Boston, MA - OTA - Page 360 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #10771 of 10790 Old 04-02-2015, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYota1 View Post
I'm curious......I used to live in southern NH... and kinda wish I still did. But besides that, do you guys enjoy all the new sub-channels available in the Boston/Manchester market?
I get 48 channels. I watch 33 of these regularly. The list is here (scroll down).
Quote:
There are several that I WISH we had here...so I guess I'm feeling jealous. Anyway, you guys have GetTV on WUTF... which I really want here. It's been added across New York State....(except where I am), and into Mass and Maine.
I like GetTV, Movies!, ThisTV, Bounce, Escape, and Grit for movies. I consider us very fortunate to have so many quality movie channels in our market.
Quote:
You also have CoziTV, RetroTV, Movies!, and Decades is starting on WBZ, 4.2
I do not think RetroTV is still in the market. I believe Cozi replaced RTV.
Quote:
I don't know what other service is offered on 66, besides GetTV.
Bounce, GetTV, and Escape.
Quote:
Anyway, are any of you finding that you're watching any of these? It seems because of MeTV (which just about all of us have) that these nostalgia channels have started popping up. Even with movies...as demonstrated with GetTV. All I'm saying, is if you enjoy them, consider yourself lucky, because many of us in smaller markets aren't being treated to many of these channels.
Absolutely.
Quote:
At least we DO have MeTV and Antenna TV here. We also have Grit...but I don't care for that one.
AntennaTV is off the WBIN channel, so I only get that in the winter, for the most part. I'll work on that in the fall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10772 of 10790 Old 04-02-2015, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I get 48 channels. I watch 33 of these regularly. The list is here (scroll down).

I like GetTV, Movies!, ThisTV, Bounce, Escape, and Grit for movies. I consider us very fortunate to have so many quality movie channels in our market.

I do not think RetroTV is still in the market. I believe Cozi replaced RTV.

Bounce, GetTV, and Escape.

Absolutely.

AntennaTV is off the WBIN channel, so I only get that in the winter, for the most part. I'll work on that in the fall.
Wow! That's what I liked about that area, so many channel opportunities. I was a DX'er there back then...when with analog you could pick up whatever tropo and eskip could bring in. Those were the days.

But yeah, I hate that this area is buried in a donut hole with virtually nothing (much) in the perimeter. So, our choices are somewhat limited by default. Each of our stations would need to have about 6 sub-channels each to get anywhere close to the total that you have.

I even feel dis-serviced by only having ONE of each network affiliate!
post #10773 of 10790 Old 04-02-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Wow! That's what I liked about that area, so many channel opportunities. I was a DX'er there back then...when with analog you could pick up whatever tropo and eskip could bring in. Those were the days.

But yeah, I hate that this area is buried in a donut hole with virtually nothing (much) in the perimeter. So, our choices are somewhat limited by default. Each of our stations would need to have about 6 sub-channels each to get anywhere close to the total that you have.

I even feel dis-serviced by only having ONE of each network affiliate!
When we moved into our home in 1990, the cable company wanted $5k to install in the new development ("Ask your neighbors to pitch in"). I put an antenna in my attic. At the time, it was not uncommon for the Patriots to be blacked out. I was able to pick up the games by pointing my antenna at a New York or a Maine station. It was very cool to have an antenna back then.
post #10774 of 10790 Old 04-02-2015, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
"I get 48 channels. I watch 33 of these regularly. The list is here (scroll down)."

I meant to mention earlier that of the 30 or so total stations here, 4 of them are on VHF. And one of those VHF'ers, is ch. 6! Somehow I imagine that might be unusual for most markets. What I thought was strange, was that 2 of our UHF stations... 23 & 51, actually moved TO VHF with the digital switch. So our VHF (RF) allocations are now 6,7, 12 & 13. I use an XG-91 with the Y5 7-13.

Maybe there's hope for an additional sub-channel at some point. We're kinda slow around here at catching up with the rest of the world. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods haven't been here all that long, and Wegman's won't come here...period!

