2Likes

post #2431 of 2928 Old 04-24-2011, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchr View Post

I've heard others report that Vizio TVs and comcast boxes don't play well together. Are they the newer RNG150's - the ones w/o the clock?. If not, drive the the nearest cable store yourself and swap them out - no truck roll charge or questions asked.

There is no clock on them. I picked them up in November and they weren't any kind of packaging but looked brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post

Sounds like you might have some bad cabling either going to your house/apartment or something in the area needs to be swapped out. Best thing I recommend is to sign up for their in home maintenance which will in essence cover for the truck roll

The cable in my house is pretty good, the drop outside is 25 yeras old and water gets into it in the winter; I'm just wondering if they'll measure signal strength at the entrance of even just replace the drop if I ask them to or if they'll walk inside, see the internet and TV are currently working, and leave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2928 Old 04-25-2011, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdcastleman View Post

There is no clock on them. I picked them up in November and they weren't any kind of packaging but looked brand new.

The cable in my house is pretty good, the drop outside is 25 yeras old and water gets into it in the winter; I'm just wondering if they'll measure signal strength at the entrance of even just replace the drop if I ask them to or if they'll walk inside, see the internet and TV are currently working, and leave.

Even if you don't sign up for the home maintenance plan Xfinity is still responsible for making sure you have good signal to your house. It is INSIDE your house the plan covers.

I would have them come out. If your drop is really 25 years old my guess is that they'll run a full new drop to your house for no charge.
post #2433 of 2928 Old 04-26-2011, 07:34 PM

Is anyone else having any problems with getting ClearQAM channels without a cable box? At home I have two HDTVs, both of them with ATSC and ClearQAM tuners, connected directly to coax (no cable box involved, we just have the $14/month basic TV package). I can get all of the local channels in HD (2.1, 4.1, etc) along with their subchannels (2.2, 2.3, etc.), with the exception of 45.1 (KSTC). Both TVs try to tune it in but eventually give up with an error along the lines of "no signal" or "signal could not be decoded". And oddly enough, while 45.1 doesn't work, 45.2 still does. If it helps, I'm in the Roseville area.

Thanks!
post #2434 of 2928 Old 04-26-2011, 09:47 PM

I had that exact problem, had a guy come out and replace a splitter in our wall, then they tried to charge me $27 for it. But I got the charge reversed, and the channel got fixed.

Are you having any problems getting 238/812 on your box?

EDIT. I saw after the fact you have just Basic 1. But my reasoning stil stands; I think 45.1 is on a super high frequency, and old splitters may not pass it.
post #2435 of 2928 Old 04-27-2011, 09:13 AM

Comcast keeps messing with the Clear QAM channel mapping and now 45.1 is showing up on 7.2 (you might have to rescan to get it). I have several HDTV's tuning Clear QAM HD channels and all of them lost 45.1, but now have it on 7.2. One of my HDTV's (Insignia) also lost 41.1 and found it again on 98-9. Comcast just needs to fix the channel mapping again.
post #2436 of 2928 Old 04-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Makes me wonder if Comcast is moving stuff around so they can put new channels in.

Demolition Man
Fan of New England/Boston & Minnesota teams!
post #2437 of 2928 Old 04-27-2011, 06:47 PM

Well, of course, after I post in here about it channel 45.1 starts working again (though I did notice that Comcast has it erroneously labeled as "KSCT-DT"). I think I'll chalk this up to just being another example of Comcast's service quality. If I lose again for several days in a row, I'll try a channel rescan. Thanks folks!
post #2438 of 2928 Old 04-28-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Makes me wonder if Comcast is moving stuff around so they can put new channels in.
Since there are currently many duplicated channels (at least in the SLP area) I think Comcast is still moving channels around.
post #2439 of 2928 Old 04-30-2011, 06:56 AM

So, yesterday I received via usmail (and an email 2 days ago) comcast material welcoming me to my new tv guide. Also has a booklet outlining the new procedures for the dvr. Apparently I don't need to do anything to receive the update as it will happen through software/signal.

