Boston, MA - OTA - Page 345 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #10321 of 10680 Old 04-23-2012, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like GBH 2 is coming back up to power in that I can now get it. Any confirmation or is it atmospherics? I also notice WGBH world (44.2) is now being mirrored on 2.2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10322 of 10680 Old 04-23-2012, 01:06 PM

WOW! I can't believe how brutal the folks have been on the WGBH web site due to the Channel 2 outage. I know that whatever station I was at, we were never totally off the air unintentionally for more than a couple hours. We were a commercial station and got much more favorable comments than WGBH has gotten.

I feel bad for the guys at WGBH!

Bill Bibeau, CBT
Retired Broadcasting Engineer
post #10323 of 10680 Old 04-23-2012, 01:13 PM

I think they're mostly upset at the lack of information from WGBH. It took them quite a while to even put anything about the outage on their website.
post #10324 of 10680 Old 04-23-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBibeau View Post

WOW! I can't believe how brutal the folks have been on the WGBH web site due to the Channel 2 outage.

I feel bad for the guys at WGBH!

I agree. The silliest one was the comment by one guy asking why don't they just order an off the shelf part.
post #10325 of 10680 Old 04-24-2012, 05:59 PM

I guess the days of reliable terrestrial broadcast infrastructure are history now.

Stop looking at the picture and watch the show!
post #10326 of 10680 Old 04-25-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve125 View Post

I guess the days of reliable terrestrial broadcast infrastructure are history now.

I wouldn't say that at all. As long as there have been has been high level UHF (and heck even with VHF and FM), there have been RF burn-outs. It's a phenomenon of RF, and its happened for as long as such, and will happen too.

If anything, the technology has improved quite tremendously over the years.

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

Put your boots on folks, it's getting pretty deep in here!
Note: opinions and advice given here are mine and mine only.
post #10327 of 10680 Old 04-25-2012, 07:58 PM

Liked: 13
Another update from WGBH:

April 25, 2012

Tower work was delayed this week due to rain and windy conditions, but it should continue on Thursday, April 26, with the installation of a second auxiliary antenna to prepare for the removal of the damaged upper antenna.

Weather permitting, we expect that the tower crew will be working daily from 8:00am to 3:00pm, during which time WGBH 2 will need to further reduce its power output to maintain safe RF radiation levels for the crew working close to the transmitting antennas. And periodically WGBH may be switched between auxiliary antennas, requiring a full shutdown of Channel 2 lasting about 20 minutes for each operation. At approximately 3:00pm daily, WGBH 2 will go back to 70% of full power until 8:00am the next morning. This schedule may continue until the upper antenna is removed from the tower during the week of April 30.

The WGBX 44 signal should not be affected during the auxiliary antenna installation.

We're grateful for your continued patience as we work towards a permanent fix. And please check back for further updates.
post #10328 of 10680 Old 04-26-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1KNE View Post

I wouldn't say that at all. As long as there have been has been high level UHF (and heck even with VHF and FM), there have been RF burn-outs. It's a phenomenon of RF, and its happened for as long as such, and will happen too.

If anything, the technology has improved quite tremendously over the years.

Heck, I can remember back in the good old AM days when I was at WICE-AM in Providence on AM 1290 kHz., (Late 1960's) we had one at the base of one of our sticks! (Towers) And we were only at 5,000 watts and much lower in frequency than our UHF TV is now.

Bill Bibeau, CBT
post #10329 of 10680 Old 05-07-2012, 06:35 AM

I'm late to the topic about the antenna outage.
I just wanted to say I think it would be SCARY climbing to the top of a 1200 foot tower.
Step one is probably: Don't look down.

