post #10741 of 10753 Old 03-19-2015, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgh View Post
I've done a bit of research on OTA signals up here in NH, but I'd like to hear if anything has had success pulling CBS and NBC out of Boston? Our house is located in Merrimack near Exit 8/10 on Route 3. We're in the woods a bit, but quite close to 101A. I'm considering using a 91XG on my roof, paired with a hdHomerun Extend > Media Center. I'm pretty sure getting ABC out of Manchester will be fine with a dedicated antenna (VHF), but I'm concerned about buying a bunch of UHF equipment for CBS/NBC and having it not work.

Can anyone in NH comment on the strength of the Boston signals to Merrimack?

Thanks!

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f03de8614ada
I'm in Epping NH and easily pull from Boston all the stations and they 50+ from me, so you should have no problem based on your tvfool report as your 20 miles closer. Here's mine for comparison

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f05c8abb5905

I use The ClearStream 4 Ultra Long Range UHF Antenna and I do preamp. I'm picking up the following with excellent signal strength:

Station City
WGBH-HD 2.1 Boston
WBZ-TV 4.1 Boston
WCVB 5.1 Boston
WCSH-HD 6.1 Portland
WHDH-HD 7.1 Boston
PrimeHD 11.1 Durham
WPXG-DT 21.1 Concord
WFXT DT 25.1 Boston
WSBK-TV 38.1 Boston
WGBX-TV 44.1 Boston
WLVI-TV 56.1 Cambridge
WMFP 62.1 Lawrence
WUTF-DT 66.1 Marlborough
WBPX 68.1 Boston

I actually can't get WMUR in Manchester, because the mountain at Pawtuckaway State Park blocks me.

Last edited by bac522; 03-19-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10742 of 10753 Old 03-19-2015, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
I'm in Epping NH and easily pull from Boston all the stations and they 50+ from me, so you should have no problem based on your tvfool report as your 20 miles closer.
That is very helpful, thank you! Do you find your reception changes between seasons with the foliage? I've got mostly tall pines around me, but there are some oak and maple trees that fill in come Spring.
post #10743 of 10753 Old 03-19-2015, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is very helpful, thank you! Do you find your reception changes between seasons with the foliage? I've got mostly tall pines around me, but there are some oak and maple trees that fill in come Spring.
Same setup as me, lots of pines with some broad leaf trees for me as well. I don't see significant drop in signal through out the year...at least I didn't on my old antenna. I was using an el-cheapo Lava antenna for the last 2 years, but this years brutal winter destroyed it, so I've just recently installed (like last week) the Clearstream.

The Clearstream, with pre-amped gets much better signal strength than the el-cheapo Lava did, so I don't expect any problems with signals once the leaves come in...although with the way this winter is going probably won't see spring until at least August !

The main goal in going OTA is as high as possible and I strongly suggest outside installation...attics, while appealing for ease of install can be a multi-path signal nightmare for antennas. I initially tried my attic with limited success, went to the peak of my roof and it was like night and day in terms of signal strength!
post #10744 of 10753 Old 03-19-2015, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I'm in Epping NH and easily pull from Boston all the stations and they 50+ from me, so you should have no problem based on your tvfool report as your 20 miles closer. Here's mine for comparison

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f05c8abb5905

I use The ClearStream 4 Ultra Long Range UHF Antenna and I do preamp. I'm picking up the following with excellent signal strength:

Station City
WGBH-HD 2.1 Boston
WBZ-TV 4.1 Boston
WCVB 5.1 Boston
WCSH-HD 6.1 Portland
WHDH-HD 7.1 Boston
PrimeHD 11.1 Durham
WPXG-DT 21.1 Concord
WFXT DT 25.1 Boston
WSBK-TV 38.1 Boston
WGBX-TV 44.1 Boston
WLVI-TV 56.1 Cambridge
WMFP 62.1 Lawrence
WUTF-DT 66.1 Marlborough
WBPX 68.1 Boston

I actually can't get WMUR in Manchester, because the mountain at Pawtuckaway State Park blocks me.
I'm in Merrimack and am using the same antenna setup. I use a CM7777 preamp, and have two HDhomeruns connected to a Win7 HTPC. My Clearstream4 is mounted in my attic. No issues getting signals out of Boston, I get all the channels (including subs) on the above list and receive WMUR without issues as well.

