Minneapolis, MN - Comcast - Page 97 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #2881 of 2968 Old 01-06-2014, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post

XFINITY has a Showtime Free Preview on now through Jan 8th.

http://info.xfinity.com/Portal/content/CIM/SiteUpdates/2012/01January/11266_Showtime.aspx?uh=-3274028306447247887&siteNodeId=25658&b=227772[/quote

Not working here, wonder if this is outdated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 2968 Old 01-06-2014, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 26
well in the link it says 01 January 2012 and usually freeviews are on weekends...go back 2 years and yeah the 8th would have been on a Sunday
post #2883 of 2968 Old 01-07-2014, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnxmfan View Post

Quote:

XFINITY has a Showtime Free Preview on now through Jan 8th.

http://info.xfinity.com/Portal/content/CIM/SiteUpdates/2012/01January/11266_Showtime.aspx?uh=-3274028306447247887&siteNodeId=25658&b=227772[/quote

Not working here, wonder if this is outdated?

It works for me.

I came across the link from Twitter. Its On Demand only. Its not like past years were they let you have access to all of their channels. They're only allowing On Demand access for a couple of episodes and only for certain shows, Episodes, House of Lies and Homeland.

This is the first time I tried On Demand so maybe this is just normal access to these shows. I found them under Free Preview section under Premium Channels USING MY TIVO.

Here is the Twitter feed where I found the link.
https://twitter.com/freepreviewtv
post #2884 of 2968 Old 01-11-2014, 12:38 PM

Free Preview (ON DEMAND ONLY) of HBO & Cinemax on Comcast Xfinity – January 10-13.

Works using my TiVo Roamio. Using the Xfinity On Demand app on the TiVo look for the Free Preview HBO and MAX section .

http://www.freepreview.tv/hbo/big-free-preview-of-hbo-cinemax-this-weekend-for-many-providers.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FreePreviewTV+%28FreePreview.TV%29
post #2885 of 2968 Old 01-16-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post

Ugh...I had been getting free locals over Comcast cable for about 4 years, but no more, thanks to the new encryption scheme for all channels.

I really hate to have to go back to OTA, since my house is pretty far from having line-of-sight to Shoreview. I've got a hill and several tall trees to contend with. I've used OTA here in the past, with varying success, but I'll take what I can get for the time being. Live sports and PBS are my only uses for non-streamed/non-downloaded TV at this point.

Can I get a cablecard for the "free" package? I absolutely refuse to get the DTA boxes and have to capture the output. I've been using Windows 7 MCE as a PVR/HTPC and I'm not interested in giving that up.

It really pisses me off that the FCC has allowed cable companies to "break" compatibility with so many devices/displays out there. This is not in the consumer's best interest. I guess we're a long way away from hoping that the consumer's view might be represented by the FCC, though, aren't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclfoxtrot View Post

Hmmmm....still okay in Eden Prairie. Talk about a waste of electricity and money. Have to rent a friggin box that is plugged in all day long just to get basic cable. Whose grand idea was this anyways? Really don't care for those ugly antennas on the roof and doubt most indoor antennas would work out. One step forward, two steps back.

Just an FYI for you guys who seem to indicate OTA would be sufficient for your needs if you could pull in the signal.

Given your stated locations of St. Paul & Eden Prairie, there is a very high likelihood that you should be able to easily get great OTA reception with the right antenna. I used to live in St. Paul and got great reception with an RCA ANT 751 in my attic. Moved to Eagan, down in a valley behind hills and trees with no LOS and had to upgrade to a CM 4228 in my attic, but now get far BETTER HD reception on far MORE channels than I previously got from Comcast Basic Cable.

I easily pull in all the network channels, PBS, and assorted others, including ION 41, which comes from towers 49 miles away from me in St. Cloud. More specifically, I pull in more than 60 channels now, and if they're broadcasting in HD, I get it in HD - no compressed BS like Comcast sent down their pipes, after charging you MORE for HD! Granted, many of them are channels I won't watch, like shopping channels and lots of religious channels, but the point is that it is very possible to pull in lots of local channels without huge, unsightly antennas on your roof.

My cost to do this was less than $100 to buy the antenna, RG6 cable and run that from my attic to the TV. Ongoing monthly cost: $ 0.

Hard to beat it on price! cool.gif

The only downside I see is that it does not include channels like ESPN or other premium channels that you may now consider "must haves." Sometimes it's hard to break the gazillion channel addiction. But for those (like me and you, Noah) who are content with the major networks and PBS, just know that if you're in the main Twin Cities metro area, the right antenna even in your attic and you should have an excellent chance of getting excellent FREE OTA HD TV.

