So how is the Charter ESPN-HD quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3878 Old 03-22-2004, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought the quality of the HD feeds of ESPN-HD were great. I watched the Houston/Golden State NBA game on Friday and I was really impressed. It almost hurt to watch the highlights from other games because they were so grainy. Anything that is not HD looks about the same as normal ESPN, since they upconvert it. I'm looking forward to the start of the baseball/football season in HD and when they start Sportscenter in HD in the next month or two.

Discovery-HD looks great too. My wife and I have been watching a lot of shows on there this past weekend.

Installation was a little bit of a mess. The cable guy showed up with a non-HD box to replace my old box. I told him that I needed the HD box and it should come with component outs. With a blank look on his face, he asked what component outs were. So I explained it to him and told him that I needed the HD box. He called some of the other cable guys and they told him to go get one from the warehouse.

An hour later, he shows up with the HD box and starts to install the box. First, he hooks up the component cables and then hooks up the cable in. Next, since he had a hard time seeing where the rest of the cables go, he spun the box around, causing the coax cable to be pulled from the box and leaving the cable end on the box. At this point I decided that I wouldn't let him hook up any more of my cables and I quickly hooked everything else up while he was getting a new end for the cable from his truck.

When he got back, he hooked up the cable and turned on the box. At this point, we could get TV through the ReplayTV, but not through the component outs. So I went through the settings menu trying to find an option to turn on the component outs. When I didn't find anything in the menu, I decided to see if the cable guy put the cables in the right spot. He did, but he didn't push them in far enough. As soon as I pushed them in, everything worked great.

In conclusion, follow wvudrj's advice and don't let them install it by themselves. The cable guy said that he had never installed a HD cable box or seen any of the HT equipment that I have. If they would give the HD box out at the store in the Charleston Town Center mall, I could have installed the box in under a minute. Instead, I waited around all day for the cable guy to show up and then had to deal with a mess.
post #93 of 3878 Old 03-22-2004, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the info.. I'll probably run to the Mall at lunch tomorrow and subscribe. I'll make sure I make an appointment for a day I can be home.
post #94 of 3878 Old 03-22-2004, 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by clueless
Thanks for the info.. I'll probably run to the Mall at lunch tomorrow and subscribe. I'll make sure I make an appointment for a day I can be home.

Yeah, they will say that they will be there from 8-4:30 or something similar. You pretty much have to have the whole day off. Luckily, the cable guy got done at 4:00pm, right when I had to leave to pickup my wife from the airport.
post #95 of 3878 Old 03-22-2004, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, but I had to say it, Charter people are clueless at all times. Insist that you hook it up. By the way fleegs did you pay for your top notch installation? If so raise H*ll, how can these people know so little about their own company and technology! Any way welcome to the HD world.

Anyone else seen the advertisements on TV by Bray Carey CEO of WV media Holdings? "Contact us and let us know how we can serve you better" Yeah here is how, either start broadcasting HD OTA or sign my waiver so I can get the CBS HD feed via direct tv!

Butting(?sp) colorectal surgeon
Gamertag DocterJ:
Proudly representing "Team AVS" the biggest bunch of degenerates I know!
post #96 of 3878 Old 03-24-2004, 08:46 AM

Well they waived the installation fee for me, but insisted that their installer has to install it... I'll let you know if I have a similar horror story next week.
post #97 of 3878 Old 03-24-2004, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Let them install it. On an old 19" TV sitting in the middle of the room away from everything else they could harm.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
post #98 of 3878 Old 03-24-2004, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by herdfan
Let them install it. On an old 19" TV sitting in the middle of the room away from everything else they could harm.

That would definitely work if you had my installer come to your place. He had no clue.

I might have to call Charter and see if I can get my install fee back. Even though I got a $50 DVD player out of the deal.
post #99 of 3878 Old 03-24-2004, 07:27 PM

I emailed WCHS (local ABC affiliate) asking whether they intended to pass along the ABC HDTV signal anytime soon. WCHS is commonly-owned - or at least commonly managed - with WVAH, the local Fox affiliate. Here's the reply:

" WCHS (DTV ch. 41)and WVAH (DTV ch 19) both plan to broadcast in
HDTV. We hope to have HDTV network pass through available later this year.

The collapse of the WVAH tower during the ice storm last winter has
caused considerable delay with our DTV projects. We are in the process
of replacing both the tower and building with a new WVAH facility. The
new tower will be the same height as the old WVAH tower, 1500ft for
maximum coverage. We do not plan to operate at "full" DTV transmitter
power for either station, but a "medium" power level instead.

Currently WCHS-DT-41 is on air with standard DTV (our analog signal
converted to digital) using a low power transmitter covering only the
local Charleston area. Depending on where you live you may be able to
receive this signal with standard UHF antenna (not VHF)."

