Forum Jump: 

post #15841 of 17938 Old 07-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
More OT:

For those that have the new D* MPEG-4 equipment, the Rockies v St. Louis is on FSN-RM HD tonight and tomorrow. Could you please report on which channel you are seeing the game and how it looks and sounds? I think it is supposed to be on a channel in the 90's.
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15842 of 17938 Old 07-24-2006, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwanthd View Post

More OT:

For those that have the new D* MPEG-4 equipment, the Rockies v St. Louis is on FSN-RM HD tonight and tomorrow. Could you please report on which channel you are seeing the game and how it looks and sounds? I think it is supposed to be on a channel in the 90's.
Thanks in advance!

It is scheduled on channel 96 on my receiver. That channel is listed as FSRM when you highlight the channel number, although it does not show up as that normally. AFAIK, all FSRM (and I hope eventually Altitude) games in HD will show up on that channel. 96 is fed from one of the D* spot beams.

John M
post #15843 of 17938 Old 07-24-2006, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil T View Post

Back on topic, What is the deal with KCEC-DT 51? for weeks now they are broadcasting analog snow on their digital channel. Not that I would ever watch it but how can they get away with rebrocasting their analog channel via a OTA hookup that shows ghosting even when it does work, about 20 percent of the time?

For the last couple of months until today, I was just getting occasional pixels plus audio white noise on KCEC-DT.

They must have fixed something, because now I get a picture and sound. It really must take some work on their part to put out a signal this crummy though. Maybe they just setup a minicam in front of an analog TV and feed that to the encoder; I mean how DO you get ghosts and rolling bars on a digital signal?

My cable provider is Netflix

post #15844 of 17938 Old 07-24-2006, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil T View Post

Another bad one is Linksys. After about three hours with tech support in India getting cut off and wanting me to go through the diagnostic tests for a third time they refused to replace my router that has a bad port. I will never buy another one of their products again!!

Try 3Com. You'll still be dealing with India but at least they don't make you jump thru hoops. A few weeks ago I had a Cable Router go out(probably a surge that was lightning induced). It was still under warranty, and the next day I had a new one in my hands(overnighted). Cost to me: $0. Despite the language problems, the company is 1st class.

Rants? You want Rants? Try being an un or under employed software engineer when this country is letting at least 65k of them(mostly Indians) into this country every %^%$# year! And then, Bush is out making speeches that we need to increase the quota(65k) because we don't have the talent in this country to fill High Tech jobs! If he wants talent, I suggest that he goes down to Canon City and bend over. He'll find plenty of 'talent'.
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide
38° 57' 49"N 105° 05' 33"W - 8,900'

Enercept SIP Provider
post #15845 of 17938 Old 07-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartinko View Post

It is scheduled on channel 96 on my receiver. That channel is listed as FSRM when you highlight the channel number, although it does not show up as that normally. AFAIK, all FSRM (and I hope eventually Altitude) games in HD will show up on that channel. 96 is fed from one of the D* spot beams.

Thanks JM. Let us know what you think of the broadcast quality.
post #15846 of 17938 Old 07-24-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidboy View Post

Anybody want to meet a Microsoft Exec?

I would be interested in this presentation. I'm set on getting the PS3 with Blu-Ray when it comes out, but it would be good to see a demo of HD-DVD. Don't really know of any place with the proper equipment though.
post #15847 of 17938 Old 07-24-2006, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwanthd View Post

Thanks JM. Let us know what you think of the broadcast quality.

I'm not the best one to assess video quality (audio is more my thing). The telecast was actually the one from Fox Sports Midwest (St. Louis). I was surprised in that I was expecting it to originate from FSRM. At any rate, I couldn't watch a 9 inning baseball game if my life depended on it, but I did manage to watch bits and pieces throughout the game. I did have some interest in that I grew up a Cardinal fan, so I watched to see what they were up to as much as to see the Rockies.

The video seemed excellent from what I could tell. Perhaps not quite as sharp as I remember from the early days of HD, but darn close. During the times I was watching I did not see any artifacts or any other issues with the picture. I would say it was easily close to OTA HD pictures I had seen. Overall I would definitely give it two thumbs up. I must admit, I forgot to check the audio format available as I was using a setting on my HT which was fed from the TV (analog stereo), so I don't know if it was in 5.1 or not. Did anyone else see the game?

