AVS Forum banner

Minneapolis, MN - Comcast

415K views 3K replies 272 participants last post by  JBaumgart 
#1 ·
All -

I figured I'd jump in and start a thread since I didn't see anything. It looks like Comcast is getting ready to roll out HDTV in the area. I called and all they could do is put me on a notification list... no channel list or pricing yet. Anyone have further info?

I'm curious as to how quick this will go down because I just purchased an OTA receiver. If I can get most of the programming with Comcast and don't need the antenna and extra STB I may take it back.

For those of you from other regions, how quick did Comcast roll out HDTV after the "coming soon" advertising appeared?

So let's hear it!

Cheers!

Brad

#2,155 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM in MN /forum/post/19573756

Hey all, sorry if this is OT, but I have a new HDTV coming Friday (Got a Mits 65" DLP from Dell for 729 shipped, woot) and need a cheap local source for HDMI cables as it's too late to order online.

Any ideas?

Not really, I've found it's still cheaper to order from monoprice.com using 2 day or USPS priority.

#2,156 ·

Quote:

Hey all, sorry if this is OT, but I have a new HDTV coming Friday (Got a Mits 65" DLP from Dell for 729 shipped, woot) and need a cheap local source for HDMI cables as it's too late to order online.

Any ideas?

I've ordered cable from these

http://www.mycablemart.com/

guys before. Their warehouse is near 494 and Highway 5 in Eden Prarie (about 3 miles west). You can order online and choose to pick up at the warehouse. The warehouse is only open until like 4:00 or 5:00 PM, though.

#2,159 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclfoxtrot /forum/post/19562457

Well, guess we will just have to see if the channel additions and the price increase comes at the same time.

The price increase will come regardless of service level change. Sure, they may promote the increase with "Over the last year we have added 70 HD channels" or whatever, but the fact is, if the price is going up in January, it's going to go up regardless.

Now, if they add an HD charge, you might be on to something, but they certainly won't raise EVERYONE's rates because a select number has more HD channels (remember, not everyone has HD hardware yet, shocker I know).

Also, as others have pointed out, they have been adding HD channels to cities in this market since March, with no price increase. And, IIRC, they still have a few cities left, including Minneapolis.

#2,161 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnw /forum/post/19574390

I saw the new HD channels in Bloomington this morning also, time to learn the new HD channels. I just wonder with the double copies of channels like ESPN, CNN would the old ones be removed so all of HD is in the 800s.

I'm going to guess that they won't be, until the channel realignment happens here sometime (next year?). That realignment will put all the HD channels in the 1000's (exactly 1000 above the SD version, so 4 HD would be 1004 in the new lineup).

It's not like they are taking up any bandwidth, as they can map the same chunk of bandwidth to as many channel numbers as they want to.

I am glad that they are duplicating them in the 800s, because now on my Tivo, I can remove all the 400's, and keep all but the locals organized in the 800's.

#2,162 ·

Quote:

I saw the new HD channels in Bloomington this morning also, time to learn the new HD channels. I just wonder with the double copies of channels like ESPN, CNN would the old ones be removed so all of HD is in the 800s.

The entire TC area will be moved to Comcast's new national channel line-up sometime after the WoM upgrade is complete.

#2,164 ·

Quote:

The doubles are still in place in the Blaine area. Its not like as if the doubles are taking extra bandwidth anyways since they all go to the same frequency. I just wish the local channels would get mapped to the 800s so I can quit needing to remember they are in the 230 area.

#2,166 ·
Thanks for the advice on the HDMI cables guys, I placed the order.

On another note, I'm still using the old 6412 DVR and will be swapping it out at the Brooklyn Center Comcast office tomorrow. I believe we got a 3420 three years ago for the family room, is that still the best I can hope for?

#2,168 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM in MN /forum/post/19576249

Thanks for the advice on the HDMI cables guys, I placed the order.

On another note, I'm still using the old 6412 DVR and will be swapping it out at the Brooklyn Center Comcast office tomorrow. I believe we got a 3420 three years ago for the family room, is that still the best I can hope for?

The 34xx series are ALL 3400s (the xx no longer indicates the hard drive size like it did with the 64xx series) -- there is a sticker on the bottom or back of each unit that shows the hard drive size.

#2,169 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 /forum/post/19576670

The 34xx series are ALL 3400s (the xx no longer indicates the hard drive size like it did with the 64xx series) -- there is a sticker on the bottom or back of each unit that shows the hard drive size.

Thanks blitz, so no change in three years? Can't say i'm surprised. Better than what I have though.

#2,171 ·

Quote:

Any ideas?

I agree with MP(or BlueJeansCables) links to both at the top of your page, but in a pinch Menards isn't too bad. Currently they have pretty decent Philips 6' HDMI cables for $5.99. I think the normal price is something like $7.99.

Back in the twincitieshdtv.com days people used to report driving to somewhere in Eden Prairie for sub $5 HDMI cables. Not sure if that company is still around or even the name, maybe someone else does.

#2,172 ·
We don't have anything cheap in Eden Prairie. We don't even (currently) have a Menards. I have been happy with any of the Philips cables I have purchased over time (have not tried their HDMI though).

#2,173 ·
I believe it was a internet company with headquarters in EP. They would sell product at their warehouse, I just can't remember the name and I personally never purchased from them.

edit: Googled EP and HDMI and came up with this company, I think it may be the one I was thinking about. MP was always cheaper but for a few cables figuring in shipping many times it was cheaper to go local.

#2,176 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 /forum/post/19576670

Gots me a 3416, no sticker on the bottom, guess I'll assume it's at least 160GB and hope for more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.