Sort of encouraging. We'll see how they follow through on this.
post #100 of 3878 Old 03-24-2004, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Just noticed on my direct tv tonight two listings for WCHS, one with HD listings and one as digital but both under 8-1 on the channel guide. I could never get WCHS but this is a recent change. Any one else notice this. It is in the Direct tv program guide on the HD direct tv boxes

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #101 of 3878 Old 03-24-2004, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Everyone Tom in WV who recently joined just got his HD TV and HD direct tv today. Congratulations and enjoy the kings lakers game!

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #102 of 3878 Old 03-25-2004, 12:37 PM

WCHS showed up yesterday on my D* box also mapped to channel 8-1. Tried to tune it in but i'm in Huntington and it was pointless. I would just like WSAZ to get back up and running, any idea on the timeframe?

-spence
post #103 of 3878 Old 03-25-2004, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Spoken to wsaz several times and always 1-2 weeksto fix problem, over last several calls spanning one month. Alignment issues with signal to tower. I with you I wish they would hurry, I had occasional dropouts but the picture on HD shows was worlds apart from Charter PQ!
Before wchs was on 8-1 but no channel guide info, suddenly I think last night was the first time I noticed some of the prime time stuff was listed as HD, must be an error because they have no current plans for a firm HD signal date. Their signal power is very low to begin with!

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #104 of 3878 Old 03-26-2004, 12:43 PM

Man you guys are really scraping for HD content.
I hope there is a lot more available towards the end of the year.
I hope to be on board by then.

The Entertainment Cave II coming soon.

post #105 of 3878 Old 03-29-2004, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I'm glad to see an active interest in HD in WV. I'm originally from the Sutton area but have lived in Northern VA (DC area) since graduating WVU in the early 70s with an electronics engineering masters degree (techo geek even back then). I have had a home theater for (believe it or not) 30 years and a DTV web site for about 6 years now (www.dtvmax.com). I'll be retiring in a couple of years and moving back to WV (as least for the summers). I trust all of you guys will get the broadcasters and cable companies straightened out by the time I make it back.

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #106 of 3878 Old 03-30-2004, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Always good to come back home, but getting charter and West Virginia Media Holdings in line is an other issue all together.

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #107 of 3878 Old 04-06-2004, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

To those that are interested WSAZ HD digital OTA signal is back on line!

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #108 of 3878 Old 04-13-2004, 02:25 PM

Just an FYI on Charter "service". Around 3 weeks ago I made an appointment with Charter for them to "install" the HD-STB this past Thursday (since I was planning on taking a couple of days off due to the local school system's spring break). Well Thursday rolls around and around 11am I get a call telling me they are "out of HD boxes but they should come in by the end of the day and they will come out before noon the next day". Since I was working around the house anyway I said OK. Friday noon comes and no one shows up. I decided NOT to call to complain but to just let it play out. Finally around noon on Saturday I get a call from the installer (a contractor) saying he'll be at my house "in a couple of hours". Against my better judgment I said OK. Now to his credit he did show up around 2pm and he was fairly knowledgeable. The HD box works fine and the HD picture is great . However the cost is way too much for what you get (ESPN-HD and Discovery-HD). I'll be switching to DirecTv very soon.
post #109 of 3878 Old 04-13-2004, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

It is a shame Charter has a monopoly on cable modem service because once locals are on HD I plan to drop their television service. Nothing would make me happier than to divorce myself from them. I BELIEVE (CORRECT ME) that DSL is not as good and no cheaper than cable modem.

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #110 of 3878 Old 04-14-2004, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wvudrj
It is a shame Charter has a monopoly on cable modem service because once locals are on HD I plan to drop their television service. Nothing would make me happier than to divorce myself from them. I BELIEVE (CORRECT ME) that DSL is not as good and no cheaper than cable modem.

You don't have Adelphia. Actually I have both DSL and cable. I use cable most of the time because it is faster and I use multiple streams during the day, but the DSL is much more stable. I have to switch from cable to DSL at least once a week because the cable is not working properly. When I only had DSL, it NEVER went down. So if all you do is surf and check e-mail, DSL will be just fine.

post #111 of 3878 Old 04-14-2004, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quiet Down I am going to compliment charter! There cable modem has been fast AND stable since I have had it. (Did I just say that?) I also play XBOX live so I need the extra speed so I have to go with cable. That is it though otherwise charter is worthless, just like Bray Carey!

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #112 of 3878 Old 04-14-2004, 03:02 PM

I have DSL and am very happy with it. 1.5 Megabits/sec download (both claimed and actual) and 150 kilobits/sec upload (claimed and actual). Cost is $35/month. Faster upload speeds would be nice but I really don't need upload speeds very often.
post #113 of 3878 Old 04-20-2004, 08:28 PM

I've had Verizon DSL for more than 4 years (my modem still says BellAtlantic on it). I can't remember the last time it was down. I had perhaps a couple of outages in the first year and none that I can recall since. My throughput is the same as clueless.

