Forum Jump: 

post #3811 of 3878 Old 12-20-2010, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllie1 View Post

Suddenlink has added Hallmark and BET to its HD lineup. I would like to see the Weather Channel and VS next.

I would like to see VS and FoxSports Pittsburgh in HD soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 3878 Old 12-30-2010, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Once agian Suddenlink isn't working on Thursday night. Last week it was out (everything phone internet and cable) from 12:39 AM until ? it was after 3:30 AM. This week at least only the cable isn't working once again sometime after 12:01 AM and before 12:30 AM and its still out. Their VIP Perks number is Busy and I have been on hold for over 25 minutes.

They haven't Updated VOD on USA or SyFy since I don't have them in HD yet I watch all of there shows that way but the season finales of Burn Notice and Psych were never added to USA and the season finale of Sancuary was never added to SyFy and neither were the Christmas episodes of Warehouse 13 or Eureka.

I haven't ever really had a problem with Suddenlink and actually thought they were pretty good until October when the cable would cut out for a second or less (a freeze of the picture or loss of sound) it doesn't even make it through a half hour show with out it doing it and sometimes its worse than others. I have had multiple people come out to look at it and they don't have any idea why and could tell me unless the are monitoring it when it drops out. We were suppose to have the digital transition no later than November then it was pushed back until December now it who knows. Now outages the past 2 Thursdays and not updating VOD, I am not happy at all with Suddenlink.
post #3813 of 3878 Old 12-31-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGRSBSKIER View Post

Once agian Suddenlink isn't working on Thursday night. Last week it was out (everything phone internet and cable) from 12:39 AM until ? it was after 3:30 AM. This week at least only the cable isn't working once again sometime after 12:01 AM and before 12:30 AM and its still out. Their VIP Perks number is Busy and I have been on hold for over 25 minutes.

They haven't Updated VOD on USA or SyFy since I don't have them in HD yet I watch all of there shows that way but the season finales of Burn Notice and Psych were never added to USA and the season finale of Sancuary was never added to SyFy and neither were the Christmas episodes of Warehouse 13 or Eureka.

I haven't ever really had a problem with Suddenlink and actually thought they were pretty good until October when the cable would cut out for a second or less (a freeze of the picture or loss of sound) it doesn't even make it through a half hour show with out it doing it and sometimes its worse than others. I have had multiple people come out to look at it and they don't have any idea why and could tell me unless the are monitoring it when it drops out. We were suppose to have the digital transition no later than November then it was pushed back until December now it who knows. Now outages the past 2 Thursdays and not updating VOD, I am not happy at all with Suddenlink.

Is this just your home or also your neighbors? I have no problems at all on the west side of Charleston.
post #3814 of 3878 Old 12-31-2010, 04:46 PM

I also experienced a partial loss of service in the Cross Lanes area as well after midnight. I was watching the Nebraska-Washington game on ESPN HD 773 when the signal broke-up and froze. I checked other stations and some were gone and some were not. All the feed from 760 to 777 were gone. The local HDs were still on 780-784. Some of the SD stations were on and some were not. I switched SD ESPN (26), but there was no signal. There was no signals around it either. I reset the box but nothing changed. I gave up and went to bed. I didn't check the internet so I don't know whether it was on or not. This morning the signals were back.

By the way, Suddenlink just upped their rates for January. My bill went up about $5. Suddenlink said it was a general increase for cable TV service due the cost of doing business. When I checked with the Suddenlink sales contact, they could give me no indication at to when the HD conversion would occur. The last "promise date" was January 27th. If they miss it, I'm switching to a dish for TV.
post #3815 of 3878 Old 01-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdfanwv View Post

Is this just your home or also your neighbors? I have no problems at all on the west side of Charleston.

They said it was a wide area and finally answered after I finished writing and said it was up or would be in the next hour. I think it came up a little after I got off the phone.

Now the freezing of the picture may only be my house as they haven't said anyone else has the problem. They have no idea of how to fix it or what's causing it. I have the wire protection plan so if it was my house it wouldn't cost me anything extra. I will probably call them next month if it is still happening after the digital switch happens (if it does).
post #3816 of 3878 Old 01-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone use an external hard drive on Suddenlink on the Explorer 8300HDC? I want to increase my recording space. 20 hours of HD is not enough. How would I connect it, USB or eSATA port? What would be the best drive to use?

I have heard other people on other cable companies use the eSATA port but the last time I talked to Suddenlink they said the eSATA port was disabled but the USB port will work. Currently I only have a couple year old Iomega 500 GB USB 2.0 drive. I haven't tried it yet don't want to screw anything up on my current recordings.
post #3817 of 3878 Old 01-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Just got a thing in the mail, today, saying January 25 is when my area's (Cross Lanes) digital switch is happening.
post #3818 of 3878 Old 01-24-2011, 10:03 AM

I hope it happens since you have had to wait so long. Short notice only 2 days?
post #3819 of 3878 Old 01-24-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Does anyone use an external hard drive on Suddenlink on the Explorer 8300HDC? I want to increase my recording space. 20 hours of HD is not enough. How would I connect it, USB or eSATA port? What would be the best drive to use?

