Boston, MA - OTA - Page 25 - AVS Forum
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Boston, MA - OTA
mikepa's Avatar mikepa 06:55 AM 12-20-2001
I was receiving high 80's of signal for both WHDH and WFXT last night but no picture on either of them.

From the posts above, I appear to not be alone when it came to WHDH, but others appear to be receiving WFXT programming. What time was this for you?

My Sony HD100 mapped FXT to 31.1 but nothing was there at 10pm. I tried remapping around midnight and still nothing.

I did not try remapping before I left this morning, but there was still no picture on 31.1. Am I alone with this problem?

mikep

eags's Avatar eags 07:12 AM 12-20-2001
I was getting WFXT at 7pm and I checked again and had it at 10pm too. Signal dropped under 50 sometimes but then popped up over 60 for most of the night here in Newton. WHDH was black all night.
atmosfera's Avatar atmosfera 08:01 AM 12-20-2001
whats up with 42-1 ? Cannot get it for two days. Panny shows "signal found" channel not available ? anyone else ?
Sal's Avatar Sal 08:19 AM 12-20-2001
Hi

I am also getting a signal on WHDH but no picture on the DISH 6000. On the HiPix it also shows strong signal , but no picture. The auto program feature of the HiPix is not including 42-1 or 7-1.

WFXT is coming in very strong now. Much stronger than I have had before. Also WGBH is testing the demo loop again this morning and 1 SD channel. The HD looks really good. Does anyone else see 2 SD channels? They have done that in the past, but right now I'm showing 2-1 HD and 2-2 SD on both the Hipix and DISH6000. I hope they dont do 2 SD channels!

Anyone know if 23 will continue to air HSN? I think I remembered that this was temporary pending their sale to a South-American channel?

Sal
brandish's Avatar brandish 12:19 PM 12-20-2001
Quote:


Originally posted by Sal
Hi

Also WGBH is testing the demo loop again this morning and 1 SD channel. The HD looks really good. Does anyone else see 2 SD channels? They have done that in the past, but right now I'm showing 2-1 HD and 2-2 SD on both the Hipix and DISH6000. I hope they dont do 2 SD channels!


Sal

My understanding is that WGBH had to send one of their SD encoders to their sister station in Springfield so that they cannot currently do two SD channels
Prelude2k's Avatar Prelude2k 01:32 PM 12-20-2001
Quote:


Originally posted by brandish


My understanding is that WGBH had to send one of their SD encoders to their sister station in Springfield so that they cannot currently do two SD channels

I hope WGBY doesn't start squishing down their feed to add SD subchannels because it looks GREAT right now. I put up a 2nd antenna just to get the PBS HDTV from WGBY since WGBH is so far behind.

-Mike
mikepa's Avatar mikepa 01:45 PM 12-20-2001
Quote:


Originally posted by Prelude2k


I hope WGBY doesn't start squishing down their feed to add SD subchannels because it looks GREAT right now. I put up a 2nd antenna just to get the PBS HDTV from WGBY since WGBH is so far behind.

-Mike

This sounds like a great idea to me. How do you attached both antennae to your receiver? Are they connected in serial? parallel? What sort of "Y" connector allows for two inputs and one outputs, yet does not multiplex the signals together?

Six months into this home theater thing and I feel as though I have barely scratched the learning curve.

mikep
atmosfera's Avatar atmosfera 01:50 PM 12-20-2001
what is the channel mapping for PBS HDTV please ?
Soycrema's Avatar Soycrema 01:51 PM 12-20-2001
HSN, channel 23 will be off the air soon (January 14 if I remeber correctly) It is being replaced by TELEFUTURA, a 24 hour Spanish station and affiliated to UNIVISION.
Prelude2k's Avatar Prelude2k 02:01 PM 12-20-2001
Quote:


Originally posted by mikepa


This sounds like a great idea to me. How do you attached both antennae to your receiver? Are they connected in serial? parallel? What sort of "Y" connector allows for two inputs and one outputs, yet does not multiplex the signals together?

Six months into this home theater thing and I feel as though I have barely scratched the learning curve.

mikep

I use a Jointenna I got from Starks Electronics in Worcester. It filters out all UHF channels but channel 58 (WGBY), but it does have a little bleed over into channel 56. Basically it has three connectors; one input to filter out all UHF but channel 58, one input for all channels but 58 I believe, and then the output to the reciever. The one i got has a short somewhere since it didn't work until I took an allagator clip and shorted it on the inside, I was way on a trip when I got it and out of the return period so stuck with it.

Also unfortunetely my 2nd antenna is UHF and VHF so I do have some noise on the VHF channels since this jointenna doesn't block VHF, however all the VHF channels out of Boston I watch have a UHF digital counterpart so it's not big deal to me.

-Mike
MikeD's Avatar MikeD 05:41 PM 12-20-2001
Quote:


Originally posted by MikeD
WFTX is up but WHDH is presently down, at least up here.


WHDH is now up. It looks like in HD frame with gray bars. The program info no longer has program title and time info like it did when they were in SD. Must be something about the HD converts???

It looks like 7.1 is HD and 7.2 is SD. I like it.
rudolpht's Avatar rudolpht 07:32 PM 12-20-2001
Quote:


Originally posted by MikeD
It looks like 7.1 is HD and 7.2 is SD. I like it.

I am getting 7-1 on the Dish 6000 & the DST-3000. No 7-2 or 42-2

Crossed fingers for Leno tonight.

Tim
Sal's Avatar Sal 08:11 PM 12-20-2001
I cant confirm for the 6000 yet (antenna not picking up 42 at all) but the HiPix is getting 42 on both 7-1 and 7-2. 7-1 with grey bars and looks better than 7-2 which is with black bars.

Whats the point of broadcasting an upconverted feed and a standard feed of the same channel?

Also WFXT looks nice. Does anyone know whether they went back to broadcasting 720p?

Sal
Soycrema's Avatar Soycrema 08:40 PM 12-20-2001
with the Dish 6000 I'm getting 42-1 with a good picture with grey bars and 42-2 which is just blank.
Still no Fox!!!!
rudolpht's Avatar rudolpht 09:40 PM 12-20-2001
PSIP changed on the 6000, now 42-1 upconvert and zip on 42-2.

7-1 on DST-3000 and blank local channel on 42-2 (no 7-2 mapping).

Leno is still SD but fingers still crossed. Hope's it's not someone forgeting to flip the switch.

Tim
MikeD's Avatar MikeD 09:45 PM 12-20-2001
Quote:


Originally posted by Sal
Whats the point of broadcasting an upconverted feed and a standard feed of the same channel?

So they can show HD when NBC has it and when they only have SD, home TVs can zoom it if they want to. Many HDTV can not zoom a 4:3 SD picture in a HD frame.

No HD Leno tonight but it looks like something soon.
HDTV_fan's Avatar HDTV_fan 10:17 PM 12-20-2001
This is awesome and long awaited news. It's nice to see that WHDH will finally live up to its call letters (High Definition Home).
Eagerly anticipating the first true high-definition broadcast,

--Marc
Benji's Avatar Benji 11:16 PM 12-20-2001
Only getting a signal of about 34% down in Taunton, using a RS ST-antenna but getting a beautiful picture on 42-1 on my DTC100. I did not know that HD could be broadcast using grey sidebars. I turned on too late to catch LENO but from the preceding posts I guess LENO is still in SD. If I remember correctly, I think Jim Shultis said WHDH was attempting to get an HD decoder from NBC. Must not have received it yet. At least W(HD)H is making the effort. Thank you WHDH and Happy Holidays.
jhe's Avatar jhe 08:45 AM 12-21-2001
Does anybody know what's going on and when WGBH-DT will have channel 19 full time????

From the FCC web site I gather that WCEA-LP was trying to move their ch 19 to 40 but has given up on this. (Though 40 listed as owned by Paxson has been simulcasting their 19).

They are listed as moving to 58 on their construction permit still.

And now, they seem to be trying to move to channel 3! I assume this is some temporary measure due to ch 58 delays, or maybe a plot by the MPAA to interfere with our VCRs!
DMILANI's Avatar DMILANI 08:46 AM 12-21-2001
Maybe I keep missing it, but I always hear others talk about these great promos that CBS has for its primetime shows. Apparently, there's even a new one that showcases CBS's HDTV sports coverage that aired last night during CSI.

Now, I recorded CSI with my HiPix and just previewed it quickly. No HDTV CBS promo (commercial) can be found.

Bob Hess, are you guys not passing through these HiDef promos and/or commercials from CBS? Maybe with my bad luck, I always miss it somehow.

Anyone else in the Boston area ever see these supposedly great looking segments?

Dino
eags's Avatar eags 08:49 AM 12-21-2001
I have and they look AWESOME!!! Havent heard about the sports one though.
jimg's Avatar jimg 09:53 AM 12-21-2001
Quote:


Originally posted by jhe
And now, they seem to be trying to move to channel 3! I assume this is some temporary measure due to ch 58 delays, or maybe a plot by the MPAA to interfere with our VCRs!

No, it's just FCC's contribution to the "Economic Stimulus Package"...

1) it'll create jobs and overtime for cable technicians to deal with the interference created when the signal interferes with the cable box's channel 3 output.

2) it'll create sales of cable boxes that output via composite or svideo instead of RF.
2a) ...and possibly sales of TV sets that don't have composite or svideo inputs!

3) WCEA-LP is going to have to lease equipment/tower space, etc. to broadcast on channel 3.
Bogney Baux's Avatar Bogney Baux 10:46 AM 12-21-2001
Quote:


Originally posted by DMILANI
are you guys not passing through these HiDef promos and/or commercials from CBS? Maybe with my bad luck, I always miss it somehow.
Anyone else in the Boston area ever see these supposedly great looking segments?

I get CBS-HD from 3 different stations. WBZ and KIRO from Canadian satellite and WCBS-DT over the air. Only KIRO from Seattle shows these HD promos on a regular basis. New York and Boston insert local commercials when the promo is on the network. Seattle apparently can not insert local commercials so they air the promo instead.
Doug G's Avatar Doug G 11:48 AM 12-21-2001
I'm again receiving WFXT-DT on 25-1, but its completely unwatchable. There are what appear to be continuous encoding breakups (you know, the typical green blocks/lines, pixelization, freezes, etc) on this channel about every 10-15 seconds on average. I know its not a reception problem since never once did my channel banner reappear (indicating my panny TU-HDS20 had lost and re-locked the signal like when I had some multipath/reception issues in another location.) I watched CSI in its entirety without a single dropout, artifact, or other oddity.

I have noticed the occassional problem which I always chalked up to an encoding glitch at the source, but they've always been mainly on WCVB-DT during HD content (not upconverted local stuff) and only very, very rarely on CBS. For example, there were lots of these "glitches" during Alias last Sunday. (Can anyone with a non-panny receiver confirm this?!) I just got the unit back after having the HW mods done to address the fan and audio dropouts, I hope I didn't get it back in worse shape than I sent it. If Fox has indeed gone back to 720p I really hope this isn't some kind of local 720p to 1080i upconvert problem in my unit...that would be a real bummer.

Anyone else seeing this or have any thoughts?
RAP's Avatar RAP 12:00 PM 12-21-2001
DougG,
I'm having generally poor reception problems all over the band (near your location). I do very occasionally get FXT signals/picture, totally unwatchable.
I'm having terrible signal problems with WHDH, cannot get a steady signal, it bounces constantly from bad (0%) to good (80%). But it's all over the map. The other Needham stations are not as bad but I'm getting many dropouts - unwatchable as well. I haven't any true HD OTA in quite a while. When the signal is steady, it's all upconverted SD.

I just upgrade the antenna to the Winegard 8 bay bow-tie to put this problem to bed but... The antenna is in the attic of an attached garage so it's only on top of one story structure as opposed to the attic on a two story house. Maybe it's time for an amplifier.
RAP's Avatar RAP 12:34 PM 12-21-2001
well, relocating the antenna a fair distance and getting very close to an outside wall has made a marked improvement. Signal is mostly steady ~75% (normal to good range on the Zenith) with only occasional excursions into the "bad range" and occalsional pixelization and drop outs. I'll see how it looks at night when it is usually better.
FXT-DT is now coming in and is generally watchable.
tom.lanning's Avatar tom.lanning 01:08 PM 12-21-2001
I have the original version of the Panasonic TU-HDS20 and I am also have problems with WFXT-DT in Littleton MA. I was able to watch them before their recent "power drop", but I am seeing the same things you mentioned.

Quote:


Originally posted by Doug G
I'm again receiving WFXT-DT on 25-1, but its completely unwatchable. There are what appear to be continuous encoding breakups (you know, the typical green blocks/lines, pixelization, freezes, etc) on this channel about every 10-15 seconds on average. I know its not a reception problem since never once did my channel banner reappear (indicating my panny TU-HDS20 had lost and re-locked the signal like when I had some multipath/reception issues in another location.) I watched CSI in its entirety without a single dropout, artifact, or other oddity.

I have noticed the occassional problem which I always chalked up to an encoding glitch at the source, but they've always been mainly on WCVB-DT during HD content (not upconverted local stuff) and only very, very rarely on CBS. For example, there were lots of these "glitches" during Alias last Sunday. (Can anyone with a non-panny receiver confirm this?!) I just got the unit back after having the HW mods done to address the fan and audio dropouts, I hope I didn't get it back in worse shape than I sent it. If Fox has indeed gone back to 720p I really hope this isn't some kind of local 720p to 1080i upconvert problem in my unit...that would be a real bummer.

Anyone else seeing this or have any thoughts?


Soycrema's Avatar Soycrema 01:47 PM 12-21-2001
same here, i was able to watch FOX at 55% or so signal strenght before the "powerdown", but now it is unwatchable, the signal jumps from 0 to 50% but it never locks in, just terrible!
Bob Hess's Avatar Bob Hess 05:14 PM 12-21-2001
For those who missed the first post, WBZ will be airing the movie "King David" Sunday morning from 3-5 AM for those night owls and those with HD recorders. Sorry, we are unable to air the movie at any other time. The movie will be in HD and will only air on WBZ-DT. Regular programming will be on the analog channel.

Bob
Prelude2k's Avatar Prelude2k 05:27 PM 12-21-2001
Is the WGBH transmitter in the same location as WBZ, WHDH, etc? I'm getting severe multipath with 75% of the signal, while WGBY is at 50% and crystal clear and going MUCH farther for me and thru the Berkshires. Was just curious since the other stations are rock solid.

WFXT has been pretty clear to me with about 75% of the signal, but I do get occasional drops once or twice and hour for no apparent reason.

-Mike
Tags: Displays
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop