Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguitarman View Post

Just found out it happened to a friend with HD Tivo and TWC
Either Fox or WJW messing around....

Now that's interesting! And 8 times is how many it cut out on me as well.

Tonight I'm recording Bones as a manual recording. If it is a FOX issue then if it breaks up with those of you recording through the IPG then it should break up when I record it as well.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this previously but FOX had this same issue around Super Bowl last year.

Also, this is happening to others outside of our area. I saw a post in the thread "SA 8300 and SATA....it works" where someone else had the break up on 24.

So it may very well be FOX.

MY NAME IS NOT BILL (but you can call me hook)

post #4323 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Another 8300 user having issues with Fox. Happened first with OC last week, and now 24 and House. I do recall having a similar issue to this last year as well. Eventually it went away.

The bigger problem I'm having, and I don't know if its related, but if I'm watching a pre-recorded show, and something else starts or stops recording (FOX or another channel), my pre-recorded show stops playback and jumps to the channel of the recording. Anyone else have this problem too? (on other channels other than FOX?)

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #4324 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

Another 8300 user having issues with Fox. Happened first with OC last week, and now 24 and House. I do recall having a similar issue to this last year as well. Eventually it went away.

The bigger problem I'm having, and I don't know if its related, but if I'm watching a pre-recorded show, and something else starts or stops recording (FOX or another channel), my pre-recorded show stops playback and jumps to the channel of the recording. Anyone else have this problem too? (on other channels other than FOX?)

Yep, that's all part of it. Your recorded show stops and switches every time a new recording starts. However to the best of my knowledge this only happens on FOX shows.

Fortunately you do not lose your place in the recording. When you tune to channel 800 the show is right where you left it.

Question is how in the heck do we explain this to Adelphia? I'm sure they will shrug their shoulders and say it's a FOX issue, but how is that causing the 8300 to switch channels?

post #4325 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Just to throw some additional data your way, this is not an issue with WXIX-DT (FOX) in Cincinnati land with TWC and SA8300HD running Passport software.

Bassguitarman,
HD TiVo for use with Cable (TiVo Series 3) is not yet available to the general public if anyone. Are you sure they aren't using a SA8300HD? If your friend is using the SA8300HD from TWC then they also would be running Passport software AND be having problems with WJW-DT.

So,
Adelphia's SA8300HD is having problems recording FOX shows in one segment
Probably TWC's SA8300HD in NEO is having problems recording FOX shows in one segment
TWC's SA8300HD is NOT having problems recording FOX shows in one segment in Cincinnati

Personally, I would start directing my complaints with the above information to WLW-DT.

It's possible that their signal is breaking up or cutting out for some part of an instant which maybe causing the DVR to stop recording and start a new recording with a new segment.

My posts are my own opinions and suggestions and do not represent those of my employer or other staff members.
post #4326 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryfoster View Post

Just to throw some additional data your way, this is not an issue with WXIX-DT (FOX) in Cincinnati land with TWC and SA8300HD running Passport software.

Bassguitarman,
HD TiVo for use with Cable (TiVo Series 3) is not yet available to the general public if anyone. Are you sure they aren't using a SA8300HD? If your friend is using the SA8300HD from TWC then they also would be running Passport software AND be having problems with WJW-DT.

So,
Adelphia's SA8300HD is having problems recording FOX shows in one segment
Probably TWC's SA8300HD in NEO is having problems recording FOX shows in one segment
TWC's SA8300HD is NOT having problems recording FOX shows in one segment in Cincinnati

Personally, I would start directing my complaints with the above information to WLW-DT.

It's possible that their signal is breaking up or cutting out for some part of an instant which maybe causing the DVR to stop recording and start a new recording with a new segment.

I assume that's a typo and you meant WJW-DT.

WJW Engineer often post here but unfortunately he doesn't accept pm's. I don't blame him, he probably would get overwhelmed.

I'm going to send this to my connection at Adelphia, see if she can forward it somewhere along with the link for this thread.

We have to start somewhere. Adelphia may even have a clue.

post #4327 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It has been happening for about a week at my house. I have "2" 8300HD units running in my house (one upstairs and one in the basement) and it has happened on both of them. I've had 24, House and American Idol all break into pieces on me. This is getting very frustrating. I replaced the unit at their Severence location and the problem did not go away. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. What is the next step we should take?

