7Likes

post #31 of 10726 Old 05-22-2001, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jay,

Here are the settings I arrived at using the color bars on WFXT-DT and Avia blue filter. I've noticed that while they work failrly well for most programming, that occassionally certain channels/shows seem to show more red push, particularly in flesh tones (Ally McBeal last night seemed to have very high inherent red levels while the show prior to it, Boston Public, looked pretty normal.) This could probably be equialized by reducing the color setting even further (its already reduced somewhat in these setting to combat red push.) Also, note that these settings were performed in "hybrid" mode, so 480p/1080i. I've done A/B comps between 480i and 480p and it seems like the 480i mode probably requires different settings since it exhibited significantly more reds than 480p mode.

Contrast -22
Black Lvl 2
Color 3
Tint 3
Sharpness -30

Temp Film, Flesh tone Off, SVM off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 10726 Old 05-22-2001, 05:51 PM

Doug,

Thanks for the settings, as well as your comments on the changes in settings for the OTA channels in the Boston area. The difference seems to have been caused by using the antenna setup within the TU-HDS20 menu, instead of the usual unplugging. When I do the latter it comes up as usual.
post #33 of 10726 Old 05-23-2001, 07:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

It appears WFXT-DT PSIP Channel mapping is working. Dish 6000 updated. DST-3000 correctly identifies (and still allows Advanced Programming Guide to provide schedule info - like WHDH-DT but unlike WBZ-DT).

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #34 of 10726 Old 05-25-2001, 12:14 PM

I was wondering if there's anybody reading this thread in the same area as me. Before taking the plunge on an antenna, I'd like to find out if there's any hope!

I live in Townsend, which is about 35 miles from the antenna farm at bearing 315. Unfortunately, I've got a 100 foot rocky hill directly between my house and the antenna. Interestingly, antennaweb.org says that a medium power directional would be enough for the DTV stations, and adding a preamp would be enough for NTSC stations. I checked the detailed map, and it's not a glitch in their lookup... my property is in a little burst of light green.

The WAF isn't very high for putting up an antenna without knowing for sure it will work. If there's anybody else nearby whose had good or bad luck, it would sure help.

Thanks!
post #35 of 10726 Old 05-25-2001, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Originally posted by PKurmas:
[b]I was wondering if there's anybody reading this thread in the same area as me. Before taking the plunge on an antenna, I'd like to find out if there's any hope!
B]

If you have a neighbor with an outside antenna, see how well they can see channel 44, WGBX, an analog channel. If it is relatively ghost free, you have a good chance of seeing the Boston digital channels.

Bob Hess
Director, Broadcast Operations/Engineering
WBZ-TV/WSBK-TV/WLWC-TV/WBZ-AM/WODS-FM

post #36 of 10726 Old 05-26-2001, 06:32 PM

From my experience with it, I strongly recommend the MegaWave MTV-1 indoor antenna. I can pick up all the HD channels with this indoor. It can be purchased at
http://www.megawave.com/mtv1.htm

By the way, what digital range does channel 7-1 broadcast? Is it an upcoverted 480p?

Matt
post #37 of 10726 Old 05-26-2001, 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by shelly:
Is there any current information as to when Boston PBS (WGBH) or NBC (WHDH) might begin to transmit the HD programming?

[This message has been edited by shelly (edited 05-22-2001).]

Last week I attended a presentation at WGBH where they discussed their latest technology advancements. Unfortunately their CTO seems to be very down on HDTV and DTV and rather than informing their members of its availability (as readers of this forum can attest to), he kept trying to tell the audience that it doesn't exist. I spoke with him briefly afterward and he complained about the cost of running their DTV transmitter (he indicated that it is ready to go and that they are simply unmotivated to turn it on). I suggested that they could at least turn it on when PBS was showing HD specials and he said that was something they had not considered but would look into. I spoke to some of their other staff members who seemed more interested in HDTV and I suggested that they set up a fund for donors to contribute to expressly in support of HDTV so that they can judge the potential audience. To help them get started, I made a healthy pledge contingent on their first airing of HDTV. If others are interested in seeing WGBH return to a position of leadership in television broadcasting (or at least the equal of Springfield's PBS station which has been on the air since last year), I encourage you to contact the station and let your voices be heard. Thanks,

--Marc

post #38 of 10726 Old 05-27-2001, 07:47 AM

I sent them a note this morning from their Contact Us Web page. http://www.wgbh.org/contact/
post #39 of 10726 Old 05-27-2001, 09:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I am a previous WGBH Member. I have stopped & will continue to stop until WGBH goes digital AND provides a High Definition feed for those programs provided in the format.

