Minneapolis, MN - Comcast - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 2921 Old 09-12-2003, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well, I've joined the ranks. Installer was a friendly tech who said he didn't usually do installs, but was drafted into service because of high demand. Installation went smoothly with one exception. Turns out the Motorola remote codes conflict with my Zektor component video switcher. Everytime I'd change the cable channel, the switcher would select a different input! Luckily the switcher can be taught to learn other remote codes, so I have that to look forward to. Until then I've covered the sensor on the switcher.

First HD channel I tried with my Hitachi 57SWX20B TV was INHD. They were playing some horrible movie from the 80's, and I was unimpressed. After the movie, they ran a loop featuring upcoming programs. This video was VERY impressive, especially the nature photography. I next checked out Boomtown on KAREHD. It was widescreen and looked good, but didn' knock my socks off. Finally I flipped on the Tonight Show. Again, I was VERY impressed, and it wasn't just because Pamela Anderson was in HD.

So I was most impressed with the nature photography on INHD and the Tonight Show. The INHD movie and Boomtown left me a bit disappointed. Looking forward to the Vikes in HD Sunday night.

I also got my TiVo and the cable box to play nice together. I ran the SD channels to the TiVo with coax, and ran the component cables to my switcher and into a different input on the TV. I also set my 4:3 override to 480p so that the graphics are suppressed through the TiVo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2921 Old 09-13-2003, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Congrats Dave! Keep the info and reactions coming!

~Markito
post #63 of 2921 Old 09-13-2003, 05:50 PM

Dave, congratulations! Glad your installation went relatively well. I agree with you that that INHD movie was very unimpressive. I had some friends over at that time who wanted to see what a high def broadcast looked like, and there was nothing worthwhile to show them. Too bad they weren't here later when The Tonight Show came on because, as you said, it looked great! 24 hours until the Vikes game!
post #64 of 2921 Old 09-14-2003, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

So if ESPNHD stretches their shows, what setting should we put our
5100's and TVs/projectors so the Vikes game tonight won't looked
stretched? Or will it automatically not be stretched because it will be true HD
content?

Thanks,

~Markito
post #65 of 2921 Old 09-14-2003, 11:26 AM

This is only slightly relavent to the topic of HDTV in the Twin Cities, but I'll post it here since this is an active thread right now. I was wondering if anyone monitoring this thread (maybe ComcastRep?) has an inside connection at Comcast in the Twin Cities? I am looking for a contact regarding having Comcast service run to my neighborhood.

I'm moving to a development north of Hastings and there's about 40 homes there. Comcast has service all around, but not in this development. Cable just isn't there. Calls to the regular customer service reps get the run-around or they just say it isn't available in my area and they have no idea when it will be. They just say that when enough people call, they'll consider running service.

I'm looking to find a person I can talk to to lobby for establishing cable service in may neighborhood. These are fairly upscale homes, so I'm sure that the people living there would also be purchasing premium channels and broadband internet.

If anyone could give me a name and a phone number or e-mail, please PM me.

Thanks in advance and for tolerating an off topic post.
post #66 of 2921 Old 09-14-2003, 03:17 PM

I got my hdtv installed on friday.

I set over-ride to 480i.

I compared s-video to component connection for 480i. The s-video connection was better than the component.

Then I replace the comcast supplied 12 foot component cable with a 6 foot one that I had purchased at Radio Shack that day. This time the Component inputs were superior to the s-video with 480i. Suggest you others try that. My TV is a Sony 32" hs-20.

Also first code for Jerrold has worked for my remotes (now have access to dct 5100 from my two sony remotes, both receiver and hs-20). I am impressed with the remote supplied with the dct 5100. It would be perfect if it could drive my picture-in-picture in the hs-20.

The HDTV picture is great. I wish there was more content. I am looking forward to the two INHD channels from tomorrow (Sept 15th), and am looking forward to the vikings tonight.
post #67 of 2921 Old 09-14-2003, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Those Vikes are lookin' beautiful on ESPNHD tonight! And y'all were right. The stretching stopped as soon as the game started (though the non HD commercials stretched). Lovin' the HDTV!