I've been running this setup for about 5 years now and am surrounded by a fair number of trees. The only time I've had issues receiving a signal was this past February when the snow on the roof caused enough attenuation to kill reception for a week or so.
pburgh likes this.

BDP-83 EAP (first 50)
post #10745 of 10753 Old 03-19-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
The main goal in going OTA is as high as possible and I strongly suggest outside installation...attics, while appealing for ease of install can be a multi-path signal nightmare for antennas. I initially tried my attic with limited success, went to the peak of my roof and it was like night and day in terms of signal strength!
Thanks. My plan is to use a gable mount on the highest roof on my house. It's about 20' up and facing towards Boston. Thankfully, my surveillance PoE router is right inside the wall there and I can get my hdhomerun connected to my network and to the antenna without much fuss.

I'll be ordering the parts today or tomorrow. Will report back with a success story, hopefully.
post #10746 of 10753 Old 03-19-2015, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Nice, looking forward to hearing the success...I'm a HDhomerun user too..throw in slingtv and I've got a great cable replacement solution..eat "you know what" Comcast !
post #10747 of 10753 Old 03-20-2015, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Can anyone in NH comment on the strength of the Boston signals to Merrimack?
I'm in Milford using an old style CM 4228, WBZ and WHDH come in fine. Looks like our stats are worse then yours so should be fine. We use separate UHF and VHF-Hi antennas. The VHF point NE to pick up WMUR (very strong works with a paper clip on the coax) and WENH.

Trees are higher then the roof but except for the weakest Boston stations works well.

I've posted setup on my web site if you are interested in the gory details:
http://www.tschmidt.com/writings/Outdoor_TV_antenna.pdf

/tom
post #10748 of 10753 Old 03-20-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschmidt View Post
I'm in Milford using an old style CM 4228, WBZ and WHDH come in fine. Looks like our stats are worse then yours so should be fine. We use separate UHF and VHF-Hi antennas. The VHF point NE to pick up WMUR (very strong works with a paper clip on the coax) and WENH.

Trees are higher then the roof but except for the weakest Boston stations works well.

I've posted setup on my web site if you are interested in the gory details:
http://www.tschmidt.com/writings/Outdoor_TV_antenna.pdf

/tom
Great to hear, and thank you for commenting! I've ordered a HDHomeRun Connect, DB8e, and a CM7777 (just in case). Hope to get it all installed next week. Going to try attic mount first, then move outside if it doesn't work well enough.
post #10749 of 10753 Old 03-20-2015, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Going to try attic mount first, then move outside if it doesn't work well enough.
That is certainly worth a try, much easier to work on it in the attic then having to get up on the roof.

Good luck with your project. Be interesting to see how it works out.

/tom
post #10750 of 10753 Unread Today, 01:04 PM

So I got my DB8e mounted in my attic and found that I wasn't getting any signal to my tuner when running through the CM7777. I removed the CM7777 from the chain and 32 channels showed up. I went through the process of testing the voltage on the power inserter, cables, etc... everything looked good at ~22 VDC all the way up to the preamp connection point. So either the amp was dead over overloading (I'm leaning towards overloading). In any event, it was returned.

I've swapped it out for an RCA TVPRAMP1R. Here's what I see when testing the signals in the hdhomerun config (gui) app:

Channel | Signal Strength w/o Preamp | Signal Quality w/o Preamp | Symbol Quality w/o Preamp | Signal Strength w/ Preamp | Signal Quality w/ Preamp | Symbol Quality w/ Preamp

2.1 80%/98%/100% 100%/98%/100%
4.1 73%/98%/100% 100%/98%/100%
5.1 78%/98%/100% 100%/100%/100%
7.1 50%/51%/100% 91%/57%/100%
9.1 61%/45%/0% 46%/41%/0%

So... it is clear that the TVPRAMP1R is helping my UHF channels. 9.1 (WMUR) isn't coming in, so I'll have to set up something separate to get VHF.

Now, on to my problems! I have pixelation/stutter on my UHF channels. They're very nice looking, but every now and then the screen will show a few jaggies and/or the sound will break up. It reminds me of when my signal was too weak on my Ceton cableCARD tuner. I see this even on 5.1 which seems to be my highest-quality channel. What could be causing this?

