5Likes

post #10621 of 10701 Old 04-12-2014, 03:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post

Bacffin, you have a pretty favorable TVFool plot. I live in southern New Hampshire on a hill surrounded by red pines, oaks, and maples. I can affirm your suspicion that wind and rain can impact reception.

Looking at the green band of stations from your report and ignoring nonchannels and spanish language channels, you should be able to get good reception with an indoor antenna pointed to 145 degrees. I think you should be able to pull in WENH and WMUR with a vhf antenna pointed to 5 degrees as well. I'd probably look at joining a y10-7-13 to a 91xg. Since you already own the HD9095P, I would consider testing/coupling this with a y10-7-13.

For test and pointing purposes, I like to use a HD Homerun HDHR3-US because it reports signal strength, signal quality, and symbol quality on two channels concurrently. These cost $50-$60 and have other uses...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=simple+tv&_sop=1&_osacat=11725&_from=R40&_dmd=1&_udhi=55&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xhdhr&_nkw=hdhr3-us&_sacat=0

If you want to take the black box approach, you can point the antenna with a compass and move it around until things look good.

Get two long pieces of factory terminated RG6 coax and run it directly from the antenna to a television. If that works, you do not need amplifiers except to account for distribution losses and your antenna is good. Move the coax from the input of your TV to the input of your splitter. Terminate all outputs except for one and use the second coax to connect directly from the splitter to a tv. If this is fine, replace your factory coax with the premise coax. If the signal is worse, replace the premise coax. Use this iterative approach to test each leg of your infrastructure repairing any deficiencies.

Well, I have been watching these meters the past couple of days in both windy and calm conditions and can't help but think I am not that far away from getting a good signal. See attached. With all these signals coming from the same general area, why is it I can get rock solid signals from channels 2, 44 and 5 and channels 4, 25, 56 etc. are always bouncing around?

So I am not going to give up yet and try a couple of things. First I am going to raise the antenna another 10 feet and see if that helps. If that does not produce any better results, I will put a 10-15 degree bend at the top of the mast and see if that works. My son is helping me out and has this JDSU DSAM meter to get the antenna spot on and check the integrity of all the wiring and connections. I do have another 150 feet or so I can move back, but that needs a tower or telephone pole. I'm not crazy of the idea of mounting it on a tree. Channel5Signal.PNG 106k .PNG file Channel4Signal.PNG 128k .PNG file
Attached Images
File Type: png Channel4Signal.PNG (128.4 KB, 18 views)

I always seem to know just enough to get into trouble !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10622 of 10701 Old 04-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Temporarily remove your unity gain splitter to make sure that's not causing any unwanted noise.
Bacffin likes this.
post #10623 of 10701 Old 04-12-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post

Temporarily remove your unity gain splitter to make sure that's not causing any unwanted noise.

O-ya! That is first !!! to easy....thanks for the reminder!

post #10624 of 10701 Old 04-14-2014, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
100 trips to attic/basement/bedroom on saturday, trying to optimize OTA reception. The result was:
- No significant improvement to OTA reception. All the 'marginal' channels such Fox 25 remain unviewable day or night.
- Still only one OTA antenna "outlet", a short coax direct from antenna to bedroom TV, no preamp or amp.
- Unable to increase # of OTA outlets by using basement patch-panel. Can't use the attic->basement->patchpanel->rooms cable runs for OTA whatsoever. They work fine for redistributing the cable/comcast signal however.
- Antenna remains pointed 10 degrees above horizontal.

My conclusion was:
- Recent/summertime signal problems are as usual for every summer and are due to trees and multipath.
In previous years I would rely on the QAM version of HD-fox-25 during summer, but that is no longer available of course.
- Another few hours of antenna-pointing might result in some improvement. Not sure if I will attempt it. It's so not fun.

