AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by DaveMN
To slightly change the topic, does anyone have any idea:

1) When the HD cable boxes with DVR capability will be introduced in the Twin Cities?

Dave,
Go to this site and the click on
http://www.comcast.com/Benefits/Cabl...ot3PageOne.asp

After I clicked "continue" at the bottom and then entered in my zipcode (55105), it said, "DVR is not yet available at the address you entered. Click Here to be notified when DVR is available in your area." So you may want to do that.

~Markito
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2924 Old 01-27-2004, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by blitzen102
Unless I am mistaken, ReplayTV does not currently support recording of DTV or HDTV signals.

True, and I know that, but there has been a lot of discussion in the AVS ReplayTV forum about how if you hook your ReplayTV unit up to the HDTV (5100) cablebox via S-video, the HD channel isn't HD, but looks much nicer than the non HD channel version, so I want to do that.

~Markito
post #183 of 2924 Old 01-27-2004, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mrblonde
Yes I am looking forward to the Super Bowl. I'm glad it's on CBS instead of Fox. CBS football in HD is way better than Fox. Don't know why Fox can't even do 5.1 sound?

Quote:

Originally posted by shelland
That's because Fox doesn't have "HD" - it's only 480p. I'm sure it's discussed many places, but here's one place (scroll down a bit):
HDTV Twin Cities
Still significantly better than the SD channel, but a far cry from 1080i HD!

Here is another (more simplistic) explanation. On Comcast's website at
http://www.comcast.com/Benefits/Cabl...ot4PageOne.asp

It says, and I quote...
"Unlike satellite, with Comcast you can watch local broadcast channels (like ABC, NBC, CBS, and PBS*) in HD without an antenna. So you can see the prime-time and sports programs that you wanted to watch when you bought an HDTV set. In addition to our HD programming, in many cities Comcast offers the enhanced viewing experience of FOX Widescreen.

Plus, you get great HD networks like ESPN HD which offers over 100 high definition games a year and selected ESPN original programming. Also, the INHD and INHD2 channels offer an exceptional variety of sports, movies, travel, and nature programming - all in high definition.

Finally, at no extra cost, premium subscribers can catch their favorite hit movies and many ground breaking original series from HBO HD and SHOWTIME HD. And for HD movie lovers, STARZ HD and CINEMAX HD are coming soon."

So you see, they don't call it HD on their website, it is just "Fox Widescreen". That explains why I have been b*tching about it every Sunday and didn't know until today why for HD, it s*cked so badly.

I also like that they mention ABC-HD & PBS-HD, but then the "*" says, "
*HD programming from ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS is available in selected areas."

So at first I thought, "Hey, they said ABC & PBS as HD on their site!", but then I realized that this is just a form letter site that doesn't speak of Saint Paul's listings directly. But we can always hope.

~Markito
post #184 of 2924 Old 01-27-2004, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JBaumgart
I just had the HDTV box installed a few days ago, connected to a relatively basic Sony 32 inch plasma set in the bedroom. The Sony I think can be called "ED" as its display is 852 x 1024. I used a DVI cable for the box, and the lone set of component inputs on the TV to connect a DVD player. Everything works and overall I am very happy with it.

JBaumgart,
The DVI-D output on your Moto 5100 HDTV cablebox is active and is sending the HD signal to your TV?!?!?!?!?

Really?

I thought that the DVI-D output wasn't active yet.

In fact, I don't think my 5100 even has a DVI-D jack visible. I'll have to check.

Please confirm.

Thanks,

~Markito
post #185 of 2924 Old 01-27-2004, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Markito
Dave,

After I clicked "continue" at the bottom and then entered in my zipcode (55105), it said, "DVR is not yet available at the address you entered. Click Here to be notified when DVR is available in your area." So you may want to do that.

Did that months ago. I was just wondering if anyone has some inside information on how long of a wait we have. I don't expect to get an official email from Comcast before its available for order.

post #186 of 2924 Old 01-27-2004, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh. Yeah.
I have 3 ReplayTV 5XXX DVRs, and I LOVE them, but what a bummer to have so much money already invested in DVR technology and not be able to record true HD.

I have kids, so I watch almost all of my TV late at night after they are asleep, so the reality is that I rarely ever get to watch it in HD.

So an HD DVR would be so great!