-Dave
Euclid, OH
post #4328 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I just sent the following email to my contact in Adelphia:

Hi Rita,

Once again many of us are experiencing a problem with the SA 8300 recordings. What's going on now is bazaar to say the least.

Apparently this started last week. When recording a show on 708 (WJW-DT FOX) in HD during primetime ONLY, the recording causes the 8300 to first change from whatever your watching to the show it is recording. Easy enough to deal with, you just tune back to the show or recording you were watching.

But then what happens is the recording starts segmenting the show. It will record for 5 minutes then stop and start again. Last night my recording of House was broken into 8 segments, and at the start of each recording the recording I was watching was switched back to the FOX recording.

The same thing has happened on shows throughout the past week, even non high definition shows like Cops. Again this is only on channel 708, WJW FOX.

Please ask someone to take a look at this link and read backwards from there in our AVS forum. People are taking their SA 8300's back and the unit is not the problem. This is happening to many people. As I stated it may not be Adelphia's problem but someone has got to talk to FOX if they are the ones with the problem.

And for what it's worth I'm finding this problem not only locally but in other areas in the country as well too. Which makes it more likely in my opinion to be a FOX issue.

Anyway, kindly have someone take a look.

Thanks again,

And I included name phone number and address.

This person is usually pretty good at getting me answers. We shall see.

post #4329 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill View Post

Yep, that's all part of it. Your recorded show stops and switches every time a new recording starts. However to the best of my knowledge this only happens on FOX shows.

Actually, this is happening with any show on any channel. Last night, my wife was watching Close to Home and Ghost Whisperer from last week. At 9:00, a repeat of Criminal Minds (CBS) (damn repeats - can't this DVR remember these) started recording and interupted her pre-recorded show and again at 10:00 when Law and Order (NBC) began recording. This happens with FOX shows too, but is more annoying because FOX is also chunking the recordings up for some reason.

And while you think it might be no big deal to just retune to 800 and continue watching, its not somethng that my wife understands or wants to understand. This problem only just started last week. Prior to that, everything worked ok.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #4330 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh without a doubt this is a PIA. It needs to be fixed, no question.

Well, as I said earlier I've written to my Adelphia person. It's lunch time now, let's see if she gets back to me by end of day.

post #4331 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
hookbill, and others:

Is this "segmenting" coordinated with commercial breaks, either at the start or stop?

The reason I ask - on my Fusion HDTV5 USB unit, the software locks up when FOX goes into, and out of, commercial breaks. The apparent cause - a switch from 5.1 audio to 2.0 audio, and back again. Or, the other direction.

I had my tuner set to WJW-DT at just before 8 the other day, and the second FOX went into national programming (and 5.1 audio), it locked up. I can go back into the software and watch it with the 5.1 audio active, but for whatever reason, the changeover causes a lockup.

I'm wondering if the 8300 is being thrown by this, perhaps? Let me know if it is around commercial breaks... if that is the case, maybe we have the same problem, and maybe FOX 8 needs to fix that somehow.

The same "lockup" has been reported on local FOX channels in at least some other markets.
post #4332 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

hookbill, and others:

Is this "segmenting" coordinated with commercial breaks, either at the start or stop?

The reason I ask - on my Fusion HDTV5 USB unit, the software locks up when FOX goes into, and out of, commercial breaks. The apparent cause - a switch from 5.1 audio to 2.0 audio, and back again. Or, the other direction.

I had my tuner set to WJW-DT at just before 8 the other day, and the second FOX went into national programming (and 5.1 audio), it locked up. I can go back into the software and watch it with the 5.1 audio active, but for whatever reason, the changeover causes a lockup.

I'm wondering if the 8300 is being thrown by this, perhaps? Let me know if it is around commercial breaks... if that is the case, maybe we have the same problem, and maybe FOX 8 needs to fix that somehow.

The same "lockup" has been reported on local FOX channels in at least some other markets.

I don't think so because the size of the fragments of the show are very odd. For example, 5 min record, the 16 minutes record, then 2 minutes record then 24 minutes. All in all it was 8 pieces to make up one show. That's far too many "breaks" in a regular broadcast.