I succeeded in getting channelmaster titan AMP demonstrably working but it did not help my reception significantly, whether I ran the antenna direct from amp to TV, or >150 feet down to patchpanel and back to TV through long coax. It did provide a more solid picture on the only two channels receivable when I use patchpanel-runs. Maybe I need the other titan amp , the one with even more power. Or less power. :|

I succeeded in relocating my cable-modem (and home office) to another room, which actually decreases my home office capability (no OTA/antenna in home office now).

I'm not yet considering renting HD-DTAs from comcast, along with paying them an 'hd technology fee' to watch their retransmitted OTA channels in HD.
post #10625 of 10701 Old 04-14-2014, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
- No significant improvement to OTA reception. All the 'marginal' channels such Fox 25 remain unviewable day or night.
- Still only one OTA antenna "outlet", a short coax direct from antenna to bedroom TV, no preamp or amp.
Were are you in southern NH? I'm in Epping NH, and I'm having no problems with Boston stations that are 50+ miles away and I'm using the el-cheapo Lava HD2805 plus a second good PCT amp. But all my signals are very strong shooting through a mix of broad leaf (bare right now) and pine trees, but even when the leaves were full I had no problems with signal. I would see a drop during rain, but not significant enough to lose any stations.
post #10626 of 10701 Old 04-16-2014, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

I'm in a river valley in merrimack. I expect the missing channels will return in the fall&winter, just like every other year.
Previously I'd used clearQAM/limited-basic-service on comcast as a fallback for Fox-25 viewing during the inevitable summer OTA-channel-loss.
Obviously I can't do that any more, but it will lead to appreciation/use for the SD cable box included with "internet+HBO" service from comcast. :|
post #10627 of 10701 Old 04-18-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post

Well, after a few days of monitoring with the splitter removed and going directly into the tuner makes it worse. I loose 3-4% signal without the unity gain splitter. Don't know why it would decrease. The quality and symbol meters did not change, just the signal. Next try will be going up 10 more feet. Boy I really hope this works.

Thanks,
Bruce

post #10628 of 10701 Old 04-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacffin View Post

Well, after a few days of monitoring with the splitter removed and going directly into the tuner makes it worse. I loose 3-4% signal without the unity gain splitter. Don't know why it would decrease. The quality and symbol meters did not change, just the signal. Next try will be going up 10 more feet. Boy I really hope this works.

Part of your problem may be due to the 495 freeway that is 1.5 miles away from you and lies in your line-of-sight to the Boston antenna farm. Traffic on the freeway causes dynamic multipath reflections that momentarily corrupts your signals causing the signal problems you see. One way to verify this is to check your reception when traffic is heaviest and compare it to the reception when traffic is lightest (ie in the middle of the night.)
post #10629 of 10701 Old 04-18-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYankowitz View Post

We are likely to start one in 2014, but I haven't got any details to give you right now.

Any update on this?
post #10630 of 10701 Old 04-18-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post

Part of your problem may be due to the 495 freeway that is 1.5 miles away from you and lies in your line-of-sight to the Boston antenna farm. Traffic on the freeway causes dynamic multipath reflections that momentarily corrupts your signals causing the signal problems you see. One way to verify this is to check your reception when traffic is heaviest and compare it to the reception when traffic is lightest (ie in the middle of the night.)

This is interesting! I'm in a valley pointed at dense pine trees and the antenna height appears to be at ground level with RT. 495 or even below some, line-of-sight indeed! Great observation sir. When the trees don't move, the signal still bounces. I will begin testing this one right away! And, I already have a clue. Most of my night time recordings starting at 10pm are pretty good!

Anyone know of a good topographical website so I can get the delta between the highway and my location?

Thank You,
Bruce

post #10631 of 10701 Old 04-18-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonmediaguy View Post

Any update on this?
My vote: http://antennatv.tv/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10632 of 10701 Old 04-18-2014, 07:51 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonmediaguy View Post

Any update on this?

Afraid not.  Nothing to report yet.

