Boston, MA - OTA - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #541 of 10719 Old 11-15-2001, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Drew Carrey episode was live. I suspect no HDTV on this one cuz it's normally filmed then transferred to HD. ABC probably doesn't have the infrastructure (cameras, switchers etc) for a live HD broadcast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 10719 Old 11-15-2001, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Hey Bob, have you fired up that TU-HDS20 yet? I'm still having a problem where 4-1 appears in the guide but programming only received on 30-1. Also, do you have any comments regarding the recent FCC DTV guideline revisions and how it may affect our market here in Boston?
post #543 of 10719 Old 11-15-2001, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Doug G
... the recent FCC DTV guideline revisions ...

Doug,

Could you post a link to the FCC DTV revisions?
post #544 of 10719 Old 11-15-2001, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Doug G
Hey Bob, have you fired up that TU-HDS20 yet? I'm still having a problem where 4-1 appears in the guide but programming only received on 30-1. Also, do you have any comments regarding the recent FCC DTV guideline revisions and how it may affect our market here in Boston?

Doug,

Actually, it is still sitting in the box. I just have not had time to play with it but I will soon.

Regarding the FCC guideline, business as usual at WBZ. 24/7, full power.

Bob
post #545 of 10719 Old 11-15-2001, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mike - There's a huge thread over in the HDTV Programming forum which has the link. HTH.
post #546 of 10719 Old 11-17-2001, 03:46 PM

WCVB-DT will reduce the operating hours shortly. My understanding operation will be 4Pm to 12 Midmight 7days.
post #547 of 10719 Old 11-17-2001, 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by brandish
WCVB-DT will reduce the operating hours shortly. My understanding operation will be 4Pm to 12 Midnight 7days.

That is disappointing to hear. I'm afraid that WCVB won't be the only station to take advantage of the new relaxed regulations. I see this as a big step backward in terms of the advancement of HDTV among the masses. And this in a year where ABC took such a giant step forward in terms of their commitment to HDTV.
As a television salesperson, my job is hard enough to show people the wisdom of buying HD sets now rather than waiting several years. Probably 85% of the people I talk to about HD think that there is currently no HD programing available. The other 15% thinks there is much less available than there actually is.
These new rules will only delay the move to HD. It's beginning to look as if NBC was the smart one the whole time.

Jay
post #548 of 10719 Old 11-18-2001, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by brandish
WCVB-DT will reduce the operating hours shortly. My understanding operation will be 4Pm to 12 Midmight 7days.

Ross, will this be the operating hours until 2006 when all the analog stations will supposedly be eliminated? This is bad news for me. I just got rid of cable and WCVB-DT is my only ABC outlet. From my condo, I cannot get an acceptable picture on WLNE.
post #549 of 10719 Old 11-19-2001, 07:02 PM

What the F***?

Hey you MGRS, I have a great idea. Lets go back to Black and
White broadcasts, save some money, lay off some workers,
etc.

Get a smaller screen-it looks sharper!

Steve Pelchat
post #550 of 10719 Old 11-19-2001, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by SPel699187@aol.com

What the F***?

Hey you MGRS, I have a great idea. Lets go back to Black and
White broadcasts, save some money, lay off some workers,
etc.

Get a smaller screen-it looks sharper!

Even better, let's just eliminate TV altogether and go back to AM radio!!!!!
post #551 of 10719 Old 11-21-2001, 09:23 AM

You can send messages to both WFXTDT and WHDH using their web site.

WFXTDT, click on Your Ideas at http://www.fox25.com/default.htm

WHDHDT, at http://www.whdh.com/contact/

I asked WFXTDT why I can no longer get WFXTDT, No reply.

I asked WHDH when would the tonight show be in HD. They replied. I again replied and said I'm sorry they can't afford the equipment, but understand that their budget is tight being that many people are switching to WBZ & WCVB both for HD and non HD as thanks for showing HDTV.

Maybe I should also send messages to NBC and FOX.
post #552 of 10719 Old 11-21-2001, 03:02 PM

I just got the following reply from WFXT-DT:

Thank you for your email.

WFXT had planned to have our digital transmission back to regular power by now,
but because of circumstances beyond our control, we have been forced to delay
our plans. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a timeline for when our
transmission will return to normal.

