Oh well, 3 OTA Browns games in HD this year would have been much too nice

BTW, that was a GREAT game!
post #183 of 23475 Old 10-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The HD broadcast on ESPN looked very good. As my buddy said, the Browns are 2-0 when in HD!!!!

Jim
post #184 of 23475 Old 10-06-2003, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For you Comcast people who haven't heard the news yet, they hope to roll out up to 7+ HD channels by 12/01/03. I was able to Beta Test the Browns game yesterday, and was able to do a Directv/Comcast A/B test, and to my surprise, Comcast won out.

Ben Music
post #185 of 23475 Old 10-06-2003, 02:18 PM

I received a letter today offering me digital cable with an option for HDTV.

They don't commit to anything precisely in the letter, other than a free installation and trial period.

So I'll call them tomorrow to try to get some details. A newspaper article yesterday indicated there would be a monthly additional fee for the HDTV option -- a major portion of that being the rental of the receiver.

Stan Z
post #186 of 23475 Old 10-06-2003, 05:02 PM

So does that mean cable companies have opted to no longer compress the HD signal? I wish I knew how Adelphia's HD will compare to the dish.

On another note, for anyone keeping track, I moved my antenna to outside instead of in the attic, took 2 tries though. The first spot I put it I was trying to pickup the signal through the peak in my house. This spot was toward the back of the house and would have looked better from the street. I was hoping just being outside was going to solve my problems. 6 unnecessary holes in my house, a cable splice (I could have avoided), and a tube of caulk later, and I'm finally enjoying all the channels with strong reception...Although I no longer get channel 68 which is no loss.

So, a note to anyone purchasing the Radio Shack HDTV antenna, mount it outside instead of in the attic.

Note to self, try to stop putting anymore holes in the house or your wife will take away your drill.
post #187 of 23475 Old 10-06-2003, 09:48 PM

I live in Akron, and with the roof top antenna that was left by the previous home owner I am able to get WOIO, WUAB, WEWS and WJWDT with all near 100% (20db+) signal. However I can only get short burts of WKYC (VHF channel 2) if I'm lucky. For the most part though WKYC doesn't come in at all.

Is the WKYC thing just me? Should I look at the antenna? From the ground it appears to be a pretty descent 80"+ Yagi with a UHF bowtie. A single piece of 300ohm twin lead comes down from the roof which I convert to 75ohm RG6 as soon as it hits the house. Would running RG6 all the way to the antenna produce much signal gain? Should I install an amplifier at the antenna? Should I get a new antenna?

Thanks for your help.
post #188 of 23475 Old 10-07-2003, 06:46 AM

Quote:

I live in Akron, and with the roof top antenna that was left by the previous home owner

I am in the same situation, with an old antenna left by the previous owners of our house, and got lucky - I get all cleveland area digital OTA signals, including WKYC.

I think I would try to re-aim the antenna first to see if you can get WKYC without much signal drop from the other stations.

Here is a pic of my antenna, I have no idea what kind it is, just thought it might be helpful for comparison.
LL
post #189 of 23475 Old 10-07-2003, 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mchil
Here is a pic of my antenna, I have no idea what kind it is, just thought it might be helpful for comparison. [/b]

Looks almost like mine, but I'll take a picture tonite.

The antenna is aimed in the general direction of cleveland. Howver the antenna is really high up on one side of the house and would be difficult to aim. Is 3rd party service on this kinda stuff affordable?
post #190 of 23475 Old 10-07-2003, 02:42 PM

Just wanted to add my support for this thread. I too am in the greater Cleveland area and would love to help out!

What was once tame is now wild.
post #191 of 23475 Old 10-07-2003, 07:37 PM

I just spoke with a Comcast customer service person, and she told me HDTV will be available in the Cleveland area (N. Ridgeville for me) by the end of this month. She told me the receiver is free, but I have to pay the $5.99 a month fee for it just like another digital box. She said no other monthly fee will be charged for the programming other than having to pay for the HBO or Showtime standard package.

She said (and their website lists) the following channels will be available in HDTV on startup:

NBC (WKYC)
Fox (WJW) Enhanced widescreen of course
ESPN
HBO
Showtime
In Demand HD1
In Demand HD2

I already have HBO and SHO, so if they indeed are giving ESPN for free, then I will have all seven channels offered

It's about time!

Rob
post #192 of 23475 Old 10-08-2003, 05:30 AM

What no Discovery HD?? I hope that's available for Adelphia.
post #193 of 23475 Old 10-08-2003, 06:04 AM

I'm in Mentor. Comcast is scheduled to install at my house on next Tuesday.

The deal they quoted me, a current Comcast analog customer, is $14.95 a month for Digital Plus and HDTV and the receiver. The first two months and the installation are free.

It's amazing how serious they are about this. They went public with a demo on Sunday; I received a letter with the offer on Monday; and on Tuesday night we received a telemarketing call. (Since we're customers, they can telemarket.)

The times -- they are a-changin'.

Stan Z
post #194 of 23475 Old 10-08-2003, 06:54 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 118
My sound problems with the Cleveland CBS digital station (19-1) have cleared up during the last few days. However, now I'm getting frequent (every minute or so) pixelation or drop outs that last maybe half a second. I don't experience this on the other digital stations.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,
Richard
post #195 of 23475 Old 10-08-2003, 07:01 AM

I have always had momentary dropouts with CBS but very rarely with NBC or ABC. Some days CBS is good and on other days it seems to drop out. Occasionally it is so bad that it is unwatchable. I'm in Avon Lake.
post #196 of 23475 Old 10-08-2003, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Richard,

I was having very bad drops during the SEC game on Saturday. I haven't watched it since then, so I can't comment on the past few days.

Jim
post #197 of 23475 Old 10-08-2003, 07:28 AM

Here is the text I received from my latest query to Adelphia on getting HD:

Dear Mr. Henson:

Thank you for contacting Adelphia regarding services we offer.

HDTV will be available to you before the end of 2003. Local broadcast stations, HBO and Showtime will be available in HD format. A high definition television and Adelphia leased equipment will be needed to receive programming in HD format. There will be an additional monthly charge to lease the Adelphia equipment.

Thank you again for your interest in services offered by Adelphia Communications.
Rita Georgian

Since I have a tuner for over-the-air I would like them to offer ESPN and Discovery HD to make the switch more attractive. However, it is finally coming.
post #198 of 23475 Old 10-08-2003, 08:28 AM

Discovery HD is a great channel, but I don't think many companies will add it without a $5-10 price increase (based of E* and D* pricing). ESPN HD is barely an HD channel. Playmakers and 1-2 sporting events are the only HD coverage each week. Sure the games look great, but they need to build more trucks before they can offer much variety. HDnet and HDmovies are solid channels. I think Comcast owns INHD1 and 2, so that is likely why they can offer an HD package without a price increase right now. It will be interesting to see what the various providers do to handle the increased bandwidth requirements and programming choices. D* is almost out of bandwidth until next year, while E* has space for almost 50 HD channels. I don't know if bandwidth is a problem for the cable providers.

Have any of the cable companies commited to providing all of the local HD feeds? Fox and NBC are nice, but without a (hopefully clean) feed of CBS I will stick to using my antenna.

Moving Target...6 holes in the roof...you might be able to use them to mount a dish and start getting DiscoveryHD this weekend.
post #199 of 23475 Old 10-08-2003, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Adelphia has a separate website for Southern California and I've been looking at what HD stations they are currently offering there, since that was their initial HD rollout. It looks like they only offer ABC, NBC, PBS, HBO, and Showtime; no ESPN or CBS. Since nobody from Adelphia is giving details for the Cleveland rollout, I guess we'll just have to wait a little while longer.
post #200 of 23475 Old 10-08-2003, 09:29 AM

That sucks, I think I am ready to make the switch from D* to adelphia. I already use them for Cable Modem and get their "free" basic cable feed with that.

