post #721 of 2921 Old 12-23-2004, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Markito
Interesting.
I too noticed yesterday (Sunday) that WCCO-HD was no longer in my "Favorites" line up. I too had to add it again. I don't know about the other stuff as I didn't look at the time.

Thanks for giving us all a heads up.
Good to see you around these parts again.

Since I had just gotten my HDTV, I actually ended up calling WCCO and talking to an engineer and he told re access the channels again.

He said that he had made some changes and Added program information to the 'Guide' - he did and it works!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2921 Old 12-23-2004, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I am fooling myself but I swear the 6412 SD Analog recordings have recently looked much better. They are now better than my SA Tivo analog channel recordings which is fed off a splitter placed before the 6412.

I use my 6412s exclusively for recording HD and SD Digital but last night just for the heck of it I recorded the Gopher hockey game off FSN channel 52 and it looked pretty good. In an a/b comparison with the SA Tivo the 6412 recording looked better. I do remember how disappointed I was with the 6208 analog so much so I bought a SA Tivo just so I could bypass the 6208 for analog viewing and recording. I didn't pay much attention to the improvement in analog with the 6412 because I was already used to watching analog on my SA Tivo. But just flippling around the analog channels last night with the 6412, they looked pretty good...much better than the 6208 and on a par with the SA Tivo tuner.

Any one else have a similar experience or does the PQ on the 6412 analog channels look the same as the 6208?
post #723 of 2921 Old 12-23-2004, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tall1
I use my 6412s exclusively for recording HD and SD Digital but last night just for the heck of it I recorded the Gopher hockey game off FSN channel 52 and it looked pretty good.

I was at the game a little early last night, and as they were getting ready to do their pre-game stuff I asked the cameraman when they're going to start using HD cameras in their telecasts. His response was that the HD cameras weren't that good yet (???) so it was going to be "a while." I just hope that he doesn't have any influence over their decision and they get it set up before he is expecting them to...hockey in HD really makes watching a lot more entertaining - you can see the puck better and the three dimensional aspect makes it more like being there.

Can't provide any input on the 6412's SD picture quality since I'm still using the 6200 (have two of them).
post #724 of 2921 Old 12-23-2004, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I am pretty sure the analog channels are now digital. I can't stretch the picture anymore on my sammy DLP when I tune to a 2-99 channel. If they are not, they sure look a whole lot better than a couple weeks ago.
post #725 of 2921 Old 12-23-2004, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I also noticed that the signal is better on the lower (supposedly analog) channels.
post #726 of 2921 Old 12-25-2004, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I am pretty sure the analog channels are now digital. I can't stretch the picture anymore on my sammy DLP when I tune to a 2-99 channel. If they are not, they sure look a whole lot better than a couple weeks ago.

Hmmm.... it's possible. Comcast could have added the digital simulcasts of the analogs and changed the STBs to point t to the new digital channels so to us we'd see nothing different as far as the channel line-up goes.

Probably a way to tell is to compare side-by-side an analog-only cable-ready TV picture against a digital STB picture. Any delay (out of synch)between the two would be the tip-off.
post #727 of 2921 Old 12-25-2004, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I just checked and there is a noticable delay between the 26 on my analog-only TV and my digital TV (Comcast 6412 STB). The analog is about a second ahead. It would make sense that the extra time is being used for the digital processing.

[Edit: I suppose the extra time COULD be for the buffering in the DVR too...]

Good catch if you are indeed right, tall1!
post #728 of 2921 Old 12-25-2004, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JBaumgart
[b]I was at the game a little early last night, and as they were getting ready to do their pre-game stuff I asked the cameraman when they're going to start using HD cameras in their telecasts. His response was that the HD cameras weren't that good yet (???) so it was going to be "a while." I just hope that he doesn't have any influence over their decision and they get it set up before he is expecting them to...hockey in HD really makes watching a lot more entertaining - you can see the puck better and the three dimensional aspect makes it more like being there. [b]

The real problem is, it's not just cameras that's needed -- it's a whole HD production truck that is required -- and they are a sparse commodity right now.

There are about 32 full-scale HD trucks in use right now. Unfortunately, none of them are based in the Twin Cities. Until FSN North commits to either buying or getting an exlusive lease deal with an HD truck provider HD content on FSN North will be minimal.

