Old 08-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Syzygy
I just dropped Comcast in favor of DirecTV (with TiVo), so I'll be getting KSTP-DT in high def over-the-air. Join me, won'tcha?

What are you paying for your DirectTv service? Does it come with TiVo and is it HD capable? I had DirecTv before and I lost signal during heavy rain and snow and it was pain in the butt to get any kind of service from them without shelling out money.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I was paying $92.19 per month for cable (with HD, HBO and Starz!).
I'm now paying $53.05 per month for DirecTV (with HD, HBO and TiVo);
this will rise to about $74 after 6 months.

The breakdown:
$26.99 -- Total Choice ($36.99 after 6 months)
$04.99 -- Additional receiver [I initially forgot this item]
$04.99 -- TiVo Service (one charge for all TiVos)
$00.00 -- HD Package ($10.99 after 6 months)
$12.00 -- HBO HDTV plus HBO's 8 SD channels (which I don't watch)
--------
$48.97 -- $69.96 after 6 months -- plus about $4 sales tax

Without HBO (which I may drop because its HD isn't very sharp):
$36.97 -- $57.96 after 6 months

[The above portion was corrected on 17 Aug 2004]

The HD Package is ESPN HD, Discovery HD Theater, HDNet and HDNet Movies.

The up-front cost (from *********************):
$899.99 -- HD-DTiVo (DirecTV HR10-250)
$039.99 -- SD-DTiVo (RCA DVR40)
$089.99 -- Winegard SquareShooter OTA antenna
$044.65 -- shipping
$050.00 -- OTA antenna installation
------------
$1124.62

About DirecTV's support:

After I discovered that local channel 29, WFTC-DT, was not coming in -- while channel "21-1" was -- so that there was no TiVo guide data for the station and no possibility of using TiVo's searching or season-pass features on its programs, I called HD TiVo Support, (800) 695-9251.

A supervisor in Alabama did two things for me: (1) He "escalated" the issue so that someone would contact WFTC and get them to install the PSIP equipment that they have sitting around. (2) At my suggestion that DTV could give me free locals to fill the gap between now and when WFTC gets their act together, he offered free locals for one month. I asked, how about 6 months, just as the HD package is currently free for 6 months. He agreed, reminding me that it would start costing $3 per month after the first 6 months.

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package
Frank  TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
Old 08-16-2004, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I've got Comcast's total package or whatever they call it that includes cable, phone and internet. The basic charge is $100 a month, plus I think $10 for one HD Motorola box. On my main TV there is a built in tuner so I just have standard cable plus an indoor antenna which pulls in all of the local digital stations. When I first connected it I was surprised to see all of the public TV variants - including the HD channel, weather and kids stations I think there are 6 of them.

Anyway I think the only reason that I would switch to Dish or DTV would be to improve the picture quality of SD programming. I have 5 TV's connected now so the equipment cost would be pretty high. I would end up paying more monthly charges too as I would have to buy the cable internet and phone separately again. Right now I'm going to hold pat, but I would be interested, Frank, in your comments about your SD picture via DTV vs. what you were getting from Comcast.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Markito
Mine still hasn't been updated. :-(

Try unplugging it for 20-30 seconds and then plug it back in.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I'll try it.

~Markito
Old 08-17-2004, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone see the NFL Network Channel(s) yet?
Old 08-17-2004, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JBaumgart
I've got Comcast's total package or whatever they call it that includes cable, phone and internet. The basic charge is $100 a month, plus I think $10 for one HD Motorola box. On my main TV there is a built in tuner so I just have standard cable plus an indoor antenna which pulls in all of the local digital stations. When I first connected it I was surprised to see all of the public TV variants - including the HD channel, weather and kids stations I think there are 6 of them.