What was once tame is now wild.
post #201 of 23475 Old 10-08-2003, 09:33 AM

Mr Taylor, 6 holes in the side of my house and I'm leaving for Maui tomorrow so I don't need no stinking dish THIS weekend.
post #202 of 23475 Old 10-08-2003, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Say what you will about D*'s compressed signal. But it's much better than Adelphia's cable signal. When I had Adelphia it was the worst SD PQ I ever saw....the local NBC would have constant ghosting. I just couldn't take it anymore and switched to D* for a better PQ, HD channels & NFL Sunday ticket.

Adelphia would have to offer a lot to get me to switch back.

Jim
post #203 of 23475 Old 10-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

On a positive note for Adelphia. They will offer the HD package to all digital service levels. From their website which has a new FAQ regarding the new cable TV plans available to customers. This is fine, but I would like to know if you can get the HD package if you only subscribe to basic cable.

"How does changing the packaging (and pricing) on the digital offerings get Adelphia ready for new services like HDTV, VOD and high-speed Internet? Will the increased rates I'm paying go towards putting in new services? What if I don't want new services?

The repackaging of our digital product is one step forward in Adelphia's mission to bring customers a broad and valuable range of entertainment and technology offerings. However, our focus is more about expanding customer choices than it is about providing every innovation available. Adelphia is exploring both HDTV and video on-demand offerings, and we are currently providing a base selection of HDTV programming in areas surrounding Los Angeles, expanding availability by the end of the year to a number of additional markets. In a number of key markets, the availability of HDTV for an additional $8 to $10 per month will be integrated into the unveiling of new digital cable packages and will be available at every level of service."

Here's the link:

http://www.adelphia.com/cable_entert...aks_faqs.cfm#1
post #204 of 23475 Old 10-08-2003, 01:36 PM

I used to have a REALLY REALLY bad picture with Adelphia, but when they upgraded the wiring in Brunswick in June, the quality got about 500 times better. Really a very noticable difference.
post #205 of 23475 Old 10-08-2003, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
CBS has been dropping out for a while. Since the SEC game. Signal strength stays the same, but picture drops so its a WOIO problem since all of us are experiencing it.
post #206 of 23475 Old 10-08-2003, 05:59 PM

Mansfield Report. Get all CLE HD channels with the exception of NBC. It simply does not have enough signal. When they first came on the air with HD a year or so ago everything was fine, a beautiful picture, escpecailly Leno, but now nothing. Analog signal is also the worse of all stations out of CLE. Anyone know if they have any plans to boost their signal?
Thanks
post #207 of 23475 Old 10-09-2003, 06:49 AM

Anyone else experience frequent audio dropouts last night on WKYC? It happened all through West Wing and Law and Order. There was also the occasional pixelizing as well.

What causes this?? Is it atmospheric?(Weather was clear last night) Equipment? (all of my OTA signals are 85% and above) Or, is it the fault of the stations??

I just don't get why it only happens every now and then. Anyone have the answer? Do these dropouts happen to everyone?
post #208 of 23475 Old 10-09-2003, 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mchil
Do these dropouts happen to everyone?

I can't answer for everyone but WKYC is a pain for me here in Brunswick. I get momentary drops 4 to 5 times an hour. My situatiuon is reversed from yours. "Sometimes" I don't get drops.
post #209 of 23475 Old 10-09-2003, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

All I can say is WKYC is very inconsistent....one day it's perfect and one day it's horrible. I'm using an small indoor antenna in Strongsville, so I tend to blame it on my setup, but I've heard other with outdoor antennas complain at times. I didn't wee NBC last night, but I did have a few drops during Las Vegas the other day.

Jim
post #210 of 23475 Old 10-09-2003, 07:23 AM

MovingTarget...while you are in Maui, could you film your scuba dives in HD for me (I think that's as close as I can get to Maui for years)? In return, I'll throw a tarp over the holes in your roof if it rains while you are gone . Have a great trip.

Looks like we should expect problems with CSI again tonight (still see reports of CBS problems). Is there someone at CBS we should contact tonight if we see problems? If we all call, maybe someone will look into the problem.

mchil, I noticed problems with WKYC before the Browns game on Sunday, but I switched to ESPN HD to watch the game and haven't watched channel 3 since. My signal strength is typically in the 80s, so I don't know what causes the problems either.

-Jeff
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page