Charleston, WV - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3878 Old 08-02-2003, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wanted to get this started to find if any other people in West Virginia were on the forum and keep info up to date. Currently we have no local offerings for HDTV, we are barely digital in terms of our local stations. Charter who is our only option (not that great) transiently offered HD service earlier this year for HBO and Showtime but has since stopped due to lack of interest.

Any way anyone adding info is appreciated.

Butting(?sp) colorectal surgeon
Gamertag DocterJ:
Proudly representing "Team AVS" the biggest bunch of degenerates I know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3878 Old 08-05-2003, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

I guess this will be MY thread but just got my HLN 5065 and just got off the phone with charter communications and my HD STB will be delivered in AM for HD discovery and HD HBO. Also my BRAVO D1 ON ORDER. bIKERMAN CAN YOU HERE ME?

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #3 of 3878 Old 08-06-2003, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Just got the Scientific Atlanta 3100HD today and hooked it up via component to 50" sammy. HDdiscovery is beautiful!!!!!!, HBO stuff not appearing truly hi def yet, waiting a more recent movie. Any way though limited HD is available in Charleston

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #4 of 3878 Old 08-07-2003, 09:23 AM

wvudrj,
Thanks for setting up this thread and for your PMs. I bought an HLN507 early in July and, between that and a lot of travel, have visited AVS infrequently.

So Charter is offering HBO and Discovery HD? Did you happen to talk to them about ESPN HD or other offerings?
post #5 of 3878 Old 08-07-2003, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

No ESPN HD news but they told me that Mark Cuban that owns the mavericks and HDnet is a large shareholder in Charter so that may be the next channel but no timeline. Charter if you call them will tell you HBO is free but HDdiscovery is 5 dollars, the box is 4 dollars and instillation is 30 dollars. I told them I was already paying more than 100 bucks a month and I could install it myself. After a lot of nonreturned phone calls Adam got me the box for 4 bucks a month, the box I installed for free, and free HBO an free HD discovery. Look into it 4 bucks a month is worth it. By the way bravo D1 on the way I will let you know. Stay in touch.

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #6 of 3878 Old 08-14-2003, 02:41 AM

Glad to see this thread opened. I live in SE Ohio and have continually contacted all the HUnt/Charleston stations re: digital broacasts OTA.
To date, most are "delay and deny" responses. I do receive Channel 3 (WSAZ) in digital and the picture quality is excellent eliminating all the shadow and fluctuations I always got in SD. Sad but all the rest seem to blame $ for the delay with Fox 11 blaming a tower crash.
Let them know you are here and expect progress on digital.
Incidentally the Directv HD broadcasts are quality broadcasts and I recommend it if you are searching for delivery of HD in your area.
post #7 of 3878 Old 08-15-2003, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info justice, I have run into the same hurdles, I will be moving away for one year the returning so not ready to invest in dtrecttv yet, due to uncertainties with my temporary residence.

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #8 of 3878 Old 08-27-2003, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I'm currently researching HDTV in this area for when I actually get a HDTV. I thought about giving Charter a call so I at least they know one more person is interested in it. I'll see if they have any updated info yet (ie INHD).
post #9 of 3878 Old 09-01-2003, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

I was at "A Taste of Charleston" yesterday and ran into the WSAZ station manager. He said that the primetime nbc shows could be picked up in hi def with a set top box. I specifically asked him that it was Hi def and not just digital and he asked me to email him and he would send me the high def lineup.. I find this hard to beleive but I will try it. When I find out I will post the info. He also mentioned that the other stations were doing similar things and that charter would not carry them due to bandwidth limitations!

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #10 of 3878 Old 09-02-2003, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the update. I figured charter would say something like that. I haven't had the chance to call charter yet, but I hopefully will at the end of this week.

wvudrj: So you just bugged them enough to get the free channels(and install) and to only pay for the box. I might have to try that. I'm paying $85 for digital cable, HBO, pipeline and would like to get the HDTV broadcast. But I don't think HD Discovery is worth the extra $5.
post #11 of 3878 Old 09-02-2003, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah fleegs I told them I was already paying 100 dollars a month, charge 40 dollars for installation? I'm sure the guy couldn't figure out my system. Any was this is from the station manager at WSAZ channel 3 Jack Deakins

"Jay,
Attached is the NBC fall schedule with the shows that will be broadcast in HD 1080i. All NBC HD is in 1080i. In addition, several specials and sports programs will be offered this year. The 2004 Olympic Games from Athens will also be offered in HD.

This programming is only available via our over the air digital signal on channel 23. There are several "early adopter's" who report to us that they receive the DTV signal. I hope that you are able to purchase a DTV receiver with an outdoor antenna and will enjoy digital and HDTV soon.