There are even SCARIER towers to climb; this one in North Dakota comes to mind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVLY-TV_mast
post #10330 of 10680 Old 05-07-2012, 07:25 AM

About half-way down on this link, you see the TOP section of the WBZ tower with ladder rails just sticking out from the side for the last 50-100 feet.
http://www.necrat.us/bztower.html

If I tried to climb that, I'd get about 1/4 of the way up and then I'd panic and FREEZE, holding onto the rail I was on for dear life.
They'd have to send a HELICOPTER up to pry me off the antenna so they could start broadcasting again.
post #10331 of 10680 Old 05-07-2012, 06:27 PM

Anyone else not getting channels 4, 38, 44, and 56 today? Rescanned, but didn't acquire them. I started receiving channel 4 (WBZ) just a few minutes ago. After last month's antenna failure, I no longer presume the fault lies on my end when stations go missing. This will be a lengthy repair process. Wish one of the affected stations would publish a projected timeline or progress reports.
post #10332 of 10680 Old 05-07-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHetor96 View Post

Anyone else not getting channels 4, 38, 44, and 56 today? Rescanned, but didn't acquire them. I started receiving channel 4 (WBZ) just a few minutes ago. After last month's antenna failure, I no longer presume the fault lies on my end when stations go missing. This will be a lengthy repair process. Wish one of the affected stations would publish a projected timeline or progress reports.

Problem is, with a project like this, of this magnitude, there is no fixed timeline. Work can be delayed due to several factors, mainly being weather and the condition of the mechanical equipment on the tower. "Rigging" a tower for an antenna replacement is not a 3 day set in stone deal, and this is not a antenna goes down, two days later, a new one goes up, type of deal. The antenna is heavy, the rigging equipment is heavy, and you're doing a balancing act of manuvering such gear on a guyed tower with two different face sizes. (I say it's a balancing act, but really, its very calculated engineered project. There is a lot of math that gets checked, rechecked, then checked once more before any work is completed). This project could take three weeks, it could take two months. There isn't a single person who knows for certain. I know it stinks to have reduced reception, but unfortunatley what happened there is an ultimate "worst case" scenaro, that no one wants to happen. The tower crews and the engineers are working their ends off to get this done, but time and weather are not on their side.

Also, you noted 56 being off the air? 56 is on a different tower, and is not affected by this work.

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

Put your boots on folks, it's getting pretty deep in here!
Note: opinions and advice given here are mine and mine only.
post #10333 of 10680 Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was in the Needham area at about 8 PM, and what appeared to be the upper section of the top-mounted antenna was suspended about 1/3 of the way up the tower. There was also a copter hovering about a half mile away, which may or may not have been related.
post #10334 of 10680 Old 05-08-2012, 08:13 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel99 View Post

I was in the Needham area at about 8 PM, and what appeared to be the upper section of the top-mounted antenna was suspended about 1/3 of the way up the tower. There was also a copter hovering about a half mile away, which may or may not have been related.

The tower riggers removed the damaged top antenna (see the attached photos) yesterday, an all-day affair. The antenna is being sent back to the manufacturer in Maine for repairs, which are estimated to take up to two months. As long as the gin pole (the yellow crane-like object at the top of the tower) is mounted at the top we cannot operate at full power, so the stations involved are currently at low power on an auxiliary antenna lower down. Because of rain the tower riggers are not able to work to get the gin pole lowered. We expect to get back to normal by Friday, weather permitting.

BTW, the antenna being lowered in the pictures is 50 feet long, four feet in diameter, and weighs over 12,000 pounds.
LL
LL

Robert Yankowitz
Chief Engineer
CBS Boston
[WBZ-TV | WSBK-TV]
post #10335 of 10680 Old 05-08-2012, 10:00 AM

[quote=RYankowitz;21998069]The tower riggers removed the damaged top antenna (see the attached photos) yesterday, an all-day affair. As long as the gin pole (the yellow crane-like object at the top of the tower) is mounted at the top we cannot operate at full power, so the stations involved are currently at low power on an auxiliary antenna lower down.]

I assumed as much as I am still receiving all the channels on the tower, but noticed the signal levels a bit lower in strength. Thanks for the updates!

