Cleveland, OH - TWC - Page 238 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7111 of 23471 Old 12-03-2006, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using a DirecTiVo HD HR10-250 and a Sony ES Receiver. I am getting all the other digital feeds okay.

-------

Ty
[Loving DirecTV in HD!]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7112 of 23471 Old 12-03-2006, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
OK, hookbill. Are you sitting down?

Yes, I finally have a *real* HDTV set in the living room.

OK, so I snuck in the back door via a $699 32" Westinghouse LCD model, but it's a real one!

The above from my recording of today's Browns/Chiefs game on the SA8000HD...and boy, am I already getting picky about macroblocking on football games!!!
post #7113 of 23471 Old 12-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

OK, hookbill. Are you sitting down?

Yes, I finally have a *real* HDTV set in the living room.

OK, so I snuck in the back door via a $699 32" Westinghouse LCD model, but it's a real one!
The above from my recording of today's Browns/Chiefs game on the SA8000HD...and boy, am I already getting picky about macroblocking on football games!!!

It's about time you finally caved !!

Welcome to *real* HDTV. The new Westy looks great.

"HDTV makes today a great time to be alive"
post #7114 of 23471 Old 12-03-2006, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK, glad to see it. Now how are you going to record your HD shows? Might I recommend the TiVo S3? I think today is the last day that you can pick one up from the TiVo Forum show with 150.00 instant rebate.

Nice price on the set.

You were watching HD on your LCD computer screen, correct?

And look you brought The Browns good luck! That's the best game they played all year. And now we get to have a QuarterBack controversy!

MY NAME IS NOT BILL (but you can call me hook)

post #7115 of 23471 Old 12-03-2006, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm considering an S3, actually. I'm not sure I want to spend more on it than I spent on this set (!!), but I'm running into the SA8000HD's limitations rather quickly.

I'm actually thinking of swapping out for an 8300, and if I'm not happy with that, down the road...you know? Hey, it took me this long.

Doesn't the 8300 have PQ improvements over the 8000? Again, it's no TiVo S3 (believe me, you don't have to sell me on a TiVo vs. a cable DVR), but it wouldn't cost me $800 or whatever discount I could get on the S3. Not getting it today - my credit card is already screaming.

I was indeed watching HDTV on my PC with the Fusion5USB. I can still do that downstairs, if I so desire. But I've been using that on the go more than not.
post #7116 of 23471 Old 12-03-2006, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm considering an S3, actually. I'm not sure I want to spend more on it than I spent on this set (!!), but I'm running into the SA8000HD's limitations rather quickly.

I'm actually thinking of swapping out for an 8300, and if I'm not happy with that, down the road...you know? Hey, it took me this long.

Doesn't the 8300 have PQ improvements over the 8000? Again, it's no TiVo S3 (believe me, you don't have to sell me on a TiVo vs. a cable DVR), but it wouldn't cost me $800 or whatever discount I could get on the S3. Not getting it today - my credit card is already screaming.

I was indeed watching HDTV on my PC with the Fusion5USB. I can still do that downstairs, if I so desire. But I've been using that on the go more than not.

In all honesty I didn't see any improvement pq wise between the 8000 and the 8300. The part that really gets me as far as pq goes is how bad some of the analog stations came in.

Now here's where the S3 really steps up to the plate. PQ on analog IMHO is actually better then on the digital channels (HD excluded). Channels like FX and USA which really came in ugly on both the SA units are so much clearer and crisp.

But do it your way. Actually the S3 cost the same as my HDTV, but my TV is 2 years old now.

post #7117 of 23471 Old 12-03-2006, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You should definitely swap for the SA8300HD, it won't cost you anything and you'll get a better box. Off the top of my head, improvements are HDMI and quicker channel changes. The disk also seems to run a lot quieter. I could always hear the SA8000HD churning away in the living room.

The archive search function here is pretty bad, so I can't find the exact post, but yes, the SA8300HD provides more visible resolution than the SA8000HD. Something about a better ATI video chipset and/or video drivers. Like hook says, I can't really see that difference, but I've never hooked up a true 1080p set to it to tell the difference. Usually got a 1024x768 plasma hooked up to it.
post #7118 of 23471 Old 12-03-2006, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill View Post

But do it your way. Actually the S3 cost the same as my HDTV, but my TV is 2 years old now.

Well, I'll "do it your way" if you promise to pay for my S3. Remember how long it took me to get to this point!