It was downright disgraceful to have a John Singer Sargent show in HD and the pruported "flagship" of the PBS network not able to carry it last year. The foot dragging shows WGBH to be antithesis of an innovator and rather a broadcasting anachronism out of step with the quality given to your programming.

Please take steps to bring your Boston area viewers into the 2000s. Just going digital is insufficient, HD is necessary. Quality content should be available in quality form.

Very Respectfully,
Tim Rudolph

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #40 of 10726 Old 05-27-2001, 09:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Canned response:

Quote:

Dear WGBH viewer, listener or Web site visitor,

Thank you for contacting WGBH. We appreciate hearing from you. Your comments will be carefully read and recorded for future reference.
Because of the great volume of correspondence we receive, we cannot always respond to questions immediately. We will, however, do our best to respond in a timely manner.

If you have questions about the recently upgraded WGBH Web site, the bulk of the redesign is complete, but the site is still in development. We ask your patience while we work to bring you state-of-the-art functionality, and we appreciate your interest and support in the interim.

PBS member stations rely on your support. For information on how you can support your local PBS station, please visit http://www.pbs.org/aboutsite/faq.html. We encourage New England viewers and listeners to visit http://www.wgbh.org/pledge.

WGBH Audience and Member Services

Looking forward to the real response.

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #41 of 10726 Old 05-27-2001, 06:17 PM

Re: PBS
I am fortunate enough to live in southeast NH and I can pick up the Boston stations and NH PBS station NHPTV DTV 57 (maps at 80-03 on my dish 6000) from Durham. They have been broadcasting nightly for at least 2 hours plus the weekend afternoons (mostly a hour demo) but show all the national PBS showings plus Smart Travels with Rudy Maxa on Sat evenings. They have recently started showing other digital PBS stations productions and reruns of national shows which has varied the content enough so that I check it every night. I support it as a member and hopefully others will also. You can see their schedule at http://www.nhptv.org/programs/prime.shtml

Question: Does anyone know what power level NHPTV DTV 57 is broadcasting at and when will they be at full power. Have e-mailed them but never received a reply.

Ron
post #42 of 10726 Old 05-27-2001, 07:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by rudolpht:
It appears WFXT-DT PSIP Channel mapping is working. Dish 6000 updated. DST-3000 correctly identifies (and still allows Advanced Programming Guide to provide schedule info - like WHDH-DT but unlike WBZ-DT).

Looks like 25 PSIP went out and came back again last night. Showing guide info on DST-3000.

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #43 of 10726 Old 05-29-2001, 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by r0mar:

Question: Does anyone know what power level NHPTV DTV 57 is broadcasting at and when will they be at full power. Have e-mailed them but never received a reply.

Ron

Surprising channel 11 didn't respond....(probably still recovering from "auction frenzy").

From NHPTV's Chief Engineer, Bob Ross:
"We were at 280KW erp, which is our current max..."
Currently they're under a construction permit, and it'll still be a while before they go full power.

I get Channel 57 very well in Framingham, MA using
a big UHF antenna and preamp. (I'm ~70 miles away.)

For program updates, email Bob Ross <BRoss@NHPTV.UNH.EDU> and ask to be put on his quarterly HDTV programming list. (It gives the program's initial airing time; Channel 57 often stays on later for these broadcasts.) Sometimes Bob has been able to give us some "heads-up" warning about the Channel 11's live broadcasts (e.g. UNH hockey), other times (like tests from the Channel 11 auction, as well as after-hours testing, you're going to have to tune-in at the right time.)

Location and signal strength reports welcome, including the seasonal changes (i.e. did the leaves help/hurt with reception.)

Also email rlore@nhptv.unh.edu and ask to be put on the NHPTV e-news newsletter (and lobby him to also have it include Channel 57 programs.)

It also doesn't hurt to mention how much you like Channel 57 when you send back your membership renewal card. (WGBH reads your comments, but NHPTV really listens.)

----

Note for those who've tried to get Channel 57 earlier, try again. The transmitter is in Deerfield, NH on Saddleback Mountain, right next to the Channel 11 transmitter.
In early Spring, some [unknown] tweaks done by Channel 57 gave me a more-steady signal, and now with leaves on the trees, I get almost perfect reception [reduced multipath?].

post #44 of 10726 Old 05-29-2001, 01:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

I guess I'll have to erect a tower to get 57. I'm closer than Framinham but no dice. I even bought the Jointenna components to Mux in 57, but I can't get it only pointed there.

