Cleveland, OH - TWC - Page 127 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3781 of 23471 Old 11-07-2005, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone else notice MNF on WEWS analog channel 5 looking like crap tonight? I noticed it on the TV in the kitchen. The HD presentation looks ok though. The analog PQ looks almost as bad as the college football game me and Inundated were complaining about last week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 23471 Old 11-07-2005, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paule123 View Post

Anyone else notice MNF on WEWS analog channel 5 looking like crap tonight? I noticed it on the TV in the kitchen. The HD presentation looks ok though. The analog PQ looks almost as bad as the college football game me and Inundated were complaining about last week.

Nope...didn't see it, as I was watching the HD version on both the laptop and the upstairs TV, and it looked fine to me.

There would appear to be something wrong with WEWS's satellite receive equipment on the analog side, judging from your experience and what we both saw on that Ohio State game, which was just as bad on the DT stream since it was not in HD.

Just flipped the TV upstairs to analog 5 (Adelphia) and there are no PQ problems with NewsChannel 5. It must just be the analog satellite downlink for ABC and something to do with the games...?
post #3783 of 23471 Old 11-08-2005, 07:12 AM

someone asked me when are we "taking over Adelphia," I'd have a lot of money! Right now TW is in the legal process of acquring the system. At any time the "powers that be" could put the kabosh on it. If everything goes as planned, you should see some announcements come springtime. But this should be nothing new to anyone-- its been in the news. I can't really tell you anymore than this. I wish the process were faster, but there is a lot involved. I'll keep everyone posted as it gets closer. I am just as excited as you are. We have a lot of cool products and services and we constantly keep up to date on our technology and infrastructure.

Tiffany Raines
Marketing Coordinator
Time Warner Cable
Northeast Ohio Division
post #3784 of 23471 Old 11-08-2005, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWC-NEOhio View Post

someone asked me when are we "taking over Adelphia," I'd have a lot of money! Right now TW is in the legal process of acquring the system. At any time the "powers that be" could put the kabosh on it. If everything goes as planned, you should see some announcements come springtime. But this should be nothing new to anyone-- its been in the news. I can't really tell you anymore than this. I wish the process were faster, but there is a lot involved. I'll keep everyone posted as it gets closer. I am just as excited as you are. We have a lot of cool products and services and we constantly keep up to date on our technology and infrastructure.

To my understanding the deal with Comcast and Time Warner absorbing Adelphia is completed. I haven't heard anything about "still in the legal process."

MY NAME IS NOT BILL (but you can call me hook)

post #3785 of 23471 Old 11-08-2005, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWC-NEOhio View Post

put the kabosh on

Isn't that what crazy Joe Davola wanted to put on Jerry??
post #3786 of 23471 Old 11-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I watched the HD MNF and it was fine. The HD channel, when sending SD (4 x 3) during the daytime hours instead of HD is sending some kind of dumb dumb aspect which looks like to me they are using the long horizontal pixels for 16 x 9 to make the 4 x 3 picture bigger to fill the screen. The zoom controls cannot correct the distortion they are sending without making the vertical aspect larger to compensate, therby loosing all of the text and the tops of heads. When you expand a standard 4 x 3 to widescreen using the pixel method it creates much mushy and out of focus garbage. This is the only Cleveland channel that has the SD totally screwed up. The "zoom set by program" doesn't work on this channel and the other 17 zooms I have cannot correct the crap they are sending. At least the other channels the zoom can be set to view a picture that is correct in aspect. The analog channel on WEWS is fine.

JJK
post #3787 of 23471 Old 11-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill View Post

To my understanding the deal with Comcast and Time Warner absorbing Adelphia is completed. I haven't heard anything about "still in the legal process."

Not exactly:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/051028/1184203.html?.v=2

The article indicates that the feds still have to approve the deal. The article is dated October 28th.
post #3788 of 23471 Old 11-08-2005, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm just glad that I'm a Cox guy, at least we have one company that knows what they're doing.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #3789 of 23471 Old 11-08-2005, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like there'll be no ABC HD tonight on WEWS-DT, and perhaps later on other channels. WEWS is running continuous election results graphics, which forces them to run upconverted SD.

So far, WOIO and WJW are in HD for their 8 PM shows with no SD graphics. WKYC's 8 PM show ("The Biggest Loser") is not in HD. WOIO's 9 PM show ("The Amazing Race: Family Edition") is also not in HD, though I worry they'll run their own horrible SD stretched upconvert instead of passing the network through...

WJW should be able to do election graphics in HD, as their control room is equipped for it.
post #3790 of 23471 Old 11-08-2005, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtscherne View Post

The article indicates that the feds still have to approve the deal. The article is dated October 28th.

Indeed, there's a whole lineup of local/state approvals involved as well, which is why the deal is estimated to take until next spring...
post #3791 of 23471 Old 11-08-2005, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post

I'm just glad that I'm a Cox guy, at least we have one company that knows what they're doing.

TWC and Comcast *generally* "know what they're doing", they just can't force regulators and bankruptcy courts to act in a day.
post #3792 of 23471 Old 11-09-2005, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post

I'm a Wide Open West guy, and they know what they're doing, too. IIRC they were the first cable company in NE Ohio to have all the locals in HD from Day One. (including CBS and Fox!) With that said, they're falling behind in adding HD channels now, and the gap is closing with DirecTV adding the new MPEG4 stuff in 2006. Hopefully the D* upgrades will put the heat on the cable companies to be more competitive with their HD offerings.
post #3793 of 23471 Old 11-10-2005, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, just received my Westinghouse 32" yesterday, and it does great with even regular old analog cable. I do plan to pick up on an HD set-top box from Cox within the next week or two. What would most set-top boxes connect into? DVI? Component? HDMI (which Westinghouse doesn't have, but that's what you run into for a 32" that's under $1,000)?

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #3794 of 23471 Old 11-10-2005, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

All the set top boxes have component outs on them. PQ is just fine with component. Cox may have a box with DVI out but then you get into the problem of HDCP (copy protection) handshaking with your TV. In my case, the Scientific Atlanta 8000HD box does not talk to my Panasonic plasma via DVI, I get an error message. So I use the component connection and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Whatever you do, don't pay $100 for Monster cables at Best Buy, either component or DVI. It's overkill.
post #3795 of 23471 Old 11-10-2005, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All the set top boxes have component outs on them. PQ is just fine with component. Cox may have a box with DVI out but then you get into the problem of HDCP (copy protection) handshaking with your TV. In my case, the Scientific Atlanta 8000HD box does not talk to my Panasonic plasma via DVI, I get an error message. So I use the component connection and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Whatever you do, don't pay $100 for Monster cables at Best Buy, either component or DVI. It's overkill.

I agree about the cables. I just purchased some Beldin/Canare custom made componant cables from BlueJeansCable.com at about 1/3 the cost of Monster cables. They are just beautiful hand made custom cables & are the best quality out there. I'd go with those as I think they are the best bang for your buck out there without breaking the bank. Great company to deal with too.

As for DVI, I'd say on a fixed pixel TV, you'd get better PQ with DVI than componant. I can't say if it'll work for you or not, but I just setup my buddy's Sharp LCD & DVI worked just fine with that same SA HD box. With BlueJeansCable, you can return the cable for any reason at all, so you might want to give DVI a try first & then just return it for a componant if it doesn't work.

-Todd
post #3796 of 23471 Old 11-10-2005, 08:30 PM

any updates on when 45 49 will be back to "normal" ?
post #3797 of 23471 Old 11-11-2005, 03:19 PM

I just checked titantv. Looks like WKYC will be broadcasting Sunday Night's Game in SD, while my ESPN-HD will get blacked out!
A perfectly good HD signal on ESPN that I won't be able to see.

HD football for Browns fans really sucks.

First the Buckeyes games get whacked NOW this. I'm not a happy camper.
post #3798 of 23471 Old 11-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

That's the way it always is with local broadcasting of ESPN games. ESPN has the exclusive rights to the the HD signal.
post #3799 of 23471 Old 11-11-2005, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I just got my HD Tuner from Cox today, it's a Scientific Atlanta 3250HD Explorer, and I did attach it via DVI (however, it receives it through a DVI Input using the PC button on my remote, as my Westy 32" recognizes it as). The DVI wasn't that expensive (just under $30 at Wal-Mart for a Philips DVI 6'). This has to be the first time I've ever seen WJW's newscast come in like this. I'm really impressed about the PQ with a DVI input. It's a little easier to hook up than a component, and it may be just as fast to respond. I only have 2 component inputs on my Westy, and I have a DVD Recorder/VCR Combo, and a Philips Home Theater to hook into those, so I needed those free. Other than that, I'm receiving HD without too much hassle. Just takes some learning with this cable box from Cox to get through all of this.

post #3800 of 23471 Old 11-12-2005, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post

I just checked titantv. Looks like WKYC will be broadcasting Sunday Night's Game in SD, while my ESPN-HD will get blacked out!
A perfectly good HD signal on ESPN that I won't be able to see.

HD football for Browns fans really sucks.

First the Buckeyes games get whacked NOW this. I'm not a happy camper.

The last time an ESPN game was broadcast locally was on WEWS in crappy SD. Fortunately my ESPN feed on E* was NOT blacked out.

Don't assume that ESPN is being blacked out (unless your STB has already told you the game is blacked out). In the history of the "new Browns" on Sunday Night football there has never been a time that ESPN was blacked out for me on Dish. Even the SD feed of the satelllite beat out WEWS. I'm happy to see WKYC getting this game. We'll see if they can do a better job than WEWS has done.
post #3801 of 23471 Old 11-12-2005, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

Don't assume that ESPN is being blacked out (unless your STB has already told you the game is blacked out). In the history of the "new Browns" on Sunday Night football there has never been a time that ESPN was blacked out for me on Dish. Even the SD feed of the satelllite beat out WEWS. I'm happy to see WKYC getting this game. We'll see if they can do a better job than WEWS has done.

I just checked zap2it and it shows it listed. It doesn't indicate blackout.

What I don't like about this is Law & Order, Crossing Jordan are going to be shoved back to some unknown time in the morning. How does WKYC think watching Pittsburgh beating the crap out of the Browns is going to increase their ratings? Most people will probably switch by the end of the first half.

post #3802 of 23471 Old 11-12-2005, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Any of the Youngstown stations covering the Steelers game? Maybe there is still hope for HD?

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #3803 of 23471 Old 11-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone waching the Buckeyes on WEWS? I'm new to HD, so someone care to explain why it's not in HD? I'm assuming it's not HD, because MNF looks much better. It's not a bad picture, looks better than on my Dish, just curious.

We don't seem to get any local football in HD, between the Bucks and the Brownies.

Another thing, why does the stupid counter (at the top) have to be on every program that's upconverted SD?

That's annoying too.

Another question, if you dont mind. The EPG on my unit (Accurian HTS 6000) has the incorrect guide for every channel. The programming listed is correct, but the time is 1hr behind on everything.

Is this the unit, or the local stations?
post #3804 of 23471 Old 11-12-2005, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Re: Browns/Steelers - the Browns may stink, but they get ratings, good or bad, and that's why WKYC jumped on it. They'll make a load of money off of it, and get to tweak "The Home of the Browns", WOIO/19, in the process. It's a win-win for them.

The game should be available in HD on ESPNHD. As far as I know, they don't black that out either on satellite or cable.

Re: Buckeyes in HD - it happens, but very rarely. ABC, which has the rights to most of their games, doesn't do many regular season HD college football games. In fact, the only dependable over-air HD games each weekend are usually CBS' Saturday late afternoon SEC matchup, and NBC's Notre Dame package (home games in HD only, I believe). And even the last one is new this year.
post #3805 of 23471 Old 11-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

I don't think anyone said anything about a blackout. Of course, ESPN will have it in HD. The original poster was complaining that WKYC wasn't showing the ESPN high definition feed.
post #3806 of 23471 Old 11-12-2005, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, NBCHD is also on the lineup as well as ESPNHD. So, we'll have to see which one of those are carrying the game. I'll have to run through my EPG from my cable box to see who will be carrying that game.

post #3807 of 23471 Old 11-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

I've been switching between the news on Fox and Old School on ABC. Is it just me, or is Fox's signal much, much better?

I mean Old School looks good, DVD quality probably, but not that great.
post #3808 of 23471 Old 11-13-2005, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I watched some PBS this morning with Niagara Falls, and with their signal, I almost felt like I was back at Fallsview all over again. I know that WVIZ's signal is amongst the best in the HD series. As for FOX, they had some real great reception with the NFL games at least. As for everything else, I really haven't watched too much other than the digital cable channels all day. I'll let you know how the Browns game comes in tonight, which I'll try either NBC or ESPN HD.

post #3809 of 23471 Old 11-13-2005, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtscherne View Post

I don't think anyone said anything about a blackout. Of course, ESPN will have it in HD. The original poster was complaining that WKYC wasn't showing the ESPN high definition feed.

Actually, I don't care WHERE the HD signal comes from, as long as I get it.

A few weeks ago Channel 43 had the exclusive rights to the Buckeyes/Illinois game and the ESPN and ESPNHD channels WERE blacked out. The SD signal on CH43 was horrible. I just don't want to experience that for tonights game.
post #3810 of 23471 Old 11-13-2005, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I saw the game on HD on ESPN through Adelphia. No blackout. Turned it on just in time to see the Steelers take a 10-7 lead.

So relax Cleveland....you got your Browns in HD...at least on my cable system.

I'm going to bed now. I'll find out how bad they got beat tomorrow.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page