Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post
^^^ cool.

HARCOURT FENTON MUDD!!!!!!!!!
You can hear that on MeTV...All for new channels with OTA, but sounds a little like the genre MeTV is already catering too. Than again a lot of shows have been made over the years, so there's enough to pick from...would love to see old reruns of Miami Vice back on the screen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10712 of 10722 Old 10-22-2014, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
All for new channels with OTA, but sounds a little like the genre MeTV is already catering too. Than again a lot of shows have been made over the years, so there's enough to pick from...would love to see old reruns of Miami Vice back on the screen!
I'm looking forward to this. Wish we got AntennaTV. You can never have too many classic programs on the dial.
DocSmith likes this.
post #10713 of 10722 Old 10-23-2014, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
MeTV, AntennaTV, Decades, Escape, Grit, Ion etc. All newish offerings - yippee! But sometimes it feels like limited old material is just being spread out across more channels. Every new channel means that some previous channel's offerings are diluted and back-filled with infomercials. Am I being too cynical? More OTA is always good, can't argue with that. But is adding subchannels just re-arranging the deck chairs?
tveli likes this.
post #10714 of 10722 Old 10-23-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSmith View Post
MeTV, AntennaTV, Decades, Escape, Grit, Ion etc. All newish offerings - yippee! But sometimes it feels like limited old material is just being spread out across more channels. Every new channel means that some previous channel's offerings are diluted and back-filled with infomercials. Am I being too cynical? More OTA is always good, can't argue with that. But is adding subchannels just re-arranging the deck chairs?
Yes. Definitely.

For starters, there is a LOT of programming out there. We are just starting to scratch the surface. The big difference between broadcast or cable and OTT is continuous programming. When we had cable, the Food Network and History Channel were our background noise. With broadcast, we tend to leave the set tuned to ION or MeTV. Decades looks like a good all day channel. Of course, not everyone cannot pick up every channel every day. It's nice to be able to find a good strong channel with programming you love. Finally, great subchannels en masse are one area where the premium providers struggle to keep up. More unique subchannels mean more OTA enthusiasts which will lead to more OTA programming. So it's good for 'our business' too!
post #10715 of 10722 Old 10-23-2014, 09:58 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 229
IIRC, don't subchannels take bandwidth away from the main channel with a result of lower picture quality? I see absolutely no need to have a TV on all day as background noise. If I have the TV on, I'm actually sitting there and watching it. If I'm not watching TV, I'm either working, listening to music (which makes much better background noise, IMHO), reading a book, gone to the gym, sleeping, etc. That said, I have no problem with more content being available, but only if it doesn't affect the quality of the existing content.
post #10716 of 10722 Old 10-23-2014, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone here picked up the new WYCN-LD virtual 13 RF channel 36? It is located on the same tower as WBIN in Hudson, NH but with twice the power.
post #10717 of 10722 Old 10-24-2014, 06:07 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1ZZN View Post
Has anyone here picked up the new WYCN-LD virtual 13 RF channel 36? It is located on the same tower as WBIN in Hudson, NH but with twice the power.
Can't get it in Manchester.

JIMMY
post #10718 of 10722 Old 10-26-2014, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
IIRC, don't subchannels take bandwidth away from the main channel with a result of lower picture quality? ... I have no problem with more content being available, but only if it doesn't affect the quality of the existing content.
You're correct some bandwidth is taken away if a broadcaster wants to transmit in 1080i or 720p at 19mbits. If there's been a loss in resolution by Fox25 offering Movies! in 480i, which would cut HD bandwidth from 19 to 15Mbits I don't notice it. WCVB local news appears every bit as sharp as WBZ despite 5.1 sharing its bandwidth with MeTV on 5.2. A lot of this has to do with the implementation of the MPEG compression.

Like you I don't use a TV for background entertainment. I use a radio or just plain quiet. But having programming like MeTV and Movies! is a great benefit for this Cable.never boomer
post #10719 of 10722 Old 11-07-2014, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1ZZN View Post
Has anyone here picked up the new WYCN-LD
Here in Milford NH we are on the wrong side of some hills and unable to get either WYCN RF 36 or WBIN RF 35

/tom
post #10720 of 10722 Old Today, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
WHERE HAVE YOU GUYS BEEN?

NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT THIS YET?????

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/8...-tv-subchannel

dtv_junkie87
post #10721 of 10722 Old Today, 08:35 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtv_junkie87 View Post
WHERE HAVE YOU GUYS BEEN?

NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT THIS YET?????

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/8...-tv-subchannel

dtv_junkie87
Due to the incredibly poor signal of WBIN, it can only be received OTA by a small percentage of viewers in the Boston market - so it probably gets less attention in the Boston OTA thread. WBIN's LiveWell subchannel (50.2) is carried by many cable systems in the market, which likely will just continue with AntennaTV.

WBIN (formerly WZMY) went from a 4700 KW analog signal on ch 50 to a 7.3 KW digital signal on ch 35. (The reference to 18 is the cable channel it is commonly carried on.)
post #10722 of 10722 Old Today, 08:36 AM

Everyone should visit Binnie's facebook page and encourage him to put some power behind his signal...

https://www.facebook.com/2010Binnie/timeline
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page