Last edited by NYota1; 04-02-2015 at 04:20 PM.
post #10775 of 10790 Old 04-04-2015, 03:06 PM

Not really. In Maine, most stations are vhf. For me, that is Icons and Heroes and WMTW's subchannel. In New Hampshire, WENH (PBS) and WMUR (ABC) are vhf broadcasters.
post #10776 of 10790 Old 04-11-2015, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Just did a scan on my HDhomerun and noticed a new subchannel on WFXT (Fox) LAFF..

A little googling and....

http://www.newenglandone.com/news/in...ubchannel.html

Quote:
Cox Media Group will carry LAFF (the country’s first-ever, over-the-air broadcast television network devoted to comedy) on its stations in Atlanta, Boston, Seattle, Orlando, Pittsburgh, Charlotte and Dayton when the network debuts on April 15
As of this post, just a promo running as it appears from the quote the debut is the 15th...looking forward to the new channel...seems to be hitting a different genre than some of the other recent new sub-channels.

This is great! I'm up to 44 (free) channels now ! Why anyone continues to pay for cable is beyond me!!!
wizwor and Tschmidt like this.

Last edited by bac522; 04-11-2015 at 03:32 AM.
post #10777 of 10790 Old 04-13-2015, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Why anyone continues to pay for cable is beyond me!!!
Sports is a primary reason for many.

That said it's not that hard to find free sports streams online, caveat emptor.
post #10778 of 10790 Old 04-13-2015, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_evans033050 View Post
Sports is a primary reason for many.

That said it's not that hard to find free sports streams online, caveat emptor.
True...I'm an Indycar fan and I can usually fine the races on Youtube a day or so later. Also check out Sling TV...can't beat it for $20...makes a nice complement to OTA!

Not the quality of OTA HD, but can't complain and works great on my Roku and Android Nexus 5 & 7.
wizwor likes this.
post #10779 of 10790 Old 04-24-2015, 01:18 PM

Anyone Star Trek fans notice how much MeTV butchers Star Trek to make room for commercials and promos? Okay, I know they have to pay the bills but man the discontinuities really subtract from the watching experience.
post #10780 of 10790 Old 04-25-2015, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_evans033050 View Post
Anyone Star Trek fans notice how much MeTV butchers Star Trek to make room for commercials and promos? Okay, I know they have to pay the bills but man the discontinuities really subtract from the watching experience.
It does make me wonder about the new Decades channel which is coming on OTA within the next month. Decades is supposed to air Star Trek too. So it may be interesting to see if both MeTV and Decades continue to chop into the original content to make room for more commercials.

Last edited by DocSmith; 04-25-2015 at 06:39 AM.
post #10781 of 10790 Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I live on in a second story condo in Cambridge and I use the very simple/cheap RCA amplified HDTV antenna.

I place it very near the window and I get all the "regular stations", and they seem to come in pretty good, save the occasion drop outs during storms. However, I dont get any of the 44.* channels and honestly those are some of my favorite. Also, Im on an obssesive cord cutting mission and would like to get an unamped antenna. Im thinking about getting the unamped "HD Frequency Cable Cutter" (this forum wont let me post the Amazon link).

Can anyone provide me any input if its possible that the Cord Cutter unamped antennae would meet or exceed the current RCA? I may just order it used from amazon for $68 used and return if performance is poor. But if someone knowledgeable here can tell me that the unamped antennae is crap than I wont waste my time.
post #10782 of 10790 Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM

that is the antenna you want, durban. post a tvfool link here for some suggestions or, if you cannot post a link, post a complete address, your height above the ground, and which direction the window points. even a great antenna cannot pull in a signal that is not there.
post #10783 of 10790 Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
But if someone knowledgeable here can tell me that the unamped antennae is crap than I wont waste my time.
No one knowledgeable has tested or examined that antenna that I know of. Lots of marketing fluff and reviews from bloggers (who are generally clueless about what makes a good antenna vs. what makes an antenna junk) are all I've seen so far.
post #10784 of 10790 Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by durban131 View Post
I live on in a second story condo in Cambridge and I use the very simple/cheap RCA amplified HDTV antenna.

I place it very near the window and I get all the "regular stations", and they seem to come in pretty good, save the occasion drop outs during storms. However, I dont get any of the 44.* channels and honestly those are some of my favorite. Also, Im on an obssesive cord cutting mission and would like to get an unamped antenna. Im thinking about getting the unamped "HD Frequency Cable Cutter" (this forum wont let me post the Amazon link).

