Cleveland, OH - TWC - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 23471 Old 12-09-2003, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wonder why the ABC affiliate in Youngstown, channel 36 is not listed on the Antennaweb listing? I've been watching them instead of channel 15(WEWS) because WEWS now stretches/distorts their picture. I guess they believe the average Joe Sixpack prefers to have his screen filled. I'm glad there is an alternative. I've been able to get everything in Youngstown and Cleveland without a problem. I have a roof antenna with a rotor and I'm just Southeast of Akron.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 23471 Old 12-09-2003, 04:07 PM

I had my new Adelphia STB working in time for the game.
It looked fantastic.
After finally getting true HD program playing, and setting my screen size, all of the other SD channels fit in the screen the way they were supposed to.
Still not sure what I had wrong in the beginning but it looked great at 92" wide.

Now they just need to get more channels.

Steve
post #363 of 23471 Old 12-09-2003, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The game looked great last night. I have no complaints. I had Zero audio or video dropouts. It was very nice.

Looks like the only dropouts during the night were by Kelly Holcomb. OH!

In all seriousness, the 2nd half of that game was pretty sweet, even if the Browns did lose.
post #364 of 23471 Old 12-11-2003, 08:23 AM

Making my usual rounds of the channels last night I saw Enterprise (that Star Trek show) on in HDTV! Is this a first for WUAB 43.1? It was not a real clear HD show, but looked good. The Jake 2.0 show after it was HDTV too.

Good job Channel 43.
post #365 of 23471 Old 12-11-2003, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SteveC
I wonder why the ABC affiliate in Youngstown, channel 36 is not listed on the Antennaweb listing? I've been watching them instead of channel 15(WEWS) because WEWS now stretches/distorts their picture. I guess they believe the average Joe Sixpack prefers to have his screen filled. I'm glad there is an alternative. I've been able to get everything in Youngstown and Cleveland without a problem. I have a roof antenna with a rotor and I'm just Southeast of Akron.

Steve

I watch Youngstown more now too. Why is WEWS doing such a stupid thing with the stretching? Why would anyone want all their people to look fat? I can?t stand to watch them anymore. They were a good Digital station before this.
post #366 of 23471 Old 12-11-2003, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Ken,
Was Enterprise and Jake 2.0 actually in HD(16:9, etc) or was it just the 4:3 upconvert of the analog feed? If they are finally able to relay the HD feed it is great news. I did not watch Enterprise last night because it was a repeat. I would have certainly watched it again if I knew it was in HD. I'll check it next week for sure. Thanks for the update.

Steve
post #367 of 23471 Old 12-11-2003, 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SteveC
Ken,
Was Enterprise and Jake 2.0 actually in HD(16:9, etc)
Steve

Yes, 16:9 and HD. Not the Best HD I have seen by far, but that is the people making Enterprise's fault, not WUAB.

I'm going to send them a thank you and start begging for everything else they have to be in HD.
post #368 of 23471 Old 12-11-2003, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Ohio Residents...Anyone interested in getting Chuck Williams for an Ohio ISF tour?
The topic says it all, I was contacted by a fellow Cleveland area resident, and we are both interested in getting Mr. Williams out to calibrate our displays. He is one of the best in the business, and trust me when I say you will not regret having Chuck out, he will sqeeze every bit of potential out of your display(from personal expierence, he made my jaw drop after he tweaked the hell out of my Mitsubishi 2 years ago).

If you are interested, please post here or email me.

Thanks,
Fred

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #369 of 23471 Old 12-12-2003, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am in Cleveland Heights--Sony GWIII. Add me to the list.
post #370 of 23471 Old 12-12-2003, 08:09 AM

I'm interested out here in Medina, Toshiba 65H80.

How much would it cost? Or does it depend on how many people you get?
post #371 of 23471 Old 12-12-2003, 08:27 AM

Could be interested. Loewe 38 inch. Just had it done 3 months ago. How great is this guy.
Akron
post #372 of 23471 Old 12-12-2003, 08:43 AM

I was hoping some of you Comcast HDTV subscribers could help me determine if the time is right. I have been receiving HDTV OTA for over a year now here in Willoughby. I am a Comcast subscriber to analog cable and their high speed internet service. I also subscribe to TiVo and have a Sony standalone PVR.

1. What is the cost to subscribe to Comcast HD? Do you have to upgrade to their digital service? Do you pay to rent the tuner?

2. Are all 7 channels now active?

3. Can I incorporate my TiVo box into this system? I assume that the TiVo box would simply act as a smart channel changer for the HD STB. Do you know if Comcast will have an integrated HDTV/PVR STB any time soon?

4. I've been hearing about dropouts even over cable. Is this true? If so, what the hell? I figured I'd be done with dropouts if I went to cable.
post #373 of 23471 Old 12-12-2003, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by Bizily:

"1. What is the cost to subscribe to Comcast HD? Do you have to upgrade to their digital service? Do you pay to rent the tuner?"