~Markito
post #187 of 2924 Old 01-27-2004, 12:42 PM

I have a problem explaining to the wife (who loves TiVo), why we got HD if we can't record it with our TiVo. Since a stand alone TiVo that records HD cable hasn't even been announced yet, it looks like the only option will be the Comcast DVR (or moving to a dish). I'm in the same boat with the kids too- I only have an hour or two at best that I can watch TV after the kids are asleep.

post #188 of 2924 Old 01-27-2004, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like we are in the same EXACT situation.
C'mon Comcast, make that DVR available SOON!!!

~Markito
post #189 of 2924 Old 01-27-2004, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

To slightly change the topic, does anyone have any idea:

1) When the HD cable boxes with DVR capability will be introduced in the Twin Cities?

They mention DVR on the above page, but I don't see that it mentions HD DVR anywhere...
post #190 of 2924 Old 01-27-2004, 04:02 PM

Quote:

I have a problem explaining to the wife (who loves TiVo), why we got HD if we can't record it with our TiVo. Since a stand alone TiVo that records HD cable hasn't even been announced yet, it looks like the only option will be the Comcast DVR

If it's an HD DVR...

Quote:

(or moving to a dish).

Or moving to an area that has Time Warner, since they already have an HD DVR available...
post #191 of 2924 Old 01-27-2004, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really?

I thought that the DVI-D output wasn't active yet.

In fact, I don't think my 5100 even has a DVI-D jack visible. I'll have to check.

Please confirm.

Thanks,

I have to assume it's the 5100 (it's now in a cabinet and is a bit difficult to see the lettering on the back) but it does have a DVI output and the picture is very sharp. So either it's the very latest 5100 or a newer, upgraded model that they are now using in lieu of the 5100(?). As I mentioned the only set of component inputs on the TV are connected to my DVD player, and I have no other video connection going from the box to the TV. So Comcasts' latest installations definitely include a DVI out that can be used successfully - and with my TV I'm glad it works.
post #192 of 2924 Old 01-28-2004, 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by shelland
If it's an HD DVR...

The DVRs that Comcast is rolling-out in other markets WILL record HD, so when they finally get around to Minnesota, ours will as well.

post #193 of 2924 Old 01-28-2004, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I SWEAR I read HD recording there somewhere, but now I can't find it.

If it is just a DVR, then I don't want it, as I already have three networked ReplayTV 5XXX units, but if it is HD DVR, then sign me up!!!!

~Markito
post #194 of 2924 Old 01-28-2004, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have to assume it's the 5100 (it's now in a cabinet and is a bit difficult to see the lettering on the back) but it does have a DVI output and the picture is very sharp. So either it's the very latest 5100 or a newer, upgraded model that they are now using in lieu of the 5100(?). As I mentioned the only set of component inputs on the TV are connected to my DVD player, and I have no other video connection going from the box to the TV. So Comcasts' latest installations definitely include a DVI out that can be used successfully - and with my TV I'm glad it works.

Hmmmmm. Wish I had that model. If you go back to the link of the 5100 User's Manual .pdf, you will see pics of the 5100's face and back. They show no DVI-D. But I think there is a similar model out there (not shown or discussed in the manual), the 6200 or something that is almost the same, and perhaps that one has it.

I guess you're just lucky.

I'm using my DVI-D cable for my DVD player, and I don't want to have to buy another expensive cable, so I guess I'm fine for now.

Thanks for the heads up.

~Markito
post #195 of 2924 Old 01-28-2004, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I SWEAR I read HD recording there somewhere, but now I can't find it.

If it is just a DVR, then I don't want it, as I already have three networked ReplayTV 5XXX units, but if it is HD DVR, then sign me up!!!!

More than likely we'll get the Motorola DCT-6208, unless something else shows-up beforehand. This seems to be what most markets are getting. I've also read they may wait for a new model, the DCT-6408, which evidently will have more storage and more tuners.

Product page:
http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/dct6208.asp

User guide:
http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/do..._UserGuide.pdf

While the interface won't compare with TiVo or Replay TV (will be time based), at least we'll finally be able to record HD. I think these boxes will also let you add an external drive via USB for more program storage.

post #196 of 2924 Old 01-28-2004, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmmmm. Wish I had that model. If you go back to the link of the 5100 User's Manual .pdf, you will see pics of the 5100's face and back. They show no DVI-D. But I think there is a similar model out there (not shown or discussed in the manual), the 6200 or something that is almost the same, and perhaps that one has it.

I'm using my DVI-D cable for my DVD player, and I don't want to have to buy another expensive cable, so I guess I'm fine for now.

Thanks for the heads up.

