Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #271 of 10719 Old 09-24-2001, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have had no problems with WFXT, in fact I watched the football game yesterday afternoon. There has been no decrease in signal strength on the other stations. Maybe you are having a problem with your antenna?

SMK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 10719 Old 09-24-2001, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is WGBH DT19 being broadcast from the towers in Needham? Should I be able to tune it in before 7pm tonight when they begin testing?

------------------

Todd

The HT-2-B

Todd
post #273 of 10719 Old 09-24-2001, 05:07 PM

As of 7 PM tonite channel 19-3 is alive. It maps to 80-3 on my reciever. It looks great. Signal strength 100.

Finally WGBH in HD.

------------------
Jim

[This message has been edited by jjm75 (edited 09-24-2001).]

Jim
post #274 of 10719 Old 09-24-2001, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Has anyone been able to tune into WGBH 19 with a Dish 6000 receiver. I've added the channel and it appears to map to channel 80. My 6000, however doesn't let me tune to the channel

Help -- Steve
post #275 of 10719 Old 09-24-2001, 07:06 PM

If you own a Dish 6000, change your local channel option from off-air to cable. This will allow the receiver to map to channel 80-3.
post #276 of 10719 Old 09-24-2001, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Originally posted by johnt:
If you own a Dish 6000, change your local channel option from off-air to cable. This will allow the receiver to map to channel 80-3.

That did it! Thanks

post #277 of 10719 Old 09-24-2001, 08:16 PM

Anyone have trouble with WGBH-DT tonight? I was getting signal levels all over the map on my Mitsubish SR-HD5 - peaked at 79, but dropping into the low 50's, sometimes completely gone. And WCVB-DT (20) was very low as well - couldn't even get a picture.

I ended up switching out my R/S UXR-75 with a Silver Sensor, and was able to get a rock solid 79 on WGBH, and 100 on WCVB - but I'm still getting blocking on WGBH. WCVB is now perfect. Could the signals be interfering with each other somewhat? I mean, could there be fringe patterns created by both VHF channel 19 and 20 and some multipath of one of them - and it's eliminated when I switch antennas?

WGBH is still pretty much unwatchable, though, even with the solid (though not 100) signal strength. Pretty wierd.

Are any RF engineers watching???

Edit: I also forgot to mention - is WCVB-DT's scaler out of commission? Or is it ABC's network feed? It seems that every other scan line is blank. My 27" TV on the normal analog channel 5 looks OK, but on my 65" Mits, it makes it look like the line doubler is disabled (it's not, but that's what it reminds me of).

------------------
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*|>
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*|\\
Â*Â*Â*Â*/|Â*\\
Â*Â*Â*/Â*|__\\
Â*Â*/__|____
Â*Â*\\_ ___ _ \\

Jon Gauthier
"If I'm not sailing I'd rather be watching sailing in HD!" - Me

[This message has been edited by jonlgauthier (edited 09-24-2001).]

Jon Gauthier
"If I'm not sailing I'd rather be watching sailing in HD!" - Me
post #278 of 10719 Old 09-24-2001, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

I missed the 8-10pm broadcast of evolution, but tuned into the supposed 10-12pm showing. It's not there-- they are showing Africa in widescreen standard def. The websites all say it's supposed to be evolution! Did PBS mess up? Anyone watching it?
Steve

post #279 of 10719 Old 09-24-2001, 08:58 PM

Evolution was a great program. WGBH-DT was solid at a signal of 83 on my DTC-100. Signal did drop out for a short period and then came back. I think they had a problem. Switched to WENH-DT While they were off. Program was repeated on GBH analog at ten PM.

Pat

Tewksbury
post #280 of 10719 Old 09-24-2001, 09:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

An easy add to the Dish 6000 (with the cable vs. OTA). On the DST-3000 getting odd mapping (sat guide must not be set yet). 19 shows 100% signal strength, but does not show up as 19-3. Unselecting channel 57-1 & -2 in local setups lets you input 19-3 that shifts you to 80-3 but picture quits after a few minutes.