We thank you for your patience, and apologize for the inconvenience.
post #553 of 10719 Old 11-21-2001, 07:51 PM

I also sent them a message this morning. I too received the same reply. Hopefully they get the point. We will see.

I work one exit down on RT 128 from their studios. On my trek's to Best Buy I pass their building, which is getting a major makeover. Maybe their "circumstances beyond our control" are the $$'s for the studio expansion? I miss The Simpsons on the big screen Sunday nights in DTV....

---Andy Garabedian
post #554 of 10719 Old 11-22-2001, 05:19 AM

Andyg,

I'm glad you sent WFXT-DT a message. I think it lets them know what the demand for DT is.

There are rumors that NBC will broadcast parts of the Winter Olympics in HDTV. We all know that WHDH-DT does not broadcast anything is HD. I let them know using http://www.whdh.com/contact/ and NBC at http://www.nbc.com/nbc/footer/Contact_Us.shtml that I would like them to.

Mike
post #555 of 10719 Old 11-23-2001, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

WCVB-DT is my only ABC outlet as I do not receive cable and WLNE is unviewable from my location. So I was a bit more than dissappointed when WCVB-DT did not come on the air this afternoon until about 5PM. I thought the hours of operation was 4PM-midnight. Well, they did go off the air at midnight. PLEASE WCVB, be consistent!!! I understand the cost problems associated with transmitting a redundant signal (for some) but if you say you will come on at 4PM, please come on at 4PM. Thank you!
post #556 of 10719 Old 11-24-2001, 07:29 AM
cab

Is wcvb-dt broadcasting at a lower power level than they were at the begining of the month? Thanks to the hints above, I was able to tune in cvb last night but the signal was not strong enough for my 6000 to lock in. This means I was able to add the station, but the signal wasn't strong enough for me to see anything on -01 or -02. Maybe I dont need to climb out on the ladder and move the antenna just a smidge? If I knew it was a problem with them, and not me, I'd be ok. I really dred dragging my buddy out and doing all the tweaking attempts only to find out the problem is not on my end.

tia

cab
post #557 of 10719 Old 11-24-2001, 07:55 AM

Cab,

I had no problem with WCVB-DT last night. I don't know about the power but I think you are closer then me. It is going to be a pain to adjust an outdoor antenna because they are only on the air around dark. Have you tried using a map to find your baring to Needham? I think they are near exit 19 on 128. I think you have to add 15 deg to a magnetic compass. Maybe someone else knows more about that.

Mike
post #558 of 10719 Old 11-24-2001, 08:05 AM
cab

Thanks Mike

As far as I know, the antenna is pointed correctly. When it was installed at the beginning of the month, it worked great for wcvb. Just a day or 2 later, I started having problems. I was thinking maybe it just needed to move like .5 to 1 inch more to the right. Now, given that they are only broadcast during x hours, I'm reluctant to move the antenna. I get 4 and 7 ok when I tune to those stations. Bob Hess at WBZ suggested the antenna be adjusted to tune channel 44 (analog) to the best possible signal. That's what we did. Although now that I think about it, I haven't looked at 44 since then. I'll try that. Ugh, this stuff is such a science with regard to just being pointed slightly off the mark gives you no signal. It's tough for the layman to do on their own. You are right. I am only about 10 miles from the towers as the crow flies. I would have thought I'd get a great signal on all of them.

thanks for the info

cab
post #559 of 10719 Old 11-24-2001, 08:34 AM

Cab,

You know how I like to promote the $18.00 RS double bow-tie antenna. You may want to it a try.

Mike
post #560 of 10719 Old 11-24-2001, 08:37 AM
cab

thanks, been there, done that. I have a channel master 3021 double bow tie mounted outside and pointed at the towers.

cab
post #561 of 10719 Old 11-24-2001, 11:37 AM

It was a real bummer our ABC affiliate didn't start transmitting their digital signal until late afternoon on Friday. What a bonehead move. As it turned out, THE college game of the year could only be watched digitally starting with the 3rd quarter or so.

Just some advice: maybe start transmitting a little earlier on holidays and weekends or when Nebraska is down 35-3?

Luckily, the CBS game was HD so I wouldn't have watched it until the end of the CBS game anyway...

