Minneapolis, MN - Comcast - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 2921 Old 08-07-2007, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Forgive me for being clueless, but what's the difference between "DCT" & "DCH"?

Also, you can just march into a Comcast location and swap DVR's? Back in the old days (4 years ago) they said that we couldn't do that and had to have a tech bring it via a service call. So can we really just go there?

'kito

~Markito
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2921 Old 08-07-2007, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markito View Post

Also, you can just march into a Comcast location and swap DVR's? Back in the old days (4 years ago) they said that we couldn't do that and had to have a tech bring it via a service call. So can we really just go there?

'kito

Yes, you can really just go there and do a swap. The DCH is the latest model and is being introduced in some areas around the country. It does look a lot better than the DCT line - there was a picture posted on the 3416/3412 forum a few days ago. Offhand I cannot remember what additional capabilities it has...
I figured I'd investigate it a little more when it's available here.
post #993 of 2921 Old 08-07-2007, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaumgart View Post

Yes, you can really just go there and do a swap.

Cool!

Anyone know where the swap locations are for actual Saint Paul?

Is there a list somewhere of locations where you can swap?

Thanks!

'kito

~Markito
post #994 of 2921 Old 08-08-2007, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cool!

Anyone know where the swap locations are for actual Saint Paul?

Is there a list somewhere of locations where you can swap?

Thanks!

'kito

If nobody answers your question, just give Comcast a call:

651-222-3333
post #995 of 2921 Old 08-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

'kito

I posted links in my original reply.

Wikibook
Motorola DCT 3400 series
Motorola DCH-3416

I believe "DCT" is "Digital Cable Transceiver", while "DCH" is "Digital Cable Host". The DCH boxes are essentially the same as the DCT boxes, as far as features and hardware are concerned. There's a new case design, and it uses separable security (an M-Card, multistream cable card) instead of built-in security. Part of an FCC mandate for separable security. It also uses a new firmware series, so I'm hoping some of the common DCT bugs have been resolved.

Find a local office here.

Get WMC Recording Storage Pooler 1.0.0.

Get ATI HD Registry Tweaks 0.16. Updated 2009-12-31.

Get Firewire drivers for DVRs. Updated 2009-02-25.
post #996 of 2921 Old 08-09-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks so much guys.
It's good to be back in the mix.
'kito

~Markito
post #997 of 2921 Old 08-10-2007, 01:08 AM

In addition to the features ExDeus mentioned, the DCH box is also built to support Motoralla's "Follow Me TV" functionality, which allows you to "place shift", watch shows recorded on another box in the house. I've heard rumors that Comcast will provide this feature at some point but who knows.... we're still waiting on their Tivo interface too.

BTW, if anyone in the Twin Cities area knows when either of these features will or has become available, please post!
post #998 of 2921 Old 08-15-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I brought my 6412 down to the Comcast building across the Robert Street Bridge from downtown Saint Paul. I swapped it with the newest most current HD DVR they had, which is the DCT3416. It's not the DCH, but I am very happy to have HDMI instead of DVI and to have a bigger harddrive.

Thanks guys.
'kito

~Markito
post #999 of 2921 Old 09-04-2007, 08:49 AM

I see Discovery channel is starting to do some shows in HD, dirty jobs I saw as well as Myth Busters. Problem is Comcast doesn't have Discovery HD. They have HD Theature but that is different than Discovery HD and Discovery. Being that it is pretty new as far as I know, you think Comcast will add this? I was looking into Dish Network a little bit and it seems they have a lot more HD to offer than Comcast. Comcast did just add some new HD channels and I do like my on Demand. So I'm kinda a coin flip at this point. Does Comcast even have the room to add more HD channels? I'm not really sure how there capacity compares to dish.
post #1000 of 2921 Old 09-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim-X View Post

I see Discovery channel is starting to do some shows in HD, dirty jobs I saw as well as Myth Busters. Problem is Comcast doesn't have Discovery HD. They have HD Theature but that is different than Discovery HD and Discovery. Being that it is pretty new as far as I know, you think Comcast will add this? I was looking into Dish Network a little bit and it seems they have a lot more HD to offer than Comcast. Comcast did just add some new HD channels and I do like my on Demand. So I'm kinda a coin flip at this point. Does Comcast even have the room to add more HD channels? I'm not really sure how there capacity compares to dish.

I'm not sure about the answers to your questions, but the complaints about Dish employing HDLite (trimming bitrates, downres'ing to 1280x1080i, transcoding to MPEG-4) have kept me away. They've crammed too much programming into too little bandwidth.

post #1001 of 2921 Old 09-04-2007, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you sure? In our area (NW suburbs) Discovery HD is channel 205.
post #1002 of 2921 Old 09-04-2007, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Are you sure? In our area (NW suburbs) Discovery HD is channel 205.

That is Discovery HD Theatre

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #1003 of 2921 Old 09-04-2007, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbal99 View Post

That is Discovery HD Theatre

Well you are correct of course - my bad. I did happen to watch a very interesting program on Discovery HD Theatre last night, "Riding Giants" about the history of big wave surfing.
post #1004 of 2921 Old 09-04-2007, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Well you are correct of course - my bad. I did happen to watch a very interesting program on Discovery HD Theatre last night, "Riding Giants" about the history of big wave surfing.

Stacy Peralta did that after doing his Dogtown/Z-boys documentary, very cool stuff.

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #1005 of 2921 Old 09-05-2007, 08:57 AM

yea, I actually do like my cable a lot, I don't really want dish. I use to be a dish fan but after have on demand for a while and it not going out in the rain, I kinda like that. So how much hd can comcast fit?
post #1006 of 2921 Old 09-09-2007, 10:34 PM

I have a DCT3416 which works pretty well, how much better are the DCH and do they have them in yet?
post #1007 of 2921 Old 09-10-2007, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a DCT3416 which works pretty well, how much better are the DCH and do they have them in yet?

Good questions and I've been wondering the same things. If anyone gets one in the Twin Cities please report back and tell us what you think!
post #1008 of 2921 Old 09-21-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

While Discovery HD Theater may not be the actual Discovery Channel, just in HD, I don't care, I LOVE their HD Theater and watch that channel more than any of the other HD channels.

~Markito
post #1009 of 2921 Old 09-21-2007, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, here's a weird question for all of you. My DCT3416 loves the Latino music channel! It automatically goes to channel 444 several times a day! Sometimes even while we are watching a different channel, it just switches it to 444, even when we aren't holding the remote.

I guess my DCT3416 was made in Mexico! :0)

Has anyone experienced this? Know what the issue is? Have a solution?

Thanks,
'kito

~Markito
post #1010 of 2921 Old 09-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK, here's a weird question for all of you. My DCT3416 loves the Latino music channel! It automatically goes to channel 444 several times a day! Sometimes even while we are watching a different channel, it just switches it to 444, even when we aren't holding the remote.

I guess my DCT3416 was made in Mexico! :0)

Has anyone experienced this? Know what the issue is? Have a solution?

Thanks,
'kito

Can you immediately change the channel back, or is it locked there for a bit? Mine changes to The Weather Channel, but that is part of the Emergency Alert System.

post #1011 of 2921 Old 09-22-2007, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I can change it right back, but it is a pain. Last night while we watched a recorded movie, it automatically changed to 444 three times during the movie. And the music is loud. Drives me crazy.

~Markito
post #1012 of 2921 Old 09-22-2007, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can change it right back, but it is a pain. Last night while we watched a recorded movie, it automatically changed to 444 three times during the movie. And the music is loud. Drives me crazy.

Looks like it's time to exchange your box - it shouldn't do this!
post #1013 of 2921 Old 09-25-2007, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

It now also likes to go to channel 111 when it gets tired of automatically going to 444.
Strange, eh? I think I will swap it out... too bad I have a ton of new shows to watch on it first.

~Markito
post #1014 of 2921 Old 09-25-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's a question I have always wondered.
Since my Comcast cable goes through several splitters in my house (Comcast phone service, two other (non HD) cable boxes, another tv, cable modem, etc.) I know that can lead to a weaker signal.

Right now my 1080P HD looks good, but I am wondering if by it splitting (sharing) so much, if it hadn't split first, would it look even better, sharper, hi-def-er? Or because it is digital, it's all-or-nothing. Meaning that if the splitting were to affect my hi-def signal on my plasma, I would either have perfect hi-def or nothing at all?

Does any of that make sense? I guess I'm just wondering if my hi-def experience is being compromised by my cable being split so many times, even though I still have a nice picture right now, or if it were compromised, it would be incredibly obvious, instead of subtle) and I would be seeing major issues.

Thanks so much,
'kito

~Markito
post #1015 of 2921 Old 09-25-2007, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here's a question I have always wondered.
Since my Comcast cable goes through several splitters in my house (Comcast phone service, two other (non HD) cable boxes, another tv, cable modem, etc.) I know that can lead to a weaker signal.

Right now my 1080P HD looks good, but I am wondering if by it splitting (sharing) so much, if it hadn't split first, would it look even better, sharper, hi-def-er? Or because it is digital, it's all-or-nothing. Meaning that if the splitting were to affect my hi-def signal on my plasma, I would either have perfect hi-def or nothing at all?

Does any of that make sense? I guess I'm just wondering if my hi-def experience is being compromised by my cable being split so many times, even though I still have a nice picture right now, or if it were compromised, it would be incredibly obvious, instead of subtle) and I would be seeing major issues.

Thanks so much,
'kito

It's digital, so like you said, it's all or nothing. The cable signal coming in isn't the picture you get at your TV, regardless. It comes in encoded, modulated, and perhaps encrypted for cable systems. Your cable box has to receive, demodulate, perhaps decrypt, and decode the cablecast stream before it is turned into the video you see on your screen.

Once it goes from the cable box to your TV, there are only a couple issues you can get with a digital video connection, which are very obvious, and only occur with damaged or very long DVI/HDMI cables (over 12ft). So within that range, it's all or nothing, so the quality of your HDMI/DVI cables doesn't even factor in. As long as they work, there's no difference b/w a $3 cable and a $100 cable.

post #1016 of 2921 Old 09-25-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks so much ExD!

~Markito
post #1017 of 2921 Old 09-25-2007, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDeus View Post

It's digital, so like you said, it's all or nothing.

Unless you are getting pixelation then you may have a signal issue.
post #1018 of 2921 Old 09-26-2007, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey All,

I've got a Samsung LNT4671F on the way, and my understanding is that it includes both an ATSC & QAM Tuner. My previous HDTV was only "HD Ready" so I was always using the Comcast set top HD receiver, but it sounds like I may have some alternative options now for receiving HD channels. If I'm understanding this QAM thing correctly, in the Minneapolis area I'm going to be able to just plug the coaxial plug from the wall into my HDTV and magically receive local HD channels? Is that correct? Is there more to it that I'm unaware of? If it actually works, how does the quality compare to the dedicated Comcast digital box? Thanks all!

Click here for my home theater setup
post #1019 of 2921 Old 09-26-2007, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope, no pixelization. Clear and smooth. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on an image that should be even sharper or anything, but it sounds like that's not an issue with digital. Since my plasma is 1080p and my HD signal has no pixelization, I must be getting the best possible.

Thanks so much for the info guys.
'kito

~Markito
post #1020 of 2921 Old 09-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

True. I guess I didn't consider "all-or-nothing" to mean either you get a picture or your screen is black, but that either you get an intact picture, or you get missing picture (break-ups resulting in pixelation, stuttering, drop-outs, etc), which is clearly distinguishable from soft pixelation from macroblocking. I think we are already in agreement.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page