Boston, MA - OTA - Page 366 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 33Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10951 of 10974 Old 08-16-2016, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 41
WHDH going Independent on Jan 1 with a boatload of news
http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/9...ded-news-plans

Sunbeam-owned WHDH Boston (DMA 8), which loses its NBC affiliation at the end of this year, today announced its new programming schedule effective Jan. 1, 2017. The station will be expanding to more than 87 hours of news each week, more than any other station in Boston, it claims.

Beginning Jan. 1, New England viewers will be able to get local news on weekdays at 5-10 a.m., noon-1 p.m., 4-7:30 p.m. and 9-11:30 p.m. On weekends, newscasts will air at 8-11 a.m., 6-7:30 p.m. and 9-11:30 p.m..
unclehonkey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10952 of 10974 Old 08-16-2016, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
ejb1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
WHDH going Independent on Jan 1 with a boatload of news
http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/9...ded-news-plans

Sunbeam-owned WHDH Boston (DMA 8), which loses its NBC affiliation at the end of this year, today announced its new programming schedule effective Jan. 1, 2017. The station will be expanding to more than 87 hours of news each week, more than any other station in Boston, it claims.

Beginning Jan. 1, New England viewers will be able to get local news on weekdays at 5-10 a.m., noon-1 p.m., 4-7:30 p.m. and 9-11:30 p.m. On weekends, newscasts will air at 8-11 a.m., 6-7:30 p.m. and 9-11:30 p.m..
That's a lot of news. I saw tonight on the WBZ news on My38 WSBK that they are moving the 10pm news to 8pm on WSBK. I assume they will air the My stuff an hour later.
ejb1980 is offline  
post #10953 of 10974 Old 08-17-2016, 08:09 AM
Senior Member
 
hybucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
WHDH going Independent on Jan 1 with a boatload of news
http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/9...ded-news-plans

Sunbeam-owned WHDH Boston (DMA 8), which loses its NBC affiliation at the end of this year, today announced its new programming schedule effective Jan. 1, 2017. The station will be expanding to more than 87 hours of news each week, more than any other station in Boston, it claims.

Beginning Jan. 1, New England viewers will be able to get local news on weekdays at 5-10 a.m., noon-1 p.m., 4-7:30 p.m. and 9-11:30 p.m. On weekends, newscasts will air at 8-11 a.m., 6-7:30 p.m. and 9-11:30 p.m..
And, according to this morning's Boston Globe, an hour of FAMILY FEUD in prime time M-F. Can't beat that.
hybucket is offline  
post #10954 of 10974 Old 08-17-2016, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybucket View Post
And, according to this morning's Boston Globe, an hour of FAMILY FEUD in prime time M-F. Can't beat that.
That was also in the article I posted above
unclehonkey is offline  
post #10955 of 10974 Old 08-17-2016, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
That's a lot of news. I saw tonight on the WBZ news on My38 WSBK that they are moving the 10pm news to 8pm on WSBK. I assume they will air the My stuff an hour later.
they could do it even later say at midnight. Right now KCOP in Los Angeles (the west coast flagship) puts My between 11pm and 1am. WSBK could show it during that time too which would allow them to grab the west coast feed. On big dish (C-Band) My network runs the shows on the same transponder at 8pm eastern then again at 8 Pacific time.
unclehonkey is offline  
post #10956 of 10974 Old 08-17-2016, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
ejb1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
they could do it even later say at midnight. Right now KCOP in Los Angeles (the west coast flagship) puts My between 11pm and 1am. WSBK could show it during that time too which would allow them to grab the west coast feed. On big dish (C-Band) My network runs the shows on the same transponder at 8pm eastern then again at 8 Pacific time.
Directv guide: August 29/30, 7pm to 1am for WSBK:

7pm: Big Bang Theory
7:30pm: Big Bang Theory
8pm: WBZ News
9pm: Title not available
10pm: Title not available
11pm: Title not available (Usually Seinfeld)
11:30pm: Title not available (Usually Seinfeld)
12am: How I Met Your Mother
12:30am: How I Met Your Mother

I guess we'll see for sure in a day or two.
ejb1980 is offline  
post #10957 of 10974 Old 08-17-2016, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
Directv guide: August 29/30, 7pm to 1am for WSBK:

7pm: Big Bang Theory
7:30pm: Big Bang Theory
8pm: WBZ News
9pm: Title not available
10pm: Title not available
11pm: Title not available (Usually Seinfeld)
11:30pm: Title not available (Usually Seinfeld)
12am: How I Met Your Mother
12:30am: How I Met Your Mother

I guess we'll see for sure in a day or two.
Zap2it shows My programming from 9-11pm from the 29th on
ejb1980 likes this.
unclehonkey is offline  
post #10958 of 10974 Old 08-17-2016, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
ejb1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
Zap2it shows My programming from 9-11pm from the 29th on
Thanks. I took the time to make a customized TitanTV (with AM21, OTA, and the few Comcast channels I have) all merged together. I should actually use it! It shows the MyNet stuff...

I suppose they still won't show the weekday primtime ACC Network programming, unless it involves BC. As long as ESPN or ESPN College Extra show the game, I guess it doesn't matter.
ejb1980 is offline  
post #10959 of 10974 Old 08-17-2016, 11:08 PM
Newbie
 
Andrea Circle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
More Comcast Anger

I cut the Comcast cord years ago because I was so sick of being fleeced for poor quality transmission and hated extra boxes and clickers. I had a huge sigh of relief dropping off the equipment. Now, it seems Comcast is just reaching out from the depths to screw with my channel lineup. I'm in NW MA, I had 2 antenna professionally installed, one looks directly at NH, yet there is no way I can get ch 60.x, particularly in summer. I am going to lose NBC and am really, really angry over it.

Doesn't anyone care about this? Why don't we have a class action suit? The Sunbeam suit was lost over *standing*. The consumers should have brought that suit, not Sunbeam. Anyone game to be plaintiffs in a class-action against Comcast?

And certainly we should be bombing the SEC with complaints about monopolizing an industry (content plus control of way to access content) and bombing the FCC with complaints against not providing a market with a fundamental stain.
Andrea Circle is offline  
post #10960 of 10974 Old 08-18-2016, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
ejb1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Circle View Post
I cut the Comcast cord years ago because I was so sick of being fleeced for poor quality transmission and hated extra boxes and clickers. I had a huge sigh of relief dropping off the equipment. Now, it seems Comcast is just reaching out from the depths to screw with my channel lineup. I'm in NW MA, I had 2 antenna professionally installed, one looks directly at NH, yet there is no way I can get ch 60.x, particularly in summer. I am going to lose NBC and am really, really angry over it.

Doesn't anyone care about this? Why don't we have a class action suit? The Sunbeam suit was lost over *standing*. The consumers should have brought that suit, not Sunbeam. Anyone game to be plaintiffs in a class-action against Comcast?

And certainly we should be bombing the SEC with complaints about monopolizing an industry (content plus control of way to access content) and bombing the FCC with complaints against not providing a market with a fundamental stain.
It is far more likely, from what is posted on this forum, that NBC is actually going to end up on WMFP 62.X. I am sure they will relay NBC into NH on a subchannel of WNEU 60.X.
ejb1980 is offline  
post #10961 of 10974 Old 08-18-2016, 07:31 PM
Member
 