Just looked at the fact sheets for the DCT5100 vs the DCT6200. For the 5100 it says that the DVI Interface is "optional" whereas the 6200 has this standard. I suspect that I have the 5100 but I am going to check and make sure, as now I'm curious. Need to pull everything away from the wall and have some good light to do this.

I also want to do some more experimenting with the User Settings to make sure I'm getting the best possible picture from my TV (Sony plasma KE32TS2). Question, do you think with a native plasma resolution of 852 x 1024 the output should be set to 1080i or 720P? I'm going to try both and see if it makes a difference. Generally, I;ve read where 1080i is a little better on those sets that can support it, except possible for fast moving pictures (like hockey games) 720P can be better.
post #197 of 2924 Old 01-28-2004, 03:26 PM

Quote:

The DVRs that Comcast is rolling-out in other markets WILL record HD, so when they finally get around to Minnesota, ours will as well.

I hadn't heard that - good to know - thanks!
post #198 of 2924 Old 02-04-2004, 08:07 PM

I just got off the phone with comcast, trying to get the basic service and HDTV for $5.00/month, and regardless of who I talked to I ended up with the guy or gal telling me I needed their digital package. So I just said the hell with it and got basic cable only (to make my Internet $15.00 cheaper) and will try talking to the tech about it.

If anyone has been or becomes successful in getting this elusive service combo, could you try asking the person completing the sale what a new caller should ask for to avoid this runaround and post it here? That would be really great. I'll try asking the tech the same thing, tho I doubt they have much to do with phone sales.
post #199 of 2924 Old 02-05-2004, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by palebluedot
I just got off the phone with comcast, trying to get the basic service and HDTV for $5.00/month, and regardless of who I talked to I ended up with the guy or gal telling me I needed their digital package. So I just said the hell with it and got basic cable only (to make my Internet $15.00 cheaper) and will try talking to the tech about it.

If anyone has been or becomes successful in getting this elusive service combo, could you try asking the person completing the sale what a new caller should ask for to avoid this runaround and post it here? That would be really great. I'll try asking the tech the same thing, tho I doubt they have much to do with phone sales.

Before I got the HD box installed, I had just the standard (analog) Comcast service. When I called Comcast the rep said that I could upgrade to HD and still keep the basic service, for just $5 a month more. However when they came to install it I asked the tech guy about this, and he said that this wasn't possible - that you needed digital cable service ($10/month) in order to get the HD box. I was going to call Comcast to complain but now I do not really want to give the digital cable up - the picture seems better as even the standard signal upconverts to 480p. I am not certain if this would be the case if I had just the HD box without digital cable service, assuming this is possible (the original rep could have been mistaken - that's what the installer said). I don't like paying $15 a month more, but I have to say that I am happy with the overall package. My only real gripe is that the network channels when watching non-HD broadcasts on channels 112-114 come through in 4:3, with black bars on the sides, and I'm not willing to risk burn-in on my plasma display so I watch these programs on their normal local channel numbers. Not a huge deal as the upconverted SD picture is still pretty good, and Sony's widezoom mode does a good job filling the 16x9 screen without having that artificial stretched look.
post #200 of 2924 Old 02-06-2004, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up.

Spoke with a Comcast phone rep today and she confirmed after looking at my account that my box is a model 6012. I believe they will do an exchange for you if you were to take your 5100 in. In the same conversation I also learned that I am using their older computer modem (broadband - I signed up just after it first became available) and they would do an exchange on that for no charge, so I assume the same would apply to their HDTV boxes. If you want to use a DVI hookup it may be worth asking about.
post #201 of 2924 Old 02-07-2004, 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by palebluedot
I just got off the phone with comcast, trying to get the basic service and HDTV for $5.00/month, ...

If anyone has been or becomes successful in getting this elusive service combo, could you try asking the person completing the sale what a new caller should ask for to avoid this runaround and post it here? ...

I was able to get the HD service added to my internet+analog cable after a CSR told me that I needed the full digital service by telling him that I'm a DirecTV customer and I just wanted to try Comcast's HDTV service. He put me on hold for a couple of minutes and told me that I could get it. I don't know if the DirecTV reference made a difference or not. Then he veared into the trees by telling me that, while I could get the HD service, I would only get it on the analog channels when the networks displayed one of the "Broadcast in HDTV" messages. I said "Fine" and he scheduled the install for 2 days out. The tech was a little puzzled when he found out that I didn't have the digital package but everything was set up within 30 minutes.

As I expected, the $5 only got me the locals (WCCO, KARE, and KMSP) that Comcast carries plus the Music Choice channels. A week later I called and had INHD (1&2) and ESPN-HD added for another $10/mo under the so-called Digital Classic package, which includes a hit-and-miss set of SD digital channels that mostly duplicate what I have on DirecTV. The CSR, a very nice lady whose told me that her son also has an HDTV, wasn't sure if I could get INHD and ESPN-HD without the full digital package but she checked (without putting me on hold) and came up with Digital Classic.

So, I was able to get what I wanted in time for the NFL playoffs. I'm pretty bored with INHD waiting for something new to enter the rotation (it's like a Top-40 station that's v-e-r-y s-l-o-w to change their playlist), and the Comcast interactive program guide is a joke. It seems like ESPN-HD shows something in HD about once every 3 or 4 days. But I'm glad I've been able to try out HD with little up-front cost. Now I'm waiting for the DirecTV HD-Tivo box to come out this spring, or the long-shot possibility of Comcast offering an HD-DVR this spring. I like my DirecTivo and, incredibly, so does my wife. Right now, my guess is that I'll end up with the DirecTV HD-Tivo and dump the Comcast HD.

Larry
post #202 of 2924 Old 02-07-2004, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Is anyone else having a problem receiving INHD on Comcast? Lately for me these channels has been coming in very sporadically, and the connectivity problem seems to have gotten worse. I think it may be a signal problem to the particluar room in my house. A few years back they installed an indoor signal booster to improve the reception, which the HD installer told me was a poor solution (he said these, when needed, should be installed on the main cable line coming into the house, not in individual rooms). Just wondering if mine is a special situation or if I should have them take a fresh look at my whole-house cable installation.
post #203 of 2924 Old 02-09-2004, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Spoke with a Comcast phone rep today and she confirmed after looking at my account that my box is a model 6012. I believe they will do an exchange for you if you were to take your 5100 in. In the same conversation I also learned that I am using their older computer modem (broadband - I signed up just after it first became available) and they would do an exchange on that for no charge, so I assume the same would apply to their HDTV boxes. If you want to use a DVI hookup it may be worth asking about.

JBaumgart,
Thanks for all the great info. At some point I may switch boxes.

Incidentally, I have NEVER had any problems with INHD & INHD2, since the day they came online. So it must be something in your home. I have it perfect every day. Good luck.

~Markito
post #204 of 2924 Old 02-09-2004, 05:08 PM

Quote:

Is anyone else having a problem receiving INHD on Comcast?

The only "trouble" I've had is for the NBA broadcasts, which have been a totally black screen. But that's because Comcast doesn't have an agreement with the NBA, so it's blacked out...
post #205 of 2924 Old 02-09-2004, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

INHD has now worked without a hitch the past two days, and I didn't touch a thing...weird.

Anybody know when Comcast will have KMSP (Channel 5) in HDTV? I wanted to watch the NHL All Star game yesterday in HD, but couldn't.
post #206 of 2924 Old 02-12-2004, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, KMSP isn't channel 5, it's 9 or 10. KSTP is channel 5.

~Markito
post #207 of 2924 Old 02-12-2004, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, KMSP isn't channel 5, it's 9 or 10. KSTP is channel 5.

Well, duh, you are correct. Anyway I was disappointed that the All Star Game wasn't in HD on Comcast and was wondering when they might transit Channel 5's (ABC) programming in HD.
post #208 of 2924 Old 02-12-2004, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, duh, you are correct. Anyway I was disappointed that the All Star Game wasn't in HD on Comcast and was wondering when they might transit Channel 5's (ABC) programming in HD. Also, how about Discovery HD?

post #209 of 2924 Old 02-18-2004, 09:31 AM

Larry, are you gonna' get the DircTivo Hughes DVR 250 when it comes out? Isn't that a $900 box?? I've been considering dumping Directv and going Comcast, but with my samsung 160, I get five digital channels of PBS plus PBS HD, Channels 4, 5, 11, and 23 in HD, fox widescreen, 29 and 45 digital, plus channel 45 HD which is HD Net, all from a little set-top UHF antenna. Then for $11more, I get a different HD Net, HD Net movies, Discovery HD, ESPN HD, CBS New York HD, but the only two premiums available in HD are HBO E, and Showtime E. So it sounds like I get more HD with DirecTv than with Comcast. Am I correct?
post #210 of 2924 Old 02-19-2004, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was disappointed that the All Star Game wasn't in HD on Comcast...

Actually, the All-Star Game was in HiDef! Though in SD it was on TNT, "INHD" simulcast it on the INHD channel!

We were so happy to see that.

~Markito
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page