That still doesn't suggest to me however that it isn't a FOX issue.

post #4333 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:

hookbill, and others:

I looked through my "chunks" and none of them were in the middle of the shows. The breaks all happened during commercials. Interesting...
post #4334 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That still doesn't suggest to me however that it isn't a FOX issue.

So, you are still persuing the avenue of this being a FOX source issue rather than a affiliate issue or are you interchanging FOX for WJW-DT? I would highly doubt that this is a FOX source issue since it isn't affecting ALL markets (no problem in Cinci).

My posts are my own opinions and suggestions and do not represent those of my employer or other staff members.
post #4335 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 10:37 AM

Here's my story -- I set my Dish 942 to tape American Idol on 8-1 (Fox) last night at 8pm. I was out of the house but when I got home at 8:30 I turned on my DVR to start the show from the beginning. The program list showed it not being taped. However, the DVR wouldn't let me change channels w/o putting up a warning that I would lose my active recording if I changed channels now. Even better, the 'schedule' showed American Idol as being taped. Normally, you would see a show that is being actively taped in the schedule and in the recorded program list. I waited until 9:00 and sure enough, no recording of American Idol was made.

For what its worth, two shows I had set to record later last night (one on cable and one on 19-1) both taped successfully.

I suppose this doesn't get us any closer to an answer, but it continues the suspicion of Fox being weird.
post #4336 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:

hookbill, and others:

This is all very interesting, in that heart wrenchingly frustrating, want-to-tear-your-hair-out sort of way! Unfortunately I'm not as lucky as some; my recordings are totally mangled. As opposed to what you're describing hookbill, I don't get the entire program just chunked up. I only get a few chunks (2 or 3) that are just a few minutes long. So about 5 minutes total. And each chunk only seems to record commercials. Now who knows, that might be coincidental but perhaps symptomatic of the 5.1 to 2.0 audio switch suggested above.

I should also say that my 9:30 recording of Scrubs (NBC) was screwed up too -- only 16 minutes long. But it was being recorded simultaneously with House, so that might've caused it.

Finally, one last datum to throw into the mix which may or may not be related -- my OnDemand has been screwed up for about a week now (ever since they took away the accidentally free ones). I get a message with error number 65535 (looks like an unsigned -1 to programmers, for what it's worth).

I've got a tech coming out tomorrow morning regarding my missing digital channels. I'll be sure to bring all this up and direct him to the forum if it hasn't been resolved by then.
post #4337 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 10:56 AM

I have NO idea if this is related or not, but I stumbled on these while googling and found it eerily familiar.

http://www.pvrblog.com/pvr/2005/02/american_idol_b.html
http://www.highdefforum.com/archive/...hp/t-4731.html

I haven't had a chance to read through it all, so again I reiterate, this is puuurrreee speculation that these problem might be connected. Especially since they're from 2005. But they are perhaps indicative of Fox's propensity to screw with their stream headers.
post #4338 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

OK. So it happens for some only during commercials, and others whenever there is a commercial break.

I just was watching Judge Judy recorded yesterday when the DVR started recording Judge Joe Brown and for the first time ever during the day on a non HD program (but on a digitital channel) the 8300 switched to the recorded program.

In the meantime I received a phone call from an engineer from Adelphia. His name was Joe and he was out of the Macedonia office. He thanked me for my letter which had the link to this forum. He said they don't know what the problem is that is causing the issue but he thanked me for the link to this forum. He admitted that the standard response is switch out the box but after reading through the comments in this forum the would have to do further investigation. I explained that I too had my box switched out last week. He said they are going to look into it and he promised a call back to me when he got an answer.

I mentioned to him that I appreciated his call and that we were having a tough time trying to talk to someone at Adelphia about this without getting a standard level 1 CSR response. I explained to him that the folks at this forum are not their "standard" customers and that we did know a thing or two about how cable and HD works. He said he understood and invited me to ask for him at the Macedonia office if I was ever in the area.

This could all be pr, or it could be we may get some genuine results.

ClevelandJax, your links certainly show that this problem is widespread. It may be affecting satellite as well, and Joe noticed that when he looked in the forum.