Bill Bibeau, CBT
post #10336 of 10680 Old 05-08-2012, 10:42 AM

Hello All:
Appreciate the fact that most recent outages are result (we hope) of a technical failure. Cannot help but be concerned - that because of the variety of providers - whether it be Cable/Satellite/etc. - the voice for Free TV - Over The Air has been reduced. One does not have to be a historian to remember a time - when there would have been an uproar (regardless of the cause) - if 5/6/ or 7 stations would go off the air in one fell swoop. Fueling that uproar would be lack of a focused effort to keep viewers updated as to progress of efforts to restore service.
In Southern Rhode Island -as of yesterday evening -no signal for (2.1)(2.2)(4.1)(5.1)(38.1)(44.1.2.3.4). Is the intent still to fully restore service - with stations occupying their original positions / signal strength as before failure?
Don't mistake this note - as lacking in appreciation for all those doing difficult and dangerous work to restore service.
Barry
post #10337 of 10680 Old 05-08-2012, 11:22 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardot861 View Post

Hello All:
Appreciate the fact that most recent outages are result (we hope) of a technical failure. Cannot help but be concerned - that because of the variety of providers - whether it be Cable/Satellite/etc. - the voice for Free TV - Over The Air has been reduced. One does not have to be a historian to remember a time - when there would have been an uproar (regardless of the cause) - if 5/6/ or 7 stations would go off the air in one fell swoop. Fueling that uproar would be lack of a focused effort to keep viewers updated as to progress of efforts to restore service.
In Southern Rhode Island -as of yesterday evening -no signal for (2.1)(2.2)(4.1)(5.1)(38.1)(44.1.2.3.4). Is the intent still to fully restore service - with stations occupying their original positions / signal strength as before failure?
Don't mistake this note - as lacking in appreciation for all those doing difficult and dangerous work to restore service.
Barry

Based on the discussion over the last few pages, it seems obvious to me that they're doing everything in their power (get it? ) to get service restored to normal ASAP. I don't see how anyone can reasonably question that.
post #10338 of 10680 Old 05-08-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardot861 View Post

Hello All:
Barry

After all repairs are completed all stations will be back exactly as before.

Robert Yankowitz
Chief Engineer
CBS Boston
[WBZ-TV | WSBK-TV]
post #10339 of 10680 Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYankowitz View Post

The tower riggers removed the damaged top antenna (see the attached photos) yesterday, an all-day affair. The antenna is being sent back to the manufacturer in Maine for repairs, which are estimated to take up to two months. As long as the gin pole (the yellow crane-like object at the top of the tower) is mounted at the top we cannot operate at full power, so the stations involved are currently at low power on an auxiliary antenna lower down. Because of rain the tower riggers are not able to work to get the gin pole lowered. We expect to get back to normal by Friday, weather permitting.

BTW, the antenna being lowered in the pictures is 50 feet long, four feet in diameter, and weighs over 12,000 pounds.

We are now back to normal operation.

Robert Yankowitz
Chief Engineer
CBS Boston
[WBZ-TV | WSBK-TV]
post #10340 of 10680 Old 05-10-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I had wondered what was going on with some usually rock solid channels from Boston not showing up down here in Portsmouth(RI), something made me think to check out the Boston OTA thread. Thanks for posting updates!
post #10341 of 10680 Old 05-11-2012, 10:47 AM

Just wanted to thank all the engineers who are posting updates. This forum is supplying a lot more information than the WGBH website. I'm in Fall River and can still get all the channels with my amplified antenna. The signal strength is much lower than before, but strong enough for reception. Please keep up the updates, it is very much appreciated. Thanks again.
post #10342 of 10680 Old 05-15-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Latest update on WGBH says the damaged part has been removed from the tower, but "given the scope of the repairs, the work may not be fully completed until the end of June."

Yikes.

Not surprising that I cannot get the temporary lower power signal ~50 miles out with a non-amplified indoor antenna, lol.
post #10343 of 10680 Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

Not surprising that I cannot get the temporary lower power signal ~50 miles out with a non-amplified indoor antenna, lol.