My father has Charter cable modem service. They have deprovisioned him twice in the last six months, without explanation. Both times they rolled a truck and found no problem. It did not get fixed either time until spent an hour on the their support line wrestling with them. I couldn't design a worse outfit if I tried.

Go ahead, wvudrj, move to Verizon DSL. You won't miss a thing.
post #114 of 3878 Old 04-25-2004, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys.....I'm a member of the WVHT Group and finally got on board with this forum. I've talked to wvudrj a few times on AOL. I've been in talks with the Local Engineers in the Charleston/Huntington area for about a year now. Jay is correct, WCHS has no plans for HD content. The reason being is due to their primary tower collapsing over a year and a half ago from a major storm. Rumors are, they are looking to build a tower somewhere in Putnam County. The good thing is, since Digital Reception is very localized, it will be nice we can all point our antennas in one direction and receive all the channels.....once they become available. I'm lucky enough to have CBS-HD through DirecTV. When I signed up with them over a year ago, I asked about the waivers. They gave me CBS right then and there without a 45 day wait. Odd thing is, when Jay was discussing the waiver issues with WSAZ, I told a friend all they had to do was call and they had a general waiver for CBS out of NY and LA for our area. She called and she has it too. Not sure why they are playing such hard ball now. When they announced CBS, they stated that a deal with Fox will be coming soon. At this time, Fox is not HD period. They are Enhanced Widescreen or something like that. However, they are on the bill to have SEVERAL NFL games this year along with the Superbowl. I have Fox NY and LA on SD, so I will have the HD soon. Suberbowl this year looked great in HD. My family that came over was amazed at the picture.

Tony
post #115 of 3878 Old 05-10-2004, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else been unable to get wsaz digital for last couple of weeks. Seems as if it is out again!

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #116 of 3878 Old 05-10-2004, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got my new HR10-250 HD DVR and I put a new CM4228 with a CM7777 in my attic. I am picking up WSAZ great. FWIW, my signal strengths are in the mid 90's. I am also getting WOWK rock solid as well. No HD pass through, but I do get their digital signal. My signal meter also shows me getting WCHS on occasion, but I have not been able to pull a picture.

We just need to keep writing them letters asking for them to pass on the HD feeds. According to one of the Foxeng on this forum, all Fox stations are getting the equipment to do the 720p HD and that Fox will expect them to use this equipment to pass through the HD feed.

post #117 of 3878 Old 05-10-2004, 06:08 PM

Hey herdfan, where are you located? I've thought about putting an antenna in the attic, but am not sure it would let me pick up WSAZ. I'm in Cross Lanes.

Is the pre-amp necessary/typical for this type of setup?

Go Herd!!!
post #118 of 3878 Old 05-10-2004, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I am about 1 mile N of the Teays Valley exit. My antenna is pointed at 260 deg. even though Antennaweb.org says they are at 288 deg from my location. It is pointed this way to get the max height in the attic as it is parallel with my ridge beam and only about 3 inches below it. Any lower and it could be blocked by my HVAC duct.

As for the pre-amp. I was getting 90+ with WSAZ without it, but only mid 70's for WOWK. When I added the amp, WSAZ stayed the same, but WOWK jumped to the high 80's, so it made a difference there.

In Cross Lanes you should be able to get WSAZ. You will need to have a good antenna like a CM 4228 or maybe even the 4221.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

post #119 of 3878 Old 05-11-2004, 06:10 AM

I also recently installed the 4248. It is huge. I also have the CM UHF only preamp.

I put it on the chimney of my two story house. I now get WSAZ HDTV perfectly. I also get WOWK but as Herdfan says, there is no HD.
If I rotate the antenna, I can now get all of the digital stations, including WCHS,PAX (who cares),PBS (3 channels).

I just received a letter from Dish network telling me that I will be losing my East West Distant Network stations that I have had for at least 7 years. I had been looking forward to the CBS HD feed for my Dish 921 HDPVR that I ordered in Oct that I may never see. I assume this because Charleston now has locals. ( I do not suscribe to the locals I use my antenna.)

I now will be looking at Direct TV HDTivo when they get the locals. I read that will be about June 24.

Bill in Winfield
post #120 of 3878 Old 05-18-2004, 11:52 AM

Herdfan,
Does your STB have a signal meter within it?
I live clear up in Fairplain and I am wondering if I can pick up WSAZ up here.
Is there anyway for me to have the signal measured before purchasing the antenna equipment?
The CM UHF preamp that HDTV in WV mentioned, is that the same one that you have?

The Entertainment Cave II coming soon.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page