I asked about the PQ improvement between the 8000 and 8300 because I thought I'd seen somewhere (even from you) that there was. I suppose that means nothing compared to the S3, tho.

Again, I don't need to be sold on it. But we're talking no cost but the hassle of swapping boxes for the 8000 vs. 8300, vs. the cost of the S3. I'll probably eventually end up getting it, though I worry that TWC could switch on SDV - which would make those cable cards useless for the channels that do SDV.
post #7119 of 23471 Old 12-03-2006, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I admit I did say that I thought the pq was better on the 8300 then the 8000. I ran mine on 480p and I thought there was some improvement. Now I'm not so sure.

Funny how when you get something like the S3 your mind becomes a bit clouded on those issues.

post #7120 of 23471 Old 12-03-2006, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule123 View Post

You should definitely swap for the SA8300HD, it won't cost you anything and you'll get a better box. Off the top of my head, improvements are HDMI and quicker channel changes. The disk also seems to run a lot quieter. I could always hear the SA8000HD churning away in the living room.

Ah, I discovered the HDMI problem when I looked behind my SA8000HD tonight and tried to hook up the new set to the HDMI input. Only DVI.

I'd go get a DVI to HDMI adapter, but I don't know if that'll work...and if I swap out for an 8300, I'd be wasting money buying it anyway...

This thing does look good over component, tho. But I can tell that the OTA ATSC picture for WJW FOX 8 is better than the one coming out of the 8000. I don't know if that's any compression TWC is doing, or if the 8300 would look better because of better resolution vs. the 8000, or want.

What I *really* want is the TiVo S3, but see above.
post #7121 of 23471 Old 12-03-2006, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I admit I did say that I thought the pq was better on the 8300 then the 8000. I ran mine on 480p and I thought there was some improvement. Now I'm not so sure.

Funny how when you get something like the S3 your mind becomes a bit clouded on those issues.

Umm, hookbill? Holidays are here. Give your favorite board poster the gift of an S3. I'll even pick up the TiVo service fees!

Seriously, though...the swap out for an 8300 is the Path of Least Resistance, if I can get them to just let me bring in the 8000 and swap for a new one. It costs me no more than the 8000 does, and if there's even a slight improvement in PQ, so much the better.

And maybe when the S3 drops closer to the under $500 range...I can justify it to my budget...
post #7122 of 23471 Old 12-04-2006, 03:09 AM

Also, glad to report that D*'s mpeg 4 feed of 19.1 was encoded properly yesterday. No more fake (pre-recorded) looking football games !!!!!
post #7123 of 23471 Old 12-04-2006, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Umm, hookbill? Holidays are here. Give your favorite board poster the gift of an S3. I'll even pick up the TiVo service fees!

Although I would truly love for you to experience the S3 enough to want to purchase one for you, I have this thing about not wanting to die. And truly death would be what would happen to me the moment my wife found out I did something like that. So trust me, it's not that I don't have giving spirit. It's my desire to breathe in and out that prevents me from doing that.

I'll tell you what. After you get your 8300 set up and check it all out I'll invite you to my house to look at the S3. Then when you leave Circuit City is right close by and you can pick one up on the way home (if they have them in stock).

post #7124 of 23471 Old 12-04-2006, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule123 View Post

The archive search function here is pretty bad, so I can't find the exact post, but yes, the SA8300HD provides more visible resolution than the SA8000HD. Something about a better ATI video chipset and/or video drivers. Like hook says, I can't really see that difference, but I've never hooked up a true 1080p set to it to tell the difference. Usually got a 1024x768 plasma hooked up to it.

I'll second that. Once I got my SA8300-to-Panasonic 44" RPLCD video interface configured properly, my SD picture quality is excellent. In fact, the other nite we wound up watching a movie the wife recorded from LMN which was in letterbox format. I expanded it to fill the screen and was amazed with the quality. With my set, I wound up configuring the output of the 8300 to 720p to match the native resolution of the Panny (I'm using component video).

Some differences I found between the 8000 and 8300:
- The PIP is higher resolution
- Channel change is much faster
- Digital audio output is available from all channels, not just the digital ones.
- Has optical digital audio out in addition to RCA jack PCM audio.
- Has a much larger hard drive.
post #7125 of 23471 Old 12-04-2006, 06:13 AM

Quote:

Especially when you spend all that money!!!!
post #7126 of 23471 Old 12-04-2006, 06:33 AM

Slightly off-topic, but a peeve/observation.