I am still waiting for replies from other area stations that I emailed today. I will keep you posted.

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #12 of 3878 Old 09-11-2003, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

More info for the charleston crowd, I called wchs since they never returned my Email and asked about HD. The answer is they are broadcasting a digital signal now but no HD. My next question was when, and the answer was "In the future", yeah no sh*t, the truth of the matter is it looks like we should look to direct tv for more stations. The other stations also have not responded but no time to call so far.

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #13 of 3878 Old 09-11-2003, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Good to seen more West Virginian's on here. I'm in the Eastern Panhandle myself and am served by DC's market.

We've got a NBC affiliate in Hagerstown, MD that started broadcasting in digital this summer but they said it will be over a year before they start broadcasting in true HD. So it sounds like WCHS may be taking this route. It's hard for them to justify the expense knowing that they won't reap much in extra revenue. Doesn't Charleston cable though offer some form of HD?
post #14 of 3878 Old 09-12-2003, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Change of plans just returned from circuit city and negotiated with them in regards to the new direct tv deal for $399 which includes a 3lnb eliptical dish, a samsung sirts160 reciever and install. The sales manager named Ty set up a deal for $450 and a 50 dollar rebate. Keep in mind the total for these regular at circuit city is close to $800. The kicker is when he rang it up the rebate turned out to be 100 dollars! WOOHOO!!!. Install is on tuesday, I had to have the reciever shipped but now I will get HDHBO, ESPNHD, HDNET, HDMOVIES, and HD showtime. I will keep you all posted. If anyone is interested I have the promotion codes from TWEETER that Ty matched though he never asked for them.

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #15 of 3878 Old 09-17-2003, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Update. I recieved and installed the samsung ts160 D*/ota reciever with a radio shack u75r uhf antenna on the roof yesterday and here are the results.
Direct TV HD has more to offer HDNET, NDNETmovies, HDHBO, HDshowtime, HD PPV, HD discovery, ESPNHD but compared to the HD cable from charter it is not quite as good quality wise which I hate to say because I HATE charter cable.
2. Our local WSAZ digital signal offers HD!!!!!!! Jay Leno last night was spectacular via my OTA portion of the samsung. The problem is my reciever drops the signal occasionally, which I still have yet to figure out. But HD is now on our local system!
3. Channel 8 and PBS also offer digital signals OTA but no high def yet.
So I think it will be a good investment once all the bugs are ironed out, if my wife can handle it.

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #16 of 3878 Old 09-17-2003, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What's the signal strength on the NBC station, your distance from the station and the type of antenna?

I actually just got mine moved out of my attic today and onto the roof, what a difference that makes.
post #17 of 3878 Old 09-19-2003, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

The signal strength is 70 but the problem is I am suffering a labile signal strength. I am 40 miles from the towers and have a radio shack U75r UHF antenna. I had wchs for one day. Will try to elevate the antenna or add an amplifier. Thanks for keeping the thread going guys.

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #18 of 3878 Old 09-21-2003, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

The problem here is multipath, I just raised my antenna to 15 feet off the roof (really gaudy but now get NBC with no dropouts and picked up pax. The other stations are on the same mountain but unable to get them. I question their signal strength. Anyway tonight was the first night I was really glad I got the direct tv deal. At one time the Miss Hawaiian Tropic contest was on HDNet, Trading Spaces ( I love Paige,my wife likes the show) was on HDDiscovery, Sunday Night Football on ESPNHD ( what a picture) and Law and order was in HD from our local WSAZ station OTA. Finally some choices. I will pick on the other local stations for info. It can only get better........ until my 15 foot antenna collapses!!!

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #19 of 3878 Old 09-22-2003, 08:00 PM

Hey wvudrj, good to hear you are getting WSAZ OTA. You mentioned you are 40 miles from the towers. Where are the towers?
post #20 of 3878 Old 11-14-2003, 01:54 PM

I noticed about a week ago that Charter added HD Showtime. I haven't called to see how much it is, but it is probably around $7-$10/month. Hopefully it is a sign of more channels coming.
post #21 of 3878 Old 11-15-2003, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Fleegs, I had to go to directtv to get ESPN HD, have not regretted it so far. Charter is very frustrating! No great solution yet though. WSAZ digital OTA really is nice

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #22 of 3878 Old 11-24-2003, 01:19 PM

Glad to see you back, wvudrj.

