Minneapolis, MN - Comcast - Page 98 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #2911 of 2925 Old 04-29-2014, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So we are going to get shafted again. We were given to Comcast by TWC and now we are now being dumped by Comcast into a Spinoff owned by Charter. I honestly did not think this would happen as of the stuff Cocmast has invested in this area. I have no idea what happens. What channel line up we will get , what happens to our X1 service, our Gateway internet box. The future does not look bright at all. We have no choice in this matter just dumped from one company to another. So annoying.

We have a 2 year contract with Comcast so do they have to buy us out of our contract as we would have to pay them if we left ? I doubt it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 2925 Old 04-29-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by rej4sl View Post

So we are going to get shafted again. We were given to Comcast by TWC and now we are now being dumped by Comcast into a Spinoff owned by Charter. I honestly did not think this would happen as of the stuff Cocmast has invested in this area. I have no idea what happens. What channel line up we will get , what happens to our X1 service, our Gateway internet box. The future does not look bright at all. We have no choice in this matter just dumped from one company to another. So annoying.

We have a 2 year contract with Comcast so do they have to buy us out of our contract as we would have to pay them if we left ? I doubt it.

I agree. 100%.
post #2913 of 2925 Old 04-29-2014, 08:58 AM

I am just wondering what this spinoff company will be like. Will we be forced to use Charter or will be keep our Xfinity contracts.
post #2914 of 2925 Old 04-29-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclfoxtrot View Post

Has anyone in the SW Metro lost their ability to use the TVs tuner? I can no longer access any of the local channels. Looks like comcast may have flipped the switch and now I need to get one of those small tuners. Yet another waste of money and electricity.

Same thing happened elsewhere in the Twin Cities Metro area months ago. Frustrating, but we knew it was coming. Another revenue stream for Comcast.

While you probably know this, you DO have an alternative to renting a new box to get your local broadcast channels: get an antenna and pull in local broadcast HD signals OTA for free. I and many others did and it works great. Admittedly not as convenient as an all-in pipe from Comcast, but it is a real alternative.

Stick it to The Man! tongue.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2915 of 2925 Old 04-30-2014, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yeah my channels just got encrypted (downtown). Really don't care about cable only got it because it was cheaper than internet alone, but this is seriously some terrible customer service I would never want to deal with a crappy box over my nice built in QAM tuner.

Any sugguestions on how to get a deal on Internet only? My intro pricing has ended, was thinking of having my roommate cancel and then me re-subscribing as $35 for 50Mb/s for 12 months seems like a good deal. Wish I had USI Fiber at my place, it would be great if they expanded that.
post #2916 of 2925 Old 04-30-2014, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Remember - the whole 'bundle' argument they give you isn't as simple as it seems. I get that it seems like a no-brainer -- keep a limited basic cable subscription for $13 -- or keep your internet from going up by $16.

However - people forget about what else shows up on your bill when you have *any* kind of cable tv.

When I dropped cable (keeping internet only) - a co-worker decided to do the same about 2 months after I did. However - he kept limited basic after the rep's pitch regarding the bundled pricing being the better deal.

When we each compared our bills, however, we found that I had the lower bill -- even with my 'non-bundled' higher internet price.

Because my bill didn't have the franchise fee, the FCC TV tax, etc.

We're only talking a few dollars here - but my bill was cheaper.
post #2917 of 2925 Old 05-07-2014, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Free Showtime preview, Friday May 9th though Sunday May 11th. Via On Demand or On SHOWTIME ANYTIME.

http://www.sho.com/sho/free-preview/1
post #2918 of 2925 Old 06-19-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just a few days ago, one of the mostly needed channels is gone from the channel line-up, Weatherscan channel # 101 in nw suburburbs, it was on the non-hd channels section, but was a 24 hour weather channel themed weather radar for current weather radar, but now its gone, lots of people not to happy, and of course the very tallented people at comcast could have programmed something on that channel to inform everyone of the change, if its re-located to another ch number, they could have left ch 101 there with detailed info for a few days, nope, it was totally deleted, and no extra info for anyone......
All I can say, it's Scamtastic !!!