Anyway I think the only reason that I would switch to Dish or DTV would be to improve the picture quality of SD programming. I have 5 TV's connected now so the equipment cost would be pretty high. I would end up paying more monthly charges too as I would have to buy the cable internet and phone separately again. Right now I'm going to hold pat, but I would be interested, Frank, in your comments about your SD picture via DTV vs. what you were getting from Comcast.

I have the total package (take 3 is what I think they call it) from ComLast also but the Cable/Internet are $99/month and then I get a separate bill for digital phone service of approx. $30. Is your phone service included on the same $100 invoice? Comcast told me they could not consolidate those 2 invoices...are all 3 services on one invoice?
Old 08-17-2004, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

They told me the same thing. I was even quite overdue paying my phone bill, because I assumed it was covered in my other Comcast invoice.

~Markito
Old 08-17-2004, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Originally posted by blitzen102
Does anyone see the NFL Network Channel(s) yet?

Any word on whether this will be, as rumored, in the "digital extra" tier? If so, I'll be passing (no pun intended) .

Old 08-17-2004, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tall1
I have the total package (take 3 is what I think they call it) from ComLast also but the Cable/Internet are $99/month and then I get a separate bill for digital phone service of approx. $30. Is your phone service included on the same $100 invoice? Comcast told me they could not consolidate those 2 invoices...are all 3 services on one invoice?

Right, they cannot include the phone bill with the cable and internet invoice. Looking at my last bill the phone was $34.61 and the other two including digital (expanded) cable, one HD box, "Cable Guard Wiring Plan" and taxes came to $93.13 - total of $127.74 for all three. Of this amount, $16.80 is for various taxes and fees which leaves $110.94 that goes to Comcast. This is pretty close to the $99 "Take 3" package price plus the extra $10/month for digital cable w/HD box.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Question - any word as to how many of the Vikings games this season might be in HD? With my OTA antenna on our main TV I'd be able to pick up any HD broadcast feed to the local channel.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah how many Vikings games will be on Comcast HDTV channels?

~Markito
Old 08-18-2004, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Question - any word as to how many of the Vikings games this season might be in HD? With my OTA antenna on our main TV I'd be able to pick up any HD broadcast feed to the local channel.

The first 5 will be in HD.

Per this link

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=189249

Fox will do the Week 1, Week 3, and Week 5 Vikings games in HD.

ABC (MNF) does Week 2.

Week 4 is a "bye" for the purple.

Week 6 is on ESPN-HD.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:06 AM

Quote:

Mine still hasn't been updated. :-(

My firmware hasn't been updated yet either.

Does anyone know the status of the roll-out plans for the dual-tuner DVR boxes (I assume it'll be the 6408s)? They had said they would be available this fall.

Also, is everyone having as much trouble with NBC-HD as I am? Every time I tune in, it takes about 15-20 seconds for the box to be able to decode the signal. It gets pixelized and freezes, jumping from one scene to the next.

PS - If I see that Sony Wega commercial one more time, I think I'm going to puke. What the heck is NBC doing?!
Old 08-18-2004, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I unplugged my box, waited and plugged it back in and still no update.

cielo, I agree, I can't wait until the 6408s come out. I spoke to a Comcast HD guy the other day and he said that it is still in internal Beta testing phase.

Almost all my channels do the pixelization thing for a few long painful seconds when I change the channels. I've read that the firmware update helps this, but we wouldn't know, would we.

And yes, what is with that Sony ad?!?!?! You're right, it's on every single commercial break! I think it will work against them. Arggggg! Get rid of it!

~Markito
Old 08-18-2004, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cielo
My firmware hasn't been updated yet either.

Does anyone know the status of the roll-out plans for the dual-tuner DVR boxes (I assume it'll be the 6408s)? They had said they would be available this fall.

Also, is everyone having as much trouble with NBC-HD as I am? Every time I tune in, it takes about 15-20 seconds for the box to be able to decode the signal. It gets pixelized and freezes, jumping from one scene to the next.

PS - If I see that Sony Wega commercial one more time, I think I'm going to puke. What the heck is NBC doing?!

Mine hasn't been updated either. I rented a 6200 in addition to the 6208 to appease my wife. I was recording stuff when she wanted to watch a Lifetime movie (plots are all the same, wife kills husband or is plotting to kill him..I sleep with one eye open since Lifetime movies).

When you get the pixelation stuff, quickly hit pause and then play and the channel tunes right in. I have had to learn so many freakin workarounds for these moto boxes. I am sure I am going to have to learn several new ones when the 6412 boxes are released.

I hit record on the NBC-HD oh-limp-ic loop and after about an hour I start to play it back and hit skip (another 6208 hack) on the remote when the wega commercial comes on. Notice that Dream Machine HTIB audio setup in the commercial? Amazing someone would drop the kinda ching on a grand wega and use a dream machine for audio.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Cable Guard Wiring Plan"

What is this? An optional protection plan for your wiring if it gets damaged?

My bill is about the same as your's. You had me going when you said you got all 3 for $100. I did the same analysis as you did when comparing DirectTV to Comcast. I almost pulled the trigger and bought a HD-Tivo but the 6208 became available the same week I placed my order. I cancelled and have not looked back. I am sure the HD-Tivo is amazing and life altering but I would never have the time to watch all the crap it would record. Plus, I rarely watch anything in SD anymore....unless it is the vikes on good ol' analog channel 5.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They told me the same thing. I was even quite overdue paying my phone bill, because I assumed it was covered in my other Comcast invoice.

I did the same thing...past due. I pay all my bills electronically, I open mail about once every 6 weeks.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:03 PM

Quote:

I did the same thing...past due. I pay all my bills electronically, I open mail about once every 6 weeks.

The same thing happened to me when I first switched to Comcast for phone service. They seemed surprised that I didn't realize it wouldn't be auto-paid along with my tv/internet bill. I bet they're not surprised by this problem anymore, given how many others have apparently made the same mistake. Now I'm back with Qwest for phone service since they lowered their prices below Comcast.

Tall1, thanks for the tip on the pixelization problem. I'll try it out. It happens with lots of channels, but NBC-HD takes FOREVER to recover. If the new firmware reduces this problem, I will be very happy.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cielo
The same thing happened to me when I first switched to Comcast for phone service. They seemed surprised that I didn't realize it wouldn't be auto-paid along with my tv/internet bill. I bet they're not surprised by this problem anymore, given how many others have apparently made the same mistake. Now I'm back with Qwest for phone service since they lowered their prices below Comcast.

Tall1, thanks for the tip on the pixelization problem. I'll try it out. It happens with lots of channels, but NBC-HD takes FOREVER to recover. If the new firmware reduces this problem, I will be very happy.

I ddin't know qwest lowered their pricing for local phone service. So do you pay ala carte now for internet and cable? Or do they have a Take 2 plan?

The pause/play thing works just fine but it still bugs me I have to do it. I get so irratated with this stuff. I have a JVC 40K that I use to archive movies but it has some goofy firewire problems (more workarounds) that are fixed in 7.15. I am considering using DVI once the upgrade is done...I didn't even attempt it after I read all the problems with the HDCP handshake. I am still at 7.10.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:28 PM

You still get the Comcast discount ($15/mo) off internet service if you have cable tv service, so there wasn't any drawback to switching our phone service back to Qwest. I think Qwest offers a $5/mo discount off their DSL service when you also have their local phone service, but we decided to stay with Comcast for now.

Yes, the pause/play trick works on my box too. It's annoying to have to do it, but at least it works. Thanks!

I had to call Comcast today about a technical problem, so I asked them about the new DVR boxes. The CSR knew that they are coming in the near future, but unsurprisingly, he had no idea of a launch date, or even whether it will be the 6408 or the 6412 (keep your fingers crossed for the 6412, which has a 120GB hard drive). He also had no idea about a launch date for the NFL channel and no new information on ABC-HD or PBS-HD. Always the same story.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for checking c.

