720p.
post #3221 of 3232 Old 12-07-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I just checked both The Weather Channel and NBCSN and see Comcast is still using MPEG2 on them and not MPEG4 like all the other HD channels. I guess that explains why these two orphan channels are still in 1080i and not down rez to 720p.

Thanks for the info John. I found a third orphan. NFLHD is still 1080i also. How are you checking that? I'd like to do it myself. Thanks, Ray
post #3222 of 3232 Old 12-07-2016, 07:26 PM

Hitting the info button on my TiVo Premier shows the native rez for the channel you are currently on. So for example, for Encore, it used to say "1080i" but now it shows "720p".

To know if the channel is in MPEG 2 or MPEG 4, I also have a TiVo Series 3 that is not compatible with MPEG 4, only MPEG 2. If I tune in a channel that is in MPEG 2, it displays the channel fine, but if I tune in a channel that is now in MPEG4, I just get a blank screen with no video or audio.

The channels mentioned above in my other post (Weather Channel and NBCSN) still play on my TiVo Series 3. All of the other channels now in MPEG 4 no longer play. I plan on using this Series 3 TiVo on a old SD TV now that it will no longer view HD channels, save the ones just mentioned.

Hope this helps.
post #3223 of 3232 Old 12-07-2016, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 70
From what I've been able to determine the new Comcast X1 boxes don't provide the same level of detailed information that their older boxes did. So I'm at a loss in determining if the newly reported "down rez" change applies to the service in my area. The "Info" button on my TV shows 1080P, but that apparently indicates the upconverted resolution that the TV applies to the incoming 720P Comcast signal?

Vizio M80-C3
Denon AVR-X7200WA
Odyssey HT-3 Plus
Infinity Prelude MTS
HSU ULS-15 MK2 DualDrive
Oppo BDP-83
post #3224 of 3232 Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The "Info" button on my TV shows 1080P, but that apparently indicates the upconverted resolution that the TV applies to the incoming 720P Comcast signal?
Yes the INFO on your TV only shows the 1080p upconverted output of your X1 box, to find the actual resolution of the channel the X1 box would have to have a INFO button or if none is available look for some kind of SETTINGS menu on the X1 box. Note it might only be available in some sort of service menu that you may not have access to or would have to find out how to gain access to.
JBaumgart likes this.
post #3225 of 3232 Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I got some limited info and indeed Comcast has down rezzed some HD channels to 720p after the implementation of MPEG-4 AND for some of you hoping for 4K/HDR channels? Comcast only has one On Demand channel planned for 4K which wont be adding until sometime next year. It was like what they did with 3D I guess. As for the channels being down rezzed to 720p like I said before I cant tell the difference but that may be due to I have my X1 DVR set to 1080p/60 I dont know. But why they down rezzed channels they didnt give much of an explanation as to why they did it so it leaves me scratching my head honestly because even though I work there I dont like the move at all and it makes no sense. They least could have done is to let customers know they were going to do that but maybe they thought it wouldnt be that much of a big deal or thought maybe customers wouldnt notice I dont know. For me personally its not that big of a deal since my tv and my new Sony STR-DH770 AVR does all the video processing and the HD channels look pretty darn good if you ask me. But I understand some of you are upset and I dont blame you's one bit. Comcast should have let people know but hell alot of us that work there are in the dark about something's as well and only find out when people say something!!! Frusterating as hell I will say that!!!
post #3226 of 3232 Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
If you read that Tivo thread linked above, Comcast is doing this in all markets as they migrate to MPEG4. They claim it's because tablets/phones don't have good deinterlacers and can't handle 1080i. If that were true, you'd think they'd just up-rez to 1080p if it were really about customer experience.