Just to stray back to the topic for a short time, again tonight I have no video or sound on KTVD 20. Is it safe to assume KUSA is aware of this problem???? Does anyone know if they are working on it, or do they think everything is just fine like KUSA DT...... ????????

John M
post #15848 of 17938 Old 07-24-2006, 11:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ernie, you were correct regarding the E* software. My version for the 211 is L268.

I also still have no video or audio on KTVD on some of my receivers. Perhaps we could all email Don Perez at KUSA to let him know that many of us can't view the station. Since he answered my last email, I'll give it another try in the AM.
post #15849 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyPreWired View Post

Rants? You want Rants? Try being an un or under employed software engineer when this country is letting at least 65k of them(mostly Indians) into this country every %^%$# year! And then, Bush is out making speeches that we need to increase the quota(65k) because we don't have the talent in this country to fill High Tech jobs! If he wants talent, I suggest that he goes down to Canon City and bend over. He'll find plenty of 'talent'.
....jc

LMAO!

I'm an Oracle Developer and couldn't agree with you more! On the bright side, the wages of these Indian workers is steadily rising, so before long, they will not be so "value added". I get so sick and tired of hearing about how they can do everything we can and get paid 25% of what we get paid. I'm sure $25k goes pretty damn far in Bangalore India. They probably live like kings and queens on that salary because everything is so much cheaper. Put everything on a level playing field and then let's see!!!
post #15850 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 07:08 AM

HD Radio article in today's Post - http://www.denverpost.com/entertainment/ci_4089813

Quote:
Industry behemoth Clear Channel plans to roll out HD capability - and a massive marketing campaign - at all its local stations on Monday

Is SCARE up on Lookout screaming bloody murder??
post #15851 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
So I haven't read much on HD radio does anyone have a link to where a good set of info on this technology?
post #15852 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by colofan View Post

So I haven't read much on HD radio does anyone have a link to where a good set of info on this technology?

http://www.hdradio.com/

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/IS...r/hdradio.html

Here

Reggie

Reggie
Basement: Sony 75" 4K 940D/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077 & MM7055/GoldenEar:Triton Ones,/SuperCenter XXL center channel/ Triton 7s/Oppo BDP-205/Directv HR54/Roku 4K
Family Room:
Sony 75" 4K 940D/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077/ Vandersteen Treo Front/ GoldEar SuperSat60 Surround/ Directv C61K

post #15853 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Wow, not much interest in a meet, eh? I would have thought that with our HD difficulties here in Denver, we would have had a little more interest in talking with someone who has big influence in the HD world.

Here is a recap of the L.A. meeting that happened last week:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalahmar View Post

For those who are interested, the meeting started out with Amir explaining a bit about his job at Microsoft and the career path that lead him up to that point, followed by Q&A's regarding the HD DVD format. We then took a break to eat some snacks at the end of which, Kevin took center stage and started talking about the iHD features and the things you are able to accomplish with it. He showed us some real examples that were very cool and interesting that we will be seeing in the near future. We then had a bit of Q&A with Kevin followed by a special surprise, which was a demonstration of a great looking title that I can't wait to get on HD DVD once it's released.

This was a fun and casual event that brought together people who enjoy the same interests, we got to see cool things, asks questions, get excited about some new things coming down the pipe and meet people who work in the industry who have influence on what technology we see and will be seeing in our household.

You can read more about the "tour" in this thread.

P.S. There would be food, just in case that would convince anyone.
post #15854 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
If Amir will be there, I'll bring friends. I respect him for his industry background, knowledge, and straight forward style since he has been participating on these forums. I would really like to get his take on the new HD formats in person.

Count me in, twice.
post #15855 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by santellavision View Post

And to bring this slightly back OT... When I recently switched from MPEG2 to MPEG4 on E* to get the LIL channels (see, back OT) I have a huge issue with all those big computer companies, (Except Apple, where you can actually still talk to an American and/or go to an Apple store and they will fix your computer for Free while you wait or if you leave it - Thanks customer service!)