More trucks are coming on-line though - about 3 are added on average per quarter.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=3
post #729 of 2921 Old 12-26-2004, 01:44 PM

Has anyone else noticed that the Audio is all screwed up on TPT HDTV? This is Channel 34 OTA - 2.1

Yesterday there was an echo. Today it has gotten worse!
post #730 of 2921 Old 12-26-2004, 02:35 PM

I noticed it to today. Audio is out of sync and dropping
post #731 of 2921 Old 12-28-2004, 06:06 AM

I leave town (and my computer goes down too---anybody know a good place to fix a laptop's screen?) and all hell breaks loose! Digital simulcasts? Has anybody called Comcast and asked them about this?
If true, it sure will be nice to watch the Woofies in digital...if not HD
post #732 of 2921 Old 12-30-2004, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by blitzen102
The real problem is, it's not just cameras that's needed -- it's a whole HD production truck that is required -- and they are a sparse commodity right now.

There are about 32 full-scale HD trucks in use right now. Unfortunately, none of them are based in the Twin Cities. Until FSN North commits to either buying or getting an exlusive lease deal with an HD truck provider HD content on FSN North will be minimal.

More trucks are coming on-line though - about 3 are added on average per quarter.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=3

Are you saying Comcast has FSN North in HD? I thought only Time Warner has it? (and why would that be, are they sister companies?) I'd be willing to dump my directv when I can get comcast DVR in Lake Elmo instead of having to buy a $1000 TiVo for D*TV, and the occasional Twins game in HD would be an added incentive to switch.
post #733 of 2921 Old 12-30-2004, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by lewie
Are you saying Comcast has FSN North in HD? I thought only Time Warner has it? (and why would that be, are they sister companies?) I'd be willing to dump my directv when I can get comcast DVR in Lake Elmo instead of having to buy a $1000 TiVo for D*TV, and the occasional Twins game in HD would be an added incentive to switch.

Only TWC has FSN North. The thread strayed a bit OT and blitzen was responding to a post about regional sports in HD. If I had D*, this would be a huge deterrent to switching to Comcast...even more so than the DVR issue. I really wish FSN would go fulltime and comcast would pick it up. I have had HD since April and I have never watched nor had the opportunity to watch the twins in HD. The only time I've seen the wolves in HD on comcast was tape delayed on INHD. And nevermind the Wild but they too would be unavailable to me in HD if they ever play again.
post #734 of 2921 Old 12-30-2004, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JonM in MN
I leave town (and my computer goes down too---anybody know a good place to fix a laptop's screen?) and all hell breaks loose! Digital simulcasts? Has anybody called Comcast and asked them about this?
If true, it sure will be nice to watch the Woofies in digital...if not HD

Hi Jon, not sure the 2-99 channels are digital but the PQ has improved a great deal. Don't you think? Who would I call if I wanted to ask them what changed?
post #735 of 2921 Old 12-30-2004, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Comcast carried about 3 or 4 four Wolves games from FSN HD at the very end of last year (just after TWC's ecxcusive carriage agreement expired) - Time Warner did not carrry these games.

FSN North HD is not a full-time channel - I'd call it a special events channel. It's only on for HD games and maybe the pre and post game shows. Most of the time it shows "Not Available" when you tune to it on TWC.
post #736 of 2921 Old 12-30-2004, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Jon, not sure the 2-99 channels are digital but the PQ has improved a great deal. Don't you think? Who would I call if I wanted to ask them what changed?

Channel 96 (Bravo) has always been the worst analog for me. It looks pretty darn good now through my STB.

It's seems to me the analogs in overall look better but there are still a couple that look pretty bad.
post #737 of 2921 Old 12-30-2004, 08:43 PM

You're talking FSN HD only, right? Or does Comcast not offer FSN at all full time? On D* we do get FSN north (and rocky mountain for some reason) and can subscribe to about 25 other FSN's and the like if we wish
post #738 of 2921 Old 12-31-2004, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by lewie
You're talking FSN HD only, right? Or does Comcast not offer FSN at all full time? On D* we do get FSN north (and rocky mountain for some reason) and can subscribe to about 25 other FSN's and the like if we wish

Yes, I'm talking FSN North (Minnesota) HD. Comcast has FSN North SD full-time. Sorry, I've edited that post to make it more clear.
post #739 of 2921 Old 01-03-2005, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just checked and there is a noticable delay between the 26 on my analog-only TV and my digital TV (Comcast 6412 STB). The analog is about a second ahead. It would make sense that the extra time is being used for the digital processing.

[Edit: I suppose the extra time COULD be for the buffering in the DVR too...]

I really believe it is due to the buffering. DVR's have a delay, so that you can control "live" TV.

Good to see everyone out and chatting here! Happy New Year to you all.

~Markito
post #740 of 2921 Old 01-03-2005, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Channel 96 (Bravo) has always been the worst analog for me. It looks pretty darn good now through my STB.

It's seems to me the analogs in overall look better but there are still a couple that look pretty bad.

Channel 96 is the food network, right? I don't know, I never watch it...makes me eat more. I am really curious why the analog PQ suddenly began to look better whether it is digital simulcast or comcast installed an mpeg2 encoder at the headend (I may be talking out my a$$ here) in preparation for digital simulcast? But I haven't read anywhere on avsforums of other folks experiencing improved PQ on analog except here in the twin cities.

My update on OnDemand...I never use it. Screwed around with it for a weekend but I can't find anything on there to watch. I guess if I hadn't subscribed to showtime and hbo for the past few years there would be plenty of new content for me to watch or if I had little kids the programming might be accessed more as an electronic babysitter. But with barely any HD movies, I don't find the OnDemand service valuable right now. Has anyone seen any HD from the NFL network on OnDemand? I thought that might be cool but none so far that I can see.
post #741 of 2921 Old 01-03-2005, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I haven't seen anything worth watching OnDemand either...
post #742 of 2921 Old 01-03-2005, 07:51 AM

Yeah. I've watched a few things on HBO on an analog TV, but they are going to have to roll out a lot of HD, and FREE, before I am really excited. Love the concept, though. I suspect it'll be getting better.
post #743 of 2921 Old 01-08-2005, 06:08 PM

hey i'd just like to thank comcast for not getting the kstp-hd deal done yet,

2 NFL games on today and nothing

comcast is a joke

i got it 2 months ago after moving from minneapolis to coon rapids, man i wish time warner would wipe them out
post #744 of 2921 Old 01-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I'm not sure what's going on but my ESPN-HD on 6412 just saids

ONE MOMENT PLEASE
This channel should be available shortly.

It's working on my 6208 tuner. What's up? It's been this way for a while.
post #745 of 2921 Old 01-11-2005, 06:21 AM

SonyHome, that exact same thing happened for three days in December. When I called them, they claimed I was only the second person to call, but it began on a Sunday, making it impossible to watch the football game in HD so that seemed odd.

My ESPN-HD is working this morning, so either the problem is fixed or it's localized. If you're still having the problem, I would definitely call right away to report it.
post #746 of 2921 Old 01-11-2005, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by pimpzilla
hey i'd just like to thank comcast for not getting the kstp-hd deal done yet,

2 NFL games on today and nothing

comcast is a joke

i got it 2 months ago after moving from minneapolis to coon rapids, man i wish time warner would wipe them out

Why aren't you thanking KSTP?

Comcast was able to work out deals with the other major network locals....
post #747 of 2921 Old 01-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cielo
SonyHome, that exact same thing happened for three days in December. When I called them, they claimed I was only the second person to call, but it began on a Sunday, making it impossible to watch the football game in HD so that seemed odd.

My ESPN-HD is working this morning, so either the problem is fixed or it's localized. If you're still having the problem, I would definitely call right away to report it.

cielo,
I called and they had me do a power cycle but it did not fix the problem. Called again and they are sending someone out. It's strange why it works on 6208 HD tuner but not on the 6412 tuner. I think I've had this problem for more than a week.

What model HD tuner do you have? Is anyone else having this problem?
post #748 of 2921 Old 01-12-2005, 06:13 AM

When it happened to me, it was also on the 6412, but I no longer had a 6208 so I don't know if it would have affected that box too. They sent a signal to my box to no avail.

Eventually they sent someone out, but they never warned me that someone was coming. They came when only my teenager was home, and they told her they could not fix the problem since an adult was not home. Then, mysteriously, the problem corrected itself about a day later. I have no idea what they did to fix it.

Clearly, it occurs as a fairly isolated problem. Unfortunately, my experience sheds no light on how or why it happens or how to fix it. Let us know what happens. Good luck.
post #749 of 2921 Old 01-12-2005, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by SonyHome
I'm not sure what's going on but my ESPN-HD on 6412 just saids

ONE MOMENT PLEASE
This channel should be available shortly.

It's working on my 6208 tuner. What's up? It's been this way for a while.

I do not mean to make light of your problem SonyHome but I find it kinda quaint that the 6208 is able to receive ESPN but the 6412 cannot. For once the 6208 does something right. Just curious, why not swap out the 6208? For the same price you would get 2 tuners and 50% more disk space and a ton more stability (sans the ESPN problem). Good luck.
post #750 of 2921 Old 01-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I do not mean to make light of your problem SonyHome but I find it kinda quaint that the 6208 is able to receive ESPN but the 6412 cannot. For once the 6208 does something right. Just curious, why not swap out the 6208? For the same price you would get 2 tuners and 50% more disk space and a ton more stability (sans the ESPN problem). Good luck.

Maybe I got the model # wrong for the 6208. I have the one without the DVR since I only need 1 DVR which is 6412. ESPN-HD was working on my 6412 at one point so I'm not sure what happened.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page