Old 05-18-2007, 10:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesummers View Post

Am I understanding you correctly- are you saying that with Time Warner (Akron?) Lifeline cable, I can get unencrypted QAM signals for all the local channels? If there's a reasonable chance of that, I'll have to experiment. I have a Media Center system with a pair of Cat's Eye 150 digital tuners, and I'm pretty sure the software that comes with them can do QAM (although media center can't). But if that works, I'll dump the 150's and get one of those Silicon Dust dual tuners that supposedly remaps QAM to make it work with MC.

Yes. I have lifeline basic... in Canton though. I was having trouble getting a good signal when I first tried and almost gave up, till I decided to add a PCT amplifier/splitter to the line and low and behold I now get the QAM signals. Sometimes I get breakups on the signal and don't know if that's normal with cable or if it's because I'm barely getting a signal due to the fact that I shouldn't be. I really don't know, but good luck in your endevor.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2007, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by salemtubes View Post

An attenuator reduces the signal strength. The Kay Elemetrics step attenuator is not powered; it is a passive device. You can buy attenuators at Solid Signal.

Salemtube, Thanks for the explanation. This seems like something I should experiment around with. It does appear from my analog stations that I do have some multi-path issues. While I do have tall trees and a medium hill in my way, I do get most of the Cleveland digitals off and on depending on the day (or weather). The small stealth antenna that I have may not be the best for my situation, but the wife didn't want a big antenna on top of the house . Once the analog transmissions go away and the spotty digital reception gets to be annoying, maybe she'll let me try a bigger antenna (and a rotor too). Again thanks for the details. The theory of reducing amplification may be what I need since I am right on the fringe area of short distance antenna and medium to long distance antenna.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD MM View Post

BTW, what is the point of 55.1, 55.2, 55.3? All simultaneously broadcasting the same thing on all three channels. What a waste!

It would appear that the plan is:

55.1 - WBNX-HD (CW HD in primetime, SD upconverted to 1080i)
55.2 - WBNX-DT (SD 480i, I'm presuming, meant to feed cable systems a 24/7 SD feed)
55.3 - WBNX-3 (perhaps the long-rumored "second channel", SD 480i, to do such things as run Rev. Angley's TV shows and other programming...this got brought up on his "Ninety and Nine Club" a ways back, in part in response to the main channel moving the show out of prime time to run "Friends" reruns)

I suspect at one point, WBNX-DT 55.2 will go away. Remember, WKYC did this on 3.2 before WeatherPlus showed up.

Oh, and WBNX isn't a WB affiliate anymore, since the network doesn't exist It's The CW now, of course, which really isn't any more relevant to me after the name change...
Old 05-19-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbones View Post

I have a problem with my HDTV antenna that started a week or so ago. When the leaves seemed to fill in. I have a Winegard 7080p and every station comes in at almost 100% except fox 8.1. It comes in between 70-80. The problem I have is that Fox 8.1 doesn't seem to be a stable signal, it bounces up down from 0-85 and makes it unwatchable. Before the leaves grew in I did not have this problem. What is causing this only on this station? The leaves? I am in the Bainbridge area. Thanks!

I used to have problems with a certain channel bouncing up and down too. It turned out to be that the signal was too strong. I got a variable attenuator from Radio Shack and dialed it down a bit and that stabilized it. The fact that you are getting 100% on all other channels makes me think that this could be your problem as well and it probably wouldn't hurt those channels if you reduced the signal strength a bit. Maybe the weather is giving you better reception or fox's signal output has been changed to make the signal stronger than it was before.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

Oh, and WBNX isn't a WB affiliate anymore, since the network doesn't exist It's The CW now, of course, which really isn't any more relevant to me after the name change...

Well, not exactly.

Warner Brothers still has an interest in it, along with CBS. Hence the CW name.

MY NAME IS NOT BILL (but you can call me hook)

Old 05-19-2007, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

55.1 - WBNX-HD (CW HD in primetime, SD upconverted to 1080i)
55.2 - WBNX-DT (SD 480i, I'm presuming, meant to feed cable systems a 24/7 SD feed)
55.3 - WBNX-3 (perhaps the long-rumored "second channel", SD 480i, to do such things as run Rev. Angley's TV shows and other programming...this got brought up on his "Ninety and Nine Club" a ways back, in part in response to the main channel moving the show out of prime time to run "Friends" reruns)

I suspect at one point, WBNX-DT 55.2 will go away. Remember, WKYC did this on 3.2 before WeatherPlus showed up.

Why would WBNX-DT need to have a SD channel on 55-2 if other channels don't have it? That sounds like an extremely stupid idea in that it would waste valuable space for HD content.

Whatever they decide to do as far as multicasting, I hope that they put some decent programming on their other channel. Someone had mentioned retro programming, which I would really like, but I don't know how anyone would've gotten this idea or if that speculation has any merit.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I went to a website to check the specs for the 7777 and they indeed stated 2.0 db noise figure. This would in practicality put your receiver in the -100 dbm range for 20 db quieting. (900 mghz) This would compare with a $100,000.00 parametric amplifier in the same frequency range. I would have to test that baby myself to see if they are maybe pulling my leg a little bit. A noise figure of 6 or 8 db would put you around -85 dbm for 20 db quieting. Well what the hell, I'll buy it anyway.
JJK
Old 05-20-2007, 09:24 AM

Is it my receiver's problem or is WQHS-DT off air?

Tony
Old 05-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLaz View Post

Is it my receiver's problem or is WQHS-DT off air?

We weren't getting the digital version(61-1) last night but the analog was up. I just checked and 61-1 is still out. The only good news -- it's not Tony's receiver... ^_^

"HDTV makes today a great time to be alive"
Old 05-20-2007, 12:01 PM

Hi guys, I'm new in the area and this forum came up in a search. I'm a Time Warner customer and I was wondering if there were any rumors concerning CW in HD via TW.

It's a large thread so if it's already been asked, I apologize in advance.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhdliving View Post

Hi guys, I'm new in the area and this forum came up in a search. I'm a Time Warner customer and I was wondering if there were any rumors concerning CW in HD via TW.

It's a large thread so if it's already been asked, I apologize in advance.

As of yet I haven't heard anything. Maybe if they don't have it by next fall I may attempt to put a small antenna on my S3 just for that one station. That is if I can convince my wife.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

Why would WBNX-DT need to have a SD channel on 55-2 if other channels don't have it? That sounds like an extremely stupid idea in that it would waste valuable space for HD content.

Back In The Day (HDTV-wise), WKYC used to waste 3-2 for an SD 480i feed, and used the same excuse about feeding cable systems with it.

At the time, their third subchannel was a low-bitrate weather radar feed.

Somewhere around the time that they added WeatherPlus, they dumped the SD subchannel feed.

Note that nowhere has WBNX announced or even hinted that there will be an SD feed on 55-2. That's just a semi-educated guess on my part, based on the above history, the fact WBNX doesn't have news/weather/etc. to refeed (let alone their own radar), and the labeling of the new 55-3 subchannel as WBNX-3 on the PSIP.

It may not mean anything. They may even put the "extra channel" on 2 and something else on 3. But if they're only adding one subchannel, why 55-3, labeled WBNX-3? That's not a mistake...they had to actively label it that in the PSIP ("WBNX-3").
Old 05-20-2007, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I mentioned a few messages back, WBNX had originally expected to ONLY be on cable/satellite (in HD) starting back in October. That never happened, and the on-air DT went up first recently.

It would be a safe presumption that they'll be on TWC eventually, based on the above. But I haven't heard anything, either.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:

Back In The Day (HDTV-wise), WKYC used to waste 3-2 for an SD 480i feed, and used the same excuse about feeding cable systems with it.

At the time, their third subchannel was a low-bitrate weather radar feed.

Somewhere around the time that they added WeatherPlus, they dumped the SD subchannel feed.

Note that nowhere has WBNX announced or even hinted that there will be an SD feed on 55-2. That's just a semi-educated guess on my part, based on the above history, the fact WBNX doesn't have news/weather/etc. to refeed (let alone their own radar), and the labeling of the new 55-3 subchannel as WBNX-3 on the PSIP.

