post #3841 of 3878 Old 05-22-2011, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikor View Post

I figure it has to be the Signal pattern not reaching out this far. Also I know Ch. 3 and 13 are Closer to me and Ch. 8 and 11 are further away. Why one but not the other?

You are correct. Channel 11 is on UHF 19 and Channel 8 is on UHF 41. The higher UHF channels do not carry as far as lower UHF channels. When frequencies were first assigned, Channel 13 was on UHF 47 and at their low power you had trouble picking them up if you were across the street from the tower. They moved to VHF 13 when the Columbus OH station decided to not use VHF 13.

What kind of antenna are you using? A deep fringe model like a 4228 or DB8 or possibly a directional yagi might allow you to pull it in. Are you getting Channel 33?

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 3878 Old 05-22-2011, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
IF Channel 8 and Channel 11 is on the Same Tower why can't I get Channel 8 ?
I can pull in Ch 3 almost Full Signal. Ch 13 the Same. Ch 11 smidgen less. BUT Ch. 8 NOTHING is the Signal of 8 not as strong and cover out as far as Ch. 3, 11 and 13 I am on the Edge of the Viewing area. Close to the Mason County Line in Ky. ( Not WVa. ) in Tollesboro in other words. Seems kind of odd same Tower get one but not the other. One almost perfect and the other nothing...Nada...Zilch...not a Bleep? I figure it has to be the Signal pattern not reaching out this far. Also I know Ch. 3 and 13 are Closer to me and Ch. 8 and 11 are further away. Why one but not the other?
I think herdfan is on the right track. Channel 13 (RF 13), channel 11 (RF 19), and channel 3 (RF 23) are all lower channels. Channel 8 (RF 41) is at a considerably higher frequency. I don't know what any of their radiation patterns are, but maybe your antenna doesn't do as well with upper UHF.

OTOH, I receive WCHS channel 8 fine from more than 60 miles away, so I think they're using plenty of power. FWIW, I'm using a Channel Master 4228 antenna and a C.M. 7777 preamp. I do have trouble receiving channel 13.

[edit] Oops! I just checked tvfool.com, and you're about 1.5 times as far from WCHS as I am. You probably will need a good UHF antenna and a good preamp, and you may have to get them well up into the air, especially if you don't have good line-of-sight. My antenna is currently sitting on a chair aimed out an upstairs bedroom window, and I'm hoping to get channel 13 well if I ever get it up on the tower. Good luck.
post #3843 of 3878 Old 05-24-2011, 05:20 PM

Winguard 8200 U and the Booster AP- 8275 ( Channel Master ? ) Just a Question on 8 and 11 Really do not care because I turn it towards Cincinnati and Lexington most of the time anyways. Always Puzzled me FCC and Neilson a long time ago had us in the Cincinnati Viewing Area DMA. Then decided to switch us into Charleston and Huntington's Viewing area. Across the River Adams County Ohio is in Cincinnatis DMA and Adams County border goes past Vanceburg probably 3 to 5 Miles as far as going eastward Funny how they decide on County Coverage VS. Partial County etc. I can see Vanceburg or Eastward Pulling in Huntington....maybe even Lexington or the SW Corner of the County....BUT Pulling in Cincinnati might be tougher for them. IF Satellite let me have Cincinnati VS. Huntington- Charleston. I would chose Cincinnati because they are closer. To me VS Huntington - Charleston BUT who cares I can get all 3 so why worry. The only thing I hate is WSAZ's Split Studio One News Anchor in Huntington One News Anchor in Charleston plus the Bigger trump card ( BUT I have not watched it for a while tho.) Does Tim Irr or however you spell it to me always looks scared all of the time..... BIG Eyed.... like his eyes are going to pop out?
post #3844 of 3878 Old 05-24-2011, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WDoes Tim Irr or however you spell it to me always looks scared all of the time..... BIG Eyed.... like his eyes are going to pop out?

My wife thinks he is just waiting until they do a live action version of Toy Story as she thinks he looks like Woody.

post #3845 of 3878 Old 05-26-2011, 04:55 PM

No.....No Ch.33
Yea reminds me of Woody.....Maybe if they make a New Masters of the Universe movie he can be Mantenna if those eyes pop out.
post #3846 of 3878 Old 06-26-2011, 08:22 PM

WSAZ news quietly went HD today. I don't think they said one word about it. Looks great! They had a few hiccups here and there, but they actually had 100% of field footage in HD on day one.
post #3847 of 3878 Old 06-27-2011, 06:08 AM

I saw it too, looks great.
post #3848 of 3878 Old 08-31-2011, 09:12 AM

I have read about an new DTV channel 50 coming to the area. Anyone know what they will broadcast?
post #3849 of 3878 Old 08-31-2011, 09:13 AM

I'm sorry it's channel 52.
post #3850 of 3878 Old 08-31-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Nothing. There was a petition to allot channel 52 to the area that the FCC dismissed.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #3851 of 3878 Old 09-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Suddenlink added some new HD channels.