Can anyone provide me any input if its possible that the Cord Cutter unamped antennae would meet or exceed the current RCA? I may just order it used from amazon for $68 used and return if performance is poor. But if someone knowledgeable here can tell me that the unamped antennae is crap than I wont waste my time.

Hhhhhhmmmm...in Cambridge you're only 7 miles away from the transmitters including WGBX (44.*) you should have no problem getting signals with even good old fashion rabbit ears. It's possible you're RCA antenna is actually over amplifying the signals causing problems for your TV.

Then antenna you listed on Amazon should work fine, although I think it might be overkill...probably go with a Mohu Leaf or something instead.

TVfool report would be helpful though.

Last edited by bac522; Yesterday at 02:26 PM.
post #10785 of 10790 Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM

Quote:

I place it very near the window and I get all the "regular stations", and they seem to come in pretty good, save the occasion drop outs during storms. However, I dont get any of the 44.* channels and honestly those are some of my favorite.
I cannot speak to the "Cord Cutter" antenna you asked about. However, I live in a 3rd floor unit in Randolph, next to the Blue Hill Reservation. That puts me about 15 miles from the Needham antennas. I have a Terk HDTVa amp'ed indoor antenna. I have no problem getting 44 along with 2,4,5,7,25,28,38,56,62,68, 27,66, (Worcester?) 6,10,12(Prov,New Bedford). The antenna is someone directional and sits on top of my stereo away from any window. Reception tends to depend on weather especially blustery days. But most of the time I don't need to do much futzing.
post #10786 of 10790 Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
that is the antenna you want, durban. post a tvfool link here for some suggestions or, if you cannot post a link, post a complete address, your height above the ground, and which direction the window points. even a great antenna cannot pull in a signal that is not there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Hhhhhhmmmm...in Cambridge you're only 7 miles away from the transmitters including WGBX (44.*) you should have no problem getting signals with even good old fashion rabbit ears. It's possible you're RCA antenna is actually over amplifying the signals causing problems for your TV.

Then antenna you listed on Amazon should work fine, although I think it might be overkill...probably go with a Mohu Leaf or something instead.

TVfool report would be helpful though.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Of course I should have posted my tvfool ( *******/BIhbZr ) Address is Broadway and Windsor St. in Cambridge (since linking seems to be totally not working for me). Height is 25ft of the ground and generally westward facing. Which according to the map is a good thing.

But specifically my question is, everything else being equal, is it generally possible in my area for an unamped antennae to perform as good as an amped one? Or will an amped one always do better? I prefer to not rely on the power cord, so as long as I can at least meet the current crappy RCA amped antennae I am using than I will switch.

Based on the feedback tho it seems like the "Cord Cutter" would probably be a good purchase. Since I should be getting 44.* (which I used to get).
post #10787 of 10790 Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

I wanted to add that when I basically loss all reception when I unplug my current antennae from the power outlet. So I makes me really question in an unamped wone will work.
post #10788 of 10790 Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I wanted to add that when I basically loss all reception when I unplug my current antennae from the power outlet. So I makes me really question in an unamped wone will work.
Wow, between not being able to post link and the inability to edit posts, Im really struggling with this website.

Let me try the above again...

"I wanted to add that when I unplug my current antennae from the power outlet, I basically loss all channels. So it makes me really question if an unamped antennae will work in my area."
post #10789 of 10790 Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM

I just want to add that when I unplug my current amped antennea from the power outlet, the tv basically losses all reception. So it makes me have serious doubts about if unamped antennae works at my location.
post #10790 of 10790 Old Today, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just want to add that when I unplug my current amped antennea from the power outlet, the tv basically losses all reception. So it makes me have serious doubts about if unamped antennae works at my location.
I believe you'll be able to post links after 5 post...it's a anti-spam technique for forums.

Your amp is acting normal, without power the amp essentially because like a light switch that turns off all signals coming from the antenna so you get zero signal at the TV.

Also what is the model of the RCA antenna? Do you have it by a window? Some newer windows will actually attenuate the TV signal due to the gases used in the window for insulation properties.

Last edited by bac522; Today at 02:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
Displays