Charleston, WV - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-31-2005, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered a DB-4 antenna from antennasdirect.com to compare with the Terk TV32 I had previously tried from Circuit City. The DB-4 picks up WSAZ (3.1) at 90% versus 80% for the Terk model. The DB-4 also picked up WPBY (PBS, 33.1, 33.2, 33.3) digital at 60%. The Terk never picked up WPBY. Although the PBS station is not broadcasting in HD, it's nice to have the two extra multicast channels. Reception of WOWK, WCHS, WVAH, and PAX was the same for both brands.

Incidentally, the Terk TV32 is nothing more than a re-packaged and re-priced Winegard 4-bay (Model 4400, I think). I called Winegard to confirm.

If I can't talk the wife into letting me mount an 8-bay antenna on the house, I'm keeping the DB-4.

Is it just me, or does WOWK broadcast everything on Channel 13.1 in an a "stretched" widescreen format? It looks terrible. I emailed the station manager but never got a reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2005, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

I am three weeks from my return to Charleston and I can't wait! Anyone else with a nice home theater let me know and I will invite myself over as I have done to Tony's place.

Butting(?sp) colorectal surgeon
Gamertag DocterJ:
Proudly representing "Team AVS" the biggest bunch of degenerates I know!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:28 PM

Are any Charleston stations broadcasting in HD yet? I recently moved here from Pittsburgh, Pa . Back home all of the locals (CBS,ABC,NBC,WB,FOX,PBS) broadcast some HD content....
Old 06-10-2005, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have 3 of the 4. CBS is the holdout. Where you live in the area will determine which way the antennas are. This post will give you a rough idea of their location. Welcome to the area.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Jay,

I actually found a local store in Charleston that carries BLACK Drop Ceiling Rails. I'm going to go pick them up tonight or Monday. I probably won't do much to the HT until the end of the month. I don't have a lot left, but yet so much to do. I need to insulate the ceiling, put in a return and supply, install the drop ceiling, finish cutting and painting the tiles, have carpet installed, install base molding, hang PJ, make screen and put up some sound absorption panels.

Maybe I should have a "Help Tony Finish His HT" party...LOL!!

Tony
Old 06-12-2005, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

Jay,

I actually found a local store in Charleston that carries BLACK Drop Ceiling Rails. I'm going to go pick them up tonight or Monday. I probably won't do much to the HT until the end of the month. I don't have a lot left, but yet so much to do. I need to insulate the ceiling, put in a return and supply, install the drop ceiling, finish cutting and painting the tiles, have carpet installed, install base molding, hang PJ, make screen and put up some sound absorption panels.

Maybe I should have a "Help Tony Finish His HT" party...LOL!!

I would offer my help but that would be like me asking you to help me with surgery, definitely a more harm than good scenario. I will just wait for you to do all the "hard" stuff and come over and enjoy myself.

By the way have you made me a key yet?

Gamertag DocterJ:
Old 06-13-2005, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

You buy the movies, I'll give you a key...LOL!!!!!!!!!

FYI.... As a kid, I was pretty darn good at "Operation"

Tony
Old 06-21-2005, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Even though I'm an Anti Circuit City person, I was in CC @ Southridge on Friday. There little "Home Theater" Room that sounds and looks horrible has one cool thing. They placed an antenna on the roof and are pulling in the Locals.

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! They can show Consumers the difference between HD and SD without selling them HD TVs and letting the uneducated Consumer think everything they watch is now High Definition.

Tony
Old 06-21-2005, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Along those same lines, I was almost excited today. I had to go to Best Buy to get my nephew a gift card. And parked out front was a van that said "Magnoila Home Theater". So I was excited that they may be adding a Magnolia area to our BB. For those who don't know, Magnolia was an upscale HiFi retailer that BB bought. They have been adding a store within a store with the Magnolia lines which are much higher line than a regular BB carries.

But no, the van is just their installation van. Why it says Magnolia on it makes no sense.

But great news about CC. Its about time someone decided to showcase the locals and perhaps indicate that BC has decided not to play along.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, the sad news about CC when I was talking to the Manager of AV about WOWK being the only local NOT in HD is this: "OH, yes they are, we just can't pick them up here". How many people have they told that to I wonder?

Maybe we'll get lucky with BB in the near future.

Tony
Old 06-22-2005, 01:02 PM

I used to work at CC and the only one you can talk to that has any knowledge is Carl. He has a setup at his house and has a pretty good idea about whats going on. The rest of them you can forget about including the Store Manager
Old 06-23-2005, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I know a guy that works at the Barboursville Store that is somewhat knowledgeable. Too much turnover now days for stores like BB and CC to have people than know their stuff.

Tony
Old 06-23-2005, 11:16 AM

I used to work at the BB in Barrboursville as a Service Technician or now known as Geek Squad (I hated the tie). Most people there don't know what their talking about either, they used to have me go over and talk to people who were going to purchase a big amount of equipment so the salemen wouldn't screw up.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if our local DT sations went full power yesterday?

I went down to my parents to adjust my dad's antenna to get WSAZ for tonights race ( I had it optimized for FOX) and it was pulling in WSAZ with no problem. It used to have a very low signal strength. So maybe the power has been increased.

Old 07-02-2005, 01:23 PM

No, I have the same strength that I always have. 91 to 100 on my Dish Network 921. I hope when they do go full strength that I will be able to get FOX and 3 without turning my rotor.

Bill in Winfield
Old 07-03-2005, 05:28 PM

So is WOWK broadcasting in HD yet? Can anyone receive it? I can sometimes get nbc abc and fox with my silver sensor...I ordered a DB4 and was wondering if I can expect to get cbs as well.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Nope. Just digital. See my new sig.

Old 07-04-2005, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by traganoo View Post

So is WOWK broadcasting in HD yet? Can anyone receive it? I can sometimes get nbc abc and fox with my silver sensor...I ordered a DB4 and was wondering if I can expect to get cbs as well.

I hope he is not getting all those in uniontown!

Gamertag DocterJ:
Old 07-04-2005, 06:33 PM

oops, didnt update since i moved ;-)
Old 07-07-2005, 05:59 PM

I was searching for answers on the web why WOWK does not have HD and if they are getting it, when I stumbled upon this sight. I hope Bray can get his act together before football season. I currently have D**, WSAZ, WCHS, and WVAH. Does anyone know WOWK's status? I saw where WBOY is HD. Why not the largest market in the state?

I actually spoke to Bray....he called me via phone to reply to an email to WVMH company website. He stated there is not a demand for HD in our market but was working with Charter to set something up. I sure hope he changes his mind or loses his company.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome footbalfreak,

If you haven't had a chance to read through our many pages, you will see the struggle we've had with Satan. (Term coined by wvudrj). I've sent Lucifer multiple emails. In one reply, after stating that there was not a demand for HD in our market, Beelzebub stated that until the Satellite and/or cable companies agreed to carry the signal, he would not provide it free of charge to consumers OTA. Not sure about you, but to me, that means he's just talking out his butt hole (maybe a problem you can fix Jay). First....there is no demand. Second, he's in talks with Charter? Why even be in talks with Charter if there is "No Demand"? Obviously, he spends more time counting his money than studying the business. I can GAURANTEE you that there is a MAJOR demand for HD in this area. I know of a dozen people on this site that demand it, not to mention the hundreds that do not know of this site.

Sorry for the tangent,

I then sent an email back to The Serpent stating that DirecTV is moving forward to carry all LOCAL HD networks. With our market, which is relatively high, I would expect 2007 as the date D* will have our Locals in HD. The Fallen Prince said nobody has agreed to carry his station, which is a lie, D* did. It just may be a year and a half. Another Forum Member then asked him what comes first, the chicken or the egg? How can D* agree to carry his HD signal when he doesn't even have one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not in Charter territory, so this small deal does nothing for me.

Tony
Old 07-08-2005, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

I'm not in Charter territory, so this small deal does nothing for me.

Nor am I and neither is the second biggest city in the state (Huntington-Adelphia soon to be Comcast) which is part of his market.

Does anyone know if he went full power by the deadline?

footbalfreak,

I suggest you call businesses that advertise on WOWK and let them know you will be watching your football games on WVAH this year in HD because WOWK won't provide it. Let them know that any game in HD is better a favorite team in SD. Until his advertisers start to complain, he won't do squat.

Old 07-08-2005, 05:36 PM

The bottom line is WVMH cant afford to upgrade all its stations. Little old WVMH bit off more than it can chew. That is fine....but why deny D** users the opportunity to get HDTV from NY and LA?.....Its all about advertising. He is afraid we will all do a mass exodus over to NY and LA feeds.

Sad thing is even the SD feed over D** is horrible. They have the worst picture of all the channels. I would be embarrassed if my station looked like that.

I WANT MY STEELERS IN HD
Old 07-09-2005, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

I am soooooo proud to be cited as the original Bray Carey hater!!!!

I am back and redirected my chanelmaster to 300 degrees and get WSAZ WVAH and WCHS all with 70 plus signal without a preamplifier.

Bray Carey is an ******* point blank. I would not piss on him if he was on fire to put him out. Lies, lies, lies from the fork tongued demon is all you can expect as that is all he has given us.

On a lighter note, welcome football freak and I too would advise you to read the entire thread as it is an educational look at where we have come from.

Gamertag DocterJ:
Old 07-11-2005, 12:56 PM

I was at cbs.com and according to this http://www.cbs.com/info/hdtv/hdtv_stations.shtml

They say that WOWK is broadcasting in HD. If we would complain on the main cbs site could we make any progress?
Old 07-11-2005, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I wrote CBS a letter regarding this last fall. It doesn't look like they have done anything about it. Although it couldn't hurt to try again. Somebody different might get the letter and do something.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

I emailed them a couple of times to no avail.

Gamertag DocterJ:
Old 07-11-2005, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

"I live in the 62nd largest market (Charleston/Huntington, West Virginia) and our local affiliate owned by Bray Carey who is a deceptive, manipulative, dishonest man to deal with STILL does not do over the air or any other high definition signal nor any plans to do HD that I can find. You are the leader in HD, just not in West Virginia. I have started to gravivitate to other networks here because they do OTA HD. Please help me and many others here and "encourage" Mr. Carey to broadcast HD OTA."

My new email to CBS.com

Gamertag DocterJ:
Old 07-14-2005, 08:40 PM

I hope D** will have ESPN 2 HD up and running in time for college football.

The All Star game looked great on Fox 11. Kudos to Sinclair Broadcasting. I only wish they can buy out WVMH!!!!!

I WANT MY STEELERS IN HD!!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2005, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Why don't others just cut and paste my email to the network. Strength in numbers

Gamertag DocterJ: