post #8251 of 10680 Old 07-31-2008, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redseal94 View Post

Hi all,
I will be moving to Marlborough (175 Maple St.) in Aug. Can anyone tell me what the reception is like for ABC, FOX, NBC, and CBS? I have a Jensen TV931 antenna. Thanks.

Try tvfool.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8252 of 10680 Old 07-31-2008, 08:15 PM

Channel 5 is WAYYYYYY over sharpened, IMO.
post #8253 of 10680 Old 08-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Yup. I commented on this same EE problem with their 1080i feed in this thread back during the NBA playoffs. It was so bad I actually watched all the games on WMUR out of Manchester since they were passing the 720p network feed raw. There was also an audio problem where they weren't accounting for the processing delay when converting the 720p to 1080i so audio was leading video by a very noticeable amount. You could tell if a shot hit or missed while it was still only halfway to the hoop!

I was also reminded of this again while watching a few minutes of the late news at 11PM on my RS1x and 104" screen last night. Yech, completely unnatural. Ch 7, OTOH, actually didn't look too bad in this regard, although it did seem overly soft in general to the point where I wondered if they were actually shooting/producing 480p widescreen and upconverting to 1080i (the live studio shots anyway, the graphics actually did look like 1080i native.)

Someone needs to start EEA (Edge Enhancers Anonymous) for video professionals. Its the primary scourge of modern digital video, IMO, and needs to be stopped!
post #8254 of 10680 Old 08-01-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post

Yup. I commented on this same EE problem with their 1080i feed in this thread back during the NBA playoffs. It was so bad I actually watched all the games on WMUR out of Manchester since they were passing the 720p network feed raw. There was also an audio problem where they weren't accounting for the processing delay when converting the 720p to 1080i so audio was leading video by a very noticeable amount. You could tell if a shot hit or missed while it was still only halfway to the hoop!

I was also reminded of this again while watching a few minutes of the late news at 11PM on my RS1x and 104" screen last night. Yech, completely unnatural. Ch 7, OTOH, actually didn't look too bad in this regard, although it did seem overly soft in general to the point where I wondered if they were actually shooting/producing 480p widescreen and upconverting to 1080i (the live studio shots anyway, the graphics actually did look like 1080i native.)

Someone needs to start EEA (Edge Enhancers Anonymous) for video professionals. Its the primary scourge of modern digital video, IMO, and needs to be stopped!

Agreed, graphics looked great. On air talent live studio shots looked washed out. New weather graphics are an improvement, but they need to get rid of that green screen 7 before we all trip on the remote control to get rid of it and go back to CVB.
post #8255 of 10680 Old 08-13-2008, 06:59 PM

Does anyone what the current output power of WFXT-DT is?
post #8256 of 10680 Old 08-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone feel like joining me in voicing their displeasure to WHDH (via the "contact us" link on the website) over the lousy PQ during the Olympics resulting from their absolutely useless multicast? There's so much macroblocking during the swimming and diving events I have to force myself not to change the channel! Truly a disgrace for such a well-produced marquis event when its needlessly ruined over the "last mile".

Sorry, I'm feeling kinda feisty today.
post #8257 of 10680 Old 08-14-2008, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post

Anyone feel like joining me in voicing their displeasure to WHDH over the crappy PQ during the Olympics resulting from their absolutely useless multicast? I'm feeling kinda feisty today!

I haven't watched more than 5 minutes of the games but I am not surprised their station sucks all the way around.
post #8258 of 10680 Old 08-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litning View Post

Does anyone what the current output power of WFXT-DT is?

IIRC, Bill Holbrook indicated a while back that it wouldn't change "anytime soon" which I took to mean until the DTV transition date. If so, they should still be running around 78kW ERP.

I was curious myself so I went to the FCC site and looked up the current applications for WFXT which can be found here.

I think I remember seeing that WFXT-DT will stay on ch 31 after the transition and that data would seem to back it up. On the DT side they're currently licensed for 78kW and have two CP's (construction permits) for post DTV transition of 780kW and 950kW on ch 31 but using a different antenna. Looks like the antenna in use now will change to a DX facility (DTV backup) and remain at the current power level. So looks like any meaningful increase won't happen until next Feb. (By then I should hopefully have FIOS since they just laid the conduit a couple weeks ago!)
post #8259 of 10680 Old 08-14-2008, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson View Post

I haven't watched more than 5 minutes of the games but I am not surprised their station sucks all the way around.

Almost all the NBC stations, especially those in the larger markets broadcast the weather subchannel. That is not the only reason for the extremely poor PQ of the Olympics. They have been consistently poor broadcasting the Olympics even before they had the weather subchannels. I suggest you check out the Olympic topic in the main HDTV Programming forum for reasons why the Olympics broadcast is so poor. Everyone has it bad, not just us.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #8260 of 10680 Old 08-15-2008, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson View Post

Olympic PQ = FSU team quality
post #8261 of 10680 Old 08-15-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Almost all the NBC stations, especially those in the larger markets broadcast the weather subchannel. That is not the only reason for the extremely poor PQ of the Olympics. They have been consistently poor broadcasting the Olympics even before they had the weather subchannels. I suggest you check out the Olympic topic in the main HDTV Programming forum for reasons why the Olympics broadcast is so poor. Everyone has it bad, not just us.

The sub-channel, 7.2 doesn't take up that much bandwidth and therefore shouldn't really effect 7.1 that much. A lot of bandwidth is required when you have a lot of movement especially fast movement. That doesn't occur on 7.2 and thus shouldn't pose a problem. I suspect that any issues there are will be with the network, or links that are in or from China.

Just my 2ยข worth!

Bill Bibeau, CBT
Retired Broadcasting Engineer
post #8262 of 10680 Old 08-15-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji2 View Post

Olympic PQ = FSU team quality

Look who showed up the peanut gallery from Hokie land
post #8263 of 10680 Old 08-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Well most of the Olympics programming thread was lost with the recent database problems, but I did see at least one or two comments over there alluding to the fact that it was primarily a network distribution issue, although the sub-channel doesn't exactly help either - its using some bandwidth. There are also a few pics posted demonstrating the problem. I'm not sure I'm seeing anything that egregious, but its also not so subtle that my wife doesn't notice either. And I'm displaying using component video on an analog HD RPTV (Pio Elite 510) which does tend to take the edge off most digital artifacts like this. Maybe those folks posting the pics are using newer fixed pixel displays which are much less forgiving in this respect.

So I sent feedback to WHDH mgmt thru the web site and promptly got a response from their engineering director. He was sympathetic to the PQ issues and said it was due to the current NBC distribution network limitations. He also said NBC is working on an upgrade to address these issues but that it won't be rolled out until fall. This is good news for Pats games on Sunday nights! Too bad they couldn't get it done before the Olympics.
post #8264 of 10680 Old 08-25-2008, 11:01 AM

Hello:
Perhaps as this is an OTA thread - might get some resonance here. I am in Southern RI and with both a Samsung Set Top Box as well as HDD DG500 Sony High Def video recorder/tuner, have enjoyed DTV/High Definition and even come close to saying hello and goodbye to my trusty roof mounted amplified antenna - as would come home and leave in the morning. If I thought antenna could use a snack - would even leave a little milk for it / and pat its boney (amped) head. Not having to pay for cable -at least til now, will do this to the terminally cheap.

However, seems to me the switch over to all DTV - may result in a boon for cable/satellite companies. Many is the time -if the leaves are full / or the weather is bad, my 20/25 digital stations get whittled down to 10/15 - and particularly troublesome, will experience drop outs / 'no signal' notices. In these instances it was good to know there was the option of going with the analog tuner and putting up with a little analog snow or softness as opposed to .... nothing if the digital falls below a critical point.

Seems like those of us who take pleasure in OTA will be suffering a diminution
of choice if we try to stay chaste (cable -ly). Is it possible signal transmission strength can be increased - enhanced on the sending end>?

Barry
post #8265 of 10680 Old 08-25-2008, 01:39 PM

To get better reception, I would replace the coax cable from the antenna to the TV(s) to RG6 Quad Cable, replace the antenna with the Channel Master 4221/4228 or Antennas Direct DB4/DB8, and try adding an signal amplifier. As far as the TV stations's transmitting signal, that's up to FCC and the station, and nothing can really be done on your end for that.
post #8266 of 10680 Old 08-26-2008, 03:31 AM

Barry

I live in southern RI also and get very good reception but mostly due to the fact I live 126 feet above sea level and have a straight shot to the north.

Anyway...I was having problems with channel 12 dropping in and out. I went to WALMART and bought a amp for 24.00. It helped a lot. If it don't work, bring it back.

I should also mention that I already have an amp on the coax that comes directly from the antenna. From there it splits two different ways. Then from one of those lines, it splits off to a DVR and my digital TV. Try it...it may work for you.
post #8267 of 10680 Old 08-26-2008, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the responses, guys.
Rampart - your set up quite similar to me. Except - I got splitters for my splitters. Tracked one of the leads down - and found I had a whole other family I had forgotten about. Least I remembered how many antennas I got.
Seriously - I might try that additional amp. Thanks again.

Barry
post #8268 of 10680 Old 08-29-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:

WEDH DT-45 Hartford, WEDN DT-9 Norwich & CPTV HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzareski
Wednesday August 27, 2008:

1) WEDH DT-45 Hartford has been operating today on one power amplifier at approximately 58% power. Additional work is needed to bring the second amplifier on line, which would provide 100% power (465 Kw ERP).
PSIP WEDH-1 pgm 3 only. 4, 5, 6 blank.
WEDH 24-1

2) WEDN DT-9 Norwich is operating at 100% power (1.25 Kw ERP). On February 18, 2008, power will be increased to 4.2 Kw ERP.
PSIP WEDN-1 pgm 3 only. 4, 5, 6 blank.
WEDN 53-1

3) A failure this weekend in the CPTV HD MC has caused a temporary suspension of all HD transmissions. The current transmissions are originating from the CPTV SD MC which are being upconverted to HD. Equipment is on order and hopefully CPTV HD MC operations will be resumed in a couple of days...

4) You'll know it when you see it...!!!.

Saturday August 30, 2008:

FYI Update:

1) At 2:58 PM Friday, August 29, 2008, WEDH DT-45 Hartford has been operating at 100% power (465 Kw ERP).

2) WEDN DT-9 Norwich has been operating at 100% power (1.25 Kw ERP) since 8:17 PM Wednesday August 27, 2008.

3) CPTV hopes to restore CPTV HD MC operations by the end of next week.

4) You'll definately know it when you see it...!!!

Z
post #8269 of 10680 Old 09-03-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzareski View Post

Saturday August 30, 2008:

FYI Update:

1) At 2:58 PM Friday, August 29, 2008, WEDH DT-45 Hartford has been operating at 100% power (465 Kw ERP).

2) WEDN DT-9 Norwich has been operating at 100% power (1.25 Kw ERP) since 8:17 PM Wednesday August 27, 2008.

3) CPTV hopes to restore CPTV HD MC operations by the end of next week.

4) You'll definately know it when you see it...!!!

CPTV HD operations was restored at 7:30 AM today, Wednesday September 3, 2008. Enjoy tonights broadcasts...

Z
post #8270 of 10680 Old 09-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

BC- Geogia Tech game is in HD on CW28 in Providence but not in HD on TV38 TV 38 needs more upgrades. I am south of Boston and get CW28-HD via Comcast.
post #8271 of 10680 Old 09-06-2008, 02:31 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpt6 View Post

BC- Geogia Tech game is in HD on CW28 in Providence but not in HD on TV38 TV 38 needs more upgrades. I am south of Boston and get CW28-HD via Comcast.

This was not a case of insufficient equipment at TV38. Unfortunately, we had a problem with our satellite feed which prevented us from receiving the game in HD this afternoon.

Apologies for the disappointment.

Robert Yankowitz
Chief Engineer
CBS Boston
[WBZ-TV | WSBK-TV]
post #8272 of 10680 Old 09-12-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Bob,

Not a good start to the new season of Jeopardy on 38. 3 of 4 nights this week in SD. What gives?

SMK
post #8273 of 10680 Old 09-12-2008, 09:53 AM

Just a quick update. Because of tower issues WFXT can not commence construction of our new antenna and transmission line for our final licensed power of 780KW EIRP until after our analog channel is shut down in February. We are planning on beginning construction almost immediately there after and must be completed by August. We will operate on our current DTV antenna and power during that time except for an occasional construction issue that requires us to go to our low power Aux transmitter.

We appreciate your patience and hope to complete construction asap.

Bill Holbrook
Chief Engineer WFXT-TV
post #8274 of 10680 Old 09-12-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHolbrook View Post

Just a quick update. Because of tower issues WFXT can not commence construction of our new antenna and transmission line for our final licensed power of 780KW EIRP until after our analog channel is shut down in February. We are planning on beginning construction almost immediately there after and must be completed by August. We will operate on our current DTV antenna and power during that time except for an occasional construction issue that requires us to go to our low power Aux transmitter.

Bill Holbrook
Chief Engineer WFXT-TV

Hi Bill. I have an unrelated WFXT question. Does your station have an ETA for converting your local news to HD? Apologies if this has already been asked and answered.
post #8275 of 10680 Old 09-12-2008, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Hey Bob, WSBK-DT jacked up the volume level on commercials again. Their in-house produced commercials/promos are unbelievably loud, louder than they've ever been (ear shattering in some cases).

Anyone else experience this?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #8276 of 10680 Old 09-13-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Hey Bob, WSBK-DT jacked up the volume level on commercials again. Their in-house produced commercials/promos are unbelievably loud, louder than they've ever been (ear shattering in some cases).

Anyone else experience this?

Yup- they're quite loud for me too- sometimes watch Wheel of Fortune. Quite annoying!
post #8277 of 10680 Old 09-15-2008, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Bob,

Not a good start to the new season of Jeopardy on 38. 3 of 4 nights this week in SD. What gives?

SMK

Bob,

We're now up to 4/5 with Friday's also in SD. Are we going to see Jeopardy in HD this season?

SMK
post #8278 of 10680 Old 09-18-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:

Bill Holbrook
Chief Engineer WFXT-TV

Hope you can get your construction going as soon as possible- with the economy/employment going downhill, OTA is going to be important to many more as folks drop cable/sat/fios... If I get axed Comcast is the first thing to go for me. I'm sure the elderly who are living on fixed income (social security only) are having a tough time with inflation...
post #8279 of 10680 Old 09-18-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I hope we will see HD news from Fox when this is done.
post #8280 of 10680 Old 09-18-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Bill Holbrook
Chief Engineer WFXT-TV

It's a shame it will take so long. I still can't get WFXT in digital up here with a cm4228. I get all the others from that area, but FOX isn't strong enough.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page