Minneapolis, MN - Comcast - Page 81 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2401 of 2918 Old 04-03-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
For anyone who might care, TVGOS seems to be back in our local Comcast(at least Burnsville area). At one point my DVDR was getting a good TVGOS signal but disappeared ~6 months ago. Only recently I hooked the DVDR back up to a raw feed and low and behold my grid populated My device uses V7 analog TVGOS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 2918 Old 04-04-2011, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

For anyone who might care, TVGOS seems to be back in our local Comcast(at least Burnsville area). At one point my DVDR was getting a good TVGOS signal but disappeared ~6 months ago. Only recently I hooked the DVDR back up to a raw feed and low and behold my grid populated My device uses V7 analog TVGOS.

Jeff, I am on Comcast, live in Brooklyn Park, and have a Panasonic DMR EH50S. I also lost my TVGOS when they went digital. I might try hooking my cable back up to it, to see if it will come back. I had hooked up one of the free small cable boxes up to it, and just changed the channels on the box. The picture seemed to be better from the box, than the raw feed of the local channels that were still left. While I'm at it, I also own a Magnavox 515 and I think that you might own one also.(?) Do you get any digital channels running the raw cable feed into your Magnavox?

Thanks,

Rickenbacker
post #2403 of 2918 Old 04-04-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post

If you want to save a little bit of money you can get Motorola’s SB5101 for $30 cheaper than the SB6120. It’s DOCSIS 2.0, but has download speeds up to 30 Mbps. Comcast’s performance internet speed I believe is 12 Mbps (Burst up to 20 Mbps). Should meet most peoples needs unless you're paying or need higher internet speed.

Motorola SB5101 for $51 from Amazom.com
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Surfb...ref=pd_sim_e_4

I have Comcast's Blast! 16mpbs service that has speeds up to 20mbps.

Are there any reasons to go with DOCSIS 3.0 instead of 2.0 with this type of a setup? Would still be around 7 months for it to pay for itself though there are several used ones for less.

My needs are mainly for streaming video and playing online MMO games.
post #2404 of 2918 Old 04-04-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Rickenbacker, I agree even SD digital from a cheap DTA will probably look better than the snowy/noisy analog signal that Comcast provides but if you think that looks good you should see what recording from the HD clear QAM channels looks like True, DVD is only 480i but if the source if from a HD channel it will look almost HD like.
I also have a EH-50 but no Magnavox. For a digital QAM tuner I have a Panasonic EZ-28 which gets all the HD locals as well as SD mirrors. For locals I really don't use Comcast but rather an antenna. If I only had cable for sure I'd only record locals from clear QAM instead of the snowy/noisy cable analogs. Besides, HD clear QAM is the only way to get true 16:9 recordings, analog is only 4:3(I suppose it could be letterboxed 16:9 but I'm talking about full screen 16:9).
The locals will be the only channels in HD but their are a few other SD channels in clear QAM most notably shopping, local access, CSPAN and for whatever reason Bravo is on clear QAM.
To record the HD clear QAM channels on your EH-50 you'd need a QAM HD tuner talked about in this thread. For best picture quality your box should have S-video output(the best input our DVDRs have). If you could find a used EZ-28 it's also possible to use it just for the tuner to feed your EH-50 but new it's over $200 so it would be an expensive tuner if only using it for that.
The Magnavox is a nice all in one device but operates quite a bit different than our Panasonics and I also prefer the picture quality of our Panasonics, especially on speeds between 2+ to 4hrs/DVD.
post #2405 of 2918 Old 04-04-2011, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmcnitt View Post

Are there any reasons to go with DOCSIS 3.0 instead of 2.0 with this type of a setup? My needs are mainly for streaming video and playing online MMO games.

How consistent are your download speeds now? I would think for online game playing and video streaming you would want steady consistent speeds. DOCSIS 3 uses multiple downstream channels to carry data which can help make your download speed more consistent, but it will not increase the maximum speed. Stay with the DOCSIS 2 if you’re getting consistent download speeds and you don’t plan on upgrading over 30 Mbps. DOCSIS 3 may help if you're having choppy video streaming and poor game response.

I would buy cheap and get the DOCSIS 2 and upgrade in 3-5 years to the newest and latest technology.
post #2406 of 2918 Old 04-05-2011, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Comcast just left a message on my box saying that on April 12th we're getting an improved version of search that will look amongst both the TV schedule and On Demand for what you are looking for. That seems to coincide with the reported date that Philly and Savannah is getting new HD channels added so it makes me wonder if we might get those channels that day as well.

Demolition Man
Fan of New England/Boston & Minnesota teams!
post #2407 of 2918 Old 04-05-2011, 10:26 AM

[quote=Demolition Man;20258405]Comcast just left a message on my box QUOTE]

I don't know what you mean by this. Is there a "message center" buried somewhere in the menus? Only sort of message I am aware of are the screen crawls I saw before the analog to digital change over.

Perfection is unattainable.
post #2408 of 2918 Old 04-05-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
[quote=pillboy49;20260305]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post

Comcast just left a message on my box QUOTE]

I don't know what you mean by this. Is there a "message center" buried somewhere in the menus? Only sort of message I am aware of are the screen crawls I saw before the analog to digital change over.

On the Motorola boxes there is an option (you can turn it on or off in setup) to to turn on "Messages" that come on the STBs. A light shows up on the box and an envelope icon appears in the guide showing when you receive a message.

For me, most of the messages are announcements of PPV events coming up --- which I couldn't care less about.

I don't know if the Cisco/SA boxes have the messaging functionality.

I believe Demo Boy is on Moto equipment -- people with Cisco/SA equipment won't get this update.
post #2409 of 2918 Old 04-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillboy49 View Post

On the Motorola boxes there is an option (you can turn it on or off in setup) to to turn on "Messages" that come on the STBs. A light shows up on the box and an envelope icon appears in the guide showing when you receive a message.

For me, most of the messages are announcements of PPV events coming up --- which I couldn't care less about.

I don't know if the Cisco/SA boxes have the messaging functionality.

I believe Demo Boy is on Moto equipment -- people with Cisco/SA equipment won't get this update.

Occasionally there's a worthwhile message mixed in between all the PPV and season pass announcements so to me its worth to leave it on just for that. Oh and thanks for calling me "Demo Boy."

(And yes I am on Moto equipment. I didn't know if Cisco/SA folks got messages on their boxes.)

Demolition Man
post #2410 of 2918 Old 04-07-2011, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Oh and thanks for calling me "Demo Boy."

Just giving you crap -- nothing personal.

post #2411 of 2918 Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

Just giving you crap -- nothing personal.

Hehehe... that's why I had after I said thanks.

Demolition Man
post #2412 of 2918 Old 04-07-2011, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the explanation as all I have are SA boxes.

post #2413 of 2918 Old 04-07-2011, 11:07 AM

The new on screen guide for SA/Cisco users is now scheduled for an early May deployment per Ted Hodgins, Comcast's Sr. Director of Video Product Development - Navigation at the Comcast Voices blog entry entitled "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes".

It had been scheduled for deployment back in 2010, but after releasing the new guide in several Northeasten markets, Comcast slowed things down in order to fix some bugs that should honestly never have made it to the public. I'm betting the Twin Cities might have been scheduled for March at one point, but that never made it as far as any released date. Ted did say April at one point and now that has become May although it sounds like it will really happen this time.

MyDVR manager will not be part of the initially released new guide. The guide is coming in four phases. Phase 1, S25, will mirror the A25 guide once used by Motorola customers.

RussB over on the Houston thread listed this synopsis of Ted's comments about what to expect in which phase. Supposedly some markets will get the fourth and final phase in 2011 although I'd be stunned if this area received it sooner than mid 2012 based on the already delayed time table and Comcast's penchant for missing deadlines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post

Updated Schedule Based on Previous Information and the Following Link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post20057219

Phase 1 - New OnScreen Guide
All SA/Cisco Markets: May 2010 - May 31, 2011
Started with Connecticut (Conn.) - May 2010

Phase 2 - New OnScreen Guide with Interactive Features
2011 (Lots of SA/Cisco Narkets)
Caller ID to the TV
HSN Shop by Remote
Ready Remind
Ready Record
Request for Information applications
Xfinity TV application (Change Channels with your iPad)

Phase 3 - Remote DVR Scheduling (myDVR Manager) & XFinity TV Application
2011 (Lots of SA/Cisco Markets)
Set Recordings
View/Modify Scheduled Recordings
View Completed Recordings
Modify Series Priority Lists, etc.

Phase 4 - Tru2way Guide (On Screen Guide 2.0) & AnyRoom DVR
2012 (Several Markets in 2011)
In SA/Cisco markets, Phase 4 will only initially be available for RNG 200-N boxes (AnyRoom DVR) and then to all RNG devices. I would not run out to trade your 8300 HD box for an RNG just yet....
An Extensive New Guide with a 16:9 Display
Rich On-Screen Graphics
Search Results that Include On Demand
and Linear Television Results that can be Filtered
More On-Screen Guide Listings
Customized Grid Views
The Ability to go Back in Time in the Listings Grid
Network Logos in the Guide
Poster Art in On Demand
Additional FF and REW Speeds in On Demand
(to Match the DVR Experience)
There are many more Features included
Many more Details to come later

post #2414 of 2918 Old 04-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

http://consumerist.com/2011/04/worst...s-comcast.html

Get your votes in for Comcast tonight.

Demolition Man
post #2415 of 2918 Old 04-13-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:

http://consumerist.com/2011/04/worst...s-comcast.html

Get your votes in for Comcast tonight.

Damn...vote people!!!!

A lot of BP stations carry higher octane premium (93 vs 92) which is good for my turbocharged car, so you can guess who I voted "for".

post #2416 of 2918 Old 04-13-2011, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

BP is the easy choice in this one. Comcast might cause us frustration from time to time, but to the best of my knowledge they weren't the ones responsible for the worst environmental disaster in the nation's history!
post #2417 of 2918 Old 04-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaumgart View Post

BP is the easy choice in this one. Comcast might cause us frustration from time to time, but to the best of my knowledge they weren't the ones responsible for the worst environmental disaster in the nation's history!

However Comcast owns NBC now. That alone is very scary.

Demolition Man
post #2418 of 2918 Old 04-14-2011, 10:13 AM

I didn't think the finger pointing regarding the oil spill was completely over yet. I don't think BP manufactured the blow-out preventer that failed.

Plus I can patronize other motor fuel providers if I want to...I don't have the choice with cable providers (don't mention satellite to me).

post #2419 of 2918 Old 04-14-2011, 05:58 PM

wow, comcast just really blew me away. my latest bill was 160.00 for preferred, hd/dvr, hbo, and performance internet (44.95 a month one). Decided it was time to save some money.

I came from Dish network a year ago because the lack of MLB network and half the Twins games not in HD. I was willing to give that up and go back to dish since I could get new customer pricing again. Even paying the the 60 bucks a month for internet since i wouldn't have TV anymore, I would be saving about 40 bucks a month.

I do prefer Dish's DVR to comcast, plus I would showtime and playboy free for 3 months. Plus I would get Speed channel in HD without paying extra like comcast.

So I called Comcast tonight and told them i had an appointment Saturday for DISH (which is true), and rather than having them offer me something after I call to cancel and already have DISH hooked up, lets do something about it now. I was put on hold for a few minutes and someone else came on the line.

She asked me what it would take to keep me, and I told her to tell me what they were offering in order to keep me. She came back with everything i have now (about 160.00 a month) for 89.99 for 6 months.

I think I'll take it I will still be able to enjoy MLB network and all the twins games in HD.

Would I prefer the DISH hardware, sure but for the price that Comcast came back with and DISH not being baseball friendly. I'll revisit the situation in 6 months when my time is up.
post #2420 of 2918 Old 04-14-2011, 09:10 PM

Thanks...now the rest of us feel stupid for not trying the same thing. With my luck they will say "nice knowing you, enjoy your satellite". I don't want some hack putting holes into my house for the install and draping sagging wires all over the outside of it.

post #2421 of 2918 Old 04-15-2011, 05:32 AM

Thats the thing Pillboy, you have to be ready to walk. I was totally ready to walk because I thought there was no way they would offer me anything like this.
post #2422 of 2918 Old 04-15-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgie View Post
wow, comcast just really blew me away. my latest bill was 160.00 for preferred, hd/dvr, hbo, and performance internet (44.95 a month one). Decided it was time to save some money.

I came from Dish network a year ago because the lack of MLB network and half the Twins games not in HD. I was willing to give that up and go back to dish since I could get new customer pricing again. Even paying the the 60 bucks a month for internet since i wouldn't have TV anymore, I would be saving about 40 bucks a month.

I do prefer Dish's DVR to comcast, plus I would showtime and playboy free for 3 months. Plus I would get Speed channel in HD without paying extra like comcast.

So I called Comcast tonight and told them i had an appointment Saturday for DISH (which is true), and rather than having them offer me something after I call to cancel and already have DISH hooked up, lets do something about it now. I was put on hold for a few minutes and someone else came on the line.

She asked me what it would take to keep me, and I told her to tell me what they were offering in order to keep me. She came back with everything i have now (about 160.00 a month) for 89.99 for 6 months.

I think I'll take it I will still be able to enjoy MLB network and all the twins games in HD.

Would I prefer the DISH hardware, sure but for the price that Comcast came back with and DISH not being baseball friendly. I'll revisit the situation in 6 months when my time is up.
Borgie, aside from the lack of MLB coverage, was there anything else you didn't like about Dish?

Periocally I hear about the satellite going out during bad weather. Yet others who have it claim outage rarely happens. My cable NEVER goes out - unless of course there is a power outage. Cable has been reliable.
post #2423 of 2918 Old 04-15-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillboy49 View Post
Thanks...now the rest of us feel stupid for not trying the same thing. With my luck they will say "nice knowing you, enjoy your satellite". I don't want some hack putting holes into my house for the install and draping sagging wires all over the outside of it.
And the device itself isn't so attractive, either, lol
post #2424 of 2918 Old 04-15-2011, 03:23 PM

As a former Dish subscriber, I can attest that as long as your dish is aligned properly the the signal is roughly as reliable as cable. There are a couple of times a year that you will lose signal for sure; I forget what the term is but basically in the spring and fall, the sun will get directly behind the satellites and the solar rays will wash out any signal. Very heavy rain may give you a momentary interruption, and if a lot oh heavy wet snow accumulates on the dish that will cause problems as well.

To me they are basically the same level annoyance as having to call Comcast after my boxes flake due to storms. Just another case of "pick your poison"
post #2425 of 2918 Old 04-22-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehren in MN View Post

As a former Dish subscriber, I can attest that as long as your dish is aligned properly the the signal is roughly as reliable as cable. There are a couple of times a year that you will lose signal for sure; I forget what the term is but basically in the spring and fall, the sun will get directly behind the satellites and the solar rays will wash out any signal. Very heavy rain may give you a momentary interruption, and if a lot oh heavy wet snow accumulates on the dish that will cause problems as well.

To me they are basically the same level annoyance as having to call Comcast after my boxes flake due to storms. Just another case of "pick your poison"

My cable boxes have never failed during a storm or weather related incidences. Though I have had issues with my former SA boxes related to other tech problems.

Overall I believe cable is more reliable than dish. And while the dish networks offer sweet upfront promos, once those end the pricing isn't much different.
post #2426 of 2918 Old 04-22-2011, 10:19 AM

Plus we have 3 TVs where we can get 2 through 23 without a STB or a DTA and that is sufficient for where they are located and what they are used for.

post #2427 of 2918 Old 04-22-2011, 03:35 PM

Right. I'm more than happy staying with Comcast, reasons being the inclusion of every Twins game in HD (including replays; Dish is GTO and does about a third in SD due to capacity issues) and the ability to get all the local .2s through my box without any additional hardware. Especially now that their HD offerings are finally on par with the satcos.

Dish's in house DVR does blow my Motorola box out of the water, but notwithstanding it would have to be a damn sweet pot for them to get me to jump back from Comcast.
post #2428 of 2918 Old 04-23-2011, 03:59 AM

Now that you bring up SA boxes. I have the RNG-150s. One of them absolutely refuses to acknowlege my Vizio TV is HDCP so I have to use a component connection. One of them works pretty well but for no reason stated glitching every 5 seconds until I pulled the power and reset it. (I do like that they pass whatever HD format is being broadcast rather than converting it all to either 720P or 1080i). Worth it to ask Comcast to swap them out or are they all flaky? Also my internet will drop out for several minutes at a time; a new router improved but did not totally fix the problem, and once in a while the Cable signal will pixelize and the audio drop out. Worth calling them or will they just come over, see that it looks good to them, and leave and charge me for a truck roll?
post #2429 of 2918 Old 04-23-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdcastleman View Post

Now that you bring up SA boxes. I have the RNG-150s. One of them absolutely refuses to acknowlege my Vizio TV is HDCP so I have to use a component connection. One of them works pretty well but for no reason stated glitching every 5 seconds until I pulled the power and reset it. (I do like that they pass whatever HD format is being broadcast rather than converting it all to either 720P or 1080i). Worth it to ask Comcast to swap them out or are they all flaky? Also my internet will drop out for several minutes at a time; a new router improved but did not totally fix the problem, and once in a while the Cable signal will pixelize and the audio drop out. Worth calling them or will they just come over, see that it looks good to them, and leave and charge me for a truck roll?

I've heard others report that Vizio TVs and comcast boxes don't play well together. Are they the newer RNG150's - the ones w/o the clock?. If not, drive the the nearest cable store yourself and swap them out - no truck roll charge or questions asked.
post #2430 of 2918 Old 04-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdcastleman View Post

Also my internet will drop out for several minutes at a time; a new router improved but did not totally fix the problem, and once in a while the Cable signal will pixelize and the audio drop out. Worth calling them or will they just come over, see that it looks good to them, and leave and charge me for a truck roll?

Sounds like you might have some bad cabling either going to your house/apartment or something in the area needs to be swapped out. Best thing I recommend is to sign up for their in home maintenance which will in essence cover for the truck roll.

And in other things...

Quote:

Where exactly does Comcast put their notices/ads/etc for when channel are added anyways in the paper?

Thanks for the answers folks.

Demolition Man
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page