Minneapolis, MN - Comcast - Page 99 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
post #2941 of 2965 Old 01-25-2015, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looks like local municipalities are starting to approve the franchise change from Comcast to "Greatland Connections". Minneapolis and Eden Prairie have already approved the change.

Sounds like Charter will assume operations of the cable/internet/phone service, and field service will be done by Greatland. Looking at the service operations of Charter in the area, and I'm not 100% sure this is a bad thing, anyone else have an opinion?

Looks like they offer more HD channels, and faster internet speeds. Not sure how long it would take for these changes to come to our lineups, but it sounds like it won't take long, assuming the TWC merger is approved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 2965 Old 01-26-2015, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Charter and Tivo?

With the imminent move to Charter, what does that mean for Tivo users. Love that I have xfinity on demand right now, but I am pretty sure Charter does not offer on demand with their cable cards. This is going to really stink. Do not want to go back to the crappy cable company boxes just to get on demand.
post #2943 of 2965 Old 01-26-2015, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnxmfan View Post
Looks like local municipalities are starting to approve the franchise change from Comcast to "Greatland Connections". Minneapolis and Eden Prairie have already approved the change.

Sounds like Charter will assume operations of the cable/internet/phone service, and field service will be done by Greatland. Looking at the service operations of Charter in the area, and I'm not 100% sure this is a bad thing, anyone else have an opinion?

Looks like they offer more HD channels, and faster internet speeds. Not sure how long it would take for these changes to come to our lineups, but it sounds like it won't take long, assuming the TWC merger is approved.

mnxmfan, hell if Charter offers faster internet speed's, more HD Channel's then heck ya I'm all for it! Question is is when does this all go down? When does Charter take over the St. Paul/Minneapolis area? Comcast/Xfinity does not have enough HD Channels which is something I have been begging for for the last several months. The other question I have is is will Charter have the "On Demand' service like Comcast does? Again like I said if Charter offer's more HD Channels and faster Internet speed's then hell yea I am all for it. I hope it happen's soon.

post #2944 of 2965 Old 01-26-2015, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Why is all of this happening? Is Comcast/Infinity getting out of selected markets or is it more widespread?
post #2945 of 2965 Old 01-26-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
mnxmfan, hell if Charter offers faster internet speed's, more HD Channel's then heck ya I'm all for it! Question is is when does this all go down? When does Charter take over the St. Paul/Minneapolis area? Comcast/Xfinity does not have enough HD Channels which is something I have been begging for for the last several months. The other question I have is is will Charter have the "On Demand' service like Comcast does? Again like I said if Charter offer's more HD Channels and faster Internet speed's then hell yea I am all for it. I hope it happen's soon.

The only people who know at this point are Comcast, Charter, and the FCC. If the merger is denied, then Comcast won't spin us off.

Of course, there are a lot of unknowns. How long will Xfinity continue offering services, how long until the headend switches to Comcast (The SW burbs still use the old Time Warner numbering system for a lot of things, and still carry Boomerang, as an example).

Charter does have an on-demand service, but as a Tivo-owning customer, I will lose access to that (since Xfinity has an agreement with Tivo and Charter does not).

Also, it has been pointed out that Comcast is leaving the new company with a LOT of debt, and the "insiders" expect that the new customers will be saddled with paying that debt off via higher bills.

I'm also against this merger because it leaves one less ISP, which is never good for competition, and the internet as a whole. I honestly believe that, traditional cable video service has about 15 years left, and then "cable" companies will become mostly ISP's.
post #2946 of 2965 Old 01-26-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclfoxtrot View Post
With the imminent move to Charter, what does that mean for Tivo users. Love that I have xfinity on demand right now, but I am pretty sure Charter does not offer on demand with their cable cards. This is going to really stink. Do not want to go back to the crappy cable company boxes just to get on demand.
Charter does not have an agreement with Tivo to offer on-demand service to Tivo owners, so that will most likely go away with the change. How long that switch-over takes is anyone's guess, but if Charter aims to unify services, we will likely have the same lineup of services currently offered in areas like Rosemount and Lakeville. So, if you are curious about what that is, find a Lakeville address, and pop that into the Charter lineup finder.
post #2947 of 2965 Old 01-26-2015, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaumgart View Post
Why is all of this happening? Is Comcast/Infinity getting out of selected markets or is it more widespread?
It’s happening because of Comcast’s take over of Time Warner cable. The combination of the two largest U.S. cable companies has fueled antitrust review. Comcast is letting go of some regions to avoid monopoly/antitrust fears. The proposed deal could still get derailed because of the backlash of petitions and public outcry of the merger.

Last edited by worachj; 01-26-2015 at 08:10 AM.
post #2948 of 2965 Old 01-26-2015, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
It’s happening because of Comcast’s take over of Time Warner cable. The combination of the two largest U.S. cable companies has fueled antitrust review. Comcast is letting go of some regions to avoid monopoly/antitrust fears. The proposed deal could still get derailed because of the backlash of petitions and public outcry of the merger.
Thanks for the explanation, worachj. Even though I'm normally a very "free market" kind of guy, I hope in this case that the merger is denied. The cable business is already way too concentrated with not enough competition, and this proposed merger would only exacerbate it.
post #2949 of 2965 Old 01-26-2015, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation, worachj. Even though I'm normally a very "free market" kind of guy, I hope in this case that the merger is denied. The cable business is already way too concentrated with not enough competition, and this proposed merger would only exacerbate it.

