Denver, CO - OTA - Page 598 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #17911 of 17938 Old 01-21-2007, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
31 looks good here as well. Color looks right on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17912 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

I hope you aren't proposing that everyone gets free converter boxes. There is barely enough money ($1.5B) to fund one or two for each of us poor folks.

I think funding a converter box for anyone is stupid, IMHO.

However, now that Democrats are in control of both houses of Congress (and may well be in complete control of the federal government by cutover date) I wouldn't be surprised to see a demand for free converter boxes for anyone with an NTSC receiver go forth by then.
post #17913 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 05:47 AM

Liked: 14
Last night I noticed all the main channels, KWGN, KCNC, KRMA, KMGH, KUSA, KTVD & KTVD all had working guides. Don't know how long it will last.
post #17914 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm not sure that many people will even be able to use a box.

If MATV systems aren't upgraded to carry the OTA 8VSB signals, only the folks with "rabbit ears", and the ones who have their own (stand-alone) homes will be able to use them.

Hope the government doesn't have to start buying all us poor people Cable or satellite service .

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #17915 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Now, there's a thought...........

Make the Cable and satellite companies offer free locals to everyone who asks for them. That would solve all the problems, including Cable's "if it's free to the viewer, why should the Cable company have to pay for it?" campaign.

"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #17916 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

However, now that Democrats are in control of both houses of Congress (and may well be in complete control of the federal government by cutover date) I wouldn't be surprised to see a demand for free converter boxes for anyone with an NTSC receiver go forth by then.

I just don't think this issue has all that much traction. In fact, I'll be surprised if the $1.5B already allocated for STB subsidies gets used up.

My cable provider is Netflix
post #17917 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

My experience has been that if you put the word "Free" in front of just about anything, folks will be lined up around the block to get one. I think the demand may even exceed the supply.

Remember the lines when the gov't gave away old cheese?
post #17918 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Uh HM - it's NOT "FREE" - it's "Subsidized" - big difference. Box will cost ~$100- $200, citizen will get $50 coupon from government per receiver.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #17919 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, but the box they're planning on giving people is supposed to be some bottom of the line SD only box. Which should only cost about $50.
post #17920 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbios View Post

Yeah, but the box they're planning on giving people is supposed to be some bottom of the line SD only box. Which should only cost about $50.

Still, $1.5B is enough to buy 30 million boxes like that. I don't think there will be anywhere near 30 million people who want them.

post #17921 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

No one knows exactly how the "subsidy" will work, yet.

We do know that "qualifying households" (whatever they are) will be eligible for one or two coupons that will count as $40.00 each, off the cost of each "subsidized" box. No one knows who will be handling these boxes yet. The coupons are supposed to be assigned to each recipient, to prevent trading or selling them (keeping them from becoming "cash" or "scrip").

The boxes can only output SDTV at 480i. But, the prototypes have many bells-and-whistles. They have composite video and left/right audio, as well as RF Channel 3 and 4 modulators.

They are supposed to have state-of-the-art chip sets (to allay the fears of broadcasters, who felt they might not work as well as the expensive boxes, making users less likely to use them). They also will operate with a SmartAntenna (another $80-100 for the outdoor unit), meaning they can be used in multi-site markets, and in areas prone to adjacent channel and FM BCB interference. They both do full EPG. The RCA includes an IR-Blaster and timers, so it can control a legacy VCR.

Set-up seems to be pretty fool-proof....Select your language, select regular or "smart" antenna, press "OK" and sit back for a few minutes.

All along, the Government has insisted that all of this competition is supposed to "tame" the Cable industry and it's rate increases. Without these boxes, I'm afraid most limited-income people people will simply call the Cable company in February 2009, and sign up for basic analog service. Then, what is to stop Cable from increasing their rates? And, when Cable goes all digital, those "legacy" sets will all need a rented Digital cable STB.

Without them, will many people have to forego their medications each month, in order to pay their Cable bill? Will the next "transition" in America have to be to "subsidized healthcare" so they can continue to pay their TV bills?

Maybe this is a good tradeoff in the long run.

post #17922 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

I really don't want to be partisan here, but I'm pretty sure that the subsidy program was initiated by the republicans.
post #17923 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 12:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

New homepage on the sCARE website...

http://www.c-a-r-e.org/

It says LCG has asked Judge jackson to dismiss. sCARE responds with
Quote:

"CARE and the City of Golden are responding and exploring options."

Which translates to... We're screwed and haven't a clue what to do.
post #17924 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by santellavision View Post

New homepage on the sCARE website...

http://www.c-a-r-e.org/

It says LCG has asked Judge jackson to dismiss. sCARE responds with Which translates to... We're screwed and haven't a clue what to do.

"But please don't dismiss until we get back to you".......(and under their breath uttering "in a hundred years or so").

Geof
post #17925 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 03:16 PM

Howdy Folks,

I am just writing to inquire whether anyone has an projections for the Boulder area after the new Lookout tower is installed. Will shadowing continue to be a problem with the new location of the tower?

I currently live on the corner of 13th and Alpine and receive decent coverage for my 20" analog TV. I have a large antenna on my condo roof (roughly three stories high). I used to get the big three (NBC, CBS, and ABC) like a good dream with all of them coming in clear. Now only channel 9, 15, and 25 and 59 come in clear, with the Spanish channels crystal clear. Now I just fight between using bunny ears to get a better picture for the big three and PBS channel 11.

I suspiciously think it's my neighbor who is sucking up all the good beams with his unbelievably enormous rig. If you're ever in the neighborhood you should check it out: 1341 Alpine Avenue. It must be illegal. The thing looks like it's about to buckle at any second.

I was really just writing to inquire whether the new tower would help out reception in my area, but I thought I heard Boulder still may be SOL.