I'd like to get my 7.1 stats up as well. I'm still hoping to keep the DB8e inside. I could try a CM7778 and see if that changes things, but I was attracted to the TVPRAMP1R because I will have to run a separate VHF antenna, and this preamp combines the signals for me.

Any ideas? Thanks!

EDIT: I'll throw an idea out there... could my network traffic be causing the pixelation? According to the hdhomerun gui, it appears the streams are around 16 mpbs. I have a surveillance system on the same network consisting of six 720p cameras. These devices are all 100 base-T, but they exist on my gigabit network.

Last edited by pburgh; Today at 01:33 PM.
post #10751 of 10753 Unread Today, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 63
decades showed up this week. binging right now!
post #10752 of 10753 Unread Today, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
So I got my DB8e mounted in my attic and found that I wasn't getting any signal to my tuner when running through the CM7777. I removed the CM7777 from the chain and 32 channels showed up. I went through the process of testing the voltage on the power inserter, cables, etc... everything looked good at ~22 VDC all the way up to the preamp connection point. So either the amp was dead over overloading (I'm leaning towards overloading). In any event, it was returned.

I've swapped it out for an RCA TVPRAMP1R. Here's what I see when testing the signals in the hdhomerun config (gui) app:

Channel | Signal Strength w/o Preamp | Signal Quality w/o Preamp | Symbol Quality w/o Preamp | Signal Strength w/ Preamp | Signal Quality w/ Preamp | Symbol Quality w/ Preamp

2.1 80%/98%/100% 100%/98%/100%
4.1 73%/98%/100% 100%/98%/100%
5.1 78%/98%/100% 100%/100%/100%
7.1 50%/51%/100% 91%/57%/100%
9.1 61%/45%/0% 46%/41%/0%

So... it is clear that the TVPRAMP1R is helping my UHF channels. 9.1 (WMUR) isn't coming in, so I'll have to set up something separate to get VHF.
Aim a Y10-7-13 (or Y5-7-13 if you are tight for space) between WMUR and WENH and you will get both well. Your TVPRAMP1R has a separate vhf in, so no need to buy a joiner or use an AB switch. You'll probably pick up channel 8 in Portland as well. WENH is one of the top PBS stations with Prime, Explore, World, and Create channels.

Quote:
Now, on to my problems! I have pixelation/stutter on my UHF channels. They're very nice looking, but every now and then the screen will show a few jaggies and/or the sound will break up. It reminds me of when my signal was too weak on my Ceton cableCARD tuner. I see this even on 5.1 which seems to be my highest-quality channel. What could be causing this?

I'd like to get my 7.1 stats up as well. I'm still hoping to keep the DB8e inside. I could try a CM7778 and see if that changes things, but I was attracted to the TVPRAMP1R because I will have to run a separate VHF antenna, and this preamp combines the signals for me.
What happens to the HDHR levels when you see pixelization? Are they peaking or falling off?

Quote:
EDIT: I'll throw an idea out there... could my network traffic be causing the pixelation? According to the hdhomerun gui, it appears the streams are around 16 mpbs. I have a surveillance system on the same network consisting of six 720p cameras. These devices are all 100 base-T, but they exist on my gigabit network.
I don't think this could be the problem, but run a cable from the antenna to a tv to isolate signal issues from network issues.
post #10753 of 10753 Unread Today, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Aim a Y10-7-13 (or Y5-7-13 if you are tight for space) between WMUR and WENH and you will get both well. Your TVPRAMP1R has a separate vhf in, so no need to buy a joiner or use an AB switch. You'll probably pick up channel 8 in Portland as well. WENH is one of the top PBS stations with Prime, Explore, World, and Create channels.

What happens to the HDHR levels when you see pixelization? Are they peaking or falling off?

I don't think this could be the problem, but run a cable from the antenna to a tv to isolate signal issues from network issues.
Yeah, I'll pick up a Y10-7-13... I have the room. Thanks!

I'll have to check the levels this evening. I don't recall them bouncing around, but I wasn't paying too close attention.

I'll see about a direct rg6 run to the tv... my antenna is quite a distance from the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page