Time will tell.

post #4339 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 12:32 PM

Like to add a little bit to this problem. We have two 8300s out in Perry and we experienced two separate but similar issues with both of them last evening. First, I tried to record House as normal through the program guide. After the show started, and while I was watching it, (my wife was not, hence recording it), I noticed that it was not recording. I checked the guide and sure enough it was not listed to record. It was when I checked prior to the start of the show. So I then tried to simply record it using the 'record' button. I received the confirmation screen and pressed the 'A' button when asked to, but no luck as it would not record. I tried a couple of other times, but on the third time I was then given the screen notifying me that I had a conflict since I already had two recordings scheduled, the other two times that I tried to force the recording of House. Not only could I never make this work, I could never cancel one of the House 'recordings', though nothing ever actually recorded.

Frustrated, I went to our other 8300. I hit the record button, hit the 'A' button to confirm, and got the red record light. Nothing else was recording, nor were we watching any other programs. Since it appeared to be recording normally, I simply turned off the television. When my wife went to watch it, it was segmented into either 8 or 7 segments, I am not certain. I then obviously knew that something strange was going on with the channel or show.

Just thought I would add my experience.
post #4340 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks gallivanter. Hopefully Joe will come back to this thread and read your comment too.

I had CNN on at 3:30 and it switched to my recording of "Judge Alex" on it's own.
So that makes twice now I've seen it happen during the day. And while the recording is not breaking into segments it is happening at the top of the show.

There was no breaks in the recording of "Judge Joe Brown." I doubt there will be in Judge Alex either since they are SD shows. Inundated's comments about switching from SD to HD are starting to make sense.

I still haven't seen this happen on any other channel the WJW-DT. I'm wondering if it will be more widespread this evening.

post #4341 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I just went through my recording(s) of House last night. Every small recording was commercials. After I deleted these recordings it left me with 42 minutes of show in 3 seperate recordings.

Granted this is not good because every time it stops and starts recording it is switching channels as well....but I have less commercials to ff through now.

Just trying to look on the bright side.

post #4342 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

It almost sounds like Adelphia might have downloaded a new version of the code that runs in the 8300. Has anyone asked(obviously someone who would know) if they have done this? It sounds like the box is acting so differently a code "upgrade" sure could be a possible culprit. Maybe there is something unique in the way WJW does their switching at commercial breaks that is hitting a bug in the 8300 software. Just a thought.
post #4343 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:

I just went through my recording(s) of House last night. Every small recording was commercials. After I deleted these recordings it left me with 42 minutes of show in 3 seperate recordings.

Granted this is not good because every time it stops and starts recording it is switching channels as well....but I have less commercials to ff through now.

Just trying to look on the bright side.

Are you guys recording this in HD? Fox uses a splicing system at the affiliates to allow them to insert programming into the bitstream. It sounds like something in that splicing system is throwing your machines into a snit.
post #4344 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21CHIEF View Post

Are you guys recording this in HD? Fox uses a splicing system at the affiliates to allow them to insert programming into the bitstream. It sounds like something in that splicing system is throwing your machines into a snit.

Could be. Yes, we are recording in HD. Should we call WJW?

I recorded 4 court daytime tv shows. During that time I had my 8300 on either watching a recoding or watching live. All shows were on WJW-DT. On each occasion my viewing channel was switched to the recording show.

There were no break ups on these shows however. They recorded in their entirety.

Makes me wonder if this is a seperate issue.

post #4345 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post

It almost sounds like Adelphia might have downloaded a new version of the code that runs in the 8300.

This seems unlikely since it affects Dish, TWC and Adelphia customers viewing WJW-DT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21CHIEF View Post

Fox uses a splicing system at the affiliates to allow them to insert programming into the bitstream. It sounds like something in that splicing system is throwing your machines into a snit.

From the recent reports of the recordings being segmented at commercial breaks, I would have to agree with this assessment.

I doubt its a bug in the SARA & Passport firmwares AND the Dish software. Chances are the DVRs see it as a break in the digital stream and then stops recording. Once it sees the digital stream has been restored it starts recording again. This is one drawback I have found with these non-TiVo DVRs as the TiVo will have one "segment" even if there is a break in the signal.

To attempt to get clearer explanations of who, what and where, I think it would be best to respond again using the following format so that it can be easily compiled and submitted to WJW-DT.

STB: SA8300HD
Firmware: Passport
TV Service Provider: TWC Cincinnati
Station: WXIX-DT
Are you experiencing segmenting problems when watching prime time HD programming? NO
What approximate date did this problem start occurring?
If you are experiencing segmenting problems during prime time HD programming, does it occur on the channel breaks?
If it is not occurring on the channel breaks please explain further:

I think its important to focus on one problem at a time. Its entirely possible that there is one root problem that presents it's self as several problems. If their engineers have a clear explanation of how the one problem is manifesting it's self, then they may have a good chance of solving the problem.

post #4346 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

At least SOME of this has to be with the 5.1/2.0/5.1 shift. Something in the switch causes these problems...hookbill getting commercial-only recordings would seem to prove it. FOX 8 is sending out something that is affecting not only the 8300, but my F5USB card.

(For what it's worth, I've also had the problem with OTA reception of WJW-DT on the F5USB. It is not an Adelphia problem per se, aside from however the 8300 reacts to it.)

hookbill - can you set up your 8300 to record FOX 8 News? Record a half hour or an hour or something, enough at least to get commercials. Since WJW-DT doesn't do 5.1 for its HD newscasts, I'm betting you'll have no problem...but I wanted to eliminate another data point.
post #4347 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This seems unlikely since it affects Dish, TWC and Adelphia customers viewing WJW-DT.

And as noted, it affects the Fusion5HDTV USB tuner, both OTA, and via QAM. (PDQ!) I haven't actually recorded anything off WJW-DT in HD using the tuner, but I know the result already, since the software itself freezes at these points and any recording would end because of that.

Quote:

I doubt its a bug in the SARA & Passport firmwares AND the Dish software. Chances are the DVRs see it as a break in the digital stream and then stops recording. Once it sees the digital stream has been restored it starts recording again. This is one drawback I have found with these non-TiVo DVRs as the TiVo will have one "segment" even if there is a break in the signal.

The Fusion software apparently sees it as a break in the signal as well.

As for your questionnaire:

Code:
STB: Fusion HDTV5USB Gold
Firmware: Fusion tuner software
TV Service Provider: OTA, and Adelphia cable QAM (direct)
Station: WJW-DT
Are you experiencing segmenting problems when watching prime time HD programming? YES
What approximate date did this problem start occurring? Don't remember, probably as long as I've had the Fusion (a few months)
If you are experiencing segmenting problems during prime time HD programming, does it occur on the channel breaks? Yes
If it is not occurring on the channel breaks please explain further:
post #4348 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:

Could be. Yes, we are recording in HD. Should we call WJW?

I recorded 4 court daytime tv shows. During that time I had my 8300 on either watching a recoding or watching live. All shows were on WJW-DT. On each occasion my viewing channel was switched to the recording show.

There were no break ups on these shows however. They recorded in their entirety.

Makes me wonder if this is a seperate issue.

Again, I'm not an expert at how Fox does this being NBC, however, when they run local shows their splicer probably sits on the upconverted input and doesn't do anything. During Fox network it would "splice in" the local station breaks to the network feed. You might be able to see a pattern you could pass on to WJW.
post #4349 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hookbill - can you set up your 8300 to record FOX 8 News? Record a half hour or an hour or something, enough at least to get commercials. Since WJW-DT doesn't do 5.1 for its HD newscasts, I'm betting you'll have no problem...but I wanted to eliminate another data point.

I'll set it up to record the 5:00 to 6:00 news. I'll let you know the results.

post #4350 of 23464 Old 02-08-2006, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

STB: SA8300HD
Firmware: SARA
TV Service Provider: ADELPHIA CLEVELAND SUBURB AREA
Station: WJW-DT
Are you experiencing segmenting problems when watching prime time HD programming? YES
Started occuring Saturday, February 4 at 8:00 p.m.
It seems to be occuring during channel breaks.
With each break it is causing the STB to switch to the recorded channel.

This is what I will send. Now if someone wants to tell me where to send it to, please do.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page