Personally I hope the merger isnt denied because I want more HD channels and Comcast hasnt been adding new HD channels!
post #2950 of 2965 Old 01-26-2015, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Personally I hope the merger isnt denied because I want more HD channels and Comcast hasnt been adding new HD channels!
Which ones would you like to see most?
post #2951 of 2965 Old 01-26-2015, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Which ones would you like to see most?

Like Directv, I would like to see all the HBO channels in HD, as well as Cinemax, Stars, Encore and The Movie Channel. If it were left up to me ALL channels would be in HD!
post #2952 of 2965 Old 01-26-2015, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Like Directv, I would like to see all the HBO channels in HD, as well as Cinemax, Stars, Encore and The Movie Channel.
Yeah, you are right all of the movie channels should be in HD. If it's a question of bandwidth, can someone please tell me why they have HBO, for example, showing the same high-def programming on three different channels? (215, 300 & 900)

Quote:
If it were left up to me ALL channels would be in HD!
And if it were left up to me ALL channels would be in 4K!
(but of course that's not a Comcast issue)
post #2953 of 2965 Old 01-27-2015, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, you are right all of the movie channels should be in HD. If it's a question of bandwidth, can someone please tell me why they have HBO, for example, showing the same high-def programming on three different channels? (215, 300 & 900)

Well if your waiting for Comcast to have channels in 4K your going to be waiting a long, long time my freind. I brought that up to one of the Comcast guys who came out to fix our wireless and he said Comcast has shown little to no interest in 4K and if they do offer 4K channels it will be by the "On Demand" feature which means charging to view 4K channels or programming.
post #2954 of 2965 Old 01-27-2015, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well if your waiting for Comcast to have channels in 4K your going to be waiting a long, long time my freind. I brought that up to one of the Comcast guys who came out to fix our wireless and he said Comcast has shown little to no interest in 4K and if they do offer 4K channels it will be by the "On Demand" feature which means charging to view 4K channels or programming.
Not that I had my hopes up or anything...But I have heard that Netflix will start to offer some programming in 4K so maybe that'll have some impact on Comcast if they start to lose customers. A friend of mine just bought two 4K Sony sets and he's saying that he'll be making the switch over as soon as Netflix's 4K becomes available.
post #2955 of 2965 Old 01-27-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:

A channel could take up the bandwidth of 1, but be mapped to as many "virtual" channels as Comcast wants to. The channel numbers actually don't correspond to what part of the band a particular channel takes up, otherwise they would look like 256.3mhz (as an example). Part of what the cable box does (and cable card as well) is it gets a map of what channel numbers point to what frequencies, and when you tune to channel 300, the cable box knows to go to 256mhz to look for that channel. Confusing, I know, but hopefully it makes sense.

Also, with regards to 4K, you are going to have to wait a LONG time for that. Not only is there currently no cable channel that broadcasts in 4K, but there is currently NO standard to actually get that programming to you (the current HDMI standard doesn't allow for 4K content). This is why you are seeing 4K content only on internal applications, because none of the current 4K TV's have the new HDMI ports built in that can carry 4K content. If you bought a 4K TV, I'm sorry, you should have waited. The manufacturers are desperate to sell TV's, and have started selling 4K before it is "ready". True, current HDMI standards do support ALMOST 4K resolution, it is not true 4K.

Oh, and you are also going to need a new cable box to decode the 4k content. While the codec may be supported on current boxes, the HDMI technology inside of them will need to also be updated to HDMI 2.0 when the standard is finalized as well. Edit, I was mistaken, HDMI 2.0 is in production now, just make sure the TV you buy has HDMI 2.0 ports. Blu-Ray discs should start showing up mid this year, but 4K content over cable is going to be hard due to the fact that it takes so much bandwidth (one channel will take up the bandwidth of 4 HD channels).

Last edited by mnxmfan; 01-27-2015 at 09:25 AM.
post #2956 of 2965 Old 01-27-2015, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

mnxmfan, good info - thanks. No plans to buy any new TV's this year as all of my current ones are doing great. Hopefully that will continue to be the case until it makes sense to upgrade, which for me would mean that a decent amount of programming that I really want to watch becomes available in 4K and the networks, providers and equipment all support it. Sounds like that will be a while.
post #2957 of 2965 Old 01-27-2015, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnxmfan View Post
A channel could take up the bandwidth of 1, but be mapped to as many "virtual" channels as Comcast wants to. The channel numbers actually don't correspond to what part of the band a particular channel takes up, otherwise they would look like 256.3mhz (as an example). Part of what the cable box does (and cable card as well) is it gets a map of what channel numbers point to what frequencies, and when you tune to channel 300, the cable box knows to go to 256mhz to look for that channel. Confusing, I know, but hopefully it makes sense.