Channel99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
It is far more likely, from what is posted on this forum, that NBC is actually going to end up on WMFP 62.X. I am sure they will relay NBC into NH on a subchannel of WNEU 60.X.
Comcast / NBC Universal could possibly buy WMFP, but they could also swap ownership of WNEU and WMFP with WMFP owner NRJ. The main value of WMFP is in the spectrum auction value. If this deal took place, NRJ would still have a station in the Boston market with must-carry status, and spectrum auction value - and might get the more valuable Telemundo programming to replace SonLife. WMFP's coverage area is nearly identical to that of WHDH.
Channel99 is online now  
post #10962 of 10974 Old 08-19-2016, 03:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US | Age: 27
Posts: 15,095
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
The auction is already underway, so if WMFP has been entered into the auction and WNEU has not, for example, it is far too late to swap the participation status of the two.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is offline  
post #10963 of 10974 Old 08-19-2016, 06:27 PM
Member
 
Channel99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
The auction is already underway, so if WMFP has been entered into the auction and WNEU has not, for example, it is far too late to swap the participation status of the two.

- Trip
WMFP would almost definitely be involved, since NRJ has stated that was in there plans when buying other stations. WNEU may not be, if they really plan to use it as the NBC affiliate, or a fallback if they can't do better. There also might be an tentative deal in place between Comcast / NBC Universal and another station such as WBPX, dependent on whether that station will continue to exist.
Channel99 is online now  
post #10964 of 10974 Old 08-21-2016, 06:39 AM
Member
 
DocSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel99 View Post
or a fallback if they can't do better.
I wish I could believe that Comcast wants to do better. However, if they want more paying cable subscribers then they will put Boston NBC OTA on the weakest, most out of the way transmitter possible. Then they will tell the FCC that they are trying to swap stations, upgrade transmitters, make deals, etc. And they will prolong the agony as long as possible in order to get more subscribers. I wish I could be an optimist on this, but it does not make financial sense for the owner of NBC to improve OTA in any way.

Last edited by DocSmith; 08-21-2016 at 06:44 AM.
DocSmith is offline  
post #10965 of 10974 Old 08-21-2016, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
wizwor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Danville, NH
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I think of Comcast as the little Dutch boy trying to plug the holes in the dyke. Eventually, he runs out of fingers and the water washes away the barrier. Comcast will do the right thing to ensure their survival.
wizwor is offline  
post #10966 of 10974 Old 08-21-2016, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bac522's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSmith View Post
I wish I could believe that Comcast wants to do better. However, if they want more paying cable subscribers then they will put Boston NBC OTA on the weakest, most out of the way transmitter possible. Then they will tell the FCC that they are trying to swap stations, upgrade transmitters, make deals, etc. And they will prolong the agony as long as possible in order to get more subscribers. I wish I could be an optimist on this, but it does not make financial sense for the owner of NBC to improve OTA in any way.
Pretty much and hence the reason this deal should have never been allowed in the first place by the FCC!
bac522 is offline  
post #10967 of 10974 Old 08-21-2016, 05:26 PM
Member
 
DocSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I think of Comcast as the little Dutch boy trying to plug the holes in the dyke. Eventually, he runs out of fingers and the water washes away the barrier. Comcast will do the right thing to ensure their survival.
Hey wizwor, you speak in riddles! I enjoy the confusion you served up for me here. I'm guessing you see the FCC and OTA as the "water force" that will make Comcast do the right thing? Offer proper, full coverage Boston NBC OTA?

I see internet based streaming as the "water force". IMHO Comcast will survive as an ISP. But NBC, cableTV and OTA will be washed away in the future flood. This little Boston NBC tiff is akin to re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic. It means nothing in the long run.
ejb1980 likes this.
DocSmith is offline  
post #10968 of 10974 Old 08-21-2016, 09:05 PM
Member
 