~Markito
post #68 of 2921 Old 09-14-2003, 07:20 PM

The Vikes look great, but why is ESPN not broadcasting the game in 5.1?! I'm also surprised that they don't do the pre-game and half-time show in Hd. By the way, anyone else see the horizontal video blips during the first half? What's up with that?
post #69 of 2921 Old 09-14-2003, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Do we know if any of the many "Vikes on Fox" games will air in Hi-Def on KMSP-HD (FoxHD)?

~Markito
post #70 of 2921 Old 09-15-2003, 05:19 AM

Why didn't Fox broadcast the game in HD It was standard def here, unless I have something screwed up in my T150 config.

-Mike
post #71 of 2921 Old 09-15-2003, 05:44 AM

Hi Mike,
Are you talking about Channel 5? There is a string discussing that on the TPT board at: http://tpt.org/innertube/inside/bbs/. Apparently, there were a bunch of problems with Channel 5's signal last night.

Also, I noticed on that board that there was a discussion about the game not being in 5.1. Apparently, it wasn't until the 3rd quarter that it showed up in 5.1. By that time I had turned off my stereo because I don't like it when dialogue is in stereo instead of coming out of the center channel.
post #72 of 2921 Old 09-15-2003, 06:25 AM

Game looked great and everyone I had over to watch it was very impressed. I am using the supplied cable and I think it looks great. Standard channels look poor as I was used to with Dishnetwork. I will hook the 5100 up using the Monster cable I am currently using for my DVD to see if it makes a difference.

I was also wondering why the game on ESPNHD was not in 5.1? Is this standard for ESPN games to only be in stereo?

I noticed while watching FOX coverage that although the games were not widescreen - the highlights were. The studio coverage was also in widescreen most of the time. I wish ESPN would finish their new studio and get HD sports center up and running.

Anyone have a schedule of possible Wild game coverage in HD? I know there was talk about Victory sports or INHD doing some coverage.
post #73 of 2921 Old 09-15-2003, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

To clarify: Yesterday's game was on ABC (and ESPN), not FOX.

Bart
post #74 of 2921 Old 09-15-2003, 05:47 PM

Anyone having a problem with INHD? I am getting "One Moment Please" when tuned to 174. I am on hold with Comcast right now - so far all I am getting is "it's a signal strenght issue" and "it's a pay per view channel" - even though it has been coming in great all last week. So I am waiting for someone that knows something to get on the phone..... And I wanted to see Full Metal Jacket....
post #75 of 2921 Old 09-15-2003, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I will check later tonight.

Also, do we know which channel "INHD2" is on?

~Markito
post #76 of 2921 Old 09-15-2003, 07:16 PM

She said 175.
post #77 of 2921 Old 09-15-2003, 07:27 PM

Yes, INHD2 is supposed to be on channel 175, but it's still not even showing up in the channel guide. Comcast's reps don't have a clue about why it hasn't been launched yet, and they have no idea why INHD is having troubles. They have no estimate as to when INHD will be repaired, and they know nothing whatsoever about INHD2. The rep with whom I spoke said she would forward my inquiry to someone who could address it and have that person call me back. Based on previous inquiries that have been handled that way, I give Comcast about a 20% chance of calling me back at all.

I've been waiting more than five months for them to fix the 5.1 problem with Starz and Showtime. It took a very high-level guy at the cable head-in office in Roseville that long to determine that their vendor is not passing along those signals in 5.1, despite the fact that Comcast has claimed (and most of their people have believed) all along that they provide those channels in 5.1. He says that they're negotiating with their vendor to correct the problem. Sigh.

By the way, INHD and INHD2 are NOT pay-per-view channels, as plainly stated on their website (http://www.inhd.com/about/faq.jsp).
post #78 of 2921 Old 09-15-2003, 07:48 PM

I posted this on the TPT forum after someone also stated that they are having the problem.... This is my first experience with Comcast, only had the service for a week.

Ok, great so there is a problem at Comcast. I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with 2 different levels of tech support. First level told me the same thing - it's pay per view and it appears you do not have a good signal. I tried a bunch of different solutions including taking all splitters out to satisfy the tech that it wasn't a signal issue.

Second level of tech support also said it's In Demands HD pay per view channel (after she looked up the channel). I told her no it's owned by In Demand but is part of the HD tier. She talked to several other techs and claimed there were no other calls about it. She tried to pass it off as my problem. I asked if she had a HD box there to try the channel on - she said they do not have a HD box in the support center...... She said she would contact the right people to look into it.... Whatever that means.....
post #79 of 2921 Old 09-15-2003, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, same here... no INHD as of today. I'm glad you pointed out the FAQ which clearly states it is NOT PPV.

I can't wait until this gets straightened out.

~Markito
post #80 of 2921 Old 09-16-2003, 10:23 AM

INHD is up and running today, and INHD2 is now showing up in the channel guide. However, it says not authorized and to press OK for ordering information (which doesn't do anything). Is Comcast going to make INHD2 a pay channel?
post #81 of 2921 Old 09-16-2003, 10:39 AM

I found this post in the following thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=302126
Quote:

I called Comcast to try to get them to send a hit to my box in an attempt to get INHD2 to show up. Well, the CSR said there was only one kind of "hit" they could do and it had to reboot the cable box. So I said why not and let them send a hit and viola, INHD2 appears on 175. For anybody that has problems receiving INHD2 and getting the "not authorized" message should try calling Comcast and getting a hit sent to their box. It worked for the INHD preview and it worked with INHD2 so it seems as if a hit to the box works well.

I won't be able to try this myself until this evening, so let me know if this helps.

post #82 of 2921 Old 09-16-2003, 10:49 AM

Thanks, Dave! I just called Comcast. Unfortunately, their computer system is down so they have to call me back to send the "hit" to my box. Hopefully, this will work. Thanks again!
post #83 of 2921 Old 09-16-2003, 04:44 PM

Well, I just got home and fired-up INHD and INHD2. I have access to both, but both channels are completely pixelated and are unwatchable. The audio is also cutting out. Anyone else having issues?

post #84 of 2921 Old 09-16-2003, 05:09 PM

In a few minutes of INHD1 the shows looked fine for me. the INHD2 is not authorized for me. They just rehit the box and that did not appear to work. When I called they seemed to be aware of the issue via tech email. They just said if it is still not working by Wednesday call back.
post #85 of 2921 Old 09-16-2003, 05:39 PM

Aarrgghhh. My INHD pictures are crap. They tried re-hitting my box, but that didn't fix it. I have a service call scheduled for tomorrow night. No problems with KAREHD.

post #86 of 2921 Old 09-16-2003, 06:10 PM

Well, they tried re-hitting my box but didn't know which signal hit to send. So then they totally restarted my box, and that didn't work either. They're looking into the problem and say they will call me back. LOL - they didn't return my last call either.

Meanwhile, is everyone else seeing the horrible picture quality on NBC and Fox right now? My HD signal for Frasier is worse than an SD signal on the oldest TV I own. ESPN looks like crap right now too, but I think it's an SD signal stretched. HBOHD and INHD still look great.
post #87 of 2921 Old 09-16-2003, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

When I checked the two INHD channels, they both said, "One Moment Please", or something like that. Then they both kicked in and look beautiful!

INHD2 had a stunning show on jellyfish-like creatures that looked so clear and almost 3-D, that I couldn't get the grin off my face.

I Love my HDTV!

~Markito
post #88 of 2921 Old 09-16-2003, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

cielo,
I didn't watch those shows, but I caught a few minutes of the Whoopi show and it looked really good (visually) to me.

~Markito
post #89 of 2921 Old 09-16-2003, 07:30 PM

Law and Order looks good now on NBC. Maybe it was just Frasier and whatever the show was that was on Fox at the same time. Even Law and Order doesn't match up to INHD and HBO though (or even to previous NBC HD broadcasts I've seen).

Markito and Dave, I don't understand how you two are getting INHD2 when others of us are still "not authorized." They don't seem to be able to figure out what's causing the problem yet. The rep told me she would call me back in 15 minutes ... it's been almost 90 minutes. I'm not optimistic. I wish I would have been able to see that INHD2 show on jelly-fish-like creatures. Sounds like it was great.

Dave, I hope they fix your pixelization problem. You're missing some beautiful broadcasts on INHD. The baseball game tonight was visually fantastic.
post #90 of 2921 Old 09-16-2003, 08:22 PM

My pixelization problems seem to have magically cleared up, so I'm now getting INHD 1 & 2 in beautifully. Wow- the picture is sweeeet!

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page