I have heard other people on other cable companies use the eSATA port but the last time I talked to Suddenlink they said the eSATA port was disabled but the USB port will work. Currently I only have a couple year old Iomega 500 GB USB 2.0 drive. I haven't tried it yet don't want to screw anything up on my current recordings.
You will want to use the eSATA port. I did this last year, and it worked great, but since then the SATA hard drive has died. I haven't gone to the trouble to replace the HD yet.

A.B.H.
post #3820 of 3878 Old 01-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllie1 View Post
I hope it happens since you have had to wait so long. Short notice only 2 days?
Maybe since I have called so much and I have had those boxes since June I was checked off their notification list or many people could wake up tomorrow and wonder where their channels went. It's starting right now, was watching Dana Carvey on Leno and at 12:02 it went dark lost Phone and Internet and it took me a bit too long to unhook the cable and try with out the box to see the end of his appearance but we still have the analog 2-22. It was back up sometime before 1:40 with the new channel lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avas View Post
You will want to use the eSATA port. I did this last year, and it worked great, but since then the SATA hard drive has died. I haven't gone to the trouble to replace the HD yet.
Thanks.
post #3821 of 3878 Old 01-26-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avas View Post

That's really interesting since I spoke with 3 different people at Suddenlink today and all insisted that the eSATA port was most definitely NOT enabled. I wanted to check before I bought an extra drive and each one insisted that they requested that the port was not enabled at Suddenlink's request.

Has anybody else had success adding a drive via the eSATA port?
post #3822 of 3878 Old 01-27-2011, 10:16 AM

As it turns out, I guess my complaining got somebody's attention. I had a message yesterday from a Suddenlink employee stating that YES the eSATA port will work...though he was very clear that they don't support it.

So I guess I'm going to give it a whirl.
post #3823 of 3878 Old 01-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjividen View Post

That's really interesting since I spoke with 3 different people at Suddenlink today and all insisted that the eSATA port was most definitely NOT enabled. I wanted to check before I bought an extra drive and each one insisted that they requested that the port was not enabled at Suddenlink's request.

Has anybody else had success adding a drive via the eSATA port?

That is what they told me a while ago, but he said the USB port works (which I was told didn't do anything before) and that could be used, but I have never heard anyone use the USB port for a external hard drive.

I read the manual for the Explorer 8300 HDC and it said to contact your cable provider for supported hard drives so I did, I sent the email out Tuesday at 8:00 pm and still haven't heard back.

I have read that the box comes with the eSATA port enabled but the cable company can disable it. So they should be able to enable it if they disabled it. I don't know if they would have to come out and do it or send a signal to it like when I first got the box, a message would always come up saying the box would turn off if you didn't press anything it happened at about 1:00 am every night.
post #3824 of 3878 Old 01-27-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:

I have read that the box comes with the eSATA port enabled but the cable company can disable it. So they should be able to enable it if they disabled it. I don't know if they would have to come out and do it or send a signal to it like when I first got the box, a message would always come up saying the box would turn off if you didn't press anything it happened at about 1:00 am every night.

One of the people I spoke with yesterday implied that the eSATA port is enabled or disabled by the manufacturer at the cable company's request. While I'm sure that's true, she was apparently making things up when she told me that the eSATA is DEFINITELY not enabled on Suddenlink boxes.

Buy.com has a 2TB Fantom eSATA drive for $90 right now, but I've read that the 8300 doesn't like it very well. So I think I might try this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MVZ60S/
post #3825 of 3878 Old 01-31-2011, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Well all those new HD channels we got less than a week ago none of them work and haven't since just a bit after 12:01 am. All of our previous HD channels work and all the digital stations still work just not those.

They weren't much help when I called them and said they will have to send someone out and they can't be here until Wednesday at 1:00-5:00. First that's rediculous that they can't get here for 2 days and second how could this be my problem if all channels and VOD work except for the new HD channels we got?

I called back about 2 hours later and told them again and then told them that a friend in Teays Valley had the same problem. They said this was the first time they have heard about it. It evidently got fixed sometime during the day.
post #3826 of 3878 Old 01-31-2011, 07:08 AM

I can confirm that the Western Digital DVR Expander does work with Suddenlink's 8300HDC. I just plugged it in, reset the box, and the 8300 recognized the drive and formatted it. Couldn't have been easier.
post #3827 of 3878 Old 01-31-2011, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjividen View Post

I can confirm that the Western Digital DVR Expander does work with Suddenlink's 8300HDC. I just plugged it in, reset the box, and the 8300 recognized the drive and formatted it. Couldn't have been easier.

Have you tested it out completely yet?
The problems that most expanders have, if they have problems, from what I have read is when you record 2 programs while watching another program that's been recorded (I do that all the time). The ones that can't do it get blocking, skipping, or audio dropouts. I guess it the ones that don't work can't handle transferring the amount of data required for saving 2 HD programs and playing a 3rd one. They would all have to be new recordings as the old recordings would still be on the DVR.
post #3828 of 3878 Old 02-01-2011, 03:07 PM

We haven't been able to get local channels in HD since Sunday. Dish reports that they are relocating the local HD channels to another satellite. Just to confirm their report,is anyone else with Dish Network not getting locals in HD?