I am amazed at HOW MANY people, even with a decent analog TV, have satellite or digital cable, plus a DVD, plus a VCR and have NO IDEA that they can connect ALL THREE of the components through something other than the RF input on their TV and get a better quality picture in the process. And not have such a complicated setup.

I was at a friend's house the other night, and he had his DISH box running into the VCR, and the VCR into the TV through the RF input, with his DVD on an RF modulator AND A SWITCHER for the RF input.

The guy had two s-video outputs w/ audio inputs on his damn TV!!! And another set of A/V inputs w/composite video. With a few cables he still had in the closet that came with all the components, I showed him how to hook them in and use the three "auxillary" channels to run everything and get a noticeably clearer picture. Esp. since it appears his TV's internal tuner isn't that great anyway. He actually exclaimed "holy sh*t" when I had his DISH box turned on and first hooked up the S-video, switching the TV from Channel 2 or 3 where the RF input was going to the S-video input.
post #7127 of 23471 Old 12-04-2006, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rj View Post

Especially when you spend all that money!!!!

That money I spent was wll spent. I thought I saw a difference between the 8000 and 8300. With the S3 it is very clear that there is a major difference in pq, now I wouldn't say that HD pq appears too much different but analog is so much better it's incredible.

Having said that how the S3 handles HD is far superior. Very few sound drop offs. Picture is consistantly great, and that's the THX technology. It was worth every penny I spent on it.

post #7128 of 23471 Old 12-04-2006, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akron05 View Post

Slightly off-topic, but a peeve/observation.

I am amazed at HOW MANY people, even with a decent analog TV, have satellite or digital cable, plus a DVD, plus a VCR and have NO IDEA that they can connect ALL THREE of the components through something other than the RF input on their TV and get a better quality picture in the process. And not have such a complicated setup.

I was at a friend's house the other night, and he had his DISH box running into the VCR, and the VCR into the TV through the RF input, with his DVD on an RF modulator AND A SWITCHER for the RF input.

The guy had two s-video outputs w/ audio inputs on his damn TV!!! And another set of A/V inputs w/composite video. With a few cables he still had in the closet that came with all the components, I showed him how to hook them in and use the three "auxillary" channels to run everything and get a noticeably clearer picture. Esp. since it appears his TV's internal tuner isn't that great anyway. He actually exclaimed "holy sh*t" when I had his DISH box turned on and first hooked up the S-video, switching the TV from Channel 2 or 3 where the RF input was going to the S-video input.

To add to my comment, I wonder how many people complaining about either digital cable or satellite picture quality would see it improved if they went with the S-video instead of RF.
post #7129 of 23471 Old 12-04-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:

That money I spent was wll spent. I thought I saw a difference between the 8000 and 8300. With the S3 it is very clear that there is a major difference in pq, now I wouldn't say that HD pq appears too much different but analog is so much better it's incredible.

Having said that how the S3 handles HD is far superior. Very few sound drop offs. Picture is consistantly great, and that's the THX technology. It was worth every penny I spent on it.

I was just jerking your chain!

Analog and/or SD digital rendering is definately the achilles heel of most sets/systems. Like I mentioned above, I saw a vast improvement when I froze the output of the 8300 at 720p.

As far as sound goes, I can't remember the last time I experienced an audio drop-out (that wasn't accompanied by a picture drop-out or pixelation). I use the optical output of the 8300 to my receiver which powers my Bose system. I wonder how many of your 8300 problems were really related to using the external hard drive? I know you had loads of problems with it and its possible a buggy driver was causing other systems problems as well...

But I'm glad the S3 is working better for you (and the wife acceptance factor has gone up since she got her contacts!) ... Sounds like a good system!
post #7130 of 23471 Old 12-04-2006, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rj View Post

I was just jerking your chain!

Analog and/or SD digital rendering is definately the achilles heel of most sets/systems. Like I mentioned above, I saw a vast improvement when I froze the output of the 8300 at 720p.

As far as sound goes, I can't remember the last time I experienced an audio drop-out (that wasn't accompanied by a picture drop-out or pixelation). I use the optical output of the 8300 to my receiver which powers my Bose system. I wonder how many of your 8300 problems were really related to using the external hard drive? I know you had loads of problems with it and its possible a buggy driver was causing other systems problems as well...

But I'm glad the S3 is working better for you (and the wife acceptance factor has gone up since she got her contacts!) ... Sounds like a good system!

