AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

Don't you mean "new" Cuyahoga Falls?

Actually, no...I'm in one of those little patches of land Akron annexed before the Falls went after the rest of Northampton Township...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

Are you in the valley or on fairly high ground? I can get WFMJ occasionally here in SE Parma using a Silver Sensor NOT aimed out a window. I can't wait for Spring, I have to put ou an outdoor antenna aimed at Y'Town. I'm hoping to get Y'town stations on a daily basis (I do get the analog WFMJ daily).

My problem isn't being low (I'm not in the Valley, I'm above it), but the fact I have basically no clearance to the east/southeast. There are also too many trees, though I do get the Parma antenna farm stations going through clearing in some trees. I don't get any analog Youngstown reception here, either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 23471 Old 02-21-2006, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI - WOAC-DT appears to be running less power than yesterday.
post #4593 of 23471 Old 02-21-2006, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Me again!

As promised, Adelphia has added HD channel 798, named "HDBON", which will carry the Cavaliers' game on Wednesday night. The channel shows "HD Promo" the rest of the time, but the game and the 6:30 pregame is in the guide data.

It also shows up on my Fusion HDTV tuner, correctly numbered 798 and with the HDBON channel name. I got there by tuning to 88.1 first, and it kicked me there. Neither the Fusion or the SA 8000HD have any video or audio at this time...not surprising, due to what I'd posted earlier about the nature of the "occasional feed" for the games...
post #4594 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night I watched Boston Legal on WEWS-DT using the direct cable connection to my set while recording 2 other shows on my Adelphia SA8300HD. My wife and I noticed that the sound was out-of-sync with the video. I've heard of this happening before, but have never really experienced it before. I tuned to some other local channels and didn't see the out-of-sync audio. Did anyone else notice it? We watched Desperate Housewives the other night (through the 8300) and didn't notice it then...?!!
post #4595 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rj View Post

...the sound was out-of-sync with the video. Did anyone else notice it?

It drove me up a wall!

Jack

post #4596 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rj View Post

Last night I watched Boston Legal on WEWS-DT using the direct cable connection to my set while recording 2 other shows on my Adelphia SA8300HD. My wife and I noticed that the sound was out-of-sync with the video. I've heard of this happening before, but have never really experienced it before. I tuned to some other local channels and didn't see the out-of-sync audio. Did anyone else notice it? We watched Desperate Housewives the other night (through the 8300) and didn't notice it then...?!!

Now this is really strange! I recorded DH on the 8300 and after reading your post took a look at it. Audio is out of synch there too.

This problem generally happens on HD broadcasts, specially lately with WEWS. But since you were watching it straight off your cable without the box interfacing that means you had to be watching the analog broadcast. To the best of my knowledge I've never seen a live analog broadcast with audio out of synch.

I think it would be a good idea for us to start calling WEWS and complaining about this. No doubt if it was analog they had to have had a flood of complaints last night.

Rijax, how were you watching it last night? Was it analog or digital or HD digital?

MY NAME IS NOT BILL (but you can call me hook)

post #4597 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
If you view (OTA) the Analog channel at the same time you are viewing the Digital channel (same program OTA with two tv's) you will see a delay in the video and the sound on the digital channel every time. It is no surprise to me that they get this all fouled up by pushing the wrong buttons.

JJK
post #4598 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post

If you view (OTA) the Analog channel at the same time you are viewing the Digital channel (same program OTA with two tv's) you will see a delay in the video and the sound on the digital channel every time. It is no surprise to me that they get this all fouled up by pushing the wrong buttons.

JJK

I can understand that if I was working the controls since I don't know what the hell I'm doing. But supposedly they hire people with knowledge of how these things work, like WJW Engineer.

And I do see your point about the audio being off on the analog and digital. All you have to do is walk around my house where there is always two tv's on to see that. But it still doesn't explain the analog picture and video being out of synch.

post #4599 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill View Post

Rijax, how were you watching it last night? Was it analog or digital or HD digital?

HD Digital via Cox Cable. I should've gone over to the analog SD broadcast to see if the problem was there as well, but NO! I, for some inexplicable reason, chose to sit there and suffer. I gather I was stuck in my "DAMMIT! I want my hi def" mode. DUH!

Jack

post #4600 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijax View Post

HD Digital via Cox Cable. I should've gone over to the analog SD broadcast to see if the problem was there as well, but NO! I, for some inexplicable reason, chose to sit there and suffer. I gather I was stuck in my "DAMMIT! I want my hi def" mode. DUH!

Well this is interesting. We know it was messed up live hd, and analog on two different cable companies. I can also confirm that I have previewed another copy of this broadcast obtained let's just say, elsewhere, and it was not out of synch. So I think we can start pointing the finger at WEWS.

Oh, and I know exactly what you mean by the "stuck in HD mode." Almost got stuck there myself today before I thought of a solution.

post #4601 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 08:08 AM

I was watching WEWS OTA HD last night an the audio was off by at least second and maybe more. I reverted to analog where there was not a problem
post #4602 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Now this is really strange! I recorded DH on the 8300 and after reading your post took a look at it. Audio is out of synch there too.

This problem generally happens on HD broadcasts, specially lately with WEWS. But since you were watching it straight off your cable without the box interfacing that means you had to be watching the analog broadcast. To the best of my knowledge I've never seen a live analog broadcast with audio out of synch.

It is entirely possible that k2rj was watching the digital broadcast of Boston Legal with the cable connected directly to the HDTV via QAM capable tuner. The report from rrobbins would lead me to believe the analog was correct while other reports say the digital signal is out of sync.

Important question...
Has WEWS started broadcasting in 5.1 recently? From reports, I have read, this problem has only been happening for the past several weeks (read as: this is a new problem). The ABC affiliate in Cinci had audio sync problems due to their HDTV encoder and their DD encoder combination. WCPO-DT recently (Jan 06) installed a new HDTV encoder to solve this sync issue, but have not yet engaged their 5.1 encoder since they discovered the problem (Nov 05) to see if they have fixed it yet.

My posts are my own opinions and suggestions and do not represent those of my employer or other staff members.
post #4603 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Now this is really strange! ...But since you were watching it straight off your cable without the box interfacing that means you had to be watching the analog broadcast.

I was watching it straight off the cable, but in HD, not analog. (My HDTV has an ATSC digital tuner.)

Very strange about your recording of DH... I can't say I was looking for out-of-sync audio when we were watching it, but I definately believe I (or my wife) would have noticed it. This was Monday's DH we were watching, not Sunday's (which I believe is its normal day.)
post #4604 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijax View Post

It drove me up a wall!

I recorded it last night and noticed the same thing! I thought my SageTV install was acting up.
post #4605 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 10:14 AM

Long time, no see. How's everyone.

CAV'S GAME IN HD. ADELPHIA CHANNEL 798 . As I understand, this not a 24 hr channel but certain events. Here's the schedule so far

Day Date Opponent Begins

Wednesday Feb. 22 @ Philadelphia 76ers 6:30 PM

Friday Feb. 24 Washington Wizards 7:00 PM

Monday Feb. 27 Detroit Pistons 6:30 PM

Tuesday Mar. 07 Toronto Raptors 6:30 PM

Wednesday Mar. 29 Dallas Mavericks 6:30 PM

Sunday Apr. 02 @ Charlotte Bobcats 5:30 PM

Tuesday Apr. 04 Philadelphia 76ers 6:30 PM

Monday Apr. 10 @ New Orleans Hornets 7:30 PM
post #4606 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
WEWS has been out of sync more often than not. I have been watching the OTA Digital signal for over a year now. I suffered through their experiments with 15 X 9 stretch aspect ratio on SD programming.

What I'm saying is the out of sync problem is not new. Their audio sync problems date back to nearly the beginning of my experience receiveing OTA digital broadcasts (although WEAO had the worst case of audio sync problems back in Dec '04).
I would not get my hopes up about WEWS getting 5.1 equipment or blaming that equipment for the audio sync problem. If it was the 5.1 equipment causing the sync problems then WEWS must have had 5.1 from the beginning.
post #4607 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

i have never seen 5.1 out of sync, but I will admit that my watching of them is limited to MNF and other sports.

so who knows???
post #4608 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

on another note, how do the cavs look?
post #4609 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Pre-game was SD. The picture quality looks good (Reghi's makeup looks very thick!)
post #4610 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

The HD picture look somewhat soft on WOW, at least on my CRT pj, but then again so do the Cavs. Wow, they look tired and slow. Backcourt is O-fer for the night.

"We're all bozos on this bus" - F.T.

post #4611 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm. Cavs in HD on Adelphia 798. I think I've heard that somewhere before.
post #4612 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Other news from elsewhere: Cleveland is officially on the "upcoming list" for DirecTV's HD "Local into Local" service, one of 24 markets set to get the HD locals "starting in April":

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...72#post7182772
post #4613 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_b View Post

The HD picture look somewhat soft on WOW, at least on my CRT pj, but then again so do the Cavs. Wow, they look tired and slow. Backcourt is O-fer for the night.

Hey Ted, so channel 220 was up on WOW tonight for the Cavs HD? I got home too late to check, and I don't see channel 220 in my on screen program guide...
post #4614 of 23471 Old 02-22-2006, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule123 View Post

Hey Ted, so channel 220 was up on WOW tonight for the Cavs HD? I got home too late to check, and I don't see channel 220 in my on screen program guide...

Yep, it came up as FSN Ohio on Channel 220. It was a decent picture, just a bit soft, especially on the full court shots. Nothing too bad, though. The game sucked, however. Then I went into my home office in the next room to do some emails, etc. When the broadcast finished that Rainbow screen came up and WOW, the bass and volume blasted like crazy, with a repetitive tape loop thing going on. It was clearly 10-20 db louder than the game.

post #4615 of 23471 Old 02-23-2006, 05:49 AM

Did anyone else notice an abundance of bass during the Cavs game? The normal thumps and music in an NBA arena were really pumping through my sub. I had no other problems on any other programming, but almost turned down my sub manually during the Cavs game. I'm on Adelphia.
post #4616 of 23471 Old 02-23-2006, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it was rather boomy, and carried a lot of spurious bass....like during oncourt timeout analysis, I could hear my subs rumbling, but not sure to what. Then, as I mentioned, when the Rainbow screen came on, look out.

post #4617 of 23471 Old 02-23-2006, 06:41 AM

I also noticed the heavy bass but I was impressed with the live court sounds, tennis shoe squeaks, rim noise, etc. I am on Adelphia and assuming it was a 5.1 track but the bass was way overdriven. How and why would you do that? I'm trying to think of what the audio engineer had to have done to create this problem. Were they putting in a bass heavy EQ to make the announcers heavier? Puzzling.
post #4618 of 23471 Old 02-23-2006, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

My Fusion tuner showed the Cavs game with 5.1. I don't have a HT setup, so I didn't hear it directly.
post #4619 of 23471 Old 02-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

The Indians announced that the new network will show all home games in HD.

SportsTime Ohio News Release
post #4620 of 23471 Old 02-23-2006, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtscherne View Post

The Indians announced that the new network will show all home games in HD.

SportsTime Ohio News Release

Fox 8 News at something on this but unfortunately I didn't get to see it.

But it looks pretty positive that most of us will get it by opening day. 10% won't? Hmmm...I'd bet that's going to be either Dish or Direct or both.

By the way guys....It's good to be back I spent the night in the hospital last night. Amongst all the other tortures I had to put up with a 19" tv screen, analog cable, and my sound system consisted of a little speaker attached to a remote control that was probably made around 1950.

Anyway, everything turned out fine and I got released today. They were concerened I might have had a heart problem but turns out OK.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page