For those who may be interested, go to this link at TVFool, enter your address, and it will give you an excellent idea of exactly which channels you might expect to receive with various antenna types.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #2886 of 2968 Old 01-16-2014, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

I pull in more than 60 channels now, .

What non Twin Cities channels are you getting? I'm in the SW burbs and I when I scan I get 48 channels total (including the duplicate MN channel on 23-7 and 13 analog). Use to get KEYC Mankato when I lived elsewhere but now its just the Minneapolis stations
post #2887 of 2968 Old 01-16-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post

What non Twin Cities channels are you getting? I'm in the SW burbs and I when I scan I get 48 channels total (including the duplicate MN channel on 23-7 and 13 analog). Use to get KEYC Mankato when I lived elsewhere but now its just the Minneapolis stations

I looked it up to answer your question, and see I "only" get 48 channels as well, including:

2-1,2,3,4 TPT PBS
4-1 wcco CBS
5-1,2,3,4,5,6,7 KSTP ABC
9-1,2 KMSP Fox
11-1,2 KARE NBC
16-1,2,3,4,5 EWTN & SMB(?)
23-1,3 WUCW, ZUUS
25-1,2,3,4,5 K25IA
29-1,2,3,4 WFTC, Bounce, Movies
33-1,2,3,4,5,6,7 K33LN & 3ABN
41-1,2,3,4,5,6 ION, quob, Shop QVC, HSN
43-1 K43HB
48-1 KHVM
50-1 KTCJ
62-1 WDMI

I had honestly never counted before, just got that 60 something number from my TV after it completed scanning, as it said it found 60 something channels. Strange. Perhaps there is some technical difference between a "found" channel and what is viewable? I don't know. I just recall laughing with my wife when we both saw the scan report finding more than 60 channels. Never bothered to count them until now when you asked. I couldn't even tell you exactly what some of those channels are, without taking the time to go to each one individually.

In any event, 48 is more than I need, and I'll delete most of the shopping and religious channels anyway to clean things up a bit. I mainly just want PBS and ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and ION. The rest are gravy.

EDIT: I should note that my antenna is pointing almost due north towards the Shoreview towers, so I have not really tried to pick up more distant signals to the south like Mankato. Nor have I bothered with trying to grab analog channels. Didn't even realize there were any still to be had any more!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #2888 of 2968 Old 01-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I looked it up to answer your question, and see I "only" get 48 channels as well, including:

2-1,2,3,4 TPT PBS
4-1 wcco CBS
5-1,2,3,4,5,6,7 KSTP ABC
9-1,2 KMSP Fox
11-1,2 KARE NBC
16-1,2,3,4,5 EWTN & SMB(?)
23-1,3 WUCW, ZUUS
25-1,2,3,4,5 K25IA
29-1,2,3,4 WFTC, Bounce, Movies
33-1,2,3,4,5,6,7 K33LN & 3ABN
41-1,2,3,4,5,6 ION, quob, Shop QVC, HSN
43-1 K43HB
48-1 KHVM
50-1 KTCJ
62-1 WDMI
Same here except 48 & 50 sometimes come in due to them being really low power
Quote:
In any event, 48 is more than I need, and I'll delete most of the shopping and religious channels anyway to clean things up a bit. I mainly just want PBS and ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and ION. The rest are gravy.
I agree. I thougth maybe you were getting Eau Claire or Rochester too
Quote:
EDIT: I should note that my antenna is pointing almost due north towards the Shoreview towers, so I have not really tried to pick up more distant signals to the south like Mankato. Nor have I bothered with trying to grab analog channels. Didn't even realize there were any still to be had any more!
13 (Univision) is still analog but they are converting to digital soon.
Mankato would probably be too far. Shakopee, Jordan, Prior Lake can get it with a bigger VHF only antenna. I
post #2889 of 2968 Old 01-16-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just an FYI for you guys who seem to indicate OTA would be sufficient for your needs if you could pull in the signal.

Given your stated locations of St. Paul & Eden Prairie, there is a very high likelihood that you should be able to easily get great OTA reception with the right antenna. I used to live in St. Paul and got great reception with an RCA ANT 751 in my attic. Moved to Eagan, down in a valley behind hills and trees with no LOS and had to upgrade to a CM 4228 in my attic, but now get far BETTER HD reception on far MORE channels than I previously got from Comcast Basic Cable.

I easily pull in all the network channels, PBS, and assorted others, including ION 41, which comes from towers 49 miles away from me in St. Cloud. More specifically, I pull in more than 60 channels now, and if they're broadcasting in HD, I get it in HD - no compressed BS like Comcast sent down their pipes, after charging you MORE for HD! Granted, many of them are channels I won't watch, like shopping channels and lots of religious channels, but the point is that it is very possible to pull in lots of local channels without huge, unsightly antennas on your roof.

My cost to do this was less than $100 to buy the antenna, RG6 cable and run that from my attic to the TV. Ongoing monthly cost: $ 0.

Hard to beat it on price! cool.gif

The only downside I see is that it does not include channels like ESPN or other premium channels that you may now consider "must haves." Sometimes it's hard to break the gazillion channel addiction. But for those (like me and you, Noah) who are content with the major networks and PBS, just know that if you're in the main Twin Cities metro area, the right antenna even in your attic and you should have an excellent chance of getting excellent FREE OTA HD TV.

For those who may be interested, go to this link at TVFool, enter your address, and it will give you an excellent idea of exactly which channels you might expect to receive with various antenna types.

Hey Hanes! I haven't updated on my situation, but it turns out that you're largely correct that an OTA antenna will work better than my previous experience indicated. Here's the thing, though: I had a great antenna to begin with. It seemed to be my newer tuner cards and newly-added distribution amp that made the difference for me.

I've had a Channel Master CM-4221 for several years. Maybe 3 years ago, I had tried it in the exact same location and orientation where it is now (in my attic, pointing just east of north, towards the Shoreview towers), but with an older ATI TV tuner card. Several stations came in fine, but others had consistent breakup/dropouts (5, 9, and 11 didn't consistently come in well, as I recall, which is not good). Well, now that I've switched to a pair of newer ATI tuners and added a powered coax distribution amp/surge protector, all the major networks come in fine, along with PBS, CW, and various other channels I'll never watch. I think I get most of the stations you list, though I'm not sure about the 33's. Anyway, most of my broadcast TV viewing consists of live sports (football, mostly), so as long as I can get Fox, CBS, and NBC, I'm happy. ABC carries some college games, now that I think of it. I timeshift some PBS shows, too, but there's really nothing worse than sitting down to watch live sports only to see that the channel isn't coming in. There were some hiccups during the last Vikings game, but other than that, the major networks have come in really well and so much better than in my previous experience.

I think winter helps my situation a bit, too. It will be interesting to see if anything changes this spring. I've got several large trees in the line of sight to Shoreview. In my experience, foliage can really attenuate UHF signals. I actually don't think there's a direct line of sight, since there's quite a significant hill to the north of my house. You're probably not that far south from me, Hanes, and it sounds like the conditions are similar (trees, hills, large bow tie antenna, attic install). Are you using an HTPC in your home theater? If so, what tuners are you using? It seems like the tuner chips have improved over time. Of course, I gave my old tuner card to a friend in Minneapolis (Uptown), and he says it works great. wink.gif
post #2890 of 2968 Old 02-12-2014, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know when Comcast is going to remove the redundant HD's channels in the 200's and 400's? (depending on your city)

It's been several years since Comcast acquired the old Time Warner area in the SW metro and unified all HD channel numbers in the 800's and 900's.

Having redundant HD channels is somewhat annoying but the bigger problem is with my Motorola DCX DVR. If I set a program to record on HD channels in the 800's or 900's that have redundant channel numbers in the 200's (ABC, CBS, ESPN, etc) more than 48 hours before the program airs, the DVR will change the recorded channel to the lower number in the 200's. This causes tremendous confusion and trouble when trying to watch & record two programs at once and deceives you into thinking a program is not set to record in the guide.

Comcast needs to finally eliminate those redundant HD channels in the 200's and 400's once and for all!
post #2891 of 2968 Old 02-12-2014, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotomn View Post

Does anyone know when Comcast is going to remove the redundant HD's channels in the 200's and 400's? (depending on your city)
I won't complain when they get rid of them. I am in the Roseville area and have the similar duplicates. But I use Tivo DVRs so the duplicates are not an issue for me.
post #2892 of 2968 Old 02-14-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 321
I am glad I aint the only one irritated by Comcast's duplicate HD channels. What's that all about anyway. I called them about it and the rep said they will be getting rid of them eventually. Just an FYI for those interested. They are going to be updating their channel guide very soon. The rep said its going to be more user friendly with more graphics ect.
post #2893 of 2968 Old 02-14-2014, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it would also be nice to have a printable guide that is always updated online. One in PDF form that matches their printed ones available at the service centers. The makeshift one online they provide for printing is useless.
post #2894 of 2968 Old 02-14-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchr View Post

it would also be nice to have a printable guide that is always updated online. One in PDF form that matches their printed ones available at the service centers. The makeshift one online they provide for printing is useless.

Agree, it should be easier to find out what channels are part of your current package. The last line up guide I saw was included in my online bill almost a year ago, in PDF format for my 02/2013 bill.
post #2895 of 2968 Old 02-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting thought.......so Comcast said a few months ago they were going to scramble everything this past November. Here in Shakopee lifeline channels are still in Clear QAM.
post #2896 of 2968 Old 02-22-2014, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post

Interesting thought.......so Comcast said a few months ago they were going to scramble everything this past November. Here in Shakopee lifeline channels are still in Clear QAM.
Consider yourself lucky smile.gif. Most of the Twin Cities is fully encrypted.
post #2897 of 2968 Old 02-23-2014, 11:22 AM

Liked: 15
Just out of curiosity earlier this week - I plugged the cable into the TV and did a scan. I've been OTA now for 3 years - keeping just the internet.

Disconnected the cable from the modem and plugged it into the TV to do a scan. In Brooklyn Park - 2 channels came out of that scan. A channel that only showed Comcast ads and a channel reserved for EAS broadcasts.
post #2898 of 2968 Old 02-24-2014, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
A bit off-topic, but I'm wondering if those of you with Comcast internet in Twin Cities have seen a slowdown in page load speeds in the last few days. Mine have really gone in the toilet. I'm running Windows 8, and when I changed my DNS servers to point to Google's, everything was speedy again. Anybody else seeing this?

post #2899 of 2968 Old 03-01-2014, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Regarding earlier posts about Comcast carrying duplicate HD channels in the 200s' etc., I just received my latest Comcast bill and it included a new channel line-up. I live in Woodbury and did anyone else notice that there are major channel line-up changes in 23 to 199 channels?

For example, TCM which is on ch. 57 now shows it is on ch. 169. TV Land moves from ch. 61 to ch. 52. There are many, many channel changes. Thus far, none of these have occured but does anyone know when these will all change, or is this simply a channel line-up 'goof' they sent?
post #2900 of 2968 Old 03-05-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMN View Post

A bit off-topic, but I'm wondering if those of you with Comcast internet in Twin Cities have seen a slowdown in page load speeds in the last few days. Mine have really gone in the toilet. I'm running Windows 8, and when I changed my DNS servers to point to Google's, everything was speedy again. Anybody else seeing this?

If you ask me Dave the page load speeds have been a disaster! Not only that but I have had to keep resetting my X1 box 3 times in 1 day! mad.gif I hear the reason for the slow speeds is due to they are changing the Guide. I am ready to take the box and exchange it if this garbage keeps up.
post #2901 of 2968 Old 03-25-2014, 02:10 PM

Watchathon Week 2014 – Coming Soon!

http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/2014/02/20/watchathon-week-2014-coming-soon/

Back by popular demand! It’s Watchathon Week, coming March 31 to April 6.

Last year’s Watchathon Week was an enormously successful crowd-pleaser, shattering all sorts of viewing records as XFINITY customers logged millions of hours catching up on TV’s hottest shows. The most-watched series included Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, The Walking Dead and Girls.

For Watchathon Week 2014, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, and Girls will return along with the latest season of Downton Abbey, True Detective, Veep, Black Sails, The White Queen, Californication, The Good Wife, Grey’s Anatomy, The Mindy Project, and dozens more favorites from HBO, Starz, NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX and other networks. Below, you’ll find the complete list of series.

Mark your calendar. Fill your pantry with food. Fix up a comfortable place to watch. And don’t miss the best TV binge you’ll ever have.
steve1971 likes this.
post #2902 of 2968 Old 03-27-2014, 04:01 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Watchathon Week 2014 – Coming Soon!

http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/2014/02/20/watchathon-week-2014-coming-soon/

Back by popular demand! It’s Watchathon Week, coming March 31 to April 6.

Last year’s Watchathon Week was an enormously successful crowd-pleaser, shattering all sorts of viewing records as XFINITY customers logged millions of hours catching up on TV’s hottest shows. The most-watched series included Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, The Walking Dead and Girls.

For Watchathon Week 2014, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, and Girls will return along with the latest season of Downton Abbey, True Detective, Veep, Black Sails, The White Queen, Californication, The Good Wife, Grey’s Anatomy, The Mindy Project, and dozens more favorites from HBO, Starz, NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX and other networks. Below, you’ll find the complete list of series.

Mark your calendar. Fill your pantry with food. Fix up a comfortable place to watch. And don’t miss the best TV binge you’ll ever have.

Do you have to have starz or hbo to get watchathon?
post #2903 of 2968 Old 03-27-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teqzen View Post

Do you have to have starz or hbo to get watchathon?

No. Its video on demand (VOD) access so you need some way to access it. I use my TiVo Roamio and I do not pay for any of the premium channels like HBO or starz.
post #2904 of 2968 Old 03-29-2014, 08:21 AM

Audio echo on KTCA-HD?

Has anyone else noticed any audio issues on KTCA recently? I'm on Comcast in Eagan. On both channels 240 and 802, I'm picking up a bit of an echo. The audio is showing as 5.1 surround, as it should. The problem is not showing up on other channels, so it's not my receiver or 5.1 set up. It is most noticeable when people are speaking, as opposed to background music.

I can also pull in KTCA-HD via my OTA antenna. It too, is showing as 5.1 when fed to my receiver via optical out, as it should, but there is no audio echo when watching KTCA via OTA!

I've noticed this over the last week or so.

John
post #2905 of 2968 Old 04-28-2014, 04:29 PM

Comcast customers in Minnesota would get a new cable company as part of a national three-company deal being proposed to push through Comcast's proposed takeover of Time Warner Cable.

http://www.twincities.com/technology/ci_25653308/comcast-would-spin-off-minnesota-market-part-merger
post #2906 of 2968 Old 04-28-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnOCFII View Post

Audio echo on KTCA-HD?

Has anyone else noticed any audio issues on KTCA recently? I'm on Comcast in Eagan.

This turned out to be user error. I'm not sure why the issue only seemed to impact certain channels, though. Maybe it had to do with the default 5.1 that differed on different channels.
post #2907 of 2968 Old 04-28-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Comcast customers in Minnesota would get a new cable company as part of a national three-company deal being proposed to push through Comcast's proposed takeover of Time Warner Cable.

Oh my. This sounds messy:
Quote:
The spinoff company Comcast is creating would own systems adjacent to Charter systems in Michigan, Minnesota, Indiana, Alabama, Eastern Tennessee, Kentucky and Wisconsin.

Comcast said the new cable provider it is creating and spinning off will have a nine-member board. That will include six independent directors and three appointed by Charter. Comcast itself will have no ownership stake in the spun-off company and will have no role in managing it. Charter will manage the new company.

The spinoff company Comcast is creating would own systems adjacent to Charter systems in Michigan, Minnesota, Indiana, Alabama, Eastern Tennessee, Kentucky and Wisconsin.

Comcast said the new cable provider it is creating and spinning off will have a nine-member board. That will include six independent directors and three appointed by Charter. Comcast itself will have no ownership stake in the spun-off company and will have no role in managing it. Charter will manage the new company.

In my experience, while very expensive, Comcast has been very stable for TV, voice, and Internet, including very good support of my TiVo, including Cable Cards and VOD through TiVo. I'm sure if there are technical changes they will be a few years down the road, but I can't imagine this being clean. I mean, the Minneapolis portions of the Comcast network are still quite a bit different from the St. Paul portions, as I understand it. (Cisco/Scientific Atlanta vs. Motorola head-ends, etc.)

John
post #2908 of 2968 Old 04-28-2014, 09:52 PM

Liked: 12
I've never heard good things about Charter, from friends who have it in Lakeville.

Furthermore, this frustrates me as I will likely lose VOD access on my Tivo, although that may take a while to take effect.

Comcast IS expensive, but in my experience it has been EXTREMELY reliable. From all Charter customers I have talked to, this is not the case with Charter. Again, this deal will take a long time to be fully completed, but we will see Charter start running the Minneapolis and St Paul systems very quickly after the merger is complete. Overall, I see this as bad news.
post #2909 of 2968 Old 04-29-2014, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Has anyone in the SW Metro lost their ability to use the TVs tuner? I can no longer access any of the local channels. Looks like comcast may have flipped the switch and now I need to get one of those small tuners. Yet another waste of money and electricity.
post #2910 of 2968 Old 04-29-2014, 05:45 AM

Count me as a happy Comcast customer with stable support for my TiVo (Cable cards, VOD) and internet access. Although expensive, Comcast has always been good for me to deal with when I had problems or service questions.

I’m not looking forward to Charter and I’m expecting negative changes with channel lineups, equipment and costs. Hopefully TiVo support stays the same.

Are there any positives switching to Charter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page