1Likes

post #2461 of 2925 Old 05-12-2011, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaumgart View Post
Looking to purchase a Docsis 3.0 cable modem that's also compatible with Comcast's phone service (eMTA). Your recommendations (or a list of compatible models) would be greatly appreciated.
Here's Comcasts list of all currently approved cable modems and EMTA devices.
http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2925 Old 05-12-2011, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post
Sadly it does not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
Here's Comcasts list of all currently approved cable modems and EMTA devices.
http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/
Thanks, I did see that but was looking for a Motorola "SBV" model, either the 6220 or 6240, but neither appears on this list. I think I'll go to Best Buy and see what they have.
post #2463 of 2925 Old 05-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
The Motorola SB6120 is fully compatable with DOCSIS 3.0. Its available at Best Buy, Newegg, etc.

Demolition Man
Fan of New England/Boston & Minnesota teams!
post #2464 of 2925 Old 05-12-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Motorola SB6120 is fully compatable with DOCSIS 3.0. Its available at Best Buy, Newegg, etc.

I need a modem that also supports Comcast's phone service. I called Motorola's Customer Service, and they said their SBV models were likely compatible, but suggested I verify that they are with my local Comcast office. So I then called Comcast and their rep (who seemed pretty knowledgeable) referred me to the list, which doesn't show the SBV models so he couldn't guarantee they would work either...He then suggested I go to a Best Buy store as they apparently have kiosks set up where you can purchase such items that are proven to be compatible!
post #2465 of 2925 Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

I'm renting the Comcast box for phone service. You can have the phone and internet boxes in use separately without any issue.

Demolition Man
post #2466 of 2925 Old 05-12-2011, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm renting the Comcast box for phone service. You can have the phone and internet boxes in use separately without any issue.

Good to know, but the reason I am looking to purchase a modem is to eliminate the monthly rental charge, which is currently $3.50/month.
post #2467 of 2925 Old 05-14-2011, 10:14 PM

Liked: 11
I'm looking to add Comcast Digital Voice to my Comcast Internet and TV packages in hopes of saving some money. I have some questions

1) Comparing what I have today with what the Triple Play bundles offer, it looks like the Xfinity Preferred Plus Bundle, listed at $169.99 (for Eagan area) would be the correct package. Looking online, I -think- I could get an introductory rate for that package for $139.99 for a while. Any tips on how to get a good deal -- ideally for at least a year? Should I try to do this online? Order via an 800 number? Drive over to St. Paul? Will I be charged an installation fee? Is it negotiable?

2) Today I have two TiVoHD units, each with a cable card from Comcast. I don't have any Comcast cable boxes or other hardware. Is this going to confuse Comcast when trying to move to the Triple Play?

3) I own a Motorola SB6120 cable modem. I understand I'll need a new Cable Modem/EMTA. At $7.00/month, it looks like I'd pay for a $150 EMTA in about 22 months. Not sure which way to go there. Any input from the forum? I wish I could keep my SB6120 for data, and have a separate device (for less money) just to peel off the phone service. I'd put it in a different location than where my cable modem is located.

Thanks for any input!

John
post #2468 of 2925 Old 05-15-2011, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnOCFII View Post

Thanks for any input!

If all you're adding is digital phone to your existing Comcast package, you may want to look into Vonage or something similar. I have Comcast internet and have Vonage service using a Motorola SB5120 modem with no problems. I'm on the 200 minute plan for $9.99 and after taxes the total cost is $14.87. I think they offer an unlimited plan for $24.99 and a 500 minute plan for $17.99.
post #2469 of 2925 Old 05-17-2011, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We had the new guide this morning in Richfield, MN. I set it up for HD and all shows were broadcast in 480 so called Comcast and they said the box needed to be changed to a HDMI capable box. I searched online and found out I had to set it to 1080 for all shows. I wish Comcast had told me this before they decided to send out a new box ...hmm
post #2470 of 2925 Old 05-17-2011, 12:58 PM

The new guide is a POS. It can not determine new shows from old, and I can not record just a specific time slot for each day. This is a huge step down and the graphics are 1990's blocky. Terrible *cough* upgrade.
post #2471 of 2925 Old 05-17-2011, 04:58 PM

Odd. Guide update last night completely and utterly killed the Explorer 8300HD I was using. Nothing would bring it back to life so I had to go swap it out and was given an RNG200. Hopefully this one doesn't die too lol.
post #2472 of 2925 Old 05-18-2011, 04:36 AM

Yup us too - we were on the phone 4 times yesterday - about the 1080 480 thing. Then we were watching Fox Soccer and it said we need to contact them to authorize the channel - did it 5 times during the game. Finally we heard a ping and the entire screen was colored red - had sound and picture. We called them again and they told us to go to the store and replace the box. We got a RNG200N to replace the 8300HD too. It took them a while to authorize it when we got home too. Hopefully today is better.
post #2473 of 2925 Old 05-18-2011, 09:12 AM

This loaded up yesterday for me in Eden Prairie. I think it's horrendous and it's likely going to move towards another Tivo. I don't post here often but I came to this thread expecting to see much more activity regarding the new interface. Frankly I'm surprised that there isn't more outrage about it. Here are the problems I found from using it last night:

No PIP anymore
It did not save all of my scheduled programs from previous UI
Nearly impossible to figure out how to set up season pass recordings
Can't figure out how to change days in the guide
Circle, traingle, square buttons on remote don't really apply anymore
Ugly stretched pixelation and resolution is too small. It started out showing only three channels per screen in the guide. I changed the menu settings and have it up to five now, but it's still cumbersome
Advertising at the bottom of the guide now

I don't see how this qualifies as an "upgrade". The old guide was ugly and 4:3 but at least it worked correctly. Another stike against Comcast/Xfinity.
post #2474 of 2925 Old 05-18-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rej4sl View Post

Yup us too - we were on the phone 4 times yesterday - about the 1080 480 thing. Then we were watching Fox Soccer and it said we need to contact them to authorize the channel - did it 5 times during the game. Finally we heard a ping and the entire screen was colored red - had sound and picture. We called them again and they told us to go to the store and replace the box. We got a RNG200N to replace the 8300HD too. It took them a while to authorize it when we got home too. Hopefully today is better.

Which office did you get the RNG200N from?

I was looking for one last week and they said they did not have those in yet.
post #2475 of 2925 Old 05-18-2011, 11:19 AM

They have them in the Richfield Office which is :-
6505 Nicollet Avenue
Richfield, MN 55423
post #2476 of 2925 Old 05-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

I don't get why Comcast continues to push this "update" when its pretty unanimous that people are very upset at how crippled this "update" is making things overall. Oh wait... its Comcast. Therefore this is pretty much typical for them to IGNORE the paying customers complaints and just go forward with whatever they are planning to do.

Demolition Man
post #2477 of 2925 Old 05-19-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I don't get why Comcast continues to push this "update" when its pretty unanimous that people are very upset at how crippled this "update" is making things overall. Oh wait... its Comcast. Therefore this is pretty much typical for them to IGNORE the paying customers complaints and just go forward with whatever they are planning to do.

I understand why. It is an interim step until the full-featured version with fixes for most of these issues people are reporting gets deployed.
post #2478 of 2925 Old 05-19-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rej4sl View Post

They have them in the Richfield Office which is :-
6505 Nicollet Avenue
Richfield, MN 55423

Thanks. I was at the Minnetonka office last week. Maybe they have them now, but I should just drive over to the Richfield office and pick one up since they for sure have them in stock.
post #2479 of 2925 Old 05-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

I understand why. It is an interim step until the full-featured version with fixes for most of these issues people are reporting gets deployed.

Then why not hold off on releasing the "update" until the full version is ready. I can understand if this was an open source program that one is getting for free but this is Comcast you know a company that you have to pay MONEY to use their services. People who are effected by this "update" are having the usability of their services hindered which to me there's no excuse when one is PAYING MONEY to use said services.