I just visited the Charter location in Teays Valley to inquire about HDTV. The fellow I spoke with made several phone calls on my behalf, but the result was laughable. For an extra $10/Month you can get HDNet. Period. Discovery HD is another $3.99/month. HBO and Showtime are available at additional cost. No near-term plan for WSAZ, ESPN-HD or anything else.

In an astounding illumination of the obvious, he made the comment that "you can tell we don't get a lot of questions about HDTV."

When DirecTV offers local network affiliates in '04, there will be a mass exodus from Charter. wvudrj, how do the analog stations look on DirecTV? The only thing holding me back is the fear that overly-compressed analog channels will be even worse than Charter's analog offering.
post #23 of 3878 Old 11-25-2003, 01:42 AM

Good to see some interest in hdtv in the charleston/huntington area. My biggest beef is with wowk rebroadcasting a stretched version of their analog feed on their digital spectrum. I called and they told me that they were "looking into" passing through the hd feed. All who care to see all the hd broadcasts CBS has to offer should call their office ask for engineering and complain about the sorry job of broadcasting they are doing. Better yet call West Virginia media Holdings cuz that' s who owns them. Just because we are in Wv doesn't mean that this crap can fly!

spence
post #24 of 3878 Old 11-27-2003, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Looks like our numbers are growing, happy thanksgiving all! Any one else reeeeaaaallllyyyy excited about the possibility of watching the GATORBOWL on NBC in HD? A lot of maybes here, maybe WVU will get in and maybe NBC will cover it in HD and maybe WSAZ will pass it on in HD. But we can hope.
As for WOWK I do not get their signal at all. WCHS comes in intermittently but only in digital and not HD. NBC is perfect from my house. I am unaware of the difference in power between the local channels. I do get PAX without a problem but have never watched it.
Keep posting and thanks!

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #25 of 3878 Old 11-27-2003, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Where are you to pick up WOWK I am in charleston and I get:
1. WSAZ perfect with no drop out in HD and signal strength 80
2. WCHS intermitently (no HD available)with drop out and signal strength 20
3. WOWK never
4. PAX all the time
5. PBS sometimes but no HD signal

I have a samsung sirt 160, rooftop Radio shack UHF antenna (on a 15 foot pole!)

I think all the towers are on the same hill between charleston and huntington but I don't know broadcast strength for each station

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #26 of 3878 Old 12-01-2003, 01:22 AM

I'm in Huntington and use a zenith sat-520 with
a silver sensor on top of my tv

I can receive:
wsaz always 90%
wowk about 65%
pbs 50%
some religious channel 99%
wchs never even a blip

keep calling and irrritating wowk!

-spence
post #27 of 3878 Old 12-01-2003, 05:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
You wanted to see their power levels?

03-1 23 WSAZ-DT NBC 425. kW (STA)
08-1 41 WCHS-DT ABC 2.90 kW (STA)
11-1 19 WVAH-DT FOX 3.00 kW (STA)
13-1 47 WOWK-DT CBS 7.57 kW (STA)
25-1 26 WKAS-DT PBS 61.3 kW (LIC)
29-1 39 WLPX-DT PAX 1000 kW (LIC)
33-1 34 WPBY-DT PBS 60.1 kW (STA)
42-1 43 WPBO-DT PBS 50.0 kW (CP)
53-1 17 WHCP-DT TWB 19.1 kW (STA)
61-1 44 WTSF-DT REL 14.4 kW (STA)

Have fun!

- Trip
Bitstream Admin

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #28 of 3878 Old 12-01-2003, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

To trip, thanks for the info, that explains why WSAZ and PAX are so clear and why every thing else is subpar (WCHS) or nonexistent (all others). This makes me think I dont need a new antenna or preamp, instead I need these weak stations to get on the ball!!!!

To Bikeman, the analog stations, are of many different qualities, we still have basic cable at this point for the locals.

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #29 of 3878 Old 12-02-2003, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Spoke to the engineer at WCHS/FOX and no plans to increase the power of their signal until "next year" no specifics, BOOOOOOO!

Spoke to the engineer at WOWK(CBS) and he is going to call me back about both power increase from tower and passing the HDTV feed from the network. He said I was the third person that called regarding these things.

Spoke to WSAZ and no info about gatorbowl being in HDTV but at this point I doubt it, but we can still hope. I also thanked WSAZ because their signal power is not only 50 times greater but they are also passing the HDTV feed which is really nice if you have not seen it. Sure they stretch their local news shows but give them credit for being so far ahead of the other locals!

Gamertag DocterJ:
post #30 of 3878 Old 12-06-2003, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Any of you guys with direct tv, the mountaineer basketball team is on HDNET today @ 1 oclock in a tournament in Wash. DC

Gamertag DocterJ:
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page