[RANT ON]

I am fed-up with companies like MS, HP and E* where they have now outsourced their CSR's to India. This is unacceptable. I wasted hours on the phone with E* a few weeks ago, trying to switch my Sat receivers and programming. They have no clue.

And my wife (who has to have a PC for work) spent about 3 hours on the phone with HP customer support who ended up putting her on hold and then hung-up and left her with her PC all jacked-up. One guy who answered the call as "Hello, this is Bobby..." No, your name is not Bobby - dude. This needs to end.

[/RANT OFF]

Ernie - I certainly feel your pain. My wife works for HP and she has to use their customer support too -and yes she does get India and yes she complains about it.

You are lucky to be near a Apple store as many communities do not have one. Myself I do not like Jobs (personal issues going back to the HP/Apple days with printers - might tell you that story some day over beers )

Lets hope that wages in India go up to the level that it is no longer profitable to have CS located there. I know from reality friends here in Fort Collins that CS places are being put in this area at a rapic rate, so maybe the tread is changing.

Reggie

Reggie
Basement: Sony 75" 4K 940D/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077 & MM7055/GoldenEar:Triton Ones,/SuperCenter XXL center channel/ Triton 7s/Oppo BDP-205/Directv HR54/Roku 4K
Family Room:
Sony 75" 4K 940D/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077/ Vandersteen Treo Front/ GoldEar SuperSat60 Surround/ Directv C61K

post #15856 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Short View Post

Lets hope that wages in India go up to the level that it is no longer profitable to have CS located there. I know from reality friends here in Fort Collins that CS places are being put in this area at a rapic rate, so maybe the tread is changing.

Yeah, but what is the likelyhood of it coming back to the US vs going somewhere else where wages are low and English is not so good? I see it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi Call Center View Post

Welcome to the Support hotline. For assistance on your HP product press 1. For responses to request for funds transfer from the account of the late Dr Adjumaalzan, press 2

post #15857 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

Yeah, but what is the likelyhood of it coming back to the US vs going somewhere else where wages are low and English is not so good? I see it now

Every customer service experience gives me a data point in evaluating whether I want to do business with that company in the future. If a company is going to skimp on CS, they better hope the product is so damned reliable that I never need any CS - or they better make so much money on the first sale that they never need another one.

I don't really care where customer service is located so long as (a) they know the product well enough to do effective PD without wasting my tim and (b) we can communicate effectively. What I really hate are CS organizations where the INTENT is to just waste my time until I give up.

We're in a global economy now where I/T folks have to compete for work. Even if we could put up barriers that would only make us poorer. And if I happen to lose my job, what's the consolation if it went to someone in Utah vs. someone in Bangalore?

post #15858 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 40
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=154

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #15859 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

I think that you hit it on the head! Vietnam(say what?) is now looking to become a hotspot. As mentioned, India is starting to get 'pricey'.

One way to fight this crapola is to stop buying their products. For instance, I won't buy another Dell. Their support is worthless. Their corporate customers got pissed, and Dell had to open a facility here(USA) for those customers.

Outsourcing: One day there are thousands of engineers, QA, support, purchasing and other business folks, assemblers and shippers putting out products. The next day there's the required meeting in the cafeteria. You get a bunch of thanks, a fricken pin & mug, and are congratulated for the successful ramp up, and a brief explanation of your termination benefits. And, then a few months later you walk through the same facility, and there's nothing left. No clean rooms, no labs, no pc's, no parts, just lots of space and empty cubicles. Everything's been shipped overseas.

Work Visas: Corporate America's answer to 'expensive' American labor. I first became aware of the problem in 1993. We were working on the top floor of Digital Equipment's Charlotte facility on a large billing system for D*. All of that space was available because Digital had laid everyone off during their meltdown. Well, as the project progressed, more developers were needed. To the new owner of the company in charge, Americans were too expensive. So, in came the H1-B's. Some of them lived in the same apartment complex as I did. 4 or 5 of them in a 1 bedroom apartment! And in the morning, I'm sure that there wasn't a line waiting to use the bathroom(if you get my drift). On my last project they brought in 2 contractors. Me, and U guessed it, an H1-B. Arrogant, you wouldn't believe! America needed them because we were inferior. Pimps love these guys because they'll work for less. If they pay them $10 an hour less, that's $20k a year more for them.