Luckily, I can still get all the Boston channels broadcast from this tower in Pawtucket.

SMK
post #10344 of 10680 Old 05-21-2012, 06:15 AM

Why must PBS 44.1 HD zoom their broadcasts of classic films that are 1.33/7 OAR as 1.78 with major cropping of heads. Last weekend I tried to watch Key Largo, a 1.37 OAR film, PBS had zoomed this film to fill the screen resulting in cropped heads and missing bodies.

There have been other films that received this treatment. They refuse to letterbox OAR material eventhrough this was their SOP before the HD 16:9 conversion.

Is it the Comcast influence?

I have complained and contacted them about their zooming methods in the past, see my earlier posts, but this must be their intent. The broadcasts are frustrating to watch zoomed if you have seen the unbutchered films in the past.

People want their 16:9 screens filled all the time, so they must keep the people happy.
post #10345 of 10680 Old 06-25-2012, 03:31 PM

Any news on the Antenna? Latest post on the WGBH site is May.

I signed up for updates but have not heard anything, not even an acknowledgement that I signed up.

/tom
post #10346 of 10680 Old 06-25-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschmidt View Post

Any news on the Antenna? Latest post on the WGBH site is May.
I signed up for updates but have not heard anything, not even an acknowledgement that I signed up.
/tom

The antenna is still at the manufacturer's being rebuilt.  I'm afraid I do not have an ETA on its return yet.

Tschmidt likes this.

Robert Yankowitz
Chief Engineer
CBS Boston
[WBZ-TV | WSBK-TV]
post #10347 of 10680 Old 06-25-2012, 07:19 PM

Thanks for keeping us posted Rob, we appreciate it!
post #10348 of 10680 Old 06-30-2012, 04:56 PM

Anyone NORTH OF BOSTON getting ANY reception right now? I read the most recent above about the main antenna still being fixed. However, I've heard there is weaker signals going out from lower on the tower, that signal is somewhat increased at night, and that NBC and FOX are on a different tower altogether. Yet, I've gotten NOTHING to very little over the past several weeks. I'm in Beverly and got signal great up until the initial failure in April. We even would get all the channels sporadically on Sat/Sundays until about a month ago. Now it's mostly nothing, maybe getting in 1 channel once a week very scrambled briefly. Any comparison of signal from northerners would help determine if it's just bad right now or I have an equipment issue. Thanks!
post #10349 of 10680 Old 06-30-2012, 06:03 PM

Except for WGBX we are getting all the Boston channels and both 9 and 11 from NH.
post #10350 of 10680 Old 06-30-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giacom3 View Post

Anyone NORTH OF BOSTON getting ANY reception right now? I read the most recent above about the main antenna still being fixed. However, I've heard there is weaker signals going out from lower on the tower, that signal is somewhat increased at night, and that NBC and FOX are on a different tower altogether. Yet, I've gotten NOTHING to very little over the past several weeks. I'm in Beverly and got signal great up until the initial failure in April. We even would get all the channels sporadically on Sat/Sundays until about a month ago. Now it's mostly nothing, maybe getting in 1 channel once a week very scrambled briefly. Any comparison of signal from northerners would help determine if it's just bad right now or I have an equipment issue. Thanks!

The signals transmitted from the temporary reconfiguration on the tower are essentially the same as those transmitted from the damaged antenna.  There is also no difference between what we transmit during the day and at night.  And you are correct that NBC and FOX transmit from different towers (each on their own).

As I mentioned before, the damaged antenna is still undergoing repairs, and I still do not have an ETA on its re-installation.  But I would not hang my hat on seeing a significant difference once it is restored.  (Of course, if you do see an improvement, I'll be happy to claim the credit!)

Tschmidt likes this.

Robert Yankowitz
Chief Engineer
CBS Boston
[WBZ-TV | WSBK-TV]
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page