Last edited by TheaterChad; 06-19-2014 at 09:37 PM.
post #2919 of 2925 Old 07-12-2014, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TheaterChad, Comcast announced they would be dropping Weatherscan (ch. 101) in June, a couple of months ago. It was in their monthy bill. I agree, I will miss this channel but I do not know if the decision was Comcast or the Weather Channel.
post #2920 of 2925 Old 07-13-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hafer View Post
TheaterChad, Comcast announced they would be dropping Weatherscan (ch. 101) in June, a couple of months ago. It was in their monthy bill. I agree, I will miss this channel but I do not know if the decision was Comcast or the Weather Channel.

Comcast had nothing to do with it. It was the Weather Channels decision.
post #2921 of 2925 Old 07-15-2014, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking of just pulling the plug for Comcast completely.

The problem is, who do you go to for ISP and still be able to watch Netflix etc?

Is Century Link have way tolerable to use?

I'm in the Eden Prarie/Bloomington area and my TV reception is not the best, thinking it's my tree by the house messing up my signal.
Some days it's good and others not so.
post #2922 of 2925 Old 09-03-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Comcast came out last Sunday and replaced our HD Cable boxes because the ones we had SUCKED! I had to keep resetting mine as did my father. The tech who came out was really nice and said they had issues with the first X1 boxes so he replaced them. So far no glitches. He also cleaned up all the wiring the last guy had left hanging all over the place. I asked him about about the change over once Comcast buys Time Warner and he said that the Minneapolis/St Paul area will no longer be with Xfinity but with a smaller company. He had no idea about channel lineup, Internet ect but he did say they will be keeping the X1 platform, the smaller company that is. When it will happen? In about a year he said. A jump back to Directv maybe in our future.
post #2923 of 2925 Old 09-05-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Comcast came out last Sunday and replaced our HD Cable boxes because the ones we had SUCKED! I had to keep resetting mine as did my father. The tech who came out was really nice and said they had issues with the first X1 boxes so he replaced them. So far no glitches. He also cleaned up all the wiring the last guy had left hanging all over the place. I asked him about about the change over once Comcast buys Time Warner and he said that the Minneapolis/St Paul area will no longer be with Xfinity but with a smaller company. He had no idea about channel lineup, Internet ect but he did say they will be keeping the X1 platform, the smaller company that is. When it will happen? In about a year he said. A jump back to Directv maybe in our future.
I think any changes, should the Time Warner Merger go through (it may not, remember T-Mobile and AT&T was blocked), will take years to occur.

Programming and channel lineup wise, there are contracts in place (one need look no further than Minneapolis, and their carrying of the Boomerang network, a network not normally carried by Comcast). And IF the new company is run by Charter, I think we won't be as bad off as thought, their lineups look pretty comparable to Comcast.

As someone who actually likes Comcast (it's expensive, but reliable, at least for me) we have no choice but to wait and see.
steve1971 likes this.
post #2924 of 2925 Old 09-06-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnxmfan View Post
I think any changes, should the Time Warner Merger go through (it may not, remember T-Mobile and AT&T was blocked), will take years to occur.

Programming and channel lineup wise, there are contracts in place (one need look no further than Minneapolis, and their carrying of the Boomerang network, a network not normally carried by Comcast). And IF the new company is run by Charter, I think we won't be as bad off as thought, their lineups look pretty comparable to Comcast.

As someone who actually likes Comcast (it's expensive, but reliable, at least for me) we have no choice but to wait and see.
mnxmfan, ever since Comcast switched everything out it's all running good with no glitches to report so we could have got some bad boxes. That being said it is indeed a wait and see thing.
post #2925 of 2925 Old Today, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Free Channel Week Is Coming – September 22nd – September 28th

http://xfinity-blogs.cim.comcast.net...8/coming-soon/

Comcast is going to be having a Free Channel Week Monday Sept. 22 thru Sunday Sept. 28. Limited to customers with XFINITY TV service level with access to On Demand programming and a digital converter.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page