This is an issue for Dish Network from Pittsburgh down to Charleston, WV. Can you imagine the uproar if they don't get it fixed by Sunday?? Pittsburgh Steelers fans will be throwing their dishes in the trash!

Lucky for us, we get everything but channel 13 with an antenna.
post #3829 of 3878 Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like a satellite failure:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=189486

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
post #3830 of 3878 Old 02-01-2011, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the link herdfan! Guess I wasn't told bull but also didn't get the full story. Not surprising.
Time to wait it out I guess. Hopefully they get things fixed soon. We have a lot of recording scheduled that isn't happening in HD. Checking daily to reprogram to antenna or SD. It could be worse since only missing locals in HD.
Thanks again.
post #3831 of 3878 Old 02-01-2011, 10:54 PM

Im not getting my HDs either...beyond aggravated
post #3832 of 3878 Old 02-10-2011, 01:52 PM

I was online with suddenlink customer service last week and the tech said that the eSATA port was disabled, I then asked them what they were going to do to address the limited 20 hrs of HD recording and was told that they were looking into new boxes but couldn't give me any speciffics.
post #3833 of 3878 Old 02-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan1999 View Post

I was online with suddenlink customer service last week and the tech said that the eSATA port was disabled, I then asked them what they were going to do to address the limited 20 hrs of HD recording and was told that they were looking into new boxes but couldn't give me any speciffics.

Suddenlink mentioned they signed a deal with TiVo late last year for the TiVo premiere and they were supposed to start rolling them out in some areas at the end of last year and will be rolled out over this year.

Yes I was told that the eSATA port was typically disabled, but some people have used it and I plan to get a 1 terabyte DVR expander in the next couple of weeks.

Their support is not always that helpful. I sent them an email last week, I went back and proof read it before I sent it and it was right, asked about Disney XD in HD since we have all other Disney owned channels in HD, but in their response anytime I mentioned Disney XD the X was missing, anytime I mentioned ESPN the N was gone ESPNews was Spews and all HD was changed to HUD. Even in their response email things were wrong don't was don'T. They said they forwarded my request but with everything spelled wrong it won't help.
post #3834 of 3878 Old 02-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

I just got the 1 TB Western Digital DVR Expander (WDBABT0010HBK-NESN). I hooked everything up and went from 62% to 9%, I have the 8300 HDC. I started to record 2 things and 2 minutes later the box rebooted but worked fine later.
I did the test where you record 2 programs and then play one of those from the beginning. The picture froze (pixelated) once but only on one of the recordings so I don't know if it was the recording or the channel. Tonight I will be recording 2 things again for 2 hours, 3 hour long shows and 2 half hour shows, and will probably watch a previously recorded show that is still on the DVR hard drive (the recordings go to which ever has more space so until I get to about 100 hours of HD recordings everything will be on the Expander hard drive). I am liking all the extra space, I don't have to worry about what I record anymore or how fast I have to watch them.
post #3835 of 3878 Old 03-04-2011, 01:27 PM

Suddenlink has added two channels to its 100 series tier, a country video channel (125) and a rock video channel (128), however neither is in HD. Suddenlink shouldn't put SD channels on an HD tier.
post #3836 of 3878 Old 03-16-2011, 05:31 AM

Looks like they have added FoxSports Pittsburgh HD (channel 229).
post #3837 of 3878 Old 03-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone actually seen fox sports Pittsburg in HD. Every time I have turned to 229 it's always been 480p.
post #3838 of 3878 Old 03-28-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Has anyone actually seen fox sports Pittsburg in HD. Every time I have turned to 229 it's always been 480p.

I thought the first night I saw it up it looked good. But it has been 480p everytime I have checked since then. I called and told them about it. They were going to have the local dispatch look into it.

So we will see.
post #3839 of 3878 Old 04-08-2011, 01:29 PM

Root Sports Pittsburg now showing as 720p, now can see Pirates games in HD.
post #3840 of 3878 Old 05-22-2011, 05:40 PM

IF Channel 8 and Channel 11 is on the Same Tower why can't I get Channel 8 ?
I can pull in Ch 3 almost Full Signal. Ch 13 the Same. Ch 11 smidgen less. BUT Ch. 8 NOTHING is the Signal of 8 not as strong and cover out as far as Ch. 3, 11 and 13 I am on the Edge of the Viewing area. Close to the Mason County Line in Ky. ( Not WVa. ) in Tollesboro in other words. Seems kind of odd same Tower get one but not the other. One almost perfect and the other nothing...Nada...Zilch...not a Bleep? I figure it has to be the Signal pattern not reaching out this far. Also I know Ch. 3 and 13 are Closer to me and Ch. 8 and 11 are further away. Why one but not the other?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page