Robert Yankowitz
Chief Engineer
CBS Boston
[WBZ-TV | WSBK-TV]
post #10633 of 10701 Old 04-23-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post

I'm in a river valley in merrimack. I expect the missing channels will return in the fall&winter, just like every other year.
Previously I'd used clearQAM/limited-basic-service on comcast as a fallback for Fox-25 viewing during the inevitable summer OTA-channel-loss.
Obviously I can't do that any more, but it will lead to appreciation/use for the SD cable box included with "internet+HBO" service from comcast. :|

I was watching Nightly News last night and they mentioned this company. If it turns out to be legal, it may be a solution people like me in a valley. https://aereo.com/
Hate to pay 96 bucks a year for something that is free.

post #10634 of 10701 Old 04-24-2014, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Aereo is pretty cool and I would be very surprised if the Supreme Court found them illegal. However, if the Supremes do allow Aereo to exist, then I think it may doom OTA completely. First, all CableCos will install antenna arrays so they can stop paying rebroadcast fees to the OTA networks. Next, the networks will stop OTA broadcasting to regain their fees from Cable. OTA will die (except for PBS), IMHO.
post #10635 of 10701 Old 04-27-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSmith View Post

Aereo is pretty cool and I would be very surprised if the Supreme Court found them illegal. However, if the Supremes do allow Aereo to exist, then I think it may doom OTA completely. First, all CableCos will install antenna arrays so they can stop paying rebroadcast fees to the OTA networks. Next, the networks will stop OTA broadcasting to regain their fees from Cable. OTA will die (except for PBS), IMHO.
FCC rules specifically require cable companies to pay the retransmission fees. ABC did not argue that Aereo was a cable company. They argued that they were doing a public performance. That is where the antenna/dvr argument comes in. They say they are leasing hardware and that the performance is private. Read the transcript. It is a lot different than some of the public debates.

I think the SCOTUS will rule that this is not a public performance and allow Aereo to continue. It will be up to the FCC to change their rules to make Aereo illegal. Whatever they do will likely target Aereo's technology and that will end up back at the SC.

As for others copying the Aereo solution if they are successful, I suspect Aereo has all sorts of patents. It will be great irony to see Aereo suing others for stealing their IP.

Should be fun...

http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/2014/04/22/abc-inc-v-aereo-inc-13-461/
http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/13-461_o7jp.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10636 of 10701 Old 04-28-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:

FCC rules specifically require cable companies to pay the retransmission fees. ABC did not argue that Aereo was a cable company. They argued that they were doing a public performance.
Right, but the cable companies are not doing a public performance either. They are taking ABC content and sending it on to me, just like Aereo. Rules can be changed; none of this will happen overnight. Just an interesting disruption and I predict OTA will (eventually) die as a result. What if Comcast buys Aereo? Patents, schmatents. Or what if CableCo decides it's cheaper to pay an Aereo patent royalty than pay ABC, NBC, CBS retrans fees? Disruption is fun and scary.

Fox sees the writing on the wall and are getting out ahead of the issue
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-08/news-corp-says-it-will-take-fox-off-air-if-courts-ok-aereo-1-.html
post #10637 of 10701 Old 04-28-2014, 06:57 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

Right, but the cable companies are not doing a public performance either. They are taking ABC content and sending it on to me, just like Aereo. Rules can be changed; none of this will happen overnight. Just an interesting disruption and I predict OTA will (eventually) die as a result. What if Comcast buys Aereo? Patents, schmatents. Or what if CableCo decides it's cheaper to pay an Aereo patent royalty than pay ABC, NBC, CBS retrans fees? Disruption is fun and scary.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-08/news-corp-says-it-will-take-fox-off-air-if-courts-ok-aereo-1-.html
I honestly don't see the issue the stations have with Aereo. A few items from their FAQ:
Quote:
Is Aereo available to me?

