Forum Jump: 

post #22141 of 23471 Old 05-08-2010, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill View Post

We don't get them on TiVo either. Just cable companies boxes.

Hook, I've seen that banner on my TiVo - it was on there this morning when I turned it on (had to hit clear to get rid of it).

I've also seen it happen on content that was recorded when there was a watch.

I wouldn't mind knowing more about how that stuff works and how the signal gets fed into the cable system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22142 of 23471 Old 05-08-2010, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've seen it but I don't believe it was on my TiVo. And how could hitting clear on the TiVo remote clear a cable message? Doesnt make sense. Well I believe you saw it so I must be wrong. I honestly havent seen it myself. Interesting.

MY NAME IS NOT BILL (but you can call me hook)

post #22143 of 23471 Old 05-08-2010, 07:36 PM

I don't think it's actually broadcast as part of the picture. It's almost like it's a separate 'command' or out-of-band data that gets sent to the TiVo. Like the cable headend is telling all boxes "Hey, display this warning!" and then the STBs themselves are responsible for how it actually gets displayed. Probably similar concept to closed captioning (except not optional).
post #22144 of 23471 Old 05-08-2010, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am both without box and without TiVo right now (long story). Contemplating if I'll stay without a box. As mentioned, I get the local HD stations via clear QAM, and am not really missing the HD stuff on the cable channels.

The TiVo explanation is easy. The Series 2 (non-HD) boxes get fed by the cable boxes, assuming you have them. The messages, if you see them, are coming from the cable box.

Meanwhile, hookbill has an HD TiVo, which uses cable cards...and doesn't use the TWC SA/whatever boxes.
post #22145 of 23471 Old 05-08-2010, 08:04 PM

I'm also using an HD TiVo. I really do think it's an out-of-band message.

Anyway, as for getting rid of the boxes... it would be really nice if the basic cable channels came through clear QAM
post #22146 of 23471 Old 05-09-2010, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Another weekend and HD channels not coming in. Waiting on the tech to show up again. I have only a handful of weekends since December that I haven't had problems.
post #22147 of 23471 Old 05-09-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenager62 View Post

Another weekend and HD channels not coming in. Waiting on the tech to show up again. I have only a handful of weekends since December that I haven't had problems.

I had a few HD channels not working yesterday. Fortunately, I also had a tech out.

Basically, we determined that a particular frequency wasn't working properly.

As we all (should) know, with SDV, channels can get assigned to different frequencies.

Yesterday, all the channels that were pixellated for me were the ones coming in on 573MHz and 567MHz. But all the others seemed to be fine.

I'm going to begin going to the diagnostic screen whenever I see a channel that has interference and I will log the frequency it's on.

My issue has been escalated.
post #22148 of 23471 Old 05-09-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awyeah View Post

I had a few HD channels not working yesterday. Fortunately, I also had a tech out.

Basically, we determined that a particular frequency wasn't working properly.

As we all (should) know, with SDV, channels can get assigned to different frequencies.

Yesterday, all the channels that were pixellated for me were the ones coming in on 573MHz and 567MHz. But all the others seemed to be fine.

I'm going to begin going to the diagnostic screen whenever I see a channel that has interference and I will log the frequency it's on.

My issue has been escalated.

I agree, there seem to have been a problem on the frequency that the Weather Channel HD was on. Lots of freeze ups on Friday.

post #22149 of 23471 Old 05-09-2010, 09:04 AM

Going forward... keep track of what frequencies are causing problems. To find the frequency of the channel that you're on (this works at least on my SA boxes):

Hold down the "VOL+" and "INFO" buttons on the front of the box for a few seconds.

Right on that front page, you'll see "Inband Network" - and then a frequency and the QAM type. Keep track of the frequency of all the channels that are failing.

There are two listings there (Inband Network-1 and Inband Network-2). Inband Network-2 is only populated if you're using a DVR with two tuners. I'm not really sure how to determine which tuner you're currently watching on the DVR since I don't have one.
post #22150 of 23471 Old 05-09-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Tech didn't show up yet, was suppose to be here by noon. I did get $20 off my bill.
post #22151 of 23471 Old 05-09-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Tech didn't show up yet, was suppose to be here by noon. I did get $20 off my bill.

Cable guy finally showed up. He didn't do much, but he did admit there was a bandwidth problem in the area.
post #22152 of 23471 Old 05-09-2010, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cable guy finally showed up. He didn't do much, but he did admit there was a bandwidth problem in the area.

What does that mean? A bandwidth problem in the area? Then they should fix it, not just shrug their shoulders and say, "yeah theirs a problem in the area."

post #22153 of 23471 Old 05-09-2010, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Yes, that's right. My boxless TV had no banner except from the local stations, while the HDTV with the cablebox had a bright red "TORNADO WATCH" crawl across the top of the screen and a continuous, loud, grating noise over the audio\\, and it went on for hours and hours...

The alarm noise makes the whole system worthless. During the storm the weather people were giving storm information, but the continuous alarm made the station unwatchable!

On another note:
A little later in the evening one of the stations ran a banner "For current storm information go to WXXX.com" but in my neighborhood many homes had no working connection to the web, even if they still had power. I thought that OTA stations had responsibilities during emergencies.

Kevin
post #22154 of 23471 Old 05-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post

A little later in the evening one of the stations ran a banner "For current storm information go to WXXX.com" but in my neighborhood many homes had no working connection to the web, even if they still had power. I thought that OTA stations had responsibilities during emergencies.

Kevin, can you PM me with the call letters of the station that did that?
post #22155 of 23471 Old 05-10-2010, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathode Kid View Post

Kevin, can you PM me with the call letters of the station that did that?

WKYC!! It was WKYC!! They always do that. They run their weather crawl at warp speed, one time through, telling people to visit their website. It always says "for the latest forecast information visit wkyc.com"

I don't see why the OP tried to "censor" the station's name. Anyone watching TV knows who it is.
post #22156 of 23471 Old 05-11-2010, 04:24 AM

I actually prefer the alerts over the cable box to the crawls on the station. At least they arent' recorded with the program the way station crawls are. The other night we had a couple, and I simply paused the dvr during the alert (the alert continued). When the alert finished, I resumed the playback.
post #22157 of 23471 Old 05-11-2010, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

You can probably do that even if you're watching live tv, provided you have a DVR. Pretty smart.

post #22158 of 23471 Old 05-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You can probably do that even if you're watching live tv, provided you have a DVR. Pretty smart.

It maskes sense from a consumer-friendliness standpoint to treat all text crawls such as weather bulletins as an overlay, inserted at the edge device, rather than embedded into program video, ruining their recording. This would give the viewer some control over whether that crawl gets recorded over their favorite movie. It's easy enough to allow the viewer to control parameters like font size and color, background color, crawl speed etc, yet still allowing the broadcaster to prevent the viewer from turning off critical EAS bulletins. I think that this will happen someday, now that the digital infrastructure is mostly in place to enable this.
post #22159 of 23471 Old 05-11-2010, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you Johnson!! That was some really classy work on the part of channel 5 to tape delay Dancing with the Stars and Lost, then JiP "V" at 10:17pm. I suppose we should be glad that they even bothered to show all of DWTS and Lost, since there was 15 minutes of unnecessary squawking about weather, weather not even in the area at one point, from 8 to 8:15. You may advertise as "first in Ohio", but you're last in class, again.
post #22160 of 23471 Old 05-12-2010, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

Thank you Johnson!! That was some really classy work on the part of channel 5 to tape delay Dancing with the Stars and Lost, then JiP "V" at 10:17pm. I suppose we should be glad that they even bothered to show all of DWTS and Lost, since there was 15 minutes of unnecessary squawking about weather, weather not even in the area at one point, from 8 to 8:15. You may advertise as "first in Ohio", but you're last in class, again.

+1, but it wasn't hard to figure out at 10:17 who cut up Lisa's face.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #22161 of 23471 Old 05-14-2010, 01:45 PM

Hey,
We have gone three days without any problems. That is a new record.
post #22162 of 23471 Old 05-14-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Speak for yourself, 2 days ago I was on the phone with the most clueless rep trying to get my tuner adapter connected. I ended up going to cable card support.

The rep was so clueless she actually offered me the 800 number, which they don't want you to call directly.

Cable Card Rep told me they are trying to narrow down the problem. I said everyone I know on line that has a TiVo has an issue with the tuner adapter about once a month. Since I have two of them I call bi weekly now. He said, OK talk to you in two weeks.

Just kidding. He did find it interesting that the problem was that regular and told me he was shooting off some information about my boxes to their engineering department. I don't expect much to happen.

post #22163 of 23471 Old 05-14-2010, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was at my uncle's house the other night...he has an HD box, and I heard the horrible EAS noise for the Tornado Watch of the Week. I don't think it stuck, though.
post #22164 of 23471 Old 05-14-2010, 10:03 PM

Last Friday, my TA started with it's monthly eight-blink thing... (Wondering if my TA is a woman.) Didn't have time to mess with it for a few days. When I finally got around to it, I pulled the USB and power cords, powered it up, waited, connected USB, everything the CC group usually has me do. Still had the eight-blink problem (as expected, since they didn't send a hit.) Got sidetracked...

The weird thing is a few hours later, I saw that the LED was on solid. No SDV channels yet, but pulled the USB cord for a few seconds - when I plugged it back in, I got the "TA has been connected" message on the Tivo, and all of the SDV channels were back.

I'll have to try this again when it bombs out in a few weeks. I'm wondering if TWC has made some changes that may end up actually fixing this problem...
post #22165 of 23471 Old 05-15-2010, 12:10 PM

I had a tech come to my home last week, because I was having trouble over the weekend with SDV. He told me, yeah I know I live down the street from you and I have the same problems.
post #22166 of 23471 Old 05-18-2010, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Here is my latest problem and it makes me want to smash my DVR to bits with a sledgehammer.

At, lets say 2 PM, I want to record a show that night. I setup the recording through the guide and everything works okay. The show is highlighted in red, it says REC and in the list, scheduled recordings, it is there. I also have one other show set to record at the same time. No overlaps, all is good. When the time comes, one show starts to record, the other does not. If I go into the guide at say 7:59 PM the show is listed to record. At 8 PM the show does not record. In the guide it is no longer red, it is not in the list, etc. If I turn to the channel and hit record manually it comes up with the REC in the information for the show but it does not record it. If I go to the guide to record it says it will but it doesn't record it.

Doesn't happen for every recording (it DOES record 2 shows sometimes) but it happens almost daily. Hesitant to call TW because I know they will take the DVR and I will loose my recorded shows that I haven't watched yet.

Sometimes if I am watching a show and hit record, it does not record the show (even though it shows REC in the information of the show after I hit the rec button).

Frustrating as all get out. I have missed so many shows the last couple weeks.

post #22167 of 23471 Old 05-18-2010, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Here is my latest problem and it makes me want to smash my DVR to bits with a sledgehammer.

At, lets say 2 PM, I want to record a show that night. I setup the recording through the guide and everything works okay. The show is highlighted in red, it says REC and in the list, scheduled recordings, it is there. I also have one other show set to record at the same time. No overlaps, all is good. When the time comes, one show starts to record, the other does not. If I go into the guide at say 7:59 PM the show is listed to record. At 8 PM the show does not record. In the guide it is no longer red, it is not in the list, etc. If I turn to the channel and hit record manually it comes up with the REC in the information for the show but it does not record it. If I go to the guide to record it says it will but it doesn't record it.

Doesn't happen for every recording (it DOES record 2 shows sometimes) but it happens almost daily. Hesitant to call TW because I know they will take the DVR and I will loose my recorded shows that I haven't watched yet.

Sometimes if I am watching a show and hit record, it does not record the show (even though it shows REC in the information of the show after I hit the rec button).

Frustrating as all get out. I have missed so many shows the last couple weeks.

Ah, the adventures of the SA 8300! I take it you don't have an eSATA hooked up correct? If you do, that may be your issue.

Really all you can do is tape your shows off your hard drive to (gulp) VCR or a DVD Recorder (which doesn't work well) and exchange it for another DVR. I'd say for the majority of people these DVR's work but there seems to be a certain percentage, myself included who have had some serious issues with it. I went through 3 of them before I shelled out the bucks for a TiVo. I still have one and from what my wife reports to me she has no issues at this time.

post #22168 of 23471 Old 05-18-2010, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

Ah, the adventures of the SA 8300! I take it you don't have an eSATA hooked up correct? If you do, that may be your issue.

Really all you can do is tape your shows off your hard drive to (gulp) VCR or a DVD Recorder (which doesn't work well) and exchange it for another DVR. I'd say for the majority of people these DVR's work but there seems to be a certain percentage, myself included who have had some serious issues with it. I went through 3 of them before I shelled out the bucks for a TiVo. I still have one and from what my wife reports to me she has no issues at this time.

No eSATA. This sucks and is a weird problem to be intermittent. I am dreading loosing all the shows I have recorded, a large portion are from like HBO so I can't watch them on-line (legally). Bummer.

post #22169 of 23471 Old 05-18-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Wanna borrow my chain and drag that box back to TWC?

It's fun, trust me!!
post #22170 of 23471 Old 05-18-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Today they sent out another letter saying they plan on using a "new technology" called SDV so certain less frequently viewed channels can be ran on. What was the point of this letter? Who the hell knows. My best guess is they are hoping that people with cable cards in their television will get so pissed that they can't receive the channels they use to get will wave a white flag and say OK, we will take your box.

You know currently on just one of my TiVo HD recorders I have 135 shows recorded, all in HD. 135 shows. And I never worry about missing a recording. I'm set for the entire Summer when everything is in repeat. On my other TiVo which only has a 500 gb eSATA I have 139 shows recorded, the majority of those are in SD.

Try doing that with an SA 8300 and a 1TB eSATA. I'll bet you miss a good 25 % of your total recorded shows, either partial recordings or just not recorded at all. That was when I had the most errors was when I had an eSATA set up with it. Frustrating as hell.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page