It may not mean anything. They may even put the "extra channel" on 2 and something else on 3. But if they're only adding one subchannel, why 55-3, labeled WBNX-3? That's not a mistake...they had to actively label it that in the PSIP ("WBNX-3").

Here's a question, what happens when everything goes digital for those without an HDTV if there's no SD subchannel?

This is assuming someone has a digital SDTV.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAmmo View Post

Here's a question, what happens when everything goes digital for those without an HDTV if there's no SD subchannel?

This is assuming someone has a digital SDTV.

The government is going to give every household two $40 coupons to help pay for the cost of an OTA converter box. I assume the box will have the option to letterbox or crop the main HD 16:9 channel on the old 4:3 SDTV.

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/dtvcoupon/index.html
Old 05-21-2007, 05:50 AM

Quote:

As I mentioned a few messages back, WBNX had originally expected to ONLY be on cable/satellite (in HD) starting back in October. That never happened, and the on-air DT went up first recently.

It would be a safe presumption that they'll be on TWC eventually, based on the above. But I haven't heard anything, either.

Well then hopefully by next fall. Thanks for the reply.

I have a TiVo S3 so maybe I can put an indoor antenna and pick it up that way. Anyone else in Chagrin Falls area able to get it OTA with an indoor antenna?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ddyG View Post

Can someone explain why the numbering is messed up, and how I can fix it?

The channels you're receiving are not the broadcasted channels, but are the QAM ATSC channels that Cox provides unencrypted. There's nothing you can do about the numbering except for getting a cable card from Cox which will map them to where they can be found on the Cox channel lineup.

This all seems pretty strange since you don't subscribe to cable service.

My posts are my own opinions and suggestions and do not represent those of my employer or other staff members.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryfoster View Post

The channels you're receiving are not the broadcasted channels, but are the QAM ATSC channels that Cox provides unencrypted. There's nothing you can do about the numbering except for getting a cable card from Cox which will map them to where they can be found on the Cox channel lineup.

This all seems pretty strange since you don't subscribe to cable service.

Get a cable card? Why that would mean he would have to pay for something! Where's your head at?

Old 05-21-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill View Post

Get a cable card? Why that would mean he would have to pay for something! Where's your head at?

I deleted the post. Clearly I didn't know that I wasn't supposed to receive those channels, I just thought it was OTA broadcast. Sorry if I caused trouble.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ddyG View Post

I deleted the post. Clearly I didn't know that I wasn't supposed to receive those channels, I just thought it was OTA broadcast. Sorry if I caused trouble.

If you truly didn't understand what was going on then that's OK. I guess my response is because I do pay a great deal of money for cable/HD and I get a bit irritated when I see someone talking about how they get HD off the cable for free. Even if you pay for high speed internet that still doesn't give you the right to tap into the cable and get their unencrypted stations. Just because they are unencrypted doesn't mean you're still not stealing cable.

Just my opinion and I probably feel that way not so much from a "moral" perspective but by the simple fact that I don't like to see someone get for free what I pay for. It happens all the time. You really didn't need to delete the post I was just giving you something to think about in my usual sarcastic manner.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:06 AM

Quote:

I get a bit irritated when I see someone talking about how they get HD off the cable for free.

Do you really think they would have unencrypted HD channels floating around on their system? While I don't subscribe to cable (Time Warner in my area), I know the HD channels are like the top shelf, premium of the premium plans. I would figure just SD local channels (basic "lifeline" package) are what they leave out there unencrypted. Am I wrong?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ya, gimmie a break. TW really doesn't give a crap about you watching their unencrypted local tv channels. They make hundreds of millions of dollars from people with their monopoly on cable tv. If anything, it'll probably give people a taste of what HD really is and will make them want more, so then they'll call Warner and order a nice HD package and rent a bunch of boxes for a total of $200 a month for the rest of their lives.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
Old 05-22-2007, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTXer View Post

Do you really think they would have unencrypted HD channels floating around on their system? While I don't subscribe to cable (Time Warner in my area), I know the HD channels are like the top shelf, premium of the premium plans. I would figure just SD local channels (basic "lifeline" package) are what they leave out there unencrypted. Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong. TWC usually have the local digital broadcast channels that they carry (read as local HD channels) unencrypted in their stream along with some channels they sometimes don't intend to leave unencrypted. This is pretty common practice among the big cable operators (TWC, Comcast, etc).

