Minneapolis, MN - Comcast - Page 110 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 61Likes

post #3271 of 3285 Old 05-29-2017, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray' View Post
I just took a look at my new bill today. I see no indication that the Broadcast TV fee is going from $4.50 to $7.00 nor that the Regional Sports Fee is going from $3.00 to $5.00 on June 1st as was reported in post #3263 back in March. That poster had said before that he lived in a building where he was getting a multi-tenant discount and I see the Bulk Tenant rates increased quite a bit so that must be what he was referring to.

The only change I see for me is that my grandfathered Performance Internet is going up $4.50 from $56.95 to $61.45 as of June 1st. I expected that as I got a free speed upgrade back in March from 50 Mbps to 70 Mbps.
I saw no mention of the increase in my May bill that mentioned the other increases. I'm betting since they already "told" us back in March, they aren't telling us again. So, most people who have TV and Internet will see price increases of over $10 a month.

We need more competition in this space. I get that delivering this service isn't cheap, but to see increases on the internet side of almost 10%, and to have the "base" internet package cost $64 (if you own your modem) seems a bit much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 3285 Old 05-29-2017, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnxmfan View Post
We need more competition in this space.
Agreed. The cost to the consumer has been growing much faster than the rate of inflation, and this cannot continue indefinitely. More competition is sorely needed.

Vizio M80-C3
Denon AVR-X7200WA
Odyssey HT-3 Plus
Infinity Prelude MTS
HSU ULS-15 MK2 DualDrive
Oppo BDP-83
post #3273 of 3285 Old 06-27-2017, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We just got the Comcast bill--both fees were increased, as posted.

post #3274 of 3285 Old 06-28-2017, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeg2223 View Post
We just got the Comcast bill--both fees were increased, as posted.

I'll admit when I'm wrong. I just got my new bill today and indeed the Broadcast TV fee increased from $4.50 to $7.00 and the Regional Sports fee increased from $3.00 to $5.00 along with my expected internet increase.

This blurb was in my bill. "FEE UPDATE: We wanted to remind you that, effective with this bill,
your monthly Broadcast TV Fee has increased from $4.50 to $7.00,
and your monthly Regional Sports Network Fee has increased from $3.00 to $5.00."

I scrutinize my bill every month and they must have hidden that well in a previous bill. Sad really.
post #3275 of 3285 Old 06-28-2017, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray' View Post
I scrutinize my bill every month and they must have hidden that well in a previous bill. Sad really.
it was back in February
Minneapolis, MN - Comcast
post #3276 of 3285 Old 07-03-2017, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oddball request for Comcast subs

I noticed that WUMN 17 (Univision) is off the air right now (no signal OTA for 2 days). Comcast uses WUMN instead of the national feed for channel 99 and I think they pick it up OTA

What is showing on channel 99? (Univision, blank screen, other)??
post #3277 of 3285 Old 07-03-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
Oddball request for Comcast subs

I noticed that WUMN 17 (Univision) is off the air right now (no signal OTA for 2 days). Comcast uses WUMN instead of the national feed for channel 99 and I think they pick it up OTA

What is showing on channel 99? (Univision, blank screen, other)??
99 is still airing Univision, although I didn't notice any local "legal ID" at the top of the hour just now, so it's possible that they reverted to a national feed.
post #3278 of 3285 Old 07-03-2017, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the confirmation
post #3279 of 3285 Old 08-23-2017, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Just a head's up. Comcast has added YouTube to their app lineup and they will be coming out with wireless set top boxes in some areas by the end of Sept. A 4K settop box will follow sometime next year. This is just for those interested.
post #3280 of 3285 Old 08-23-2017, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Just a head's up. Comcast has added YouTube to their app lineup and they will be coming out with wireless set top boxes in some areas by the end of Sept. A 4K settop box will follow sometime next year. This is just for those interested.
4K boxes, when they can't even get 720p to look barely above 480p. LoL.
post #3281 of 3285 Old 08-23-2017, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34dl1n3r View Post
Too early to dismiss a greatly improved picture, and too early to get too excited. But I see this as very good news and hope it becomes reality. Comcast needs it to stay competitive with all the other compelling choices out there now.
steve1971 likes this.

Vizio M80-C3
Denon AVR-X7200WA
Odyssey HT-3 Plus
Infinity Prelude MTS
HSU ULS-15 MK2 DualDrive
Oppo BDP-83
post #3282 of 3285 Old 08-23-2017, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaumgart View Post
Too early to dismiss a greatly improved picture, and too early to get too excited. But I see this as very good news and hope it becomes reality. Comcast needs it to stay competitive with all the other compelling choices out there now.
I agree JB. The 4K boxes would have been out already but they are going through beta testing and making sure everything is working right before release. As for d34dl1n3r's comment's? You cant make everyone happy and he should look into Directv and Dish Network and see if they are broadcasting really good HD feed's of their channel's because they are not even though they "claim" they do! Comcast isnt perfect but I would take them anyday over Directv or Dish. We had Directv for 5 months and scrapped it because it was horrible as well as their customer service.
post #3283 of 3285 Old 08-23-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34dl1n3r View Post

Well there's always Directv or Dish for you to choose from. And good luck with that.
post #3284 of 3285 Old 09-03-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Well there's always Directv or Dish for you to choose from. And good luck with that.
All do respect, that's a crap answer, and I hope you do not now, nor ever will you, work in a position at Comcast that relates to video quality.

First of all, if being "better than the worst" is the only bar to clear, then wow.

But second, there are so many services to choose from now. Centurylink and IPTV offerings like Sling, Youtube, PSVue, Etc. are here, and more will come I'm sure. And if Netflix looks noticeably better than USA, HBO, etc. well you see where this is headed. (I already get my HBO directly from HBO Now because of Comcast's poor picture quality, and yes, it's noticeable especially on action scenes.

If you do work for Comcast engineering, all I have to say is "Good luck with that, Comcast"
post #3285 of 3285 Old 09-03-2017, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnxmfan View Post
All do respect, that's a crap answer, and I hope you do not now, nor ever will you, work in a position at Comcast that relates to video quality.

First of all, if being "better than the worst" is the only bar to clear, then wow.

But second, there are so many services to choose from now. Centurylink and IPTV offerings like Sling, Youtube, PSVue, Etc. are here, and more will come I'm sure. And if Netflix looks noticeably better than USA, HBO, etc. well you see where this is headed. (I already get my HBO directly from HBO Now because of Comcast's poor picture quality, and yes, it's noticeable especially on action scenes.

If you do work for Comcast engineering, all I have to say is "Good luck with that, Comcast"
A couple of weird glitches happened to me in the last week:

1. On my main (Comcast X1) TV display, an 80" Vizeo connected to rather elaborate sound system, I suddenly experienced approximately the right third of the picture being cut off from view. It was occurring on all channels, so my first thought was that my 2 year-old (expensive!) TV was going. However, to eliminate the TV (and receiver) as the source of the problem, I decided to try rebooting the X1 box. I was HAPPY that this resolved the issue...after a reboot everything was back to normal. But what could have caused this major picture malfunction?

2. Then, all of sudden a few days later, on our Samsung bedroom TV (also connected to an audio system), the audio coming out of the center and main speakers was noticeably distorted. Once again, as a first try, I tried unplugging the power cord from the Comcast cable box, which thankfully this returned the audio back to normal. So once again, rebooting the box resolved the problem, but this was audio instead of video.

So with both, nothing major, but each time the malfunction interrupted TV shows 'in progress' and caused unneeded angst, as I feared that other (expensive) components might need to be repaired or replaced. Again, after rebooting each Comcast box, everything was fine, but still a PITA. Hopefully, neither glitch will repeat itself anytime soon.

Vizio M80-C3
Denon AVR-X7200WA
Odyssey HT-3 Plus
Infinity Prelude MTS
HSU ULS-15 MK2 DualDrive
Oppo BDP-83
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page