--Yes, you need to have the digital service from what I know. You don't need to pay EXTRA over the normal digital box. The normal digital boxes are 5.99 a month each. So if you have 3 Digital boxes, you could replace all 3 with HDTV boxes for no additional cost (assuming you have 3 HD displays to use them on ) . You get all 7 channels (assuming you already subscribe to HBO and SHO) for no additional cost.

"2. Are all 7 channels now active?"

--Yes, all 7 channels are up and running.

"3. Can I incorporate my TiVo box into this system? I assume that the TiVo box would simply act as a smart channel changer for the HD STB. Do you know if Comcast will have an integrated HDTV/PVR STB any time soon?"

--I can not comment on this question, as I do not yet use TiVo. I have heard that Comcast will be offering a PVR option in early 2004, but I have not seen anything concrete.

"4. I've been hearing about dropouts even over cable. Is this true? If so, what the hell? I figured I'd be done with dropouts if I went to cable."

--I have watched about 15-20 hours of HDTV over Comcast since Dec 1st, and have ONLY experienced dropouts on ESPNHD. I get an audio and video dropout every couple of minutes almost everytime I watch a HD program on ESPN. The other channels have not had this problem. NOTE: I have not watched much ESPN since the other channels came online, so I do not know if it is still happening. It may have only been while they were still testing the area with ESPN only.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Rob
post #374 of 23471 Old 12-12-2003, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Fred DeGrandis
Ohio Residents...Anyone interested in getting Chuck Williams for an Ohio ISF tour?
(snip)
If you are interested, please post here or email me.

Thanks,
Fred

Fred,
Great Idea! My philips is desperate for help! I wonder how much it will cost? I am in as long as the cost is not crazy.

BP

Philips 60PP9601 60" Proj.
Sony KDL46XBR4 46" LCD
Norcent LT-3222 32" LCD
Norcent LT-2090 20" LCD (2)
Direct TV HR20-100 (5)
post #375 of 23471 Old 12-12-2003, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

I think Chuck usually charges in the $500-800 range. All depending what you get done. I had Craig Miller ISF my Mits in June. It was the best money I've ever spent.
post #376 of 23471 Old 12-12-2003, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bizily
... 4. I've been hearing about dropouts even over cable. Is this true? [/b]

The dropouts don't bother me as much as the tearing (rhymes with caring) of the images. This happens when the scene changes a lot, such as when going to and from a commercial.

This is an effect I don't see OTA nor with satellite.

Stan Z
post #377 of 23471 Old 12-12-2003, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.lionav.com/services.html

Here is a good list of the prices for his services and other info.

The last time he was out, I was amazed at the level of improvement that an ISF calibration yielded(There is a HUGE difference between a local place doing an ISF and Chuck doing an ISF calibration...He is the Babe Ruth of tweaking!).

Here are some comments from some other Ohio residents that were on the tour less than 2 years ago:

http://ohioisftour.freewebspace.com/index.html

THis comes along once every year or two, so dont let this pass...You will be amazed at the job this guy does.

Fred

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #378 of 23471 Old 12-12-2003, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Fred DeGrandis
Ohio Residents...Anyone interested in getting Chuck Williams for an Ohio ISF tour?...

I own a plasma set. I've heard about calibrating a projection set, but what do you think about calibrating a plasma? Do you really think it's worth the money? Can anyone personally attest to the benefit of calibrating a plasma TV?
post #379 of 23471 Old 12-12-2003, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I have not seen a calibrated plasma, but from what I have read its incredible. These are questions that I will bring up with Chuck, and will report back to you.

Fred

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #380 of 23471 Old 12-12-2003, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rlockshin
Could be interested. Loewe 38 inch. Just had it done 3 months ago. How great is this guy.
Akron

IMHO, he is the best!

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #381 of 23471 Old 12-12-2003, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Who here thought we would hit 20 pages this quick in this thread???
post #382 of 23471 Old 12-14-2003, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Fred D. I would be interested in an ISF for sure!!! Let me know what comes of this as depending on price, I'd want Mr. Williams to look at my Sony TV. thanks!!

-Todd
post #383 of 23471 Old 12-14-2003, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

On another notes, I added Adelphia HDTV to my system as it saves me $15 for HBO-HD I was paying to Dish Network. The SA box is bare bones but gets the job done. ABC & NBC actually look a bit different than the OTA versions I get through my Dish receiver, but they do look very good (they seem a bit more saturated than OTA) and now I won't have to worry about drop-outs on NBC. Now they need to add CBS to avoid the multi-path problems I have with it. The DVI port however is not functional at this point which is slightly disappointing, but my new Dish 811 will use that anyway so it won't matter.

All in all, 4 channels for about $3 more per month for the box is well worth it considering it saves me the $15 from dish! I'm plus $12 now!!

-Todd
post #384 of 23471 Old 12-14-2003, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jtscherne
I will be angry for quite awhile and I only wish I had a viable alternative so I could cancel Adelphia.

Depending where you are in Cleveland metro area, you do have an alternative now - I just had Wide Open West out yesterday to install the SA 3250HD box (box has Firewire, DVI and USB - not sure if active yet) and they are currently offering ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX, and HBOHD. They say ESPN is coming "in 30 days or so" - the cable guy said they were working out incompatible signal issues or somesuch from the ESPN network feed. He said the HD boxes were flying off the shelves and he had to scramble to get mine for my appointment (which they scheduled 2-6pm and he showed about 3pm).

Check out www.wowway.com - IMHO their digital cable + internet bundles are hard to beat, and the 3 or 4 years I've had them, they are very responsive at not at all the typical "screw the customer" *cough* Adelphia *cough* cable company. Their reviews on dslreports rate them highly, and I plan to switch to them for internet once my one year deal with SBC DSL runs out.

Just curious - I have a friend with Adelphia who wants HD - can you just run over to the Severance office and say "gimme an HD box" or do you need to pre-arrange it? Do they still have the Soviet-style-bread-line customer service there?

-- Paul
post #385 of 23471 Old 12-14-2003, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Unfortunately, my apartment building is only wired for Adelphia at this point, although the WOW representive I talked to once said to check and see whether the apartment owners have an exclusive arrangement with Adelphia; otherwise, they could also install.

I did finally get someone to respond to my issues and so I'm reasonably satisfied, at least for now. One of the things the person told me though (and it's been mentioned here) is that you have to have a technician bring the box out now; they're not allowing pickups at the offices. I guess I was one of the last ones. He also indicated that they were totally overwhelmed by people, which is one of the reasons they ran out of boxes in the first place.

Quote:

Originally posted by paule123

Just curious - I have a friend with Adelphia who wants HD - can you just run over to the Severance office and say "gimme an HD box" or do you need to pre-arrange it? Do they still have the Soviet-style-bread-line customer service there?

-- Paul

post #386 of 23471 Old 12-14-2003, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

-- Paul

There might be a huge demand for the box so I'd call ahead, but in Twinsburg, I didn't make any appointment or have them order an hd-box for me. I literally walked in the door with my digital cable box, said I wanted the HD box, & within a minute or two, I was walking out the door with it.

-Todd
post #387 of 23471 Old 12-15-2003, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Depending where you are in Cleveland metro area, you do have an alternative now - I just had Wide Open West out yesterday to install the SA 3250HD box (box has Firewire, DVI and USB - not sure if active yet) and they are currently offering ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX, and HBOHD. They say ESPN is coming "in 30 days or so" - the cable guy said they were working out incompatible signal issues or somesuch from the ESPN network feed. He said the HD boxes were flying off the shelves and he had to scramble to get mine for my appointment (which they scheduled 2-6pm and he showed about 3pm).

Check out www.wowway.com - IMHO their digital cable + internet bundles are hard to beat, and the 3 or 4 years I've had them, they are very responsive at not at all the typical "screw the customer" *cough* Adelphia *cough* cable company. Their reviews on dslreports rate them highly, and I plan to switch to them for internet once my one year deal with SBC DSL runs out.

-- Paul

Paul,

Can you please provide a review of how the HD PQ is with WOW? I will consider the switch to WOW for the Internet and HD channels if the PQ is good.

Thanks,

Jim
post #388 of 23471 Old 12-15-2003, 03:33 PM

Fred,

I missed Chuck last time due to being out of town. Keep me posted on a new trip.

Steve

Steve
post #389 of 23471 Old 12-15-2003, 04:55 PM

WOIO-DT ???

Yesterday before the game I noticed I could not get WOIO-DT. I figured they just didn't want to run the digital TX for all the info-mercials they have been running this month, Anyway I found the game on 10-1 and it was fine
but I just tried to bring up 19-1 tonight and my set re-maps to 19. Still have to enter 10-1 to get WOIO-DT and to top it off there still running an infomercial!! Whats up with that?

Dan

Intermod
post #390 of 23471 Old 12-16-2003, 06:32 AM

I picked up my STB from Adelphia's Macedonia store (SA 3250HD) yesterday. They told me that NBC, ABC, PBS, HBO, and SHO are available now. I connected the STB to my Hitachi 60V500 and set the resolution at 1080i. I'm using the "stretch" mode in the 3250 even though my Hitachi has a better algorithm because I just don't want to be constantly going through the menus.

I eagerly waited for prime time last night to watch my first HD programs: "Vegas" on NBC at 9:00 and of course... Monday Night Football. Well, suffice it to say that I was not very impressed. In fact, I don't think that I could tell the difference between the channels broadcasting SD and the HD ones (NBC, ABC).

I've read on this forum that the 3250 upconverts SD signals to 1080i but I expected the Monday Night game to be really 'wow'. Sort of the feeling I got when I first got the TV and played "Monster's Inc." in 480p. That was definitely WOW....

Has anyone had similar "less than stellar" performance using Adelphia's HD box? I saw a college football game (demonstration) at Audio Craft in Akron that made me drool. That was about a year and a half ago so I kind of expected MNF to be at least as crisp. (Especially since I have the LCD 60V500! Man, what a set!!)

Is there something I'm not doing right in the setup? Adelphia 'customer support' told me that I did everything right. I wonder if they have to 'switch me over' to HD or something.

It was a real let down last night after talking it up to my wife all day. She didn't even comment on the PQ. Strange....

-Joe

AVSForum: Where more Americans get their home theater info than any other country.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page