Aereo is available to residents of select areas only. Please see our coverage area for details. To sign up, your credit card must have a billing address within our coverage area.

Where can I use Aereo?

You can use Aereo anywhere within your home coverage area, so long as you have an Internet connection. Aereo is not limited to your home wi-fi or any particular broadband or wireless provider. Please see our coverage area for information about where you can use Aereo.
So in order to sign up to use Aereo, you have to live within one of their coverage areas, such as Southern NH and Eastern MA to use their Boston feed. In order to use Aereo at any given time, you have to currently be located within the coverage area (I'm assuming they use the IP address you're connecting with to determine this). To me, this implies that if I took a trip to California, I wouldn't be able to watch my Boston Aereo channels from my hotel room (unless I did some tricks to use a VPN or something to connect through my house network).

So from the TV station's perspective what's the difference between a person watching their station using Aereo versus an antenna connected to a DVR? The only obvious difference is that Aereo is getting $8 a month, but many of those Aereo users are presumably using Aereo because they either have no reasonable way to mount an antenna or live in a location that has poor coverage - so the stations, if anything, are gaining watchers which they ought to see as a good thing. And if I were to pay someone to install an antenna for me, it would take quite a few months to break even compared to paying Aereo $8 a month - it's not like TV antennas are free. Most people who do have the option of using an antenna should do so anyway as they should end up with better picture quality compared to streaming Aereo over the internet.
post #10638 of 10701 Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:

This is just posturing. Go back a year and you will see that Fox said the same thing about a court decision on Aereo's Boston deployment. Not only did they NOT pull the plug on their affiliate, they added a subchannel (Fox Movies!) shortly thereafter. In fact, Movies! was deployed in all of the markets Aereo entered. It turns out they make money off commercials. Besides, I am sure the NFL would have something to say if their NFC games were not on the air in Boston and I am sure the people who pay for commercials during those games would not pay as much if the Boston market suddenly dropped 10%.

post #10639 of 10701 Old 04-30-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:

This is just posturing.

I do hope you are correct wizwor. I am an OTA user and fan. But I think the networks see advertising AND retrans fees as income streams. When a CableCo customer switches to Aereo it is lost revenue to the network. OTA watchers cannot be counted and that's the OLD way to sell ads. Advertisers want to know with much more precision, who they are reaching and when.
post #10640 of 10701 Old 04-30-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:

I do hope you are correct wizwor. I am an OTA user and fan. But I think the networks see advertising AND retrans fees as income streams. When a CableCo customer switches to Aereo it is lost revenue to the network. OTA watchers cannot be counted and that's the OLD way to sell ads. Advertisers want to know with much more precision, who they are reaching and when.
They want all the money. No surprise. People were flocking to cable before prices rose so dramatically. That created a niche for Netflix and reinvigorated broadcast television. That will not change if Aereo goes away. The fact is that there are a lot of leaks in that dike and it is going to break. Comcast is trying to get control of the content before losing control of distribution. Everything else is just them trying to slow things down.

post #10641 of 10701 Old 05-09-2014, 10:53 AM

Beginning to explore ditching Comcast...looked at my tvfool plot, http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c6e6df99181d , and it did not look too promising to me...but I dont know much about it. Put together one of those DIY coat hanger antennas (http://makezine.com/projects/digital-tv-coat-hanger-antenna/), stuck it in a window and connected to a TV - nothing. Realized that I was not able to point the antenna in the right direction (about 110 degrees) from where I was in the house, so I leaned the antenna against my garage and hooked up a TV - still nothing. Then I realized I forgot to insulate a part of the antenna where the wires cross, and was amazed that I got all the Boston channels - all the ones from the Newton towers, and even WLVI which I think is in Cambridge - all this with a ground-level DIY antenna! I am now seriously contemplating buying a real antenna and ditching Comcast.

