AVS Forum banner

Minneapolis, MN - Comcast

415K views 3K replies 272 participants last post by  JBaumgart 
#1 ·
All -

I figured I'd jump in and start a thread since I didn't see anything. It looks like Comcast is getting ready to roll out HDTV in the area. I called and all they could do is put me on a notification list... no channel list or pricing yet. Anyone have further info?

I'm curious as to how quick this will go down because I just purchased an OTA receiver. If I can get most of the programming with Comcast and don't need the antenna and extra STB I may take it back.

For those of you from other regions, how quick did Comcast roll out HDTV after the "coming soon" advertising appeared?

So let's hear it!

Cheers!

Brad

#27 ·
Comcast Launches HDTV Service in Twin Cities & Western Wisconsin

More Than 630,000 Homes Now Have Access to High-Definition Television Programming

ST. PAUL, Minn. (Sept. 4, 2003) Comcast, the nation's leading cable and broadband communications provider, today announced the launch of its high-definition television (HDTV) service to more than 630,000 homes in the Greater Twin Cities and Western Wisconsin area. HDTV programming is now available from HBO, Showtime, ESPN HD and KARE (NBC). Comcast is also carrying enhanced wide-screen digital programming from KMSP (Fox), and plans to launch two 24-hour HDTV channels, INHD and INHD2, later this month.

HDTV technology provides video and audio that is clearer, sharper and more vibrant than previous video transmission systems. The service is available for customers with an HDTV-ready television set and uses a digital cable box, which can be provided by Comcast. In addition, Comcast is working with leading cable and broadcast programmers to offer the most robust HDTV content lineup possible.

Comcast is committed to bringing our customers more and better choices for in-home entertainment, said Bill Wright, St. Paul Area Vice President. In an increasingly competitive environment, we've completed a multimillion dollar upgrade of our fiber-optic cable network to provide customers with a strong lineup of cutting-edge products, including Comcast Digital Cable, Comcast High-Speed Internet, Comcast Digital Phone and now HDTV. Customers want HDTV, and Comcast makes it easy and cost effective while providing a very rich HDTV content offering.

In addition to HDTV, customers who subscribe to Comcast Digital Cable can receive more than 260 channels, including dozens of commercial-free premium movie channels, 45 channels of commercial-free music, an interactive on-screen guide and more.

For more information about Comcast's products and services in the Twin Cities, please call 651-222-3333 or visit the company's Web site at www.comcast.com.

About Comcast Cable

Headquartered in Philadelphia, Comcast Cable is a division of Comcast Corporation, a developer, manager and operator of broadband cable networks and provider of programming content. Operating in 17 of the United States' 20 largest metropolitan areas, Comcast is one of the leading communications, media and entertainment companies in the world. Providing basic cable, digital cable, high-speed Internet and telephone services, Comcast is the company to look to first for the communications products and services that connect people to what's important in their lives. The company's 55,000 employees, in six divisions, serve more than 21 million customers.

Comcast Cable serves more than 337,000 customers in 87 communities in the Twin Cities and Western Wisconsin. Comcast, whose local headquarters offices are located in St. Paul, employs more than 1,200 people in the Twin Cities metropolitan area.

Product Summary Sheet

High-Definition TV St. Paul Area

September 2003

Programming

Comcast is introducing HDTV in the Twin Cities / Western Wisconsin with a mix of local broadcast and premium cable network high-definition content. We continue to explore additional HDTV programming opportunities and plan to be in a position to provide additional programming in the future.

· Broadcast Stations - Primary high-definition broadcast signals:

¨ NBC affiliate KARE-11 (1080p)

¨ Fox affiliate KMSP-9 (480p)

+enhanced-definition digital simulcast of KMSP's analog signal (480i)

· Basic / Digital Service Tiers - HD cable service channels (must receive service tier):

¨ ESPN HD - Standard Cable Tier (720p)

¨ INDEMAND1 - Digital Basic Tier (1080i)

¨ INDEMAND2 - Digital Basic Tier (1080i)

· Premium Channels: HD premium channels (must receive digital premium channels):

¨ HBO (1080i)

¨ Showtime (1080i)

Availability

Comcast HDTV programming is now available to more than 630,000 homes in the Greater Twin Cities and Western Wisconsin area.

Equipment

· Motorola DCT-5100 set-top

¨ video: component video output

¨ audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 via optic or coax connection

Pricing

High-definition TV is the next great example of the services we can deliver on the Comcast Digital Cable platform. Customers pay only a monthly HDTV equipment charge of $5 per month (per set-top) with no additional monthly charge for HDTV programming (ESPN HD, iDEMAND, HBO and Showtime HDTV channels are available only to customers who receive those services).

#29 ·
The cables used for installation are quality, high-density cables. Five condutors (R,B,Y and audio left and right). You will need your own cables for digital or optical connection to your home theater/stereo.

If you need any additional connections (like a second analog audio output), you'll need cables for that, and splitters, since there is only one set of audio output jacks. The box also has a composite video out, but you should not need that.

Box effortlessly switches between HD content and 480i content. Box comes set for 1080i output. Tech can show you how to access box menu and setup features.

In terms of quality of signal, I get virtually the same picture (HD) on Motorolla DCT5100 as I do my Samsung T-150 (OTA). Currently, Comcast has only NBC, ESPN-HD, SHO/HBO-HD, and Fox EDTV. Yesterday started getting INHD-1 preview channel, and notice that service starts for INHD on 9/15.

#30 ·
My comcast HDTV gets connected tomorrow (Wednesday 9/10) morning. I can't wait! I'll let you all know how it goes.

By the way, any of you Twin Citians have a Panasonic PT-L300U front projector? Just wondering if I need to know any special settings or anything for HDTV.

#32 ·
I had my install on Monday. They did supply component cables that look good, but not audio. In my case the component cable that they supplied was bad so I replaced it to get HD cable working. Depending on your installer be ready to do much of the work yourself. My installer was clueless on HDTV. He left it working with S-Video only.

#33 ·
DaveMN,

He arrived at 10am this morning. He was a very nice guy, but this was his first HD install and he was quite nervous. Plus I think he was rather intimidated by my 12-foot diagonal projector screen and receiver. He admitted that he and the other installers were brand new to HDTV and really were very clueless about the whole thing.

He came and installed the Motorola 5100 box... o.k., I installed it. Plugging the stuff in was easy, now I just have to check signal output on the 5100 and change it to the ideal setting for my Panny PT-L300U front projector.

He came with the Moto 5100 cable box and two generic looking (off-white) component cables (one long, one short). I needed the short one, so that's what we used. I asked him if he could leave the long one too, he called into his office and they said no, so I said no biggie. For audio the component cable actually has a set of red and white composite audio cables attached to it, but since the 5100 has an optical audio out, I used one of my Toslink cables to connect audio to my receiver.

HBOHD looked great. Most of the other of the handful of HD channels were running non-HD content at the time, so I couldn't enjoy them at the time. But it was nice to compare the clarity of HBOHD with the less crisp standard channels.

The installer seemed relieved that I did the install and that all went well. He said that he had several more HD installs today and was worried that it wouldn't go as smoothly. His buddy/co-installer on the other end of his cell phone was having troubles at some other location. He was a very nice fella and I felt sorry for him that he didn't get enough training and was just thrown out there.

Anyway, life is good!

Thanks for your interest DaveMN.

#34 ·
Must... wait.... until.... Friday....

Thanks for the info. I just got my Zektor component switcher today. All I need now are a couple of toslink cables, and I should be ready for my installation Friday. One thing I won't have to worry about is the installer being intimidated by my system!

#35 ·
I have a general question about Comcast's HDTV programming, and since I live near the Twin Cities I'll ask it in this thread:

Is the HD version of a channel a different channel (number) from the SD version? For example, KARE-11 has an HD signal and also SD. Are they two different channels, or is it just one, and when it's an HD program (like "The Tonight Show") you'll get the HD signal, and when it's a SD program (like the news) you'll get an SD signal?

My family gets confused enough with all the buttons to press for analog cable, the VCR, and DVD. Having two channel-11's may be too much.

Thanks!

#36 ·
They are indeed different channels.

NBC(SD) is 11 and NBCHD is something like 112.

Incidentally, everybody check out channel 174 it is a visually stunning loop of stuff for INHD (whatever that is). It took my breath away. I think the loop runs 24/7, but it said that from 7-11pm every night they will have a preview of the real programming that is supposed to launch on Sept. 15th.

I just stumbled across the channel and boy am I glad I did. It is perfect for demonstrating how beautiful HDTV can be.

#37 ·
Incidentally, I learned from a Moto 5100 FAQ on the web that the way to get at the service menu to change the output is to...

Turn the 5100 off and then press the menu button on the remote. Then after making changes, just press the menu button again and turn the box back on. Pretty sneaky.

Thought y'all should know.

#39 ·
By the way, I know in most markets there is a PBS HD video loop with beautiful HD images. Does anyone know if we have access to it in Saint Paul (via Comcast)?

#40 ·
I got my HDTV box setup and installed yesterday. The installer was very nice and seemed to understand how to get everything setup. They even supplied a set of component video and analog audio cables of very good quality it appears - Nice!

I ran my component video out into my projector and fed the composite and S-Video out through my receiver into a 27" TV. I figured the S-Video would be better than the composite when watching SD material on the TV, however there is a severe redness to the picture using the S-Video but not when using the composite. Anyone else having this experience or know how to fix it? I would prefer to use the S-Video output, but if it's going to have this red-push to it then the composite will have to do.

Sean

By the way, ESPNHD, HBOHD, and INHD look fabulous. Should I change my box setup to 720p from 1080i when watching ESPNHD? I have it set at 1080i now and it looks great, but I'm wondering if it would be best to manually switch it to 720p when watching ESPNHD. Any suggestions are appreciated.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by berg0449
I had my install on Monday. They did supply component cables that look good, but not audio. In my case the component cable that they supplied was bad so I replaced it to get HD cable working. Depending on your installer be ready to do much of the work yourself. My installer was clueless on HDTV. He left it working with S-Video only.

Unfortunately it happens down here in Florida also. I work for a local A/V company and the local cable service calls us on the customers phone (if we sold them the Tv) to find out where to hook up their component cables. Its good that we can work with them instead of fight with them.

#42 ·
In case it hasn't been listed lately, here is the current local Comcast HD channel line up...

112 KARE (NBC)

114 KMSP (FOX)

173 ESPN

174 INHD (Not officially listed by Comcast. Beautiful loop of HD vid. clips until it launches on Sept. 15th)

551 (HBO)

576 (SHO)

If you know of any others, please add to the list. Oh, and I am still wondering if there is a pbsHD channel anywhere.

#43 ·
Oh, and by the way, I still get a 2-3 inch band of black across the top and bottom of my 16:9 screen while watching HDTV via Comcast. I heard that this is to be expected. Does everyone else have that too?

#44 ·
Huh? Do you have links to discussions on the black bars? Is this a limitation because of the aspect ratio of the source material, or is this Comcast altering the aspect ratio?

Why does everything HDTV-related have to be 2 steps forward and one step back?

#46 ·
I got my Comcast installed last night. The installer actually seemed to know what he was doing. I asked him if he had done many HD installs and he said he hadn't. Turns out he was a repair tech that was called in to do installs because of all the HD business. Activation of the 5100 took a call into the office and a trip through the service menu but all of a sudden it blinked on and worked.

He brought a long component cable that looked of good quality - I asked him if I could have it even though I was using my own, he said sure. The optical out was plugged so I used the digital coax and it seems to work fine. Picture looks great on the HD channels. I didn't have a chance to compare Leno to my OTA T151 but I will tonight. HBO had a couple movies on last night that looked great and the INHD loop was also impressive. I just hope Comcast gets the rest of the locals and HDNET soon, I would like to ebay my Samsung 151.

#47 ·
klaus,

Re you sure that the optical out is plugged on your 5100? I think it is just the hinged doggy door on it. Just push in on it. My optical out works beautifully.

I stayed up until 3am last night because I couldn't tear myself away from my new HDTV signal.

I watched Leno and was amazed by the crisp, clarity and rich colors. I won't say that it looked almost 3D, but it did have great depth to it. And this was all on my 12-foot diagonal projector screen, so you know it is clear and crisp if it can be beamed 15 feet across a room and stretched that much and still look to die for.

Then I watched a few movies on HBOHD.

ESPNHD's aspect ratio looked stretched, so I think I may have to change the "override" output setting to 720.

Man I love having HDTV.

#48 ·
Yeah it's possible that the optical is just plugged I didn't try it. My receiver recommends digital coax over optical so I am going to stay with that for now.

I asked about the DVI port being active but the installer said he didn't know. I have a digital projector here at work that I bring home sometimes - would love to try it with HD.

I am planning on watching some HBO movies tonight. ESPN-HD is definately stetched and I can't override it with my TV - annoying. Is this how ESPN-HD shows all their upconverted events??? I will have to figure something out because the quality is still better then regular ESPN.

#51 ·
I was re-wiring last night and ran out of digital coax cable - ended up using a optical cable I bought for my CD player back when they were like $80. Tried it on the 5100 and just like you mentioned there was a doggie dog and it worked great.

Anyone know if the DVI port works?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.