Also, with regards to 4K, you are going to have to wait a LONG time for that. Not only is there currently no cable channel that broadcasts in 4K, but there is currently NO standard to actually get that programming to you (the current HDMI standard doesn't allow for 4K content). This is why you are seeing 4K content only on internal applications, because none of the current 4K TV's have the new HDMI ports built in that can carry 4K content. If you bought a 4K TV, I'm sorry, you should have waited. The manufacturers are desperate to sell TV's, and have started selling 4K before it is "ready". True, current HDMI standards do support ALMOST 4K resolution, it is not true 4K.

Oh, and you are also going to need a new cable box to decode the 4k content. While the codec may be supported on current boxes, the HDMI technology inside of them will need to also be updated to HDMI 2.0 when the standard is finalized as well. Edit, I was mistaken, HDMI 2.0 is in production now, just make sure the TV you buy has HDMI 2.0 ports. Blu-Ray discs should start showing up mid this year, but 4K content over cable is going to be hard due to the fact that it takes so much bandwidth (one channel will take up the bandwidth of 4 HD channels).

Excellent info mnxfan and thanks for sharing.
post #2958 of 2965 Old 01-28-2015, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Regarding the Comcast switch over to Charter, does anyone know what areas are affected? I see posts regarding Mpls and St. Paul but the Comcast that services my area is Comcast Saint Croix. Is this also part of the switch over? It is interesting that Comcast just opened a brand new service center here in Woodbury this month.

Last edited by John Hafer; 01-31-2015 at 08:51 AM.
post #2959 of 2965 Old 02-21-2015, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Everything that is currently owned by Comcast in the Twin Cities area, including Hudson/River Falls Wisconsin would go to Greatland Connections.
steve1971 likes this.
post #2960 of 2965 Old 02-25-2015, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Made the jump the summer 0f 2013 to DirecTV after 27 years with Time Warner/Comcast. Have not been happier. And now that I have the infrastructure in my house for both cable and satellite it will be no real problem to jump back and forth as contracts end if the current provider won't sweeten my deal. I hated Comcast and their (at the time) antiquated hardware. Only thing they had going for them was reliability. Can't wait to see what CenturyLink offers up for cable service. Real competition between two companies will be great.
steve1971 likes this.

Perfection is unattainable.
post #2961 of 2965 Old 03-12-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

After what I read in the paper and watched on the news I am now glad I dropped Directv and went with Comcast. They are being sued by the FCC for lieing and false advertisement to new and exsisting customers. This has been the 3rd time the FCC has sued Directv and in the 2 previous cases Directv lost and it looks like they may lose this one as well. Glad I dont have them anymore!
post #2962 of 2965 Old 03-21-2015, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Now that my wife will be a Comcast employee on the 30th of this month I get to enjoy all the free cable and internet services they have to offer! Plus I will get her to give me all the inside scoops on whats happening at Comcast. Now I'm REALLY glad I didnt switch to Directv!!!!!!!!
post #2963 of 2965 Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Now that my wife will be a Comcast employee on the 30th of this month I get to enjoy all the free cable and internet services they have to offer! Plus I will get her to give me all the inside scoops on whats happening at Comcast. Now I'm REALLY glad I didnt switch to Directv!!!!!!!!
Very cool. Be sure to let us in on the "inside scoop" on what new things we can expect to see!
steve1971 likes this.
post #2964 of 2965 Unread Today, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Very cool. Be sure to let us in on the "inside scoop" on what new things we can expect to see!
I already informed my wife and she says she will let me know of any happenings at Comcast so I can tell you guys!
post #2965 of 2965 Unread Today, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillboy49 View Post
Made the jump the summer 0f 2013 to DirecTV after 27 years with Time Warner/Comcast. Have not been happier. And now that I have the infrastructure in my house for both cable and satellite it will be no real problem to jump back and forth as contracts end if the current provider won't sweeten my deal. I hated Comcast and their (at the time) antiquated hardware. Only thing they had going for them was reliability. Can't wait to see what CenturyLink offers up for cable service. Real competition between two companies will be great.
I think everyone has different experience levels with providers. Personally, in the 8 years that I have had Comcast, I've had 2 issues, and both were handled pretty promptly. The first issue was a rotted cable line in an old apartment I lived in (not Comcast's fault). I called it in Friday, and they had it fixed by Sunday. The second issue was an installer lied to get out of having to do my install, but they sent another installer the next day to get me all set up.

Other than that, Comcast has been reliable, albeit expensive (as most TV providers are). I have a friend who can only get Mediacom, and after a year of suffering with random outages, switched to DirectTV. He's suffered 2 major programming "disputes" and he has to climb up to clear the dish every time it snows. The DVR is flakey at best, and he spends more with DirectTV than he did with Mediacom for less channels. (the first year was cheaper).

Basically, what I'm saying is that your mileage may vary, and none of these companies is really any "better" than the other. And now that some cord cutting options exist, I am starting to see the true value of cable (unless I only want some of the programming I get now).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page