Here is the disappointing pseudo-response from WGBH:

Quote:

Reply-To: feedback <feedback@wgbh.org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Dear Mr. Rudolph,

Thank you for your interest in digital television at WGBH. We always enjoy hearing from our viewers.

Because we've had to carefully consider several important factors concerning digital transmission in the current broadcast environment, we have opted not to speed our timetable for launching a digital broadcast signal. For example, many people within the television broadcast community speculate that digital cable delivery will play out before over-the-air digital broadcasting. Therefore, negotiations continue with cable companies to carry our digital channels (19 and 43).

In addition, we must also consider when it is cost efficient to begin broadcasting a digital transmission, especially in light of the high cost of providing power for such technology when so few people currently own digital television sets in the Greater Boston area.

So, while the transmitter, antenna, and link from our studios is set and working, we have not yet developed a program schedule to feed it. The FCC's mandate for PBS stations to to be on the air with a digital signal by May, 2003 remains in place.

I hope you continue to enjoy the wide variety of programs on 'GBH 2, Select44 and 89.7fm, as well the ancillary content and information available at our Web site, www.wgbh.org.

And to keep up-to-date on our many offerings, we encourage you to visit our Web site today to sign up for our free bi-weekly program highlight e-newsletter, @gbh. You'll find information on your favorite public broadcasting Web sites, reminders of upcoming shows on 'GBH 2, Select44 and 89.7fm, and answers to your questions and the latest 'GBH news.

Sincerely,

WGBH Audience and Member Services

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #45 of 10726 Old 05-29-2001, 02:05 PM

Re: Boston NBC HD (WHDH)

I sent a query to WHDH yesterday, asking why they weren't passing through existant NBC HD programming in HD -- especially considering they are already broadcasting ATSC in 480i.

I received a message back today from Jim Shultis, Director of Engineering.

Jim said that the reason that they "choose" not to pass through in HD is that the only programming available so far is "The Jay Leno Show" (hmmmmm), and "the rest of the day" they "would have to upconvert to 1080i" (oh no!), and "this is something that HD sets do well" anyway (sure).

Wow. How could someone in such a position be so out of touch.

I encourage anyone who cares to write Jim at jshultis@whdh.com. Better yet, use their website and send via the "Contact Station Management" form. Or both.

Steve R
post #46 of 10726 Old 05-29-2001, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Tim,

The letter back from PBS sates that there are so few DTV viewers in the Boston area that they can't justify the cost. My sales experience tells me that these guys don't have a clue as to how many DTV viewers in the Boston area they need in order to justify turning on digital and HD!

I recommend replying to their reply by asking how many viewers they need. If they give you an answer that's a start.

Jack

Jack
post #47 of 10726 Old 05-29-2001, 07:58 PM

Maybe I'm reading too much between the lines, but, I've always had the feeling Jim Shultis wants to transmit 1080i material but is simply communicating the stations decision.

I am really curious as to what the actual costs are. Is it the price of electricity plus an extra engineer? Is it $100 a day, $500 or what?

I know Jim had made the comment that 480i looks about the same as up-converted material but we now know that to be absolutely incorrect. I realize Leno is the only real HD programming at NBC but up-converted material looks so much better than 480i, it's still well worth doing.

The real problem I have is with WGBH. I know there's been a couple comments about no more pledging money to them but lets not forget they are federally subsidized so, in essence, we have ALL given them money.

Let's not forget they are literally a switch away from going 19-DT and where do you think the money came from for that?

The PBS flagship station refusing to utilize what they already have. What a waste of money. I say maybe writing letters to our state senators informing them of the situation may help.

Granted, federal funding for PBS isn't what it used to be, however, I still think it's arrogant of them to throw digital transmissions to the wayside, particularly under these circumstances.
post #48 of 10726 Old 05-29-2001, 10:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by JackB:
I recommend replying to their reply by asking how many viewers they need. If they give you an answer that's a start.

Jack,

Good comment. Will do.

Jeff,

Agree.

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #49 of 10726 Old 05-30-2001, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Tim, Jeff,

I have been emailing with a technology VP at our local PBS station who is on the air with HD. His latest answer to me on this issue was that it cost them $10,000 per month to power the digital service. I guess that is significant and would justify a need for a large enough audience. I think what's needed next is to know how many viewers will offset that expense.

Jack

Jack
post #50 of 10726 Old 05-30-2001, 07:47 AM
jhe
AVS Special Member

Let's see. 1000 viewers contributing 100 dollars per year = 100,000 dollars. This would power the transmitter for well over a year if they went on for Prime time like WENH-DT does, assuming WGBH has costs like those mentioned .....

But I spent all my contribution money on a very expensive tower and antenna to get channel 57, at least some of the time (works great when cloudy but not raining.).....

But maybe there is good news: I wrote Jim Shultis (ch 42, re: The Tonight Show) and got a slightly improved response. He said he hoped to do 1080i within a year. So maybe we are starting to get a critical mass???

[This message has been edited by jhe (edited 05-30-2001).]
post #51 of 10726 Old 05-30-2001, 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JackB:
Tim, Jeff,

I have been emailing with a technology VP at our local PBS station who is on the air with HD. His latest answer to me on this issue was that it cost them $10,000 per month to power the digital service. I guess that is significant and would justify a need for a large enough audience. I think what's needed next is to know how many viewers will offset that expense.

Jack

This is in line with what I heard at the WGBH Technical Presentation when speaking with their CTO, David Liroff. While I agree that's a fair piece of change, I don't really care if they broadcast Sesame Street digitally. If they just turned it on for the PBS HD specials (say 10 hours per week), that cost would drop to about $600 per month, and I'd find it very hard to believe that there aren't enough viewers in the Boston area to directly support that cost through ear-marked contributions.

--Marc
post #52 of 10726 Old 05-30-2001, 08:34 AM

This is a new story, I thought it was that CH 19 was not free and that they were waiting for the low power station to vacate the channel. I guess GBH is not encouraging the current Ch 19 user to vacate. I do agree that having invested all that money (federal funds) they are unwilling to use the equipment. I would be willing to donate on a monthly basis if they would do just 2 or 3 hours per night or when HDTV programing is available from PBS. I guess GBH does not want to be an innovator as they have claimed in the past. Guess I will be watching CH 57 when I get my antenna back up on the roof of my new house.

------------------
HDjunky

HDjunky
post #53 of 10726 Old 05-30-2001, 05:47 PM

jimg,

Thanks for the update on Ch57. Almost ready to install the outside antenna on the new house.

Thanks again,

Pat
post #54 of 10726 Old 05-30-2001, 08:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

This was my response to the response last night. No feedback yet.

Quote:

Dear "WGBH Audience and Member Services,"

Appreciate response, but do you know how "few people currently own digital television sets in the Greater Boston area?" I would venture to guess many more than NH Public TV & Springfield, MA PBS already serve.

Given that cable standards for HD carriage are not established and over the air is, I would guess that the lack of digital sets not being sold is a self fulfilling prophecy. Also, isn't free over the air carriage consistent with the public part of PBS?

Not trying to be a devil's advocate but am interesting in receiving quality High Definition content like so many PBS stations across the nation.

Respectfully,
Tim Rudolph

I also sent Mr Shultis my communication to the FCC regarding WHDH.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #55 of 10726 Old 05-30-2001, 08:03 PM

I cannot receive ch 42 tonight to watch the NBA playoff game-- my dtc100 reports a signal strength of 88, yet also reports 'weak signal'. I live in Lynnfield. Anybody else similarly affected?

------------------
Paul
post #56 of 10726 Old 05-30-2001, 08:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Paul,

I'm getting 89% reception of a blank screen.

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #57 of 10726 Old 05-30-2001, 08:14 PM

Tim,

Well that makes two of us--what the heck is going on with WHDH? My guess is they have not switched theier DTV content stream to their modulator, hence a lot of empty bits are flowing into the air.

--Paul

------------------
Paul
post #58 of 10726 Old 05-30-2001, 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Prjoy:
Guess I will be watching CH 57 when I get my antenna back up on the roof of my new house.

CH 57 is doing some tower work this week; expect it to be back on air Fri. eve.

I get CH 57 "loud and clear" from Framingham with the CM Parascope and 28db preamp. It'll be a lot easier for you since you're closer to CH 57 as well as being farther from both the Needham towers (and CH 56), and Springfield's WGBY-57.

Happy rotoring!
post #59 of 10726 Old 05-31-2001, 09:47 AM

A Panasonic TU-HDS20 has the digital signal at 7-1. The game was on it last night. It puts the digital there and not at a channel 42.

Matt
post #60 of 10726 Old 05-31-2001, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

On my E*6000 WHDH also maps to 7-1, but I too received no picture last night. Signal strength of 75-85, but no picture.

Chip
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page