Thanks for all your help,

tmb7w
post #17926 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmb7w View Post

Howdy Folks,

I am just writing to inquire whether anyone has an projections for the Boulder area after the new Lookout tower is installed. Will shadowing continue to be a problem with the new location of the tower?

I currently live on the corner of 13th and Alpine and receive decent coverage for my 20" analog TV. I have a large antenna on my condo roof (roughly three stories high). I used to get the big three (NBC, CBS, and ABC) like a good dream with all of them coming in clear. Now only channel 9, 15, and 25 and 59 come in clear, with the Spanish channels crystal clear. Now I just fight between using bunny ears to get a better picture for the big three and PBS channel 11.

I suspiciously think it's my neighbor who is sucking up all the good beams with his unbelievably enormous rig. If you're ever in the neighborhood you should check it out: 1341 Alpine Avenue. It must be illegal. The thing looks like it's about to buckle at any second.

I was really just writing to inquire whether the new tower would help out reception in my area, but I thought I heard Boulder still may be SOL.

Thanks for all your help,

tmb7w

My first response would be to go by your current analog reception of stations that broadcast from Lookout Mountain (4,6,7,9)

The fact that you are getting 9 now is a good sign, especially since they will be using the same frequency (9) after analog shutoff two years from now.

Still, you say that you used to get 4 and 7 analog, but don't any longer? That doesn't make a lot of sense since those stations are all on Lookout also.

Also, I don't think someone else's antenna is going to "suck up" the waves and hurt your reception.

post #17927 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You must be jmartinko's neighbour!

You are indeed a wise man! - TotallyPreWired
post #17928 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I think he was kidding about the "sucking up" part....

Are you getting interference on the low-band VHF channels (2-6)? You might have electrical interference, perhaps from bad lights, air conditioners, etc.

If someone had a huge antenna, overshadowing the existing one (say, within a few feet), it could cause some interactions. If so, you ought to move them apart, or share one antenna....maybe it's time to turn it in to a mini-MATV system.

Also, check all your connections for cleanliness. Some oxidation in the connectors will cause a loss of lower frequency channels.

post #17929 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Can you take some pics and post them here for us all to see?
post #17930 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yeah, post a pic. We need to see if it's one of our own members. Does it look like these?

post #17931 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxothuk View Post

My first response would be to go by your current analog reception of stations that broadcast from Lookout Mountain (4,6,7,9)

The fact that you are getting 9 now is a good sign, especially since they will be using the same frequency (9) after analog shutoff two years from now.

Still, you say that you used to get 4 and 7 analog, but don't any longer? That doesn't make a lot of sense since those stations are all on Lookout also.

Also, I don't think someone else's antenna is going to "suck up" the waves and hurt your reception.

I should have been more clear. I do currently get channels 4 and 7 with the rooftop antenna, but the signals used to be much clearer than they are now. Sometimes I will get a better signal for these channels using bunny ears than the rooftop antenna.

Tonight, I'll go home and manually record my signal quality and post it to the group tomorrow. I'm sure most people aren't interested but I'll do it anyway.
post #17932 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santellavision View Post

Yeah, post a pic. We need to see if it's one of our own members. Does it look like these?

Well, let me back up a bit. The rig next door was an enormous rig until I saw these pics. It's nowhere near as elaborate as the ones in the picture.

It's simply an Outdoor HDTV/DTV/UHF Analog Antenna atop a very high pole. I guess the fascination of my part comes in because of its height, lack of taught guy lines, and a clear buckling half way up the pole. The next high windstorm could easily have that thing snapping off and flying somewhere into the neighborhood.
post #17933 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 04:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_mal View Post

You must be jmartinko's neighbour!

Can't be me, my gear is sucking up all the energy in northeast Boulder. It's amazing that Oxothuk can get anything as he is only about 6-10 blocks away. I may have to go adjust a few things to see if I can shut him off too.

tmb7w
Unless your antenna is close to his (within about 10 feet) I wouldn't expect any 'interference'. As for the wind, if it didn't buckle in that wind we had about two weeks ago, it should be safe. If you are still worried, I hear Deb Carney is an expert on antennas and electromagnetic radiation, and as of a few weeks ago, suddenly has a lot of free time on her hands.

John M
post #17934 of 17938 Old 01-22-2007, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

I should have been more clear. I do currently get channels 4 and 7 with the rooftop antenna, but the signals used to be much clearer than they are now. Sometimes I will get a better signal for these channels using bunny ears than the rooftop antenna.

If that's true, perhaps your rooftop antenna has rotated slightly in the wind and simply needs to be reaimed towards Lookout.
post #17935 of 17938 Old 01-23-2007, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I should have been more clear. I do currently get channels 4 and 7 with the rooftop antenna, but the signals used to be much clearer than they are now.

Ok, back to the original question - I think your chances of receiving digital signals for the major networks once they move to Lookout are EXCELLENT, given that you have a watchable picture for analog now. The beauty of digital is that you only need "enough" signal and once you have enough the picture will be crystal clear.

post #17936 of 17938 Old 01-23-2007, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartinko View Post

It's amazing that Oxothuk can get anything as he is only about 6-10 blocks away. I may have to go adjust a few things to see if I can shut him off too.

But you forgot that I am closer to RP. I'm the one one that's gonna shut YOU down.

post #17937 of 17938 Old 01-23-2007, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 43
NOTE:

Please be so kind to keep POLITICS off the site. Their are many other sites for comments of a political nature.

Thank you.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #17938 of 17938 Old 01-23-2007, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 43
Please be so kind continue this thread in the following new thread....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=793003

(Just needed to help the server with all the posts on one thread.)

Reminder, you will need to re-subscribed to the new thread to continue to receive update if you would like.)

Thank you.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page