Hey, no problem here. My experience with the 8300 was not the same as most people. Which is why I like the S3 so much now.

post #7131 of 23471 Old 12-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

To add to my comment, I wonder how many people complaining about either digital cable or satellite picture quality would see it improved if they went with the S-video instead of RF.

Depends on the quality of the TV. For most high-end TV's, I've found the picture quality of digital cable and satellite to be worse with higher-quality connections. The quality of the set actually amplifies the imperfections of the compressed signal.

It's kind of like being able to see the wrinkles around the eys of your favorite actress when watching her in HD. She's almost prettier when there are things left to the imagination.
post #7132 of 23471 Old 12-04-2006, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZManCartFan View Post

Depends on the quality of the TV. For most high-end TV's, I've found the picture quality of digital cable and satellite to be worse with higher-quality connections. The quality of the set actually amplifies the imperfections of the compressed signal.

It's kind of like being able to see the wrinkles around the eys of your favorite actress when watching her in HD. She's almost prettier when there are things left to the imagination.

All true. Said example is a 32" JVC SDTV.
post #7133 of 23471 Old 12-04-2006, 02:36 PM

OK another techie question:

We're splitting a RG6 cable carrying OTA HDTV signals from the antenna. It's split into three over a cable run of 65 feet prior to the split and 30 feet after.

How much amplifier do I need to bring the signal strength back to the "original" before the splits and long cable run?
post #7134 of 23471 Old 12-04-2006, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

We're splitting a RG6 cable carrying OTA HDTV signals from the antenna. It's split into three over a cable run of 65 feet prior to the split and 30 feet after.

How much amplifier do I need to bring the signal strength back to the "original" before the splits and long cable run?

Don't even think about amplifiers until you try it without amps. You may need an amp, however see what you get without an amp. An overamplified HD signal may cause dropouts or no reception at all.
post #7135 of 23471 Old 12-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Mechanical splitters typically loose about 3 db of signal at UHF frequencies. They also tend to screw up the impeadence. What you should aim for is the biggest, baddest attenna (rotatable 30 ft parabolic) with 5/8"Styroflex" lead-in and connectors and electronic splitters and a 20 db pad to knock down the VSWR. But what I just described will cost more than your house. If you throw in a parametric front end it will cost two houses. Oh well,
such is life in the high tech world.

JJK
post #7136 of 23471 Old 12-04-2006, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevemkt View Post

Sorry guys, I'm sure it's WNEO. That's what is listed in Zap2it.com and also you can look here at the Time Warner lineup for our area. Also handsworth, who is always right told us that it would be WNEO and also Universal Channel but he did not say when.

When PBS 45 & 49 begin HD again, TWC will be using WEAO...believe me. (Despite what their marketing folks think)

Right this minute, I can recieve the digital signals of:

WKYC
WEWS
WJW
WOIO
WDLI
WEAO
WUAB
WOAC
WQHS

CANNOT get WVIZ no matter what I do. Also can't get a lock on any of the Youngstown DT stations, probably because a large stand of pine trees is right in the path of the antenna.
post #7137 of 23471 Old 12-05-2006, 05:54 AM

Quote:

Assuming you are not real close to any FM or land-mobile towers, the amplifier at the antenna should have about 10 dB more gain than the losses in the cables/splitters. A 3-way split will be about 5 dB and I'd say about 8-10 dB for the RG-6 to be on the conservative side, so you'd want an amp having about 20-25 dB gain.
post #7138 of 23471 Old 12-05-2006, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Will FOX show the Browns vs Steelers game Thursday night in HD or will it just be a down converted SD version of the game? I'm deciding if I want to go to a friends house with DISH network or stay home and watch TWC in my PJs on HDFOX.

Ray
post #7139 of 23471 Old 12-05-2006, 06:09 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbuchina View Post

Will FOX show the Browns vs Steelers game Thursday night in HD or will it just be a down converted SD version of the game? I'm deciding if I want to go to a friends house with DISH network or stay home and watch TWC in my PJs on HDFOX.

Ray

Guide on my HDTivo doesn't reflect HD; however, I can't imagine why local Fox wouldn't show it in HD.
post #7140 of 23471 Old 12-05-2006, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

Guide on my HDTivo doesn't reflect HD; however, I can't imagine why local Fox wouldn't show it in HD.

Same thing here. And I'll tell you why they won't show it in HD. It's not presented by FOX Sports it's presented by NFL Network, which will probably not release HD rights out to local broadcasters.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page