The real reason is to save bandwidth, of course. They can fit 10 channels where they could only fit 8-9 before. Here's a good explanation from that Tivo thread:
Quote:
When they use h.264 compression they can get about 8-9 HD channels into one QAM (6MHz space with about 38Mbps payload capacity). If these 8 or so HD channels are 1080i, then converting them to 720p first will allow one extra 720p HD channel per QAM (6MHz). Therefore an 850MHz cable plant could (theoretically for this calculation, not including whatever they decide to use for Internet, etc.) could use about 140 QAM channels, each having 9 720p HD channels/QAM for a total of 1260 HD channels, as opposed to only 8 1080i HD channels/QAM for a total of 1120 HD channels. That's a difference of 140 HD channels, not only one per 90 as you're trying to say.
It's completely the wrong direction to go when you can get streaming at 4k these days.

Personally, I'd rather have fewer channels at higher quality, but what do I know - I'm just a customer...
JBaumgart and steve1971 like this.

Last edited by NNate; Yesterday at 07:27 AM.
post #3227 of 3232 Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM

I guess I am just disappointed and frustrated regarding the down rez of channels. It is like, why even own a 1080i TV? Might as well just have bought a 720p set.

I was over at my daughter's house and was watching her DirecTV HD picture on her 58" HDTV and the DirecTV HD picture with 1080i channels was impressive!

I have heard others say the DirecTV HD picture beats Comcast in quality and now I am starting to believe it.
post #3228 of 3232 Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNate View Post
....Personally, I'd rather have fewer channels at higher quality, but what do I know - I'm just a customer...
Exactly!! 1260 channels of mostly crap, I'd be happy with 50 I'd actually care to watch but maybe thats just me.
I really think Comcast figured most people wouldn't notice, and for the most part they are probably right, it's just for those with a setup that enables them to see the difference that may be looking for other sources of TV and for those DirecTV may be an option
post #3229 of 3232 Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

Quote:
To know if the channel is in MPEG 2 or MPEG 4, I also have a TiVo Series 3 that is not compatible with MPEG 4, only MPEG 2. If I tune in a channel that is in MPEG 2, it displays the channel fine, but if I tune in a channel that is now in MPEG4, I just get a blank screen with no video or audio.
Thanks for that info John. It's horrible customer service to not give Tivo users like yourself any kind of warning that this change was coming.

Quote:
From what I've been able to determine the new Comcast X1 boxes don't provide the same level of detailed information that their older boxes did.
I believe you're correct about the X1 from what I've read. I have a older Motorola DCX3400 DVR which I'm able to set the HDMI output to Native to check the true resolution.

Interestingly On Demand still shows 1080i for the former 1080i now 720p channels. Not that I'm a fan of most On Demand picture quality. It's always looked overly compressed to me plus it's not in surround sound.
post #3230 of 3232 Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM

Ray, actually, TiVo did let me know way back about the Series 3 TiVo not being able to handle MPEG4 and gave me options. Comcast also sent me several letters warning me to upgrade my equipment. Since I use my TiVo Series 4 on my HDTV, I am fine using the TiVo Series 3 on my SD TV. I had been doing this for some time even though I could still tune in the HD 1080i channels. I just had the TiVo down convert them to 480i for this SD TV. With the 1080i channels gone, I simple now tune in the SD channel lineup. I really like the Series 3 dual tuners and it is a perfect match for my SD channels on the this older TV.
post #3231 of 3232 Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM

My apologies then to Comcast at least for Tivo users. I'm sure they assumed the majority of their user base will neither notice or care and sadly they're probably right.
steve1971 likes this.

Last edited by Ray'; Yesterday at 04:25 PM.
post #3232 of 3232 Old Today, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Ray, actually, TiVo did let me know way back about the Series 3 TiVo not being able to handle MPEG4 and gave me options. Comcast also sent me several letters warning me to upgrade my equipment.
Even though I don't have my Series 3 on cable (my Roamio is) I got the same letters and e-mails from Comcast. Luckily my Series 3 (the Tivo HD) they did a software upgrade that WILL allow it to tune MPEG4 if I ever decided to put the cable card back in it. The older Series 3 (the OLED ones with the cool display) wont allow that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page