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #281 of 10719 Old 09-24-2001, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I just got this e-mail from Christie at Titantv.com
It appears that WBGH's plans for DTV channel 19 are still uncertain........

Thank you for continuing to visit TitanTV.com and provide feedback. WGBH is indeed beginning to broadcast their HD signal this week. They will be airing the Evolution series as you mentioned. We are currently in the process of getting this information from our program provider Tribune Media Services. The status of the digital signal after the Evolution series is complete is still unknown from WGBH. It is possible they will take the signal down for a time after the series runs. Thanks again for visiting TitanTV and for providing feedback. We will update the site as soon as we get this new programming information. Thanks!

Christie Midthun
Decisionmark Corp.

post #282 of 10719 Old 09-24-2001, 10:14 PM

Picture quality was great. It's about time. I enjoyed the Paris presentation. The picture was astounding. Even my wife watched the show as well as the Darwin show. I did have one picture loss, but it came back after a few minutes.

--Andy

PS Jon, Ch 19 and 20 are UHF, if that's what you meant. Ch 13 is the last VHF station.
post #283 of 10719 Old 09-24-2001, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Is anyone else having trouble with WFXT?? I have not been able to receive any signal at all for the past 5 days, before I that i did get a signal strenght of about 60-65% with my dish 6000.
Also I noticed that the same day that FOX disappeared, ABC 20-1 and NBC 42-02 signal strenght got weaker, going fro, 80-85 to 70 for ABC and from 70-75 to 55-60 for NBC.
Anyone else having these same problems?
post #284 of 10719 Old 09-25-2001, 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by spearse:
I missed the 8-10pm broadcast of evolution, but tuned into the supposed 10-12pm showing. It's not there-- they are showing Africa in widescreen standard def. The websites all say it's supposed to be evolution! Did PBS mess up? Anyone watching it?
Steve

Africa was on from 10-11 and then Evolution was on from 11-1am. Looked great. Signal strength on my DTC100 was only around 65 but I didn't experience any audio or video dropouts.

/Matt
post #285 of 10719 Old 09-25-2001, 05:02 AM
Sal

HI,

Here in Framingham, I did get a signal strength of 76-80 on my DISH 6000 (WGBH). The Paris travel show was awesome. The evolution program wasnt as crisp and sharp. I did lose signal suddenly at around 8:45. I switched to WBZ and found it was gone too. But WCVB was still there. At about 9pm or so I switched back to WGBH and it was back. I look forward to watching WGBH more.

I also noticed the black lines on WCVB. It happened over the weekend too but it was fixed in a couple of hours. I havent checked this morning.

Also, seems like since this weekend, WFXT has reduced its power??? I used to get a strong signal, around 83-85 and now its in the 60s. Anyone else seeing that?

Sal
post #286 of 10719 Old 09-25-2001, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Sal,

Glad it wasn't just me. I had exactly the same issues. I was getting a solid signal (about 85%) then completely lost it for about five minutes. Same with WBZ. Also noticed the WCVB problem. Definately looked like every other scan line was black. WFXT seemed to go out over the weekend, but I was able to get a weak signal last night.

As for the quality of the programming, I agree that Smart Travels looked better, but that is because (I believe) it is shot with HD cams as opposed to being a film transfer. Evolution and Africa were film transfers, and of the two I would say Africa was a bit better. Of course this could be due to the nmaterial more than the actual transfer as HD tends to shine with outdoor material.

All in all I would say it was a pretty good showing for WGBH. I certainly expected a few more problems this being their first public attempt.

Chip

[This message has been edited by chs4 (edited 09-25-2001).]
post #287 of 10719 Old 09-25-2001, 06:15 AM
Sal

Hey Chip,

The scan line issue with WCVB seems to be fixed right now. Both times ive noticed it I think has been during football games, so maybe theres something wrong with how they are patching in the ABC feed into their 720p encoders?????

Also an interesting thing was that Evolution was broadcast in DD5.1. I was surprised that my blue DD light on the Sony lit up. All in all I think it was a great test by WGBH. Especially reading some threads on problems that ABC has been having in switching to the HD feed in various parts of the country. Anyone know when WGBH will go full time?? The test is scheduled till the 27th. Will they shut off after that?

I also had to switch to the "cable" setting to get 80. I do get all the digital stations properly, but analog have gone, which is no big deal to me anyway.

Maybe someone from WFXT can shed some light asto why they have dropped down from 720p to 480p and also why the drop in power?

Sal
post #288 of 10719 Old 09-25-2001, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Hi Guys,

There was a momentary power failure last night around 8:50 PM. Our transmitter went through its entire power-up cycle so we were off for about 8 minutes.

Bob Hess
WBZ
post #289 of 10719 Old 09-25-2001, 09:43 AM

Dear Viewers,

Please note that there is an update to the previously reported air times for the WGBH DTV19 test. Tonight (9/25) through Thursday (9/27), the signal will be up from 7 PM - 1 AM. Evolution will air from 8-10 PM and again from 11 PM - 1 AM.

Thank you for your continued interest in WGBH DTV19.

Sincerely,
Audience & Member Services, WGBH
post #290 of 10719 Old 09-25-2001, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, I wandered back at 11:30 and saw evolution playing (schedule showed it was supposed to start at 10pm), so I missed 1/2 hour. It would be great if WGBH posted its digital programming schedule at wgbh.org.

Evolution was 1080i, but Africa was simply widescreen standard def. (a good deal of PBS programs are this way). Note, all the animation sequences were full 1080i, but the non-animated parts seemed to be standard-def film transfer. That's why most of evolution seemed "soft" or non-high def.

Signal strength was very strong here in Concord.

What a great new addition to Boston high-def programming. Great job WGBH! Please continue to broadcast nights at least, even if it's just passing through the national feed.
Steve

post #291 of 10719 Old 09-25-2001, 12:13 PM

I'm just another happy viewer of WGBH-DTV19's hi-def test broadcasting last night. I thought that if everyone who watched or will watch their testing braodcast could fill out the form below and email it back to feedback@wbgh.org then it will at least let them know that they have a fairly large HDTV market in Boston area.

*****Survey Form*******

location where you received the WGBH-DT19 signal:___________________

type of antenna (e.g. outdoor, indoor):_____________________

if outdoor, approx height above ground:____________________

type of DTV broadcast receiver (manufacturer/model #) or DTV tuner integrated in TV set:__________________________________

do you own more than one receiver capable of receiving a local DTV broadcast signal? yes (number) _____ no _______

type of display (manufacturer; projection or direct view; size; aspect ratio (4x3 or 16x9):_______________________________________

audio system: mono___stereo___Pro Logic___Dolby 5.1___other (please specify)

How would you rate the quality of the signal you received?

excellent___________
good______________
poor_______________
no signal received ______________

Please comment on any technical problems you encountered in receiving and displaying the WGBH-DT19 signal. ________________________________________________________

post #292 of 10719 Old 09-25-2001, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, so this is where you guys are at!!! I felt so alone on the HD programming forum, then I was pointed to this thread. It explains many of the things that happened last night. Anyway, I sent my survey in last night and my pledge will be sent in shortly. I'll be tracking this thread with great interest. Regards - Hal
post #293 of 10719 Old 09-25-2001, 12:39 PM

Dear Viewers,

We hope that the following information will be helpful to you. We appreciate the great response to our postings.

* DTV-19 debuted last night from 7PM to 1AM

* It will do the same through Thursday of this week

* We are passing through the PBS stream from the Network

* Most DTV receivers will use PSIP to identify the signal. Â*PBS identifies their network feed as 80-3, which is what most receivers will identify with. Â*This is confusing, because the actual transmission is on UHF CH.19.

* Prior postings had a replay of Evolution from 10 to midnight. Â*That replay has been moved to 11PM to 1AM.

* NSTAR had power problems in the Needham area Monday night at approximately 8:50PM. Â*This poorly timed outage caused disruptions to most major stations in Boston. Â*DTV-19, being computer based to a great degree, took about 5 minutes to recover. Â*WGBH engineering personnel are configuring UPS power to shorten this recovery time.

* Evolution was shot on Super 16mm film, and does not upconvert as crisply as a native HD program might.

* PBS is only sending stereo audio on the DTV stream, even though the show was produced in 5.1

* Future plans for DTV-19 include (minimally) a Friday night airing of a PBS series "Life360". Â*These tests will run through the end of the year.

Thank you again for your continued interest, and your patience as we test our broadcast systems.

Sincerely,
WGBH Audience & Member Services
post #294 of 10719 Old 09-25-2001, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Two months ago I sent WGBH a letter detailing the reasons I would not renew my membership, and that I would not do so until they were transmitting HD. Today I mailed them a check for double my previous membership contribution to help support these efforts. Last night's programming looked great.
SMK

[This message has been edited by RoyGBiv (edited 09-25-2001).]
post #295 of 10719 Old 09-25-2001, 05:09 PM

Well I was home today so I tried tuning in to WGBH, but can't get enough signal, keeps jumping from 60 - 79% so I think I have a multipath problem. Ironically thru the jointenna I get WGBY clean so I guess I'll stick with that station. I took out the jointenna and went direct, still can't get enough of the WGBH signal.

-Mike

[This message has been edited by Prelude2k (edited 09-25-2001).]
post #296 of 10719 Old 09-25-2001, 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by chs4:

As for the quality of the programming, I agree that Smart Travels looked better, but that is because (I believe) it is shot with HD cams as opposed to being a film transfer. Evolution and Africa were film transfers, and of the two I would say Africa was a bit better. Of course this could be due to the material more than the actual transfer as HD tends to shine with outdoor material.
[This message has been edited by chs4 (edited 09-25-2001).][/b]

It is my understanding that the PBS program Evolution was shot in super16mm film and therefore may not have had the resolution that one would get with a program shot with 35MM film when transferred to HDTV tape.

brandish

------------------
Ross Kauffman
post #297 of 10719 Old 09-25-2001, 08:34 PM

Is anyone else getting incorrect aspect ratios on WCVB-DT 20.1 and WFXT-DT 25.1? On WCVB-DT I'm seeing the 4x3 feed streteched horizontally to fill the full 16x9 screen instead of being bordered by black bars, while on WFXT-DT the 4x3 feed appears to be horizontally squeezed with larger black bars than normal. Other than the above mentioned scan line problem on WCVB, this is the first time in recent memory that I've seen any aspect ratio problems on my RCA F38310.
post #298 of 10719 Old 09-25-2001, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Eric Busch:
Is anyone else getting incorrect aspect ratios on WCVB-DT 20.1 and WFXT-DT 25.1? On WCVB-DT I'm seeing the 4x3 feed streteched horizontally to fill the full 16x9 screen instead of being bordered by black bars, while on WFXT-DT the 4x3 feed appears to be horizontally squeezed with larger black bars than normal. Other than the above mentioned scan line problem on WCVB, this is the first time in recent memory that I've seen any aspect ratio problems on my RCA F38310.

I noticed the same thing when I turned Chronicle on at 7:55PM. Then Darma and Greg came on in HD but not DD 5.1. I switched to 80-3 for a moment, switched back and Darma was in DD 5.1. I did this again switching to 199 then back and on the 3rd time, 20-1 had gone back to 480i stretched, and stayed like this all night. What's up ROSS?

------------------

post #299 of 10719 Old 09-25-2001, 09:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

WCVB-DT is definitely messed up. I wonder if the power outage "rebooted" out of OAR mode to WMUR standard stretchovision.

WFXT-DT signal doesn't look too much off, but signal quality is degraded significantly.

Also on 19-3, my DST-3000 doesn't even recognize it to map it. APG must not be updated. Also, because of that when 57-1 is broadcasting there appears to be "PSIP contention" with both (all PBS stations?) embedding the mapping. The Dish 6000 locks and keeps signal fine.

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #300 of 10719 Old 09-25-2001, 10:01 PM

That was crazy. One channel stretched horizontally the other vertically. Someone must have had the Mad Magazine X-Ray glasses on.... PBS looked great though..

--Andy
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page