Still, kind of a mini "Heidi" incident. I'm sure this won't be enough for them to rethink their strategy but interesting something like this occured so quickly after they cut transmission hours.
post #562 of 10719 Old 11-24-2001, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

At least living in Boston you had the option of watching analog ch. 5. In Taunton, my only option is digital 5. This 'reduced hours thing' really bites the big one!
post #563 of 10719 Old 11-25-2001, 07:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mike,

The direct connect vs. jointenna for the NH feed messed up my other stations, particularly 20-2, so I pulled the feed (pre-amp, jointenna, and all). Alias is backup. Goodby WENH until I mount an outdoor antenna way up high.

I just wish we had a reliable way to know what 2-01,2,3 are broadcasting and what it is. Also wish the other nets (besides CBS) were on small dish sat.

My setup is getting me good readings on digital stations (excepting Fox), and I'm getting good analog all around EXCEPT Channel 7. Any ideas?

Tim

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #564 of 10719 Old 11-27-2001, 09:40 AM

Last night, I'm watching MNF and at midnight, our wonderful Boston ABC affiliate shuts down the digital transmission.

I understand the concept of keeping costs down but, holy schnikees, some common sense needs to be used! C'mon, at least wait to shut down until whatever happens to be on at midnight finishes.

Thank you. I feel better.
post #565 of 10719 Old 11-27-2001, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jeff43
Last night, I'm watching MNF and at midnight, our wonderful Boston ABC affiliate shuts down the digital transmission.

They don't even give a sign off. Just pull the plug!!!
post #566 of 10719 Old 11-27-2001, 12:25 PM

Thanks for voicing your experiences regarding the shut down.

Last night, I went downstairs for my midnight snack (during Monday Night Football).

I returned to find my plasma screen dark.

My guess was the local ABC channel pulled the plug but it seemed to dumb to believe.

I surfed back to the non digital channel and there was the football game.

I hope they at least finish the game before shutting down in the future.
post #567 of 10719 Old 11-27-2001, 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MikeD
They don't even give a sign off. Just pull the plug!!!

I sent them a message about Monday Night Football by going to http://www.thebostonchannel.com/ and clicking the dropdown next to Contact WCVB.
post #568 of 10719 Old 11-28-2001, 12:27 PM

Here's the text of my e-mail to WCVB's station management:

Quote:

I'm writing to complain about Monday night's broadcast of MNF. I can't believe you cut the signal prior to the end of the game! Some of your viewers' ONLY method of receiving Channel 5 is your digital broadcast via their digital set top HDTV tuners because they only have a UHF antenna. No VHF antenna. No DBS satellite. No cable. One of the reasons we got our DTV tuners is to free ourselves from the cable monopoly, and we get a much better picture in the bargain.

Please, please, please - use common sense when using the privilege granted to you by the FCC by allowing you to cut back the hours and power levels of your digital broadcasts. Don't pull a "Heidi" in the middle of a network broadcast (and I hope you know the history of the infamous "Heidi" incident during the 1968 AFL playoff game between the Oakland Raiders and the New York Jets...). Believe me, if things like this happen in the future, I (along with dozens of other Boston area DTV viewers) will let my local congressmen know my feelings when it comes time for the Congress to debate the FCC's plans to take back spectrum that was GIVEN to you FREE as part of the DTV transition.

--

Jon Gauthier
"If I'm not sailing I'd rather be watching sailing in HD!" - Me
post #569 of 10719 Old 11-28-2001, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I would suggest a copy also go to each and every one of the FCC commisioners (or whatever they are called) and admonish them for a very lame policy decision.

Regards,
Steve
post #570 of 10719 Old 11-28-2001, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Well stated Jon. Unfortunately the programming execs at WCVB care more about saving $$$ than they do about their digital viewers who are being shortchanged big time. The MNF fiasco is just one example. Last Saturday WCVB-DT came on the air almost an hour late during the Colorado-Nebraska game. And this coming Saturday's big Miami-Virginia Tech game at 1PM will be a noshow at 5-1. And also forget about anything earlier than 4PM New Year's Day. They sure picked a good time to cut back on their broadcast schedule. Merry Christmas ch.5!!!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page