My posts are my own opinions and suggestions and do not represent those of my employer or other staff members.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTXer View Post

To follow up on what TerryFoster said, when I first got my S3 without cable cards I was able to get unencrypted HD channels, along with some other unecrypted digital channels (like the music channels). The only one I couldn't get was FOX for some reason.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Ya, gimmie a break. TW really doesn't give a crap about you watching their unencrypted local tv channels. They make hundreds of millions of dollars from people with their monopoly on cable tv. If anything, it'll probably give people a taste of what HD really is and will make them want more, so then they'll call Warner and order a nice HD package and rent a bunch of boxes for a total of $200 a month for the rest of their lives.

Well, Smarty-pants (I've been dying to say that) yes I think TW does care if you're stealing cable. If you don't think so and you're doing it pm me your address and I'll drop a dime on you. Then we will see how much they care.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, Smarty-pants (I've been dying to say that) yes I think TW does care if you're stealing cable. If you don't think so and you're doing it pm me your address and I'll drop a dime on you. Then we will see how much they care.

I pay for basic cable Bill so... no theiving goin' on here. I never said they didn't care if you're stealing cable.

There is a reason it's called unencrypted. I guess if someone was not a cable subscriber and was receiving cable and watching it, that could be concidered stealing in the eyes of an ultra-concervative do-gooder.

There is a common term associated with a certain amount of lost revanue taht companies refer to as "shrink". A certain amount of product is going to be used/consumed/stolen and the profit potential for that action is lost. Just like any other company, warner has a shink value figured into their profit margins.
Do they care that they are not squeezing every red cent out of all their customers? I'm sure they do, but let's keep it real. They could really care less in general wether some people are get a few unencrypted channels without bill-pay, because at the end of the day, they're laughing all the way to the bank.

There are many ways you could view this type of situation. One could have the opinion that warner has left their cable attached to the house, so if they want to send any information through that line free of charge then that is on them. If warner doesn't want me to use that line, then they should disconnect it from the house.
To me, that is a viable arguement.
One could also say that warner could put the proper filters on the line, but it's their fault for not doing so.

My brother used to work for TW for many years. They say they audit the lines, but they don't... ever. When it comes down to it, they really DON'T care.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Old 05-22-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My brother used to work for TW for many years. They say they audit the lines, but they don't... ever. When it comes down to it, they really DON'T care.

When you say your brother worked for TW was it really TW? Or Adelphia? Reason I ask is shortly after Adelphia got taken over by TW they launched a media campaign saying they were going to audit. Now that could have been bs for all I know, but I never saw Adelphia doing that.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

When you say your brother worked for TW was it really TW? Or Adelphia? Reason I ask is shortly after Adelphia got taken over by TW they launched a media campaign saying they were going to audit. Now that could have been bs for all I know, but I never saw Adelphia doing that.

It was TW (Canton/Akron). He left maybe about 4-5 years ago. TW actually used to put commercials on tv saying that they were auditing the lines and that if you had an ilegal connection, you could turn yourself in and there would be no penalty or action taken against you. It was toal BS and they never audited the lines.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Old 05-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It was TW (Canton/Akron). He left maybe about 4-5 years ago. TW actually used to put commercials on tv saying that they were auditing the lines and that if you had an ilegal connection, you could turn yourself in and there would be no penalty or action taken against you. It was toal BS and they never audited the lines.

I personally know that a crew is auditing in the NEO area as I type this.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a TiVo S3 so maybe I can put an indoor antenna and pick it up that way. Anyone else in Chagrin Falls area able to get it OTA with an indoor antenna?

WBNX-DT is up in the Parma antenna farm with all the other TV stations, and I believe they are running maximum power on their digital station. If you can get digital 3/5/8/19/43, you should get 55 in DT form.

(Well, 3 and 19 are sometimes problem children because they're on the VHF band DT-wise, but 5, 8, 43, 55 and 61 are on UHF digitally.)

I don't recall anyone on here from Chagrin Falls, but an indoor antenna might not be enough from that far out - for any of the Cleveland market stations.