And, these work visas(H1-B & L1) relate directly to outsourcing. If they don't have 'their' people here, coordinating with the mother ship, outsourcing would be difficult or impossible.

When you hear the BS about 'labor shortages' or 'lack of talent', it's corporate America(and unfortunately our government) priming the pump for more cheap labor and the evisceration of the middle class.
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide

Enercept SIP Provider
post #15860 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxothuk View Post

We're in a global economy now where I/T folks have to compete for work. Even if we could put up barriers that would only make us poorer. And if I happen to lose my job, what's the consolation if it went to someone in Utah vs. someone in Bangalore?

To you, not much. To America it's huge! It's another American making money, paying taxes, and spending that money in their community.

Outsourcing is getting worse, and will not be stopped. But having our government supporting it(it's good for us), and allowing foreign workers to come into this country to take our jobs, is a disgrace. And, where will the jobs be for our children?
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide

Enercept SIP Provider
post #15861 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know how the PQ for the Denver locals via Dish Network compares to that of OTA or cable? E* is my only option up here in Summit County, but I'm curious to see if it's worth it?

Thanks
-Tim
post #15862 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyPreWired View Post

To you, not much. To America it's huge! It's another American making money, paying taxes, and spending that money in their community.

Well, any money we spend overseas - no matter whether it goes to a cabbie in Cancun or a programmer in Bangalore or a seamstress in Thailand - ultimately has to come back to the United States to buy SOMETHING; otherwise the foreigners have given us their goods and services for free. When the money comes back it does end up helping another American make money, pay taxes, and support their community. - just the same as if it had gone there directly.

As for our kids, we have to focus on education to make them competitive in this world; and to be honest, the state of education scares me a lot more than outsourcing.

post #15863 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

And people used to complain that talking about Comcast HD or Satellite HD was off topic.
post #15864 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 04:12 PM

Hi guys!

I have a slightly off-topic question regarding the new DirecTv HD receivers from and locals in Denver. I currently have the Hughes HD receiver and am able to get all of the stations that broadcast digital OTA. DirecTv has been calling and mailing me telling me to switch over to the new dish/receiver so I don't lose any HD programming (yeah, I know, HDLite) when they switch over soon. My question is, with the new dish/receiver will I still be able to get my locals OTA? Or am I limited to getting them off of the satellite?

Thanks!
post #15865 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 04:13 PM

The white dashes along with part of the data at the bottom of the screen chopped off are back on KUSA.

Leonard
post #15866 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdobolina View Post

Hi guys!

I have a slightly off-topic question regarding the new DirecTv HD receivers from and locals in Denver. I currently have the Hughes HD receiver and am able to get all of the stations that broadcast digital OTA. DirecTv has been calling and mailing me telling me to switch over to the new dish/receiver so I don't lose any HD programming (yeah, I know, HDLite) when they switch over soon. My question is, with the new dish/receiver will I still be able to get my locals OTA? Or am I limited to getting them off of the satellite?

Thanks!

Yes, you can still get your locals OTA. The H20 MPEG4 receiver, and the HR20 DVR (coming out in the fall), both have off-air tuners.

Here's a link to the manual if you're interested. http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/Sys...CTV_H20_UG.pdf
post #15867 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 04:39 PM

thanks, kcosby!
post #15868 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent View Post

And people used to complain that talking about Comcast HD or Satellite HD was off topic.

In a convoluted way, it's exactly on topic!
  • No Job = No Money...
  • No Money = No HD Display, Antenna System or STB...
  • No HD Display, Antenna System or STB = Must be a sCARE Supporter...
  • sCARE Supporter = Something Worse Than Outsourcing & Work Visas Combined...
Who's Off-Topic?
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide

Enercept SIP Provider
post #15869 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 05:22 PM

Perhaps this should start airing again....sorry for the length of the link.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_fri0tc...6vback=Results
post #15870 of 17938 Old 07-25-2006, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

If anyone is interested, the HD game on D* tonight is the FSRM version.

FWIW, on the other question I went from an older Zenith HD receiver to the H20 and saw no change in my OTA singnal strengths. It should not be a problem for you.

John M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page