Channel99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSmith View Post
I wish I could believe that Comcast wants to do better. However, if they want more paying cable subscribers then they will put Boston NBC OTA on the weakest, most out of the way transmitter possible. Then they will tell the FCC that they are trying to swap stations, upgrade transmitters, make deals, etc. And they will prolong the agony as long as possible in order to get more subscribers. I wish I could be an optimist on this, but it does not make financial sense for the owner of NBC to improve OTA in any way.
Whether the inability to receive NBC over-the-air will significantly reduce cord cutting is debatable, though they may think so, especially with WJAR covering half the market. Comcast is not a shining star in the logic department, though. For example, CoziTV, owned by Comcast / NBC Universal, was removed from WMFP's main channel, either because they chose to do so, or WMFP got a better offer from SonLife. On all cable systems, SonLife automatically replaced CoziTV. Following that, CoziTV appeared on WNEU on 60-3. One would think that Comcast would want the channel they own on their own cable systems, but they never added it. Oddly it is on Dish Network, and the CoziTV site and Facebook page promotes watching it over the air.
Channel99 is online now  
post #10969 of 10974 Old 08-22-2016, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
wizwor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Danville, NH
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSmith View Post
Hey wizwor, you speak in riddles! I enjoy the confusion you served up for me here. I'm guessing you see the FCC and OTA as the "water force" that will make Comcast do the right thing? Offer proper, full coverage Boston NBC OTA?

I see internet based streaming as the "water force". IMHO Comcast will survive as an ISP. But NBC, cableTV and OTA will be washed away in the future flood. This little Boston NBC tiff is akin to re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic. It means nothing in the long run.
There are no riddles. Around 25% of people do not pay for cable or satellite. Advertisers are not willing to pay the same for 75% of eyes as 100%. NBC does not have compelling content (Olympic ratings were down 17%). If NBC went off the air, people would not call Comcast. NBC's sponsors would simply lose eyes and offer less for ads. Comcast owns NBC and would suffer by pulling it off the air. So they won't.

In the long run, OTA and OTT will get better. OTA is free. Premium providers have to get better and cheaper or offer something PEOPLE WANT that separates them from the competition. They are trying to be everything -- remote access, security, etc. They are trying to cut costs -- especially for sports. The problem is that the 75% who subscribe pay a lot and if they offer too much for too little, a lot of these will settle for less. That's the leaky dike paradigm. They have to find a product/price combination that will retain sufficient customers and return sufficient profits.
wizwor is offline  
post #10970 of 10974 Old 08-22-2016, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
ejb1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSmith View Post
Hey wizwor, you speak in riddles! I enjoy the confusion you served up for me here. I'm guessing you see the FCC and OTA as the "water force" that will make Comcast do the right thing? Offer proper, full coverage Boston NBC OTA?

I see internet based streaming as the "water force". IMHO Comcast will survive as an ISP. But NBC, cableTV and OTA will be washed away in the future flood. This little Boston NBC tiff is akin to re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic. It means nothing in the long run.
I am glad I am not the only one who had no idea what the riddles meant!
ejb1980 is offline  
post #10971 of 10974 Old Today, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 41
WSBK 38.2 getting Heroes and Icons soon per the H&I website

So yes a CBS O&O station getting something more than Decades. But Decades is 1/2 owned by Weigel who owns H&I
unclehonkey is offline  
post #10972 of 10974 Old Today, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
ejb1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
WSBK 38.2 getting Heroes and Icons soon per the H&I website

So yes a CBS O&O station getting something more than Decades. But Decades is 1/2 owned by Weigel who owns H&I
Cool. I have noticed on rabbitears that H&I was on a LP in Nashua NH, which I thought would make it impossible to be somewhere else in that market. WYCN in Nashua has little OTA coverage and few if any cable deals. Will there be two official H&I affiliates in the Boston market?
ejb1980 is offline  
post #10973 of 10974 Old Today, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US | Age: 27
Posts: 15,095
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Some networks have contracts with LPTV stations that allow them to terminate if a full-power station picks the network up. That could be true of WYCN-CD, though I don't think we can say for sure.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is offline  
post #10974 of 10974 Old Today, 08:52 PM
Member
 
Channel99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
That leaves only WYDN (Daystar) running no subchannels in the market.
Channel99 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off