~Markito
Old 08-18-2004, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is this? An optional protection plan for your wiring if it gets damaged?

It's an in-home warranty-type plan that covers you if modifications are necessary or if any problems arise with your wiring. It would seem to be a waste of money but for me it's more than paid for itself. For example, when I first got my big screen, I was happy with the picture, and they came out 3 or 4 times trying to improve it, trying various things. They finally ran a separate line to it from the box outside and I think it's as good as it's going to get. I also had them out to run a very difficult connection to a small LCD that we have on the center island in the kitchen - it was really tough getting the wire up in there from the basement, through rafters and up through the floor within the center island, but between the two of us we finally succeeded. Before that we just had rabbit ears on an older small set and having full cable on a thin screen that takes up almost zero room is a big plus. Anyway depending on how picky you are and how often you reconfigure things, this plan can be well worth it.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's an in-home warranty-type plan that covers you if modifications are necessary or if any problems arise with your wiring.

Interesting stuff...I have never had a Comcast CSR try and upsell me on this deal. They need sales training from the BB and CC folks. I just assumed the Comcast installers do this type of wiring. My wife gets these guys to practically stand on their heads when they have made service calls. Lot's of complimentary rewiring on existing stuff but maybe not on new installs like you described.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting stuff...I have never had a Comcast CSR try and upsell me on this deal. They need sales training from the BB and CC folks. I just assumed the Comcast installers do this type of wiring. My wife gets these guys to practically stand on their heads when they have made service calls. Lot's of complimentary rewiring on existing stuff but maybe not on new installs like you described.

Yeah, on several occasions when one of their guys was finishing up they noted that I have the plan so there would be no charge...I honestly don't know how much ahead I am because of it, but my intuition tells me it's quite a bit. Now that I think I'm all set for quite a while I'm thinking I'll drop it and save the $4 a month.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

JBaumgart said:
I would be interested, Frank, in your comments about your SD picture via DTV vs. what you were getting from Comcast.

Bear in mind that DTV is connected to my Sammy DLP through the DVI port, while Comcast had to use the component connections. There's good news and not-so-good news:

First, DTV's SD channels are all much sharper (relatively speaking), with better colors and higher contrast than the same channels from Comcast. I'm sure they'd be superior even if I was using the component connections.

However, I'm so spoiled by the PQ of HDNet and Discovery HD Theater (as well as the local channels) that I don't watch SD if I can help it. For example, I was addicted to both Stargate series on SciFi, but after about a week of DTV's HD, I cancelled my Season Passes to both of them. I'll see those shows in all their glory if and when they're delivered in HD.

I do still watch timely SD shows such as The Daily Show. Like the other channels, The Comedy Channel is much more satisfying to watch now that I'm getting it from DTV (via DVI).

Frank  TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
Old 08-20-2004, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

JBaumgart said, wrt "Cable Guard Wiring Plan":
...they came out 3 or 4 times trying to improve it, trying various things. They finally ran a separate line to it from the box outside and I think it's as good as it's going to get.

I think they would've done that part of the wiring change for nothing, without the plan. They buried my cable for nothing when I put in a swimming pool, and ten years later they replaced that buried cable because some channels weren't coming in very well. (That did help a little, but KSTP channel 5 remained extremely fuzzy and low-contrast, and they never fixed that. In fact, some Comcast employees said it was because the feed from KSTP was using a low-grade line -- while others strongly denied that possibility. I'm guessing there was a standoff between the two companies about who would pay for an upgrade -- just as there is now WRT KSTP's digital feed. And in both cases, Comcast has issued an omerta edict to its employees.)

Old 08-20-2004, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I have never had them charge me for any additional wiring either. Although my wife is usually the one who is here to let them in and she can be pretty demanding. Although it helps when she wears her bikini, like she did last time they were out (she has a trophy wife bod). That may have helped