AVS Forum banner

Minneapolis, MN - Comcast

415K views 3K replies 272 participants last post by  JBaumgart 
#1 ·
All -

I figured I'd jump in and start a thread since I didn't see anything. It looks like Comcast is getting ready to roll out HDTV in the area. I called and all they could do is put me on a notification list... no channel list or pricing yet. Anyone have further info?

I'm curious as to how quick this will go down because I just purchased an OTA receiver. If I can get most of the programming with Comcast and don't need the antenna and extra STB I may take it back.

For those of you from other regions, how quick did Comcast roll out HDTV after the "coming soon" advertising appeared?

So let's hear it!

Cheers!

Brad

#2,179 ·
Comcast is adding the below channels to their Albuquerque system on December 16th. We should get the ones we don't have here yet soon.

OOoooOOooo.... CSPAN HD I.......am now complete....

Galavision HD

CSPAN HD

Big Ten Network HD

Sportsman Channel HD

Fox Soccer Channel HD

Bloomberg HD

Cooking Channel HD

hub HD

DIY HD

GSN HD

Sprout HD

Sundance Channel HD

Reelz HD

Crime & Investigation HD

Nat Geo Wild HD Journal

http://www.publicnoticeads.com/NM/se...0_14986352.HTM

#2,181 ·
FYI...

For those of you that don't normally watch "Storm Chasers" on Discovery HD, you may want to check out this season's final episode. See the synopsis below. It will be replayed -- watch for it.

Episode 8: Judgment Day

Premiered: Dec. 1 at 10 PM

Storm and chasers collide in Minnesota for a final showdown. As a ferocious EF-4 twister targets the town of Wadena, one team finds themselves in the wrong place at the right time, and Sean's trial by fire becomes a race to save others.

#2,188 ·
So why am I getting Speed HD on channel 878? I have so far refused to fork over another few bucks per month for this crappy package of stick and ball channels just to get Speed. Is this just a promotional thing they do to get people hooked in hopes they sign up for it when they eventually yank it?

I didn't really mean to offend anyone as sports is just not my thing, but I am a gear head. My elderly mother in a one-horse town in southern Minnesota was getting Speed at no additional charge from Frontier for crying out loud.

#2,189 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM in MN /forum/post/19582123

Sorry for all the posts here, getting a new TV will do this to a guy...since I've got a 3D ready TV coming, has anybody tried the Comcast 3D content yet?

Also -- if anybody has a Mitsu 3D TV, what are you doing for the glasses? Not looking to spend 300 on the Mitsu 3D starter kit...

Good luck with your TV. We have a 60" and a 65" from the 2009 models. I wrote the FAQ here (with help from the owners thread, of course) on those.

Look out for geometry issues on those initially, as that's the biggie that is typically wrong with the Mits DLPs OOB. Also, consider a cheap 3rd-party warranty. At that price for the TV, I think you can get a 5 year (1st year manufacturer plus 4 year extended) for around $135. That's much cheaper than what UE or Mits would try to sell you a warranty for. You can also wait a few months before you purchase one.

I bought the adapter separately and two pair of xpand dlp-link glasses for about $300, but then at the time the 3D-kit was going for $399.

My FAQ for the 2009's is here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post17396070

If you have a C10 or a 638 from the 2010s (and at that price, you probably do), it is still pretty closeish, and has links to 3rd party warranties in the "General" section.

#2,191 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man /forum/post/19600943

So.... who enjoyed that wonderful Comcast internet service outage due to DNS server issues?

Not me.

Didn't go down for me. Long ago, I switched my DNS provider from Comcast to opendns.com. It's completely free, makes my internet faster and safer, and their website makes it easy for even the technically challenged to change it.

Since the issue was a DNS one, I was able to read all the stories on the local websites about the outage, during the outage.

#2,192 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man /forum/post/19600943

So.... who enjoyed that wonderful Comcast internet service outage due to DNS server issues?

Not me.

So that's what it was. Restarted system, modem, router, iPhone to wireless network all to no avail. Sure enough the local comcast service number had a busy signal. Figured there was an area problem. Didn't bother trying the 800 number.

#2,193 ·
Yeah, we were done most of of the evening. Came back on a little before midnight.

#2,194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by georule /forum/post/19601819

Yeah, we were done most of of the evening. Came back on a little before midnight.

I was pissed. I reported the first signs of the issue yestrday morning around 9:00 am. They denied there was a system problem and said it must be at my end so they scheduled a truck roll. They called me back around 4:00 pm and said they resolved a system "noise" issue. I could acccess sites again more reliably so I had them cancel the truck roll. Then everything went down compeltely around 6:30 PM or so.

#2,195 ·
I was just thinking the other day that Comcast's internet service has gotten more reliable (which it has) than it used to be...hopefully we won't see a repeat of last night for a long time.

#2,196 ·
Having alternate DNS services set up on your devices or router is never a bad thing. Comcast's DNS has had issues for me before, and I'm sure it will again.

I highly recommend this tool if you're interested in figuring out which alternate DNS servers would give you the best performance.

If you set up alternates, next time Comcast's DNS server goes down, you won't even notice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.