Since the antenna will be facing the street, I am trying to get something that is not too obnoxious...was hoping I might be able to get away with a Clearstream 2 antenna? An alternative I was considering is to mount a bigger antenna (clearstream 4?) in the attic. Pointing 110 degrees from the attic would have the signal coming through plywood and vinyl siding - no shingles or other obstructions. This would greatly enhance the wife approval factor...which, for this project, is already pretty low - not happy about losing on demand programming (I just got a Roku last night, but she has not taken to it yet). Personally, I just watch the news - all the rest of my content consumption is done through XBMC.

Appreciate any thoughts or insight anyone might be willing to share!

post #10642 of 10701 Old 05-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

You should have no problem using the CS2 antenna, they are nice antennas. I'm thinking about upgrading to that one and I'm twice as far away from the towers as your are. I too use a Roku and XMBC, subscribe to one of the premium services like Amazon, Netflix or Hulu and you should be good to go with on-demand shows. Also since you run XBMC you could also install MythTV for DVR services combined with a SiliconDust Box .

I had cable too and wasn't sure about dropping it to go to OTA, but after running with OTA now since last September, I'm more than happy I made the cable cut with Comcast...the $1200+ a year staying in my wallet too has been sweat as well!!!
post #10643 of 10701 Old 05-09-2014, 11:30 AM

Thanks bac522! I actually have an amazon prime subscription that I use mostly for free shipping...will need to dig into what is there a little more. If I do cut cable, I will probably get a Hulu subscription - wife likes to watch general hospital. We 'upgraded' to the X1 system from comcast about a month ago...and we have not even bothered to reprogram the DVR.

Looks like I'll be getting the CS2 antenna. Where it will be mounted outside could not possibly be closer to where the cable comes in from the street, so it will be a short run of cable. I am SO looking forward to saying goodbye to comcast for TV! Plan is to go for a week or 2 using OTA signal before actually canceling.

Greatly appreciate your reply, it makes me more confident it will succeed!

post #10644 of 10701 Old 05-22-2014, 10:27 AM

Has the EIT data for the PBS stations changed? For the last couple of weeks, I' m only seeing "DTV Program" or "HDTV program" in the titles. Any idea is this a temporary change?
post #10645 of 10701 Old 05-22-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyp2 View Post

Has the EIT data for the PBS stations changed? For the last couple of weeks, I' m only seeing "DTV Program" or "HDTV program" in the titles. Any idea is this a temporary change?
Had the same problem with WMUR. Emailed them to no avail. Reported the problem to the FCC and WMUR has been fine since...

http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/2014/05/22/fcc-form-2000e/

post #10646 of 10701 Old 05-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Recently I've been seeing the same issue for PBS, via my channelmaster 7000 DVR. Guide lists "DTV program" for every half hour.
post #10647 of 10701 Old 05-22-2014, 11:23 AM

Thanks. I guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and email them before I go the FCC route.
post #10648 of 10701 Old 05-23-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyp2 View Post

Thanks. I guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and email them before I go the FCC route.
Very sad that it comes to this. I recently had a problem with my TelCo and 2 different departments said there was nothing they could do. Reported to the FCC and Bingo! - courteous call back from TelCo with a promise to investigate. Why can't regular customer service do its job?
post #10649 of 10701 Old 05-24-2014, 05:26 AM

II emailed WENH about the problem and got a prompt, positive response. The problem has been fixed...
Quote:
I was just informed by our content provider that they were experiencing issues with the PSIP information being delivered on the World and Create transport streams and that the issue has been resolved.

I have been checking the PSIP data today and it is being broadcast.

Please check your TV and let me know what information, if anything, you feel is still missing from the PSIP data.
tveli likes this.

post #10650 of 10701 Old 06-19-2014, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
WUTF Ch. 66 Marlboro/Boston

Is anyone having problems with WUTF's two subchannels 66.2 (Bounce) and 66.3 (getTV). I'm getting full signal strength but my HDTV keeps saying that the "Mode is not Supported". This just started a few days ago.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page