Anyone else receive this in the SLP or surrounding areas?

It didn't give an ETA when the software upgrade would happen, just "soon".
post #2440 of 2928 Old 04-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Nothing here for me on that. Is there any chance that booklet could be posted on here?

Demolition Man
post #2441 of 2928 Old 04-30-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:

So, yesterday I received via usmail (and an email 2 days ago) comcast material welcoming me to my new tv guide. Also has a booklet outlining the new procedures for the dvr. Apparently I don't need to do anything to receive the update as it will happen through software/signal.

What new features did it mention?

VVV Nice! Glad to see the SA folks finally getting some love from Comcast.
post #2442 of 2928 Old 04-30-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Nothing here for me on that. Is there any chance that booklet could be posted on here?

Here is basically the same info included in the printed material:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/meetyourguide/
post #2443 of 2928 Old 04-30-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Had they been using TVGOS before for the guide? I wonder if it's the same stream as used by devices like a Sony DHG DVR or a separate feed? If the same they'll for sure be taking more care on keeping it working and up to date I wonder if it will help with the consistency of the analog version which is currently working but I don't put much faith in it staying that way.
post #2444 of 2928 Old 05-02-2011, 10:07 AM

So on Saturday I get a letter from Comcast stating that their records show the modem I am currently renting (the only one I have ever had...for years) is not capable of the download speeds I am entitled to (or now able to) receive with my current service level. (I am paraphrasing here as I don't have said leter in front of me.) I am instructed to call them for a replacement - I believe a self-install kit or something like that was mentioned in the letter.

I wonder how long I have been receiving less than what I have been paying for?

Perfection is unattainable.
post #2445 of 2928 Old 05-02-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillboy49 View Post

So on Saturday I get a letter from Comcast stating that their records show the modem I am currently renting (the only one I have ever had...for years) is not capable of the download speeds I am entitled to (or now able to) receive with my current service level. (I am paraphrasing here as I don't have said leter in front of me.) I am instructed to call them for a replacement - I believe a self-install kit or something like that was mentioned in the letter.

I wonder how long I have been receiving less than what I have been paying for?

Which plan do you have?

I think the final upgrade to DOC 3 has been complete for about 2 months now. Do you ever complete a speed test ~ speedtest.net? That should tell you what you are receiving (run several) vs what you're paying for...
post #2446 of 2928 Old 05-03-2011, 07:08 PM

I can't find any name on the modem, but it was from Time Warner when I first signed up for Roadrunner service. It looks like the attached picture.

I currently have 12mbps service.
LL

post #2447 of 2928 Old 05-03-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillboy49 View Post

I can't find any name on the modem, but it was from Time Warner when I first signed up for Roadrunner service. It looks like the attached picture.

I currently have 12mbps service.

12mbps is well within spec for even DOCSIS 1.0, but it may just be that they're not maintaining that model anymore. I'd pick up a Motorola SB5101 and stop paying them the monthly fee.
post #2448 of 2928 Old 05-09-2011, 02:44 PM

In SLP today we just got a phone call saying that the old guide was going to be updated tonight. So tomorrow morning all of us in the Southwest metro should have the new guide ready to go.

On another note, I'm sick of paying comcast the $7 modem rental fee. Any recommendations on a good modem that works on comcast network?
post #2449 of 2928 Old 05-09-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNels87 View Post

In SLP today we just got a phone call saying that the old guide was going to be updated tonight. So tomorrow morning all of us in the Southwest metro should have the new guide ready to go.

On another note, I'm sick of paying comcast the $7 modem rental fee. Any recommendations on a good modem that works on comcast network?

Yep, I'm in SLP as well and received the recorded message. I've been using the Motorola SB6120 modem since early 2010. Works perfectly. I have the "blast" speeds...
post #2450 of 2928 Old 05-09-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNels87 View Post

Did you look at the post right before yours?

Here's the Motorola SB6120 if you prefer that.
post #2451 of 2928 Old 05-10-2011, 09:00 AM

The new guide is up and running in St. Louis Park. I didn't have much time this morning to investigate its features. Pass through has been eliminated, although that was known to me coming in and it will return in a later version.

My biggest issue right now is the guide is designed for a 4:3 aspect ratio, but is stretched when viewed on a 16:9 screen. That creates pixelation and makes the guide look as bad as its predecessor to a certain extent.
post #2452 of 2928 Old 05-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarr View Post

Did you look at the post right before yours?

Here's the Motorola SB6120 if you prefer that.

As someone who has had the 6120 for over an year I can attest to it being worth getting. Especially since the 6120 uses four separate frequencies for connection instead of one like the lower end modems do. Comes really in handy for higher bandwidth stuff like Netflix along with gaming.

Demolition Man
post #2453 of 2928 Old 05-11-2011, 05:06 AM

The guide has been updated on my Cisco box, but not on my 2 SA boxes. Also, the guide seems to have primitive and very blocky graphics. It even looks to be a step down from the previous guide. Maybe I should be glad the SA boxes did not update.
post #2454 of 2928 Old 05-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Advanced Member

From my Comcast bill:

Quote:
Starting 6/6/11, Comcast will preview ShopNBC on Ch. 80 and Jewelry TV on Ch. 81, as part of our Basic Digital lineup. All you need is Basic and a digital converter. The services will move from Preferred to Basic Digital on 6/28/11 and will no longer be on Chs. 280 and 282.

Exactly what we need is another two shopping networks. Excuse me while I go bang my head against an brickwall.

Demolition Man
post #2455 of 2928 Old 05-12-2011, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Exactly what we need is another two shopping networks. Excuse me while I go bang my head against an brickwall.

Honestly, I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner. These channels pay to be on Comcast, and the more homes they can be in, the more money Comcast makes. I always thought that they weren't on basic before simply because of bandwidth, which is no longer a concern since they take up the same bandwidth as they would on Preferred.
post #2456 of 2928 Old 05-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnxmfan View Post

Honestly, I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner. These channels pay to be on Comcast, and the more homes they can be in, the more money Comcast makes. I always thought that they weren't on basic before simply because of bandwidth, which is no longer a concern since they take up the same bandwidth as they would on Preferred.

It just seems ironic that a channel called ShopNBC is moved to Basic after the NBC buyout.

Demolition Man
post #2457 of 2928 Old 05-12-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Yep, I'm in SLP as well and received the recorded message. I've been using the Motorola SB6120 modem since early 2010. Works perfectly. I have the "blast" speeds...

Just ordered it.

post #2458 of 2928 Old 05-12-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports_Realist View Post

The new guide is up and running in St. Louis Park. I didn't have much time this morning to investigate its features. Pass through has been eliminated, although that was known to me coming in and it will return in a later version.

My biggest issue right now is the guide is designed for a 4:3 aspect ratio, but is stretched when viewed on a 16:9 screen. That creates pixelation and makes the guide look as bad as its predecessor to a certain extent.

That is strange. It doesn't do that on my Motorola. But I have it configured NOT to stretch 4x3 content. (Leave the bars on the sides.)
post #2459 of 2928 Old 05-12-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Looking to purchase a Docsis 3.0 cable modem that's also compatible with Comcast's phone service (eMTA). Your recommendations (or a list of compatible models) would be greatly appreciated.
post #2460 of 2928 Old 05-12-2011, 03:30 PM

Does anybody else absolutely hate the new programming guide? It's slow an clunky and you have to page through the spam at the bottom of the screen when scrolling up and down channel by channel. The old one wasn't pretty but it got the job done better.

So is it true that the SA boxes only output 1080i now, not 720P in addition. (Is that what people mean by pass-through being taken a way. If so I'm running out and cancelling service as this is absolutely, completely unacceptable to me to have the 720P channels mauled like this.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page