WGN - 115
HSN - 118
VS --- 232
Oxygen - 248
DisXD - 250
GSN - 276
Planet Green - 411
ID ---- 413
SCI - 415
History International - 419
BIO - 420
G4 - 434
WE - 452
Fox Business - 472
FUSE - 488
Fuel - 556
Fox Soccer - 557
CBS Sports Net - 562
IFC - 621
HBO2 - 652
HBO Comedy - 655
HBO Latino - 657
TMC - 731
Starz Comedy - 756 (don't see non-hd version)

I like the additions, The Hub and BBC America I still want. I don't get the sports or any movie tier so I personally don't care about any above channel 499.

If there was any space issues with adding anything I would question HSN and GSN and for our area HBO Latino.
post #3852 of 3878 Old 09-09-2011, 06:11 PM

Glad to see the new additions. 24 new HD channels spread over several tiers with everyone getting at least 6 more channels. I also picked up the HBOs and will now seriously consider getting the tier having the Science Channel. Most glad to see VS and Disney XD in the Expanded Basic tier.
post #3853 of 3878 Old 09-09-2011, 07:05 PM

just saw the additions and I am very happy. I doubted that I ever was going to see vs and fsc in HD.
post #3854 of 3878 Old 11-26-2011, 10:42 AM

Don't know if they will also be adding them in the Charleston area.
I got a card in the mail today saying that Suddenlink will be adding the following channels to the Parkersburg, WV lineup on December 15th.
QVC HD
Weather Channel HD
The Hub HD
OWN HD
BBC America HD
Crime & Investigation HD (Family Package)
Military History Channel (Family Package)
Hallmark Movie Channel (Movie Package)
post #3855 of 3878 Old 01-07-2012, 01:43 PM

Does anyone have the Suddenlink Tivo? How does it compare to the SA 8300HDC and is it worth the switch? Is there a monthly fee to Tivo?
post #3856 of 3878 Old 01-25-2012, 09:06 AM

I called Suddenlink last night to ask about the TiVo service...and now they're coming out Friday to install.

It would've cost me approximately $20 more per month to replace the Suddenlink HD-DVR with the TiVo. But by just adding the TiVo in keeping the HD-DVR, I was guaranteed that it would somehow only increase my bill by $5.50. Plus, they waived the $30 processing fee and knocked the install fee from $30 to $10.

Has anybody else already gotten one. How are they compared to the piece-of-junk Scientific Atlanta?
post #3857 of 3878 Old 01-30-2012, 12:03 PM

I also have the Tivo and find the interface to be much better than the SA 8300 DVR. The Tivo also has more than twice the recording space for HD ( about 45 hours) rhan the SA. I am glad to have switched.
post #3858 of 3878 Old 04-13-2012, 05:22 AM

Suddenlink Tivo installed this week.

I have a 1 Premier DVR 2 Preview receiver configuration.
I did have the SA HDDVR and a single SA HD receiver.

I called and made arrangements on Monday and the install was completed on Tuesday evening. Very happy with quick turnaround. Install crew prompt and quick.

The bad news - The wifi setup for streaming from the Premier to the Preview hardware is a disaster.
I have a g router with multiple APs.
Signal strength is 80+% on the receivers.
Playback of HD content is not watchable. Start/stop choppy behavior.

I like the Tivo interface. I haven't had time to use any of the internet content including audio.

Suddnelink needs to better educate their CS reps and install folks.
I was not informed on the phone that the multi room system used wifi or that the hardware would not allow recording.
A member of the install crew told me that the receivers had hdd.
The same person explained that recorded content should be "transferred" from receiver to receiver due to the poor performance of the streaming.

Needless to say I was very confused about what hardware I had, how it was configured, and how it was expected to perform.

It took a few hours of hunting on the internet to find the product literature for the preview hardware and how it fits into Tivo's product line.
Suddenlink does not have any mention of the Preview receiver or the fact that it cannot record content, that I can find, on their site.

In the end I have gained a HD receiver and lowered my bill by $1 according to the CS rep. I did have to provide a CC number for security against the hardware.

I see the potential for some serious customer complaints due to ill informed customer service and install resources.
post #3859 of 3878 Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone noticed any problems with WCHS HD channel?

It's like the picture's contrast increases slightly then goes back to normal. It does it a lot so it is like a slow strobe light (not as bright) and is much more noticeable when dark scenes are playing. It is very annoying. This is on Suddenlink (don't know if that matters) and it's the only channel that does it as far as I know.
post #3860 of 3878 Old 04-18-2012, 04:41 PM

I've notice the same thing. Been happening about 3 -4 weeks now.
post #3861 of 3878 Old 07-11-2012, 03:23 PM

I am having a problem with optical sound from a DISH 622 DVR to a Yamaha amp. We first noticed it on channel 8 with good morning america. There is no sound except a low rumbling from the sub-woofer. When the source changes from the national feed to local, the sound returns. Then when GMA is over and the source changes to another national feed, the sound also returns. This same thing happens on some of the national news. We've not noticed it on evening programming. But the problem isn't limited to channel 8 or local broadcasts. We enconter the same thing on some cable only programming. The problem happens with some programming that has 5.1 sound and some with stereo only sound. I've used all the different settings on the amp and DVR but nothing corrects the problem.
Regrettably, I don't have another amp. to test with. We do have a blu-ray player and have never had a problem with the optical sound on any source material. I switched out the optical cables from the DVR and blu-ray. The problem remained on the DVR so it isn't the cable.
The DVR feeds into the TV using HDMI and the TV sound has always worked and still does. But the TV is stereo only. The TV has an optical out but the TV converts any digital sound to stereo so I can't determine whether the DVR or amp is the problem that way.
Has anyone ever had this problem? Any suggestions as to how I can determine which unit is the problem?
Any suggestions appreciated.
post #3862 of 3878 Old 07-11-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I think your best chance for an answer is to go to AVS's sister site DBSTalk. In the Dish forums you will have access to the Dish Internet Response Team (DIRT). They will be able to help you if no one else can.

post #3863 of 3878 Old 07-12-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan View Post

I think your best chance for an answer is to go to AVS's sister site DBSTalk. In the Dish forums you will have access to the Dish Internet Response Team (DIRT). They will be able to help you if no one else can.

Thanks! Gread advise!!
post #3864 of 3878 Old 07-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Suddenlink has some Olympic channels HD as far as I can tell.
200 - Is 3D
199 - soccer
198 - basketball

Basketball and soccer could be switched.
Soccer was on last night.
post #3865 of 3878 Old 11-28-2012, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For those of you that subscribe to Dish, WPBY 33 (PBS HD) is up in TEST and should be available very soon.

UPDATE: WPBY HD (PBS) went live on 12/12/12

------------
Signature:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3866 of 3878 Old 05-25-2013, 08:33 PM

Hello,
I am not sure if this is the right place to post, so please let me know if I need to go somewhere else.
Located in Hurricane, WV and want to cut cable.
This is my TVFool report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d1ddaa5138d6ad9

I am wanting to install an attic antenna-once before I had a flat one that sat on top of the tv and got 5 stations, but not wsaz. I think I would have better luck with an attic install, but I don't know which antenna I should go for or whether I need an amplifier. I am planning on only having one tv hooked up.

Thanks in advance.
post #3867 of 3878 Old 05-26-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I am also in Hurricane and have an attic mounted setup. But we are just in a bad location as the main towers have a close to 180 degree separation.

So way back before we got locals via satellite, I installed 2 antennas in my attic. I have a CM 4228 pointed at WSAZ, WOWK and WPBY. I have another TD DB4 pointed at WCHS and WVAH. Any other stations I get are luck as I am not trying. These antennas are combined using a regular splitter which then feeds a CM (forget the #) amplifier. It is then distributed to about 6 TV locations, but is really only hooked up on 2.

I don't think either of these antennas are available anymore, but you can still get the updated version of the DB4 (a DB8 would be the equivalent of the 4228). I got lucky in that I don't get ghosting from simply using a splitter to combine the signals from 2 antennas. I had planned to put traps and everything on, but tried it with the splitter and it worked, so I stopped there.

Hope this helped. Keep in mind, I have a decent amount of money invested in my antennas, but back then there was really no other option to get local channels in HD. By the time you spend what will be several hundred $ getting this set up, you could subscribe to Suddenlink's lifeline package for many months before you would break even.

post #3868 of 3878 Old 09-11-2013, 04:23 PM

Suddenlink Lifeline package? What is this?
post #3869 of 3878 Old 09-11-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

It is an unadvertised package that has just the basic locals and maybe a couple of public service channels. But if they are the same as they used to be, the HD locals will be in clear QAM. You may have to search for them, but they will be there.

You may have to pester several CSR's to find one who knows about these packages as they are really a last resort.

post #3870 of 3878 Old 09-16-2013, 05:12 PM

I see. Thanks
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page