Demolition Man
post #2480 of 2925 Old 05-21-2011, 05:01 AM

Just noticed as a poster mentioned that PIP is also gone. This is nothing but a downgrade in my opinion. User functionality has decreased and the GUI is back to the 80's. Overall a VERY disappointing change. It seems the old Time Warner guide was much much better.
post #2481 of 2925 Old 05-21-2011, 07:59 PM

Yeah. What features are coming that I could possibly want? I don't have digital phone because I don't need long distance and I like my phone to work during power outages so I'll never need CID to TV. I don't ever order on-demand so the spam at the bottom of the screen is useless. I want my 720P.
post #2482 of 2925 Old 05-21-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theFormula View Post

Can't figure out how to change days in the guide
Circle, traingle, square buttons on remote don't really apply anymore

When using the guide, the square (B) and circle (C) change the days.

I found the display completely blank on my Explorer 8300 HDC again today (first time was the morning after the upgrade). I had to unplug it and plug it in again. This will get to be annoying in short order.

Perfection is unattainable.
post #2483 of 2925 Old 05-22-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post

If all you're adding is digital phone to your existing Comcast package, you may want to look into Vonage or something similar.

Thanks to the marketing value of the Triple Play options (and to mentioning Qwest's new higher-speed bundles), I was able to add the Comcast voice service while lowering by bill by $3.00 month. On top of that I can eliminate the Qwest local and third party LD service I had, saving me on average $45/month.

We'll see what the bill looks like when it actually arrives, but due to the automatic transcript when ordering via Comcast Chat, I think I've got the numbers correct.
post #2484 of 2925 Old 05-23-2011, 01:52 PM

Just got off the phone with Comcast.

New Motorola SB6120 is now functioning. Just as easy and simple as you guys said.

Thanks for "making" me get off my behind and finally do this.

post #2485 of 2925 Old 05-23-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillboy49 View Post

Just got off the phone with Comcast.

New Motorola SB6120 is now functioning. Just as easy and simple as you guys said.

Thanks for "making" me get off my behind and finally do this.

Good to hear. You're going to love your SB6120. Works like a dream with both my PC and my MAC powerbook. Wifi on cellphones work great with it too...
post #2486 of 2925 Old 05-26-2011, 12:42 PM

Man, still hating on the new program guide. I really hope comcast upgrades this prehistoric guide soon. Now when I try and tape new episodes of shows it will tape the same show 2 or 3 times. Frustrating as heck.
post #2487 of 2925 Old 05-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

You know I have to post it here...

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/66/un...to-hd-coverage

Now hurry up Comcast and tell me when it'll be available.

Demolition Man
post #2488 of 2925 Old 06-09-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Apparently IN DEMAND, partly owned by Comcast, is promising 9 HD feeds for next NHLCI season. Of course, whether local Comcast has the bandwidth for it is a different question.

You guys will have to let me know what they do. It's still a far cry from DirecTV's HD hockey coverage for CI (often you get both home and away feeds in HD even for a relatively full schedule), but it's a big step in the right direction if local Comcast takes all 9.

IN DEMAND is promising 9 for NBALP too (a separate 9 from the NHL ones).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2489 of 2925 Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

That might be enough for me to buy MLS Direct Kick next year if Comcast can add those nine HD channels.

Demolition Man
post #2490 of 2925 Old 06-09-2011, 07:50 PM

I am getting audio dropouts again on the system with the A/V receiver, but this time with the SA Explorer 3250HD box. It has been happening quite regularly on SPEED HD, but goes away when I change to a different channel.

I am thinking about bypassing my Electroline Drop Amp which I installed to get rid of a different problem (that's another story), to see if it may be the cause of this issue. The last time I had a Comcrap tech out, he said the Electroline was a quality piece, but he put an attenuator on the line going to the cable box (we only had one at that time) because he said the signal was a little overboosted.

Does anyone know where I can get